These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Great Ice Mining Interdiction: Not so Great

First post
Author
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#741 - 2013-08-24 17:48:19 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
And when I see Goons kill miners there is no one there to get the loot usually. I sat for 15 minutes and watched a freighter wreck and no one bothered to loot it because it was probaly a pain to haul 500 units of ice.

Name & shame. Standing orders are to destroy the wreck.

Wait, you mean Goons aren't suicide ganking for profit? Maybe you and baltec need to get your stories straight.

We are, that's the point of destroying dirty highsec ice. Why would we risk a freighter to pick up the ice when we can just blow it up?

Wheres the profit in the destruction of?

That's exactly like asking how we profit from ice interdictions.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#742 - 2013-08-24 17:50:01 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:

"Like"... uh, you second guess people a lot don't you?

It's a pretty straight forward question.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Dave Stark
#743 - 2013-08-24 17:50:39 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

no, that wasn't about suicide ganking. that was merely a statement to say "blowing up a wreck full of ice still provides profit" nothing more, nothing less.

So it doesn't belong in this topic then. Got it.

thread about ice interdiction.
pointing out a freighter full of ice provides profit.

doesn't belong here? are you sure?
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#744 - 2013-08-24 17:52:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Dave Stark wrote:

thread about ice interdiction.
pointing out a freighter full of ice provides profit.

doesn't belong here? are you sure?

Considering we are talking about suicide ganking? Yes, I'm pretty sure. Let me go double check the progress of the conversation just in case...

Dave Stark wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
And when I see Goons kill miners there is no one there to get the loot usually. I sat for 15 minutes and watched a freighter wreck and no one bothered to loot it because it was probaly a pain to haul 500 units of ice.

Name & shame. Standing orders are to destroy the wreck.

Wait, you mean Goons aren't suicide ganking for profit? Maybe you and baltec need to get your stories straight.

destroying a freighter full of ice, and it's wreck, does provide profit, though.

Yep, still sure. But I will allow this... you probably only ****** up by quoting in order to inject your statement.

It wasn't needed.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Dave Stark
#745 - 2013-08-24 18:01:17 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
See that's where I differ, because once you assume an absolute of a thing, you aren't willfully "risking" it because you assume it gone already. The merit of "risk" changes and all you have is the word "risk" as a term, not a description. When COST fits BETTER as a description of that thing, you then can only semantically be correct in calling it risk, because of the smaller percentage of relevancy. While you are not incorrect, you aren't totally correct either.

When you consider it cost, it is "more" truthful therefore fits better, and has a better asociation with your design.

The merit of "cost" is more apt, so saying "oh it HAS risk therefore it IS risk" is not correct. Because it has something does not mean it's defined by it.

It IS cost because that is inescapable, so while you CAN change the variable of risk, you cannot change the variable of cost because it is a constant.

So if you want to agree to disagree that's fine, but if you want to disingenuously say something IS something because there is not a total lack of it, and I can find a BETTER description for it, I am going to engage in that conversation.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

just because you have assumed a level of risk, rather than taken it's real value, does not change the level of risk.
even if you're making sure max loss > min gain (whatever that gain may be, tears, isk, gummie bears etc) risk hasn't been removed. it has simply been shifted elsewhere. eg if you assume 100% pod loss rates, and that you're ganking for isk gain you need to find bigger targets to gank which increases the risk of having 0 targets pass you by as they're all too small to bother with.

sure you can just consider it all cost but just because you consider it cost, doesn't stop risk from existing.

depends on the cost you're talking about. the cost you incur is a variable cost based on the cost of the assets in question adjusted by the risk. if you choose not to salvage any wrecks and set the cost of your ship as the cost of your ship because you assume the chance of recovering anything from it to be 0 then you chose to do that. otherwise it's variable based on the dropped modules and salvage recovered. again, see above that assuming levels of risk to be 0 or 1 does not remove them it just shifts them elsewhere.

if we're talking about the risk associated with "warp in, hit f1, warp out when concord has had their way with you" then sure, most suicide ganks are set up to remove risk from that portion of the situation to other areas. so yes, the act of blowing up a ship in high sec space is essentially riskless and simply has a cost. however that risk didn't just magically vanish, it was moved to other areas of the suicide gank not immediately obvious to the victim.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#746 - 2013-08-24 18:01:39 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:

It was a pretty straight forward answer.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Dave Stark
#747 - 2013-08-24 18:02:45 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
It wasn't needed.

oh please, none of my posts are needed but i do it anyway because i can.
but yes, i can see why you would assume i was still talking about suicide ganking and i don't hold that against you.
Kijo Rikki
Killboard Padding Services
#748 - 2013-08-24 18:03:05 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:

It doesn't depend on anything other than the fact you know you end up as a wreck.

Let's not derail the stock options thing, because we all know there are still quite a few reasons to have stock and NOT have them for profit.

So to go with your "abstract" ideas... you mentioned subsets and the "norm".

What is the "normal" # of gank ships to use for a gank? Would that determine the level of "risk"? Would you consider the risk to be such a low level as that the % would merit the fact it is not considered a risk at all? Do you have a hard limit?

Where do YOU set your standard as to be normal? 1? 10? 100?

I've heard of people using up to 7 ships for a single kill. For your typical miner back in the days of all yield you could do it with one. Since I don't actually participate in any way, shape or form to this activity, I rightly couldn't tell you exactly how many ships it takes with the new changes. All I know is catalysts do cost money, and miners that explode may drop enough to cover the cost. The risk is the loot fairy, she's typically not nice, in my experience. And you may not destroy your target and worse, your target may not even have anything worth getting, so it's hard to say exactly what percentage of risk is involved in fitting a gank catalyst, but those are what determines your level of risk and they are always present.

Obviously, the undebatable point is that suicide ganking is a profitable business, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue. But miners are as much to blame as anyone, as I can think of ways to make sure you are protected from suicide ganking that doesn't involve using an alt to spawn CONCORD in the belt. As it has been argued by someone else, risk on the miners part can be negated through skill and opportunity, which would obviously increase the risk to the ganker.

Personally, according to the fund I just picked for my new IRA my threshold is very high, I went as aggressive as I possibly could, which may not be the best idea considering the delicate state of the current economy, but I got 30 years before I can retire anyway, so here goes nothing. If you asked me what I thought was an acceptable risk percentage, I'd go with 20-30%.

You make a valid point, good Sir or Madam. 

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#749 - 2013-08-24 18:03:50 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
See that's where I differ, because once you assume an absolute of a thing, you aren't willfully "risking" it because you assume it gone already. The merit of "risk" changes and all you have is the word "risk" as a term, not a description. When COST fits BETTER as a description of that thing, you then can only semantically be correct in calling it risk, because of the smaller percentage of relevancy. While you are not incorrect, you aren't totally correct either.

When you consider it cost, it is "more" truthful therefore fits better, and has a better asociation with your design.

The merit of "cost" is more apt, so saying "oh it HAS risk therefore it IS risk" is not correct. Because it has something does not mean it's defined by it.

It IS cost because that is inescapable, so while you CAN change the variable of risk, you cannot change the variable of cost because it is a constant.

So if you want to agree to disagree that's fine, but if you want to disingenuously say something IS something because there is not a total lack of it, and I can find a BETTER description for it, I am going to engage in that conversation.

just because you have assumed a level of risk, rather than taken it's real value, does not change the level of risk.
even if you're making sure max loss > min gain (whatever that gain may be, tears, isk, gummie bears etc) risk hasn't been removed. it has simply been shifted elsewhere. eg if you assume 100% pod loss rates, and that you're ganking for isk gain you need to find bigger targets to gank which increases the risk of having 0 targets pass you by as they're all too small to bother with.

sure you can just consider it all cost but just because you consider it cost, doesn't stop risk from existing.

depends on the cost you're talking about. the cost you incur is a variable cost based on the cost of the assets in question adjusted by the risk. if you choose not to salvage any wrecks and set the cost of your ship as the cost of your ship because you assume the chance of recovering anything from it to be 0 then you chose to do that. otherwise it's variable based on the dropped modules and salvage recovered. again, see above that assuming levels of risk to be 0 or 1 does not remove them it just shifts them elsewhere.

if we're talking about the risk associated with "warp in, hit f1, warp out when concord has had their way with you" then sure, most suicide ganks are set up to remove risk from that portion of the situation to other areas. so yes, the act of blowing up a ship in high sec space is essentially riskless and simply has a cost. however that risk didn't just magically vanish, it was moved to other areas of the suicide gank not immediately obvious to the victim.

Again, that changes the merit of the word "risk" when you treat it as a cost.

It then is a semantic argument because if you do not feel a sense of danger or a sense of nervous loss. Which is what "risk" is defined by.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#750 - 2013-08-24 18:04:36 UTC
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:

It was a pretty straight forward answer.

But you didn't answer.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#751 - 2013-08-24 18:05:16 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
It wasn't needed.

oh please, none of my posts are needed but i do it anyway because i can.
but yes, i can see why you would assume i was still talking about suicide ganking and i don't hold that against you.

That's ok, we both agreed it was your **** up =)

Dave Stark
#752 - 2013-08-24 18:07:04 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

It then is a semantic argument because if you do not feel a sense of danger or a sense of nervous loss. Which is what "risk" is defined by.

it probably changes the merit of the word, it's irrelevant. risk is still there, it has just been moved.

i feel those things when suicide ganking, but not with respect to "push button, see target turn to spacedust" risk has been shifted elsewhere within the process of suicide ganking.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#753 - 2013-08-24 18:09:01 UTC
Kijo Rikki wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

It doesn't depend on anything other than the fact you know you end up as a wreck.

Let's not derail the stock options thing, because we all know there are still quite a few reasons to have stock and NOT have them for profit.

So to go with your "abstract" ideas... you mentioned subsets and the "norm".

What is the "normal" # of gank ships to use for a gank? Would that determine the level of "risk"? Would you consider the risk to be such a low level as that the % would merit the fact it is not considered a risk at all? Do you have a hard limit?

Where do YOU set your standard as to be normal? 1? 10? 100?

I've heard of people using up to 7 ships for a single kill. For your typical miner back in the days of all yield you could do it with one. Since I don't actually participate in any way, shape or form to this activity, I rightly couldn't tell you exactly how many ships it takes with the new changes. All I know is catalysts do cost money, and miners that explode may drop enough to cover the cost. The risk is the loot fairy, she's typically not nice, in my experience. And you may not destroy your target and worse, your target may not even have anything worth getting, so it's hard to say exactly what percentage of risk is involved in fitting a gank catalyst, but those are what determines your level of risk and they are always present.

Obviously, the undebatable point is that suicide ganking is a profitable business, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue. But miners are as much to blame as anyone, as I can think of ways to make sure you are protected from suicide ganking that doesn't involve using an alt to spawn CONCORD in the belt. As it has been argued by someone else, risk on the miners part can be negated through skill and opportunity, which would obviously increase the risk to the ganker.

Personally, according to the fund I just picked for my new IRA my threshold is very high, I went as aggressive as I possibly could, which may not be the best idea considering the delicate state of the current economy, but I got 30 years before I can retire anyway, so here goes nothing. If you asked me what I thought was an acceptable risk percentage, I'd go with 20-30%.

So now you have a cost assessment for loss at 20-30%. Once you remove any sort of sense of danger you eliminate risk and can intelligently assign a cost to it and that's it.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#754 - 2013-08-24 18:10:00 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

it probably changes the merit of the word, it's irrelevant. risk is still there, it has just been moved.

i feel those things when suicide ganking, but not with respect to "push button, see target turn to spacedust" risk has been shifted elsewhere within the process of suicide ganking.

In a discussion weighing the word cost versus risk, it is very relevant.

Dave Stark
#755 - 2013-08-24 18:12:13 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:

you mean the very discussion where people insist on ignoring it as a variable and going "THERE IS NO RISK GUYZ!?@?!?!!"
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#756 - 2013-08-24 18:15:12 UTC
Risk is the potential of loss (an undesirable outcome, however not necessarily so) resulting from a given action, activity and/or inaction. The notion implies that a choice having an influence on the outcome sometimes exists (or existed). Potential losses themselves may also be called "risks". Any human endeavor carries some risk, but some are much riskier than others.

Risk can be defined in seven different ways

1. The probability of something happening multiplied by the resulting cost or benefit if it does.

2. The probability or threat of quantifiable damage, injury, liability, loss, or any other negative occurrence that is caused by external or internal vulnerabilities, and that may be avoided through preemptive action.

3. Finance: The probability that an actual return on an investment will be lower than the expected return. Financial risk can be divided into the following categories: Basic risk, Capital risk, Country risk, Default risk, Delivery risk, Economic risk, Exchange rate risk, Interest rate risk, Liquidity risk, Operations risk, Payment system risk, Political risk, Refinancing risk, Reinvestment risk, Settlement risk, Sovereign risk, and Underwriting risk.

4. Food industry: The possibility that due to a certain hazard in food there will be an negative effect to a certain magnitude.

5. Insurance: A situation where the probability of a variable (such as burning down of a building) is known but when a mode of occurrence or the actual value of the occurrence (whether the fire will occur at a particular property) is not. A risk is not an uncertainty (where neither the probability nor the mode of occurrence is known), a peril (cause of loss), or a hazard (something that makes the occurrence of a peril more likely or more severe).

6. Securities trading: The probability of a loss or drop in value. Trading risk is divided into two general categories: (1) Systematic risk affects all securities in the same class and is linked to the overall capital-market system and therefore cannot be eliminated by diversification. Also called market risk. (2) Nonsystematic risk is any risk that isn't market-related or is not systemic. Also called nonmarket risk, extra-market risk, diversifiable risk, or unsystemic risk.

7. Workplace: Product of the consequence and probability of a hazardous event or phenomenon. For example, the risk of developing cancer is estimated as the incremental probability of developing cancer over a lifetime as a result of exposure to potential carcinogens (cancer-causing substances).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk

In production, research, retail, and accounting, a cost is the value of money that has been used up to produce something, and hence is not available for use anymore. In business, the cost may be one of acquisition, in which case the amount of money expended to acquire it is counted as cost. In this case, money is the input that is gone in order to acquire the thing. This acquisition cost may be the sum of the cost of production as incurred by the original producer, and further costs of transaction as incurred by the acquirer over and above the price paid to the producer. Usually, the price also includes a mark-up for profit over the cost of production.

More generalized in the field of economics, cost is a metric that is totaling up as a result of a process or as a differential for the result of a decision.[1] Hence cost is the metric used in the standard modeling paradigm applied to economic processes.

Costs (pl.) are often further described based on their timing or their applicability.

Cost estimation
Main articles: Cost estimation, Cost overrun, and parametric estimating

When developing a business plan for a new or existing company, product, or project, planners typically make cost estimates in order to assess whether revenues/benefits will cover costs (see cost-benefit analysis). This is done in both business and government. Costs are often underestimated, resulting in cost overrun during execution.

Cost-plus pricing, is where the price equals cost plus a percentage of overhead or profit margin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost

For posterity.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#757 - 2013-08-24 18:18:12 UTC
I don't see where suicide ganking fits risk more than it fits cost.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#758 - 2013-08-24 18:20:27 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

you mean the very discussion where people insist on ignoring it as a variable and going "THERE IS NO RISK GUYZ!?@?!?!!"

Yes, you do yourself a disservice when you ignore it. Stop ignoring it.

Dave Stark
#759 - 2013-08-24 18:21:56 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
I don't see where suicide ganking fits risk more than it fits cost.

it doesn't matter which it fits more.

time to do the playing rather than the talking.
Kijo Rikki
Killboard Padding Services
#760 - 2013-08-24 18:25:04 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:

So now you have a cost assessment for loss at 20-30%. Once you remove any sort of sense of danger you eliminate risk and can intelligently assign a cost to it and that's it.

That's not how it works, buddy. Just because I am willing to risk losing everything 20-30% of the time does not remove the sense of danger or remove the fact that I am taking a risk. As a nullsec player, this is my life, I lose ships all the time. There has never, not once, been a single loss where I didn't feel a sense of danger. I undock knowing full well I may lose my ship, and by undocking I accept that fact, but that has never removed any sense of danger, unease or tension I have felt. I have never thought once while going into structure that this was merely a cost of doing business and shrugged it off. And whether or not I chose to accept a risk doesn't suddenly make a risk not a risk.

To apply this to another argument you have made, I personally think 20-30% is an acceptable risk, but Scaredy McGee thinks even 1 loss is too much and is an unacceptable risk, but Swinging Balls McClellan doesn't care, he could lose 100% of the time and it is acceptable. Since not 100% of the people agree, who is right? By McClellans lead, do we all just write it off as cost, or do we go by McGee's example and say every single loss is a risk?

Personally, I say McGee, only because it doesn't really matter what is acceptable to anyone. What matters is, did you buy something with the intention of making a profit and the chance of making that profit is not a guarantee? Then there is risk involved, always. A gamble, as I recall you claimed it was, but we all know gambling is a fancy way of saying taking risks.

Anywho, enjoyed our debates, but I must leave for now. Feel free to reply, I will return later to respond if necessary.

You make a valid point, good Sir or Madam.