These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Eve Too Nasty

First post First post
Author
Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#81 - 2013-08-22 16:59:31 UTC
I've always liked the comparison of other mmo's as theme parks. You pay your admission, go on all the rides, maybe even win some prizes at the games. At the end of the day, it is this pacification-by-shinies that keeps you playing. Gotta get the next best chest-plate so I can run the next boss so I can get the next best pauldrons.

Eve, on the other hand, is like CCP handed you a dull machete and dropped you in deep jungle, with a wink, a grin, and a "have fun, sucker!"

Hardly a surprise most people whine and cry after a few bug bites and a little dysentery.

HTFU!

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#82 - 2013-08-22 17:03:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Solstice Project
I want to declare peace!

BY FORCE!!!!!

(this really is on topic, but might be lost on some)
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#83 - 2013-08-22 17:17:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Lady Fatant wrote:
I know its not safe, but defo should be safer. I know people will say that is the freedom of the game.

Can I tell u a story you all probably will have been through?
Once upon a time, a little ship set out into safeish space. Some nasty boys came out and destroyed his little ship and his body was incinerated in his pod. Why. For no reason?!
This little ship had been flying for 1 week. He lost everything. Then nearly decided not to go into space ever again.
The end.

My life wouldn't be complete without the occaisonal nerf hisec threads on the EVEO forums. Truly, its laughable when viewed from the other side that hisec is actually way too safe once you engage brain in motion...

With access to 100% accurate and timely intel in the form of Local chat (that tells you immediately when an enemy enters system), combined with the ability to put scouts in neighboring systems, or hey...simply tanking and stabbing the **** out of your ship in case you do get jumped, my level of tolerance for such posts is...waning...

This is EvE. Learn. HTFU. Or...

World of Warcraft is that way -------->

Well, at least for now. Sadly posts and petitions like this OP's have triggered recent changes to EvE that has it quietly slipping towards theme park. ::sadpanda::
Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#84 - 2013-08-22 17:28:51 UTC
Yes the vitriolic nature of EVE keeps it down and there really isn't much we can do about it. CCP want it that way. "Cold harsh Universe" etc, etc. Trying to change it is a waste of your time.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#85 - 2013-08-22 17:35:26 UTC
Ioci wrote:
Yes the vitriolic nature of EVE keeps it down and there really isn't much we can do about it. CCP Most Players want it that way. "Cold harsh Universe" etc, etc. Trying to change it is a waste of your time.

Fixt your otherwise fine post.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Xavier Perez
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#86 - 2013-08-22 17:37:23 UTC
Some people just aren't smart enough to hack it. when you have to rely on your own wits and judgement to stay alive. That's what world of warcraft is for - family friendly, policed, structured, and you cant do anything the owning company doesn't intend for you to do. Eve is a brutal Darwinistic sandbox where people can show their true natures, and that nature is a shade of grey. I do nice things for people. I also randomly blast ice miners because it makes me gigglefart.

People are NOT inherently good or evil. We do what gives us an advantage, in competition with others who also do what gives them an advantage. If murdering you gives me an advantage, I will murder you. If befriending you is advantageous to me, I will be your friend.

If you want a structured environment where you do not have to worry about real, naked, animalistic human nature, then I might suggest one of the more family-friendly MMOS.
SpoonRECKLESS
Beach Boys
The Minions.
#87 - 2013-08-22 17:38:22 UTC
The more you cry the more they will be mean. Become the great rubber ball and bounce off the hate felt words and make sure you cover them in glue so it can't bounce off them.

Blue

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#88 - 2013-08-22 17:40:54 UTC
embrel wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
EVE isn't nasty. The people who play it are.

reading your sig makes me either want to tip my hat for great trolling or puke because of idiocy.

If it makes people post, its doing its job.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Wandering Poet
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#89 - 2013-08-22 17:46:57 UTC
Murder and mayhem:
the tools of men without tools.
Protest with poems!
Dyvim Slorm
Coven of the Morrigan
#90 - 2013-08-22 18:24:07 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:

4. This is a game. There are many different kinds of people playing. It would be prudent to remember that people, by nature, enjoy violence. Conservatives would have us believe that violent video games cause more violence, but they're wrong, because violence existed in humanity before video games existed. Violent games are, actually, the product of our violent nature, and so is what we enjoy in them. In the real world, we adhere to civility and law because our actions in the real world have real consequences, and most people recognise that those consequences would be detrimental enough to their own well being that the actions are not worth it. However, in video games, we can let our nature run rampant, and like it or not, humanity is a bloodthirsty species. We are predatory by nature. We enjoy violence. That's why it's in so much of our entertainment. The point here is, people acting violently against you in this game are not deranged, they are, in fact, closer to natural human parameters than you might like to admit. Perhaps, closer than they might like to admit, but I doubt they're thinking about it in these terms at the time due to enjoying themselves too much.

Very well put and hits the nail on the head.

A shorter version might be, in rl there is pain and death to keep us in order. In Eve there is neither though there are tearsBig smile
Xavier Perez
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#91 - 2013-08-22 18:26:03 UTC
My eyes face forward. The OP is more of a side-gazing animal.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#92 - 2013-08-22 18:38:03 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:
Osileon Yoshimeru wrote:
I think Ive found a much better sim for your liking. Its called World of Warcraft. Have you heard of it?

There are also other games you might enjoy such as etch a sketch or solitaire. I think that might keep you busy for a moment or two.

I knew I would get the 'wimp' post.

Its not that. I play because its one of the best games ever. But I also think the game can be so nasty it could put people off.

ok, I'm about to sound extremely patronizing but here it goes:

now, now don't just leave yet. in this game the first 6 months are crucial, not just in terms of building the character as a functional piece of this dysfunctional dystopia, but your own character as well. yes it's true, EVE actually has the ability to change people in a fundamental way. some people to better, others to worse. personally I think EVE made me into a cynical realist, but moving ahead.
Passing these 6 months, you are faced with 3 choices: if you can't stand the heat, you get out of the kitchen then. If you can, you either try to calm down the fires or making them bigger.

so in sum, and in a very harsh way: GTFO if you can't handle it. if you can, either try to make this dark world a bit brighter, or make it even darker.

your choice. either way you will learn that mankind isn't really that much of a creature filled with kindness and goodness only, and that, by itself, is one of the most important lessons taken from the time you spent here.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#93 - 2013-08-22 18:46:56 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Ioci wrote:
Yes the vitriolic nature of EVE keeps it down and there really isn't much we can do about it. CCP Most Players want it that way. "Cold harsh Universe" etc, etc. Trying to change it is a waste of your time.

I'd even agree to that. The trouble is, 10 years later the game feels very rigid and full of absolutes. While players might have fleshed out those barriers, CCP enforce them. I don't think players ever wanted the game to end up where it is. To be an I-Win button based on your power to blob.

NPC Null sec isn't full of Pioneers. It's full of criminals. That really defined EVE ten years ago.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#94 - 2013-08-22 18:49:58 UTC
Lady Fatant wrote:
Osileon Yoshimeru wrote:
I think Ive found a much better sim for your liking. Its called World of Warcraft. Have you heard of it?

There are also other games you might enjoy such as etch a sketch or solitaire. I think that might keep you busy for a moment or two.

I knew I would get the 'wimp' post.

Its not that. I play because its one of the best games ever. But I also think the game can be so nasty it could put people off.

Its not the game its the people in it. If people refuse to fight the good fight then nasty wins. If some one is nasty then shame on them...if you let that nasty person dictate what you do then....shame on you.
SmokinDank
Horizon Research Group
#95 - 2013-08-22 18:54:43 UTC
Yeah but why is everyone who fights the "good fight" such a stuck up douche?

Cool

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#96 - 2013-08-22 18:55:12 UTC
Regis Solo wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Lady Fatant wrote:

I know you are right and its only a game. But it just seems that the wrong aspects of the real world out there, seem to be coming through more and more in the game.

Would you rather them do it in here, or get 'bored' and randomly shoot Australian Baseball Players on the street ?

That one was below the belt

The truth often is.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#97 - 2013-08-22 19:02:54 UTC
Ioci wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Ioci wrote:

I'd even agree to that. The trouble is, 10 years later the game feels very rigid and full of absolutes. While players might have fleshed out those barriers, CCP enforce them. I don't think players ever wanted the game to end up where it is. To be an I-Win button based on your power to blob.

There are no real barriers in EVE, and certainly no built in absolutes beyond how much PI material can be generated in an hour. CCP cannot enforce anything that isn't there.

Blobs are involved in encounters between pretty much like-minded entities, and victories are only temporary at best. Just ask CFC and TEST.

EVE is not a thing that is "won" ever. They know this.

Kinda like life.

In the very end, eventually, all servers, like us, get unplugged.

Xavier Perez
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#98 - 2013-08-22 19:20:29 UTC
I very much enjoy starting fires.
Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#99 - 2013-08-22 19:23:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Ioci
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

There are no real barriers in EVE, and certainly no built in absolutes beyond how much PI material can be generated in an hour. CCP cannot enforce anything that isn't there.

Blobs are involved in encounters between pretty much like-minded entities, and victories are only temporary at best. Just ask CFC and TEST.

EVE is not a thing that is "won" ever. They know this.

Kinda like life.

In the very end, eventually, all servers, like us, get unplugged.

There are no barriers to trying but there are very real barriers to succeeding. The architecture of the game sees to it. Uedama is the dominant example of how space bottlenecks and we are forced to run the gauntlet and get by the predators. The obstacles favor the predator. We see this in the way EVE has evolved. You can't succeed in this game with a live and let live mindset. You need to be vicious and most people aren't.

True, EVE can't really be won but it can be wasted and for most that's what they feel has happened. I never had any huge desire to be rich and powerful and to dominate others in EVE. I came to grow my character and that never really happened.

Criminals in Null. Sansha, Guristas, Serpentis. It was the place for the underworld. We weren't exploring it, we were charged with taking it back. Many who came to EVE didn't really understand that. I don't think they left understanding that. It was never what EVE was about. The irony is if people had known the brutality that was EVE Online, I don't think it would have made it as far as it did.

Most people didn't play EVE for what it was, they played it for what they wanted it to be and CCP prospered because of that. None of the players who devoted their time to it were let down but they felt betrayed.

tldr: there is no CCP in New Eden "the little corp that could" and there never was. They all became Blizzard corps by ratio at the time.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Xavier Perez
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#100 - 2013-08-22 19:25:25 UTC
Also some previous posters are right. In the real world I'm a college educated generally nice guy with a family. In eve, I get to have a vent for my darker side, which would probably at least vent in some ways in my real life without that safety valve, so Eve is doing its part to make the world a brighter place on its own. I have a harmless vent that doesn't hurt anyone in the real world.

I do my part to spread misery and watch New Eden burn, but in the real world I give to charity and help rebuild houses damaged by storms on my free time.

Far better to slap your Vexor than to slap my child after a sour day at work.