These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

The Joke That is "Piracy Honor".

First post
Author
Sky' Darkstar
Magnetar Dynamics
#1 - 2013-08-21 13:22:25 UTC
So,

I'm pretty sure this would be the correct place to post this. P

First off, if you came expecting a rage thread about being blown up and a pirate lying through their teeth, I'm afraid you will be sorely disappointed. Sad

This is actually quite the opposite.

This is a simple question to all of the pirates, victims of piracy, low-sec dwellers who have seen the pirate/victim banter in local, and just generally anyone with an opinion on the "honor" within EVE related to piracy/ganking/griefing.

I'll cut to the chase.

I've been reading various threads within C&P as well as other sub forums, and I am getting a sort of hypocritical and inconsistent viewpoint from the EVE population relating to what "honor" is in EVE concerning piracy/ransoms specifically.

CCP Falcon can be quoted shaming "dishonorable" piracy, in which the pirate does not honor a simple ship ransom, but then will post in heist threads congratulating the corp thief.

Popular/Well-known pilots from pirate alliances such as (just an example) Shadow Cartel can be found strongly disapproving/calling out pirates who blow up a ship after a ransom is already paid, but can then found mocking a "stupid" Indy pilot who just lost his Itty I/Badger to their 25 man camp with no chance of survival.

Now, as I said before, I have absolutely no problem, and actually encourage any sort of piracy in EVE because it is one of the most fun activities to partake in. However I am slightly confused on the aspect of how "honoring ransom" is such a huge " OMG NO HONOR UR NOT A REAL PIRATE U HAVE NO HONOR IN A SPACESHIP VIDEOGAME!!" freakout when it comes to this one specific aspect of piracy.

(no sarcasm)
Is it a business thing? Do other pirates really believe that if their pirate...er...competition.... doesn't honor ransoms that it will cut into their profits?

In modern day EVE, where people don't even bat an eye at a billion ISK exchanging hands, is ransoming income still actually used as a means to fuel an account/ship replacements?

It is just odd to me that we have these "white knight" pirates/mindset that think they can define piracy just because they perform it a certain way and attach "honor" onto situations that fit them, while disregarding it when it doesn't apply to their play style that day.

If blowing someone up after they paid a ransom to you while warp scrambled and helpless is not "honorable piracy", then neither is smartbombing on the exit gate of Amamake, getting close to a CEO just to steal 100B down the road, or recruiting a corpmate that flies shinies only to blow them up. So why do we pretend to ignore "honor" in those cases and just say the catchy "EVE is a hard backstabbing universe etc etc", but scream "NO HONOR URA FAKE PIR8!!!" when it comes to not honoring ship ransoms?

Honor =/= Being a pirate, and that's totally fine!, and also a great/enjoyable part about being the outlaw. I would like opinions please!

-Sky'

Kristoffon Ellecon
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-08-21 13:35:44 UTC
tl,dr
Sky' Darkstar
Magnetar Dynamics
#3 - 2013-08-21 13:37:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Sky' Darkstar
Kristoffon Ellecon wrote:
tl,dr

Yes you did, because you saw Shadow Cartel in it. Big smile

-Sky'

Pouzdani Patches
All-Out
White Stag Exit Bag
#4 - 2013-08-21 15:17:53 UTC
Consider this:

-In an incident such as a gatecamp, a corp theft or other activities that are thought of as morally dubious, the concept of 'honor' is never introduced in the first place - you act as a hunter and the person on the receiving end is prey, there's no consent, there's no compromise, there are no rules of fair engagement and therefore no one in their right mind will complain about it being dishonorable - of course it's dishonorable, but that was never questioned and it can't be any other way. There are no honorable gatecamps/corp thefts/other manipulative and devious scenarios.

-On the other hand, you have a ransoming situation. The victim has stopped resisting and has willingly gave itself over to the aggressor's mercy, instead of going down fighting and screaming bloody murder in Local.
This is where 'honor' comes into play - it is introduced into the scenario by both the victim and the perpetrator consenting to negotiations. There are only two outcomes here (apart from the possibility of a third party joining):

1) The pirate honoring the ransom, willingly reducing his profits and killboard in favor of cutting the victim some slack for whatever reason

2) The pirate not honoring the ransom, abusing the trust the victim gave him for extra profit, out of sadism, spite, Schadenfreude or whatever other reason.

You might ask 'but how is this different from a contract scam, or a corp theft or safari?'. The answer is easy, and it returns us to what I wrote in the first paragraph - there was never honor in such schemes. For example, it is impossible to AWOX in a honorable way, and it's entirely possible to honor a ransom and therefore be a honorable pirate.

I think the distinction is clear enough, but if anyone can correct me, feel free to.
Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-08-21 15:21:23 UTC
Some honor ransoms, some don't. I don't get the big mystery. If I personally offered someone a ransom to keep me from blowing up their ship, I'd honor it. But I love Psychotic Monk like a brother he doesn't know he has, and he'll ransom your ship, blow you up, and post your tears on his blog and I'm Ok with that too.

Pirates... do piratey things like lie, cheat, steal, kill.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Baaldor
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#6 - 2013-08-21 16:09:33 UTC
"Honoring" ransoms for most organizations is just good for business.

The "Honor" Bushido crap comes from the entitled crowd of lemmings that believe their world view applies to all.

Days of Ginger, Tiller and the lot are gone.....these days are strange indeed.
Princess Bride
SharkNado
#7 - 2013-08-21 16:16:36 UTC
Quote:

So,

First off, if you came expecting a rage thread about being blown up and a pirate lying through their teeth, I'm afraid you will be sorely disappointed. Sad

This is a simple question to all of the pirates, victims of piracy, low-sec dwellers who have seen the pirate/victim banter in local, and just generally anyone with an opinion on the "honor" within EVE related to piracy/ganking/griefing.

I'll cut to the chase.

Unfortunately, by this point, I didn't care about the chase.

http://eveprincessbride.wordpress.com/

Sky' Darkstar
Magnetar Dynamics
#8 - 2013-08-21 16:19:01 UTC
Princess Bride wrote:
Quote:

So,

I'll cut to the chase.

Unfortunately, by this point, I didn't care about the chase.

Cared enough to post. Big smile

-Sky'

Mike Adoulin
Happys Happy Hamster Hunting Club
#9 - 2013-08-21 16:59:31 UTC
'Old' school piracy (where you could actually make a business out of ransoming miners, haulers, etc) is dead and has been for quite a while.

It has been replaced by griefercorps who either threaten to wardec a mining/indy corp if they aren't paid, or they ask for the money after the wardec and they have disrupted the targets operations.

Most hisec non-combat corps either dock up or pay. A rare few fight, or hire mercs. Sometimes they even hire good mercs.....

Everything in EVE is a trap.

And if it isn't, it's your job to make it a trap...:)

You want to know what immorality in EVE Online looks like? Look no further than Ripard "Jester" Teg.

Chribba is the Chuck Norris of EVE.

Comrade Answers
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-08-21 17:23:34 UTC
Follow up questions:

Is low sec piracy still a thing?
Can you turn off smartbomb cycle fast enough to demand ransom?
Sky' Darkstar
Magnetar Dynamics
#11 - 2013-08-21 17:27:55 UTC
Comrade Answers wrote:
Follow up questions:

1. Absolutely. It's a blast, and one of the main reasons I play EVE.

2. I have no idea from personal experience. But the server ticks one second at a time, so I'd assume if you were lucky when deactivating it and didn't alpha the ship, it could work.

-Sky'

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen
Doomheim
#12 - 2013-08-21 18:22:45 UTC
Hisec piracy is where its at. Just like climbing a trellace into your girlfriends bedroom and delivering the goods while her parents are sleeping next door, nothing is a substitute for getting away with asshattery in hisec while CONCORD is nearby on gate...
Karl Planck
Perkone
Caldari State
#13 - 2013-08-21 18:45:08 UTC
Comrade Answers wrote:
Follow up questions:

yes, i received a 200mil pod ransom yesterday.

yes and no, you can blow up a ship and leave the pod to be ransomed, technically. However they will be close enough to jump out so its not really an option.

To answer the OP, honoring ransoms and 1v1's are not accepted across all groups. However, most long term lowsec organizations that typically affiliate themselves with piracy honor ransoms because we have a reputation of honoring them and profit from it.

The same goes for 1v1s, which again, most reputable lowsec organizations honor. We do so because it benefits our game style as well as our day to day play.

When comparing ransom honoring against gate camping or suicide ganking it isn't really a fair comparison. Ships are almost NEVER ransomed because it is more profitable to simply blow a loot pinata up and see what drops. PODS on the other hand are worth ransoming as usually there is not a direct profit that can be gained from killing pods.

Is gatecamping / smartbombing / hot dropping / ganking / blobbing / falconing / off grid boosting / scamming / market manipulation / general eve gameplay honorable? IDK, does it really matter? The whole thing about this e-honor of piracy is that many strive to uphold a reputation that gets them more good fights and nets a small profit from a situation where there typically is none.

I has all the eve inactivity

El Zeta
Maricel Inc
#14 - 2013-08-21 21:04:48 UTC
I am selling apples and oranges Big smile

never mind you cant tell the difference Lol
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#15 - 2013-08-21 22:26:37 UTC
Not honouring a ransom is shortsighted stupidity.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Sky' Darkstar
Magnetar Dynamics
#16 - 2013-08-21 22:48:35 UTC
Zappity wrote:

Why?

Just from a business/ISK making perspective?

-Sky'

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#17 - 2013-08-22 00:36:59 UTC
I always encourage people to honour ransoms, because it is more profitable in the long term.

Particularly in AWOX situations, where you might just be able to find someone still in space AFK in a Mackinaw after you ransom the corp Orca, and the reputation you got for letting the Orca go (for 400m or whatever you charge) stands you in good stead to get 150m out of the Mack pilot. Let them go, then demand 250m more to drop corp, and suddenly you are up 800m ISK as opposed to just 400m and a killmail.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#18 - 2013-08-22 01:39:50 UTC
Sky' Darkstar wrote:
Zappity wrote:

Why?

Yes. See the post above for one example.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Sky' Darkstar
Magnetar Dynamics
#19 - 2013-08-22 01:48:25 UTC
Zappity wrote:
Sky' Darkstar wrote:
Zappity wrote:

Why?

Yes. See the post above for one example.

Gotcha, and fully understood. It's the "pirate honor" concept that is lost on me.

I can completely get the business perspective.

-Sky'

Andracin
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2013-08-22 02:03:53 UTC
I look at it in organized crime terms. If Im shaking down a gas station owner for money and he pays me what good does it do for me to shoot him? The next guy guy I shake down probably isn't going to pay if he hears about the first. If your in a location in low sec long enough your reputation proceeds you, especially with repeat vic...er customers.

For me I enjoy low sec around FW areas because there is almost always instant pvp as soon as I log in. I don't gank people in plexes to be a deuche. I do it because Im looking for a fight. There have been several times I've talked with my victims after and the polite ones usually end up getting ships, isk and adivce on things from fittings to tactics. Im not alone one of my corp mates fit and gave away an incursus to a guy he had just killed who had only played for a week.
123Next page