These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

EVE "careers"

Author
Kroy Steiner
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-08-20 22:41:51 UTC
Hello all. New guy here, and I'm wondering what different careers there are for a new pilot to get into. I want to point out that I'm looking for a career as opposed to a hobby. I'll give an example; from what I've been reading online, piracy is actually a hobby, not a career....evidently you can make some cash at it, but generally speaking you lose more money than you make. Many people suggest having an industrial main and pirating with your alt. So to me, piracy sounds like a hobby. I'm looking for job to specialize in that offers advancement, a positive cash flow, and can be done by one character without support toons or wealthy main characters.

From what I've gathered, there is:
1) PvE- missions running...seemed fun at first, but honestly a little repetitive
2) PvP/ FW- might be a decent fit because I do enjoy PvP in other games
3) Mining- Can be a great moneymaker, but potentially boring
4) Freight hauling- this actually really appeals to me, but it seems the only way to make money at it is by joining a huge corp like red frog/ black frog
5) Working the market- Arg. I'd rather watch grass grow
6) Exploration/ survey- this sounds kind of cool, but can you make cash at it and does it stay interesting?
7) Bounty hunting- or is it only a hobby?
8) Manufacturing- I guess you sit at the market and build ships? Not my thing

So what have I missed? I don't mean to sound negative, that's a lot more types of gameplay than the vast majority of MMO's out there, I just want to make sure I haven't overlooked something in EVE that I might really enjoy. I'd also love to hear people's thoughts on the ones I've listed, especially in regards to how lucrative they can be or how boring/ hard to get into.

Thanks in advance.

SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#2 - 2013-08-20 22:42:38 UTC
I kill people, then I make them mad because I'm a goon.
Jim Era
#3 - 2013-08-20 22:46:36 UTC
why don't we have both?

Wat™

Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#4 - 2013-08-20 22:51:31 UTC
The only one that looks remotely like you'd like it is hauling. For max isk, you should probably join RedFrog or another big corp service. If you want to have fun as an independent, join the Haulers Channel and work for yourself.
Orlacc
#5 - 2013-08-20 22:52:07 UTC
Here

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-08-20 23:04:31 UTC
No offense but this is taking "no life" to a whole another level.
You want a career, not a hobby, in a game that you play as a hobby.

Anyway, my advice would be to study the market closely and find something you can use to make money. It's better than a "career" as a mission runner which makes you want to hang yourself while chewing on a cyanide capsule.
Kroy Steiner
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-08-20 23:13:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Kroy Steiner
I appreciate the input people have given. Domanique, thanks for the info on the Hauler's Channel.

Bischopt wrote:
No offense but this is taking "no life" to a whole another level.
You want a career, not a hobby, in a game that you play as a hobby.

I see that is your interpretation of my question. Maybe I should have simply asked "what can you do in EVE?", but I was trying to be more descriptive, in order to get more informed replies. I had a trial account 6.5 years ago (that's why my toon looks old), but I'm brand new to EVE. It is unlike any game I've played before. Considering that, I don't think my question is odd...I simply don't want to dump tons of SP and time into underwater basket weaving if I'm not going to enjoy underwater basket weaving or earn cash at it in the long run. If trying to get the most enjoyment out of a game labels me as having no life, then guilty as charged. Lol
Kat Bandeis
Trinity Industries Corp.
#8 - 2013-08-20 23:13:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Kat Bandeis
The only real advancements in this game are Industry (starter ammo, up to Invention, to POS; maybe PI included here) and missioning (advance to larger and larger ships, climbing up thru the ranks into L5 missioning). PVP is a drain on income, exploration is a mess, and everything else is just something to do when you're bored (including mining).

In PVP maybe you can "advance" to FC'ing for a large corp/alliance, and maybe in mining you can "advance" into brokering ore loads, but there really isn't any real "advancement" in those.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#9 - 2013-08-20 23:16:33 UTC
Kroy Steiner wrote:
Hello all. New guy here, and I'm wondering what different careers there are for a new pilot to get into. I want to point out that I'm looking for a career as opposed to a hobby. I'll give an example; from what I've been reading online, piracy is actually a hobby, not a career....evidently you can make some cash at it, but generally speaking you lose more money than you make. Many people suggest having an industrial main and pirating with your alt. So to me, piracy sounds like a hobby. I'm looking for job to specialize in that offers advancement, a positive cash flow, and can be done by one character without support toons or wealthy main characters.

From what I've gathered, there is:
1) PvE- missions running...seemed fun at first, but honestly a little repetitive
2) PvP/ FW- might be a decent fit because I do enjoy PvP in other games
3) Mining- Can be a great moneymaker, but potentially boring
4) Freight hauling- this actually really appeals to me, but it seems the only way to make money at it is by joining a huge corp like red frog/ black frog
5) Working the market- Arg. I'd rather watch grass grow
6) Exploration/ survey- this sounds kind of cool, but can you make cash at it and does it stay interesting?
7) Bounty hunting- or is it only a hobby?
8) Manufacturing- I guess you sit at the market and build ships? Not my thing

So what have I missed?

Check the Making ISK guide, I think you left out scamming, exploitation and wardecs :)

Mission-running will lead to you cutting off your own fingers just to relieve the boredom.

Read Susan Black's Guide to Faction War Plexing for some insight to Faction Warfare ISK-making.
Ryu Ibarazaki
Doomheim
#10 - 2013-08-20 23:20:50 UTC
Kroy Steiner wrote:
So to me, piracy sounds like a hobby.

Wait, what? My pirate career counselor lied to me?

Do what makes you happy man, and you'll figure out in time how to incorporate isk-making with it.

Kroy Steiner
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-08-20 23:21:33 UTC
Orlacc, thanks for the chart, very cool.

And to the recent posters, thank you as well! These are the kind of informative replies I was hoping for. I will absolutely check out Susan Black's guide, that sounds right up my alley.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-08-20 23:27:21 UTC
I've heard the goon profit from killing people in highsec, but Gevlon Goblin says goon is broke so who knows?

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Job Valador
Professional Amateurs
#13 - 2013-08-20 23:27:25 UTC
Being emperor is one you missed. That one though is a bit tricky to implement.

"The stone exhibited a profound lack of movement."

Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
Somethin Awfull Forums
#14 - 2013-08-20 23:55:56 UTC
Corporate scams
screwing other people over.

Working hard in EVE will make you bored out of your skull.

The game is designed for corrupt minded people.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Kroy Steiner
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-08-21 00:18:17 UTC
Ioci wrote:
Corporate scams

Ahhh...so one vote for outfitting a capital ship or BS and seeing how long I can solo in Null-sec. Got it. Pirate
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#16 - 2013-08-21 00:20:15 UTC
Mei Ree
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2013-08-21 00:27:10 UTC
Kroy Steiner wrote:
Ioci wrote:
Corporate scams

Ahhh...so one vote for outfitting a capital ship or BS and seeing how long I can solo in Null-sec. Got it. Pirate

Or you could take the time to listen to what that person is trying to tell you: why work hard to make money yourself when you could take other people's money from them? It is a basic work multiplier scheme: join a corporation, earn their trust, get access to the corp wallet and hangars, then steal everything that isn't nailed down.

This can be quite lucrative, especially if you help the corp expand and become profitable before you clean them out.

Seriously, some people need to be spoon fed, don't they?
Peter Raptor
Galactic Hawks
#18 - 2013-08-21 00:48:08 UTC
OP you so look like a James 315 clone Shocked

Evelopedia; 

The Amarr Empire, is known for its omnipresent religion  †  

Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#19 - 2013-08-21 00:51:22 UTC
Kroy Steiner wrote:
I will absolutely check out Susan Black's guide, that sounds right up my alley.

LOL. A career, indeed.
Kroy Steiner
State War Academy
Caldari State
#20 - 2013-08-21 01:10:50 UTC
Mei Ree wrote:

Seriously, some people need to be spoon fed, don't they?

Lol

Sarcasm is lost on some people. You make it too easy.Blink
12Next page