These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Sentry Drones missing some frigates but hitting others at 70km, what gives?

First post
Author
Ayase Kusoni
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-08-20 17:28:12 UTC
So my drone control, targeting, and optimal using Warden I's are all around 90km, falloff 25km. Some pirate frigates just seem to be unhittable even at range, as they're coming at me in a straight line. How can I remedy this?

[Myrmidon]

Drone Damage Amplifier I
Drone Damage Amplifier I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
F85 Peripheral Damage System I
Medium 'Accommodation' Vestment Reconstructer I

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Omnidirectional Tracking Link I
F-90 Positional Sensor Subroutines
Drone Link Augmentor I
Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Drone Control Range Augmentor I
Medium Drone Scope Chip I
Medium Drone Scope Chip I
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#2 - 2013-08-20 17:44:22 UTC
Would it happen to be the "elite" frigates? (for example, Arch Angel frigates for the Angel Cartel)

Those have extra small sig radius, are extra fast, and carry points/webs/other ewar. Hitting them is a general problem for anyone fighting NPCs. That said, I don't really know of any way to improve your fit to hit them. Train higher drone skills? Alternatively, don't bother with them until they get on top of you, at which point you can pull out light drones and shred them.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#3 - 2013-08-20 17:53:13 UTC
Also keep in mind that when you're talking about sentry drones (battleship-size sig resolution, low tracking), even small amounts of angular velocity will break your tracking. If they're coming in at even a slight angle you'll start missing.
Orlacc
#4 - 2013-08-20 18:05:01 UTC
How are your drone skills? I see a lot of T1.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Ayase Kusoni
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-08-20 18:14:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Ayase Kusoni
Orlacc wrote:

Attached -- http://i.imgur.com/nVz0YBT.png

I intended on just flying drone support for a friend. 1.6M SP with most of them in exploration related skills. I will say though, popping cruisers in L3 with sentries is pretty fun.

------ break ------

Off-topic Edit:

Since you mentioned "T1"... I find it hard to bring myself to train any skill that takes more than 2 days. Which makes me bounce around at different aspects of the game. So far I have tried and enjoyed security missions, hacking, ninja salvaging, couriering (to an extent). Mining is definitely not for me, as I play solo most of the time, it is my understanding that you need an organization to make mining worthwhile.

Am I making a mistake in not sticking out and getting perfect V skills to experience... perfection? I'm only a month into the game and the prospect of training some skill for 14 days is daunting (and what if I end up forsaking that profession, I would've wasted so much time!).

To V, or not to V, that is the question...
Donbe Scurred
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-08-20 18:31:55 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
Alternatively, don't bother with them until they get on top of you, at which point you can pull out light drones and shred them.

^This is how I usually deal with them.

Also until you can use the tech II version, you can consider buying the faction variants, they have slightly better tracking.
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#7 - 2013-08-20 20:53:30 UTC

Quote:
Am I making a mistake in not sticking out and getting perfect V skills to experience... perfection? I'm only a month into the game and the prospect of training some skill for 14 days is daunting (and what if I end up forsaking that profession, I would've wasted so much time!).

Depends entirely on the skill. Some are very worth it at V and should be maxed soon (Engineering, electronics). Other, less so.

Instead, the mistake you're making is jumping into a battlecruiser (one of the more skill-intensive ones at that) a month into the game, especially if you've also been training non combat-related-things. In the same training time you could be more effective in a smaller ship that costs less ISK.

Ekhss Nihilo
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#8 - 2013-08-20 21:47:45 UTC
Ayase Kusoni wrote:
Orlacc wrote:

Attached -- http://i.imgur.com/nVz0YBT.png

I intended on just flying drone support for a friend. 1.6M SP with most of them in exploration related skills. I will say though, popping cruisers in L3 with sentries is pretty fun.

------ break ------

Off-topic Edit:

Since you mentioned "T1"... I find it hard to bring myself to train any skill that takes more than 2 days. Which makes me bounce around at different aspects of the game. So far I have tried and enjoyed security missions, hacking, ninja salvaging, couriering (to an extent). Mining is definitely not for me, as I play solo most of the time, it is my understanding that you need an organization to make mining worthwhile.

To V, or not to V, that is the question...

Take Engineering, Electronics and Mechanics to V as soon as you can. This unlocks many doors.

If you favor hybrid turrets, take gunnery to V
If you favor missiles take light and heavy to V

Again, this unlocks paths to much greater effect.

Remember, EVE rewards patience and perseverance (most of the time anyway). It's a game for the long haul.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius (AD 121-180)

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#9 - 2013-08-21 01:40:24 UTC
Absolutely get faction sentries, now that they are so cheap. They perform much better.

As stated before, your problem here is that a small amount of angular velocity is being drastically increased by the difference between your target's tiny signature radius and your sentry drone's battleship sized signature resolution. Even if their angular momentum is only 10% of your tracking speed, if their signature radius is 8% of your drone's signature resolution, you are looking at missing a large majority of your shots.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Ines Tegator
Serious Business Inc. Ltd. LLC. etc.
#10 - 2013-08-21 02:47:21 UTC
Not all sentries have the same tracking either. Curator might be able to track well enough to hit at that range. Warden or bouncer likely wouldn't have the tracking to hit an elite frig in motion. Personally, I carry a set of Garde for medium range, Bouncer/Curator (depending on mission), and hobgoblins. Can take on basically any target.
Toshiro Hasegawa
Roving Guns Inc.
Pandemic Legion
#11 - 2013-08-23 16:06:54 UTC
I ignore the frigates most of the time - and deal with them later.

I start with the Dest / BC sized ships and remove them quicklly.

then move to the BS

then the Frigs.

by the time i get to the frigs .. i usually pull in the sentries and move to light drones ..

sometimes i try them with the Gardes .. see if they can hit them while i switch toons and move in my alt in a Noctis to clean up.

if the Gardes just arnt doing anything then i pull them in.

History is the study of change.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#12 - 2013-08-24 02:46:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Sentries are medium to long range weapons. Sentries can't hit when the frigates reach orbiting distance.

Switch to light drones for frigs, generally under 20 km.

It its best to kill frigates from long range, before they reach orbit, so their traversal is low.

I commonly use ogre II to kill frigates, but only if they are 15 km away or less, or the heavy drones get shot-up.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#13 - 2013-08-26 02:15:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
I use a Federation Navy Stasis Webifier, Republic Fleet Target Painter and a pack of light drones to deal with the frigates that escape the might of my fleet of Garde II sentry drones. This is on two ships of course.

If you are trying to kill elite frigates with 1 ship, use the webifier first. Angel frigates tend to orbit at annoying distances like 11km, making a regular web useless. I also prefer webs first, then TP simply because the frigates can often go faster than my drones meaning that no amount of TP goodness is going to help. Drones have an annoying feature of two different speeds: they MWD to the target (which speed you can alter with Drone Navigation Computers etc), at which point they reach activation range, shut off MWD, return to their normal speed and then four seconds later, shoot the target. If the target is moving quickly enough they will be out of range when the drone fires at which point the drone activates MWD again, and the circus performance continues.

The difference between T1 and T2 sentry drones is night and day. If you are planning to provide drone support for your friend, definitely upgrade to Sentry Drone Operation 5, along with Drone Sharpshooting and the various control range extension skills.

Other skills such as core competencies can wait, as long as you can fit a moderate tank and the appropriate drone control modules. Going to the biggest hull you can fly is good for this, since flying a Dominix in L3 missions gives an untrained capsuleer plenty of shields for the NPCs to nibble through. Do not try L4 missions until you can competently fly that Dominix though.

I will post my RR domi fit here when I get back from work.