These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

So

Author
Bok Molkar
not-it
#1 - 2013-08-20 00:45:57 UTC
Aside from Null Sec, how do you plan to compete with this, CCP?

http://kotaku.com/holy-pants-this-massive-space-sim-is-looking-good-1071657483/1075043286
Donbe Scurred
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-08-20 00:58:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Donbe Scurred
Looks pretty cool but how do you figure they will be competing? It is a single player game.

At least we have something new to refer people to that want eve to be single player.

AI Interaction =/= Interaction with Humans
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#3 - 2013-08-20 01:02:30 UTC
By being a player-driven sandbox MMO.
Icarus Able
Refuse.Resist
#4 - 2013-08-20 01:10:57 UTC
As others have said this is an MMO. Yeh this is gonna grab my attention for a while. But probably just gonna play it when noone is online.
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#5 - 2013-08-20 01:15:50 UTC
Machine simulated tears and whining on forums isn't as nutritious as you meatbags.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Job Valador
Professional Amateurs
#6 - 2013-08-20 01:44:50 UTC
EvE is dead! Everyone out of the universe!

"The stone exhibited a profound lack of movement."

RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#7 - 2013-08-20 05:18:23 UTC
... by allowing you to interact with a second player?

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2013-08-20 06:53:13 UTC
Bok Molkar wrote:
Aside from Null Sec, how do you plan to compete with this, CCP?

http://kotaku.com/holy-pants-this-massive-space-sim-is-looking-good-1071657483/1075043286

X-Universe always has been different and really cool to play in....I have a cosy feeling when I think of the "Thereshallbewings" cheat in earlier parts. Whole systems stuffed with megafactories that made your pc freeze.
BUT
its single player and a substitute for when eve servers are down at best.

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2013-08-20 07:03:10 UTC
William Walker
Dark Venture Corporation
Kitchen Sinkhole
#10 - 2013-08-20 07:07:06 UTC
Can you gank people? Can you have player driven market? Can you multiplayer even? You can get your appetite elsewhere, but you eat at EVE online.

ヽ(⌒∇⌒)ノ へ(゜∇、°)へ (◕‿◕✿)

WooMod
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-08-20 07:09:49 UTC
Can goons give me free stuff?
Can i be "playing" by dicking around jabber and mumble?
Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#12 - 2013-08-20 07:19:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
This gets pretty old pretty quick. Sure, X will probably draw a few players from Eve, but I doubt it will be substantial. It is just a single player... That said it is already starting to raise people's expectations of what a space-sim should be. If all space sims start to have this kind of scale you might find new players saying "Can you do that in Eve?", and when the answer is no maybe they will decide on something else.

I like to think CCP will catch up eventually. No one will be able to do something like this on an MMO scale for some time yet. CCP probably have the best potential if they pull their finger out and move development resources back over to Eve.

I am actually quite looking forward to this and Star Citizen coming out, if only to see what will happen. Like I say though, I doubt it will touch Eve much.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#13 - 2013-08-20 07:22:34 UTC
By being a massively multiplayer online experience?

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#14 - 2013-08-20 07:40:22 UTC
The doom is near! Deja vu though, think I read this thread on multiple occasions.

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

cerbus
Carpe Noctem.
#15 - 2013-08-20 08:07:52 UTC
:notsureifserious:

This character is no longer affiliated with the Caldari Prime Pony Club.

S Byerley
The Manhattan Engineer District
#16 - 2013-08-20 08:13:21 UTC
Scale or heterogeneity always suffers from that level of detail - too many artist manhours

A lot of games have tried to give players the level editor, but the quality control always suffers.

Maybe they can come up with a really neat algorithm to randomly generate everything? That'd be neat.
TheBlueMonkey
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-08-20 08:29:19 UTC
If it were an mmo then yeah, eve could be in trouble. Although the second the goons got into a universe where you can destroy stations.... erm... yeah... that doesn't sound so much fun.

It's not the, it's single player and I play eve for the people.
Lee Saisima
Doomheim
#18 - 2013-08-20 09:22:22 UTC
--> Been there already

And yeah, looks like EVE is less likely to be able to compete with a whole host of up-coming single-player and MMO space titles that promise proper development. The thing with EVE is that it's been pulled this way and that so many times by an unfocused Dev company (latest is in the Dust direction and look how that has turned out), that the game doesn't really excel at any particular aspect. Some may argue it's a sandbox; SERIOUSLY? That's a naïve perception to the fact that EVE simply doesn't have any sort of direction other than "I can shoot other ships conceivably anywhere and that is hardcore and awesome". EVE is a part-time game, made so by the lack of engaging content and the real-life stopwatch it uses as a skill-training mechanic. And who wants to play a stagnant part-time game when there are amazing titles such as X Rebirth and Star Citizen up and coming (and that's just the space genre)? The hard-core elite playerbase in this game will always stay faithful to the title, sure, because they've simply invested too much time in their characters to let them die. But they'll be shooting each other in a very empty universe soon enough.
Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#19 - 2013-08-20 09:29:44 UTC
That thing is not even a demo.

Existing (like EVE do) give better chance on market competition agaisnt somenthing still not even existing.
BadSeamus
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-08-20 09:50:27 UTC
Yeah its single player and no substitute for Eve, but I think the Eve designers could get some pointers about the SCALE of objects in the Eve universe. Big things are BIG in this game.

I've only watched the videos of course, like everyone else - and we know how misleading they can be (I was there!) - but holy crap it LOOKS amazing. I get the same feeling looking at this, that I did looking at Eve itself back in 2004/5.

This is what POS's and Stations should be like, IMHO. I have no idea what the technical limitations are that make Eve stations and POS's so tiny in comparison, but hopefully it will go away, and the designers/artists can have some fun building massive structures that we can interact with... Maybe the scale of Eve is just too intrinsic to the game for them to change it properly... maybe it just needs someone to look at this and go 'ohhhhh yeah!'
12Next page