These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey 1.1] Medium Rail, Beam and Artillery rebalance

First post First post First post
Author
Serenity Eon
League of Paranoid D-Scanners
#381 - 2013-08-14 04:24:30 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Good morning space adventurers!

IF YOU WANT TO CRITICIZE THIS PROPOSAL PLEASE READ THE EXPLANATION BELOW FIRST <3

Okay so I'm going to give you the numbers first, then do some text walling below to try and explain why we arrived where we did.

Medium Rails (all sizes and metas):
+15% Rate of Fire
+15% Damage Multiplier
-15% Tracking Speed

Medium Beams:
+25% Damage Multiplier
-10% Tracking Speed

Medium Artillery:
+10% Rate of Fire
-5% Tracking

So the basic idea is that we're increasing damage by quite a lot for all medium long range turrets, while also lowering their tracking a little bit.

From a high level, the goal here is to make long range weapons valuable enough that people are able to use them for both PVP and PVE without being laughed at. This is hard to accomplish without stepping heavily on the toes of either large weapons or short-range medium weapons. We felt that a large damage increase was absolutely necessary for there to be any chance of seeing increased use, but the higher damage goes the more pressure gets put on other weapon systems. By making tracking speed a bit worse we preserve a lot of the advantage that medium short-range guns bring, while also making medium long-range guns a great choice verse large guns in many situations.

To understand why that last part is true, its VERY important that you understand how tracking works in EVE. I want to use an example here to help illustrate:

The tracking speed on a standard Neutron Blaster Talos with Null loaded is .0794
The tracking speed on a new 250mm Railgun Deimos with Antimatter loaded will be .0304

It looks like the Talos tracks 3x as well as the Deimos. In reality, because of the role Signature Resolution plays, the Deimos will actually track moving targets about 19% better than the Null Talos.

A real tracking number that combines tracking speed and resolution would look like this:

Real tracking on standard Neutron Blaster Talos with Null loaded is .0001985
Real tracking on a new 250mm Railgun Deimos with Antimatter loaded is .0002432

If you want to make this kind of comparison for other ships and situations, divide tracking speed by the signature resolution of the gun and compare the resulting numbers. If you want to see an awesome in-depth explanation for tracking, I recommend reading THIS BLOG by Azual Skoll.

One of the discussions we had with the CSM on this topic (there were a lot) revolved around a situation where you get to choose which ship to bring to a fight where you will be shooting at Talwars. Do you want a new medium long-range gun ship, or an Attack BC with large short-range guns. So I made a DPS graph here showing three fits: a 200mm Rail Thorax, a 250mm Rail Deimos, and a Neutron Talos, all of which have 2 tracking enhancers fit. The situation shown would be if the Talwar has MWD on and is moving at full speed at an angle of 60 degrees (hopefully fairly average, though it will vary a lot). You can see what that looks like here: DAMAGE GRAPH

There are of course a lot of other reasons to bring medium long-range ships over large like price, speed, resilience, and the option to shoot to much longer ranges. Overall we are still a tad worried about power creep here, but hopefully this will put medium guns in a healthy place in relation to their competition.

Be sure to check out the HEAVY ASSAULT CRUISER REBALANCE as well as many of those ships are affected by this change and vice versa

As always, looking forward to feedback.
CCP Rise

So ccp rise, in the post above you put "Medium Rails (all sizes and metas):". Does this mean that small and large railguns are getting buffed alongside mediums?
Lephia DeGrande
Luxembourg Space Union
#382 - 2013-08-14 05:41:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Lephia DeGrande
No it means, all 3 sizes of long range medium turrets.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#383 - 2013-08-14 16:04:09 UTC
I have tried the new 250mm railguns on a deimos on SiSi.

There were some fitting issues, but in the end it worked out. They performed pretty well, putting down something like 300dps at 80km (spike + 2 tracking computers with alternate scripts) and 500dps at 20km (dual mag stabs).

I was concerned that the tracking would not work out but the deimos's range bonus and kiting speed seems to sort it out nicely.

Verdict: worked well. Railguns seem to me to be a viable weapons system, although I wonder whether spike M could use a buff to dps.

400 dps from a dual mag-stabbed deimos at 80km would make it more competitive with the ishtar + curators + 2x omni.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

Lord Distortion
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#384 - 2013-08-15 21:50:33 UTC
I'd also like to add a Role Change within the Ranged Weapons themselfs or rather the changing of the Smaller ranged turrets.

Smallest;

Skirmish style, Designed for smaller/faster targets with less penetration & dps
Quad Light Lazor Beam, Dual 150mm rails, ( Dual 250mm Artillery? ) , Rapid Light Launcher,
Decent Range, Tracking and rate of fire with lowish dps.

Medium; Balanced with allowances for some fit

Larger; Glass Cannons

The Amarr Quad Light Lazor Beam; Has 9k range and low fitting requirements... yet all but the droneboats depend on lazor performance( 25% of 1.8x is still not alot and 9km default range is ^%$£ ). Drone/tank vessels trend towards Small-Size Weapons anyway as they offer a more attractive low-fitting vs. performance.
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#385 - 2013-08-16 10:56:41 UTC
Since most weapon system are now playing in the same league (all turrets, most missiles, most drones) regarding damageoutput to application -

is there a chance that
- heavy missiles (currently just 100% overshadowed by cruise missiles regarding increased damage and very similiar application)
- amarrian and caldari combat drones (except sentries) and
- ewar-drones (except jamdrones)

are revisited soon?

Mean with the change of drone interfacing someone clearly forgot to apply the dmg-bonus given to dps-drones in a similiar form to ewar-, webbing- and cap neutralizing-drones.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#386 - 2013-08-16 21:17:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Omnathious Deninard
I believe the buff to Railguns went too far on this one, a Heavy Neutron Blaster II does 44 DPS, a new 250mm Railgun II will do 40.99 DPS. That is using antimatter in both.

That is just to close to one another.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Maximus Andendare
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#387 - 2013-08-16 21:21:51 UTC
Serenity Eon wrote:
So ccp rise, in the post above you put "Medium Rails (all sizes and metas):". Does this mean that small and large railguns are getting buffed alongside mediums?
I'm just going out on a limb here, but probably not, considering that he said >>> MEDIUM RAILS <<<.

All sizes and metas is obviously referring to Dual 150mm, 200mm and 250mm MEDIUM rails.

Enter grid and you're already dead, destined to be reborn and fight another day.

>> Play Eve Online FREE! Join today for exclusive bonuses! <<

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#388 - 2013-08-17 02:38:47 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
I believe the buff to Railguns went too far on this one, a Heavy Neutron Blaster II does 44 DPS, a new 250mm Railgun II will do 40.99 DPS. That is using antimatter in both.

Interesting observation!

Now if you would take a look at the tracking values of the modules you may notice a slight difference there.

On another note, 150mm dual-rails need a slight range buff and all of them don't need a tracking nerf.

CCP Rise,
when you return from vacation please go on SiSi and fly the fastest kiting railcruiser in zee woold, ze rail Eagle.
Maybe ask someone to join you and he may want to fly a Vagabon, yes?

Now turn fraps on and tell us the glory tale of the fastest Caldari kiting cruiser in zee woold and how it went for dat Eagle.

Then ask yourself, does zee railguns really need a tracking nerf?

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#389 - 2013-08-17 02:52:03 UTC
elitatwo wrote:

Interesting observation!

Now if you would take a look at the tracking values of the modules you may notice a slight difference there.

Yes there is a difference, now if you would kindly look at the optimal and falloff of those weapons you will notice another difference.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

W0lf Crendraven
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#390 - 2013-08-17 06:44:45 UTC
Please ccp, dont pull another phantasm or rfiter on us.

Take a look at heavy missile laucnhers, atm there are very very few places where they are of any good, they need a buff (hams or rlmls are simply way better).

What you did was nerf them, maybe justly, and then they were in line with the rest of the medium turrets (i.e terrible). What you are doing now is buffing the rest of the medium turrets while ignoring the hmls, leaving them to be never used again. Dont, revert their nerf.

I also think a hybrid long range weapon system should track better then a projectile one, i.e rails should track better then artys, with now isnt the case.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#391 - 2013-08-17 11:56:55 UTC
elitatwo wrote:

Interesting observation!

Yes there is a difference, now if you would kindly look at the optimal and falloff of those weapons you will notice another difference.

The proposed changes are open for investigation on SiSi, so I would recommend you log on there and take a corpmate with you and make that experiment on your own.

When you have done so, tell us how it went.

Barry Dylan
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#392 - 2013-08-17 12:31:14 UTC
Hey the tracking on rails is so bad now, plz fix
Jerick Ludhowe
Internet Tuff Guys
#393 - 2013-08-17 13:04:44 UTC

Yep, the same issue is more or less true in the beam/pulse comparison.

It's pretty obvious that the dps buffs to some of these medium sized long range weapons went way too far.
Mournful Conciousness
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#394 - 2013-08-17 13:35:44 UTC
Jerick Ludhowe wrote:

It's pretty obvious that the dps buffs to some of these medium sized long range weapons went way too far.

Except that you can't hit with them if either you or your target is moving.

This is not true for blasters or pulse lasers.

Embers Children is recruiting carefully selected pilots who like wormholes, green killboards and the sweet taste of tears. You can convo me in game or join the chat "TOHA Lounge".

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#395 - 2013-08-17 15:37:28 UTC
Mournful Conciousness wrote:
Jerick Ludhowe wrote:

Except that you can't hit with them if either you or your target is moving.

This is not true for blasters or pulse lasers.

I thinks its useless to explain long range turrets and short range turrets to some folks, best to ignore them.

Dat tracking nerf needs to go.

Railguns and beam lasers already struggle to apply any of the damage they might to to a star that doesn't move as much as ships in EVE do.

Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#396 - 2013-08-17 15:55:07 UTC
In general the damage buff and the tracking nerf on all the long ranged medium guns needs to be toned down a little.

Simultaneously some tiericide needs to happen between the tiers of these guns (i.e. between dual 150, 200, and 250 rails, or between 650 and 720, and between quad, focused, and heavy beams). At this time there is little reason to use anything other that the largest unless fitting dictates.

And, the quad beams and dual 150s stats are absolutely terrible. They need some buff in comparison to their larger brothers. Probably more range at the very least. The damage and fitting could stay tiered, but having the range so harshly tiered makes the smaller guns within the groups almost worthless. Especially since the range is so bad, and even with the better tracking of these lowest tier guns in comparison to higher tiers, they get outperformed by the largest tier short ranged medium guns of each type.

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Alex Tutuola
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#397 - 2013-08-17 19:46:57 UTC
Deacon Abox wrote:

And, the quad beams and dual 150s stats are absolutely terrible. They need some buff in comparison to their larger brothers. Probably more range at the very least. The damage and fitting could stay tiered, but having the range so harshly tiered makes the smaller guns within the groups almost worthless. Especially since the range is so bad, and even with the better tracking of these lowest tier guns in comparison to higher tiers, they get outperformed by the largest tier short ranged medium guns of each type.

Alternately, could leave the stats the same on dual 150s and quad lights, and give them a signature resolution of 40. It always seemed like they should track like frigate class weapons if they were claiming to be double/quad frigate weapons. :)
Leskit
Pure Victory
#398 - 2013-08-17 21:54:29 UTC
Rise hasn't posted in this topic in 29 days. I don't think he's going to do anything here Evil
Alex Tutuola
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#399 - 2013-08-17 21:57:35 UTC
Leskit wrote:
Rise hasn't posted in this topic in 29 days. I don't think he's going to do anything here Evil

He's done this a few times in the HAC thread, too. I suppose he's decided the player base cannot be pleased, and he'll just put down what changes he feels like. =P
Leskit
Pure Victory
#400 - 2013-08-17 22:18:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Leskit
Alex Tutuola wrote:
Leskit wrote:

He's done this a few times in the HAC thread, too. I suppose he's decided the player base cannot be pleased, and he'll just put down what changes he feels like. =P

CCP has made fairly regular (weekly or better) replies, this one had a first day reply, that was it. We don't need to be coddled and babied, but no feedback is...well...no feedback. I wonder if he even uses medium guns, especially after using a talos for the gun comparison Straight
*edit for duplicated word