These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Happy Veterans Day

First post
Author
Scortched Merc
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2011-11-11 14:41:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Scortched Merc
I would like to thank all my fellow veterans of the Armed Forces out there that have served or currently serving thier country. 07

SK1, U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Semper Paratus

E .· ` ' / ·. F **Your tears fuel my internet spaceship. **

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#2 - 2011-11-11 14:49:50 UTC
First off OOPE forum that way ->

and two for some odd reason I always see these threads go down in flames. Sad thing really.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Igualmentedos
Perkone
Caldari State
#3 - 2011-11-11 15:01:11 UTC
Thank you veterans. You have significantly larger balls than I ever will.
stoicfaux
#4 - 2011-11-11 15:01:46 UTC
Quote:
Happy Veterns Day

Veterans with an 'a', dammit. We can teach kids to use anything from M-16s to radar systems to tanks, helicopters, and jets, and to fight and win in any environment in any battlefield around the world, but we can't get them to run a browser with a built-in spell checker.
Big smile

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

FlameGlow
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2011-11-11 15:02:19 UTC
Why is some holiday in one of 200+ countries of the world threadworthy?
Date being 11/11/11 is more exciting IMO Roll
CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#6 - 2011-11-11 15:07:13 UTC
Moved from EVE General Discussion.

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

Scortched Merc
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2011-11-11 15:16:17 UTC
CCP Phantom wrote:
Moved from EVE General Discussion.

Guess I should have started a thread complaing about CCP and called them a bunch of retards or something... then put a side note thanking my fellow veterans.

Phantom you are a punk... Roll

E .· ` ' / ·. F **Your tears fuel my internet spaceship. **

stoicfaux
#8 - 2011-11-11 15:31:35 UTC
FlameGlow wrote:
Why is some holiday in one of 200+ countries of the world threadworthy?
Date being 11/11/11 is more exciting IMO Roll


It's celebrated in other countries too (but with different names.) 11/11 is "special" because the armistice to end WWI was signed on Nov 11 at 11:11am.

So at the very least, it's a reminder that the "war to end all wars" didn't, and that "your way of life" probably wouldn't exist unless someone was/is willing to defend it.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#9 - 2011-11-11 15:36:31 UTC
I'll celebrate the veteran's day where no veterans are left anymore because all died of old age and no new ones were created.
BLACK-STAR
#10 - 2011-11-11 15:40:17 UTC
Scortched Merc wrote:
CCP Phantom wrote:
Moved from EVE General Discussion.

Guess I should have started a thread complaing about CCP and called them a bunch of retards or something... then put a side note thanking my fellow veterans.

Phantom you are a punk... Roll
no hating on phantom, it's his duty and this thread is not related to eve discussion. that remark wasn't called for.
stoicfaux
#11 - 2011-11-11 15:43:39 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
I'll celebrate the veteran's day where no veterans are left anymore because all died of old age and no new ones were created.


If there are no wars, then either everyone is dead or everyone has the exact same opinion on everything. We'll always have veterans, methinks.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#12 - 2011-11-11 16:38:46 UTC
As a veteran I say no thanks.

I served the war machine that serves the global elites and did so as an underpaid mercenary. At least real mercs contract for big bucks and they know they do it for money. I did it for "glory", "serving my country" and other crap reasons that suck people into this Prussian-styled servitude.


You will be hard pressed to find any veterans who glorify military service and war. Those who do are the ones who didn't actually have to go to the armpits of the world, didn't see people die. They were the ones working supply back in Nebraska or something and now they haunt VFW halls with hats covered in stupid pins talking up military service. But those who seen friends get shot, seen air crew not come back, seen kids fighting in landfills with dogs for food, know exactly how the world is run and by who.

It's no mere coincidence that war fighters put more support for the only US presidential contender who wants to bring them home and end this bankster empire crap than any of the neolib/neocon chickenhawks combined.


Bring back DEEEEP Space!

SpaceSquirrels
#13 - 2011-11-11 18:53:39 UTC  |  Edited by: SpaceSquirrels
^ Dude I know plenty of people that have seen combat and are not jaded, paranoid or misanthropic, or suffer from any mental health issues. In other words normal. Which I might say is kinda of a problem when you tell people you're a vet. People seem to think you'll fly off the handle or duck at any moment.

I'd say in the grand scale of things it's more like a memorial day (Seems way more like that in Europe at least). More i'm thankful that I came back fine in all ways possible, and take a moment to appreciate others who did not.

Don't take this as a insult or the like, but are you capable of ever not turning a OOPE topic not political?
Marie Hartinez
Aries Munitions and Defense
#14 - 2011-11-11 22:37:54 UTC
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
^ Dude I know plenty of people that have seen combat and are not jaded, paranoid or misanthropic, or suffer from any mental health issues. In other words normal. Which I might say is kinda of a problem when you tell people you're a vet. People seem to think you'll fly off the handle or duck at any moment.

I'd say in the grand scale of things it's more like a memorial day (Seems way more like that in Europe at least). More i'm thankful that I came back fine in all ways possible, and take a moment to appreciate others who did not.

Don't take this as a insult or the like, but are you capable of ever not turning a OOPE topic not political?


I don't get why some people get all freaked out when they learn someone like you or I are vets.

Some years ago, back when I used to work construction as an electrician, I noticed a few people would avoid me or would become overly nice after they found out I was ex-military. I asked a couple foremen what the deal was and they told me that those people were scared I would go completely psycho on them if they said the wrong thing.

I was in the US Navy's nuclear program, on a sub. I'm one of the most cool headed people my wife's family has ever met. I was also in the Army, but we don't talk about that.

Too me, Veterans Day is a way to remember the people that fought and fell in war. I'm also thankful that I'm still here and have a wonderful family.

Surrender is still your slightly less painful option.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#15 - 2011-11-12 10:01:50 UTC
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
^ Dude I know plenty of people that have seen combat and are not jaded, paranoid or misanthropic, or suffer from any mental health issues. In other words normal. Which I might say is kinda of a problem when you tell people you're a vet. People seem to think you'll fly off the handle or duck at any moment.

I'd say in the grand scale of things it's more like a memorial day (Seems way more like that in Europe at least). More i'm thankful that I came back fine in all ways possible, and take a moment to appreciate others who did not.

Don't take this as a insult or the like, but are you capable of ever not turning a OOPE topic not political?







Quote:

"War is a continuation of politics with an admixture of other means"

--Carl von Clausewitz




And he's right.

We tried following order blindly. How's the world doing? Better?


Bring back DEEEEP Space!

leviticus ander
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2011-11-12 10:16:40 UTC  |  Edited by: leviticus ander
FlameGlow wrote:
Why is some holiday in one of 200+ countries of the world threadworthy?
Date being 11/11/11 is more exciting IMO Roll

because you are an ignorant fool.
Remembrance Day
take a quick scroll through that to see the names of countries that celebrate this day, and remember the military members that gave their lives, or at least risked them holding the foolishness that is war back from the entire globe.
EDIT: oh, sorry, just noticed that someone else got to your first. still, take a look at the list.
Something Random
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#17 - 2011-11-12 11:45:21 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
^ Dude I know plenty of people that have seen combat and are not jaded, paranoid or misanthropic, or suffer from any mental health issues. In other words normal. Which I might say is kinda of a problem when you tell people you're a vet. People seem to think you'll fly off the handle or duck at any moment.

I'd say in the grand scale of things it's more like a memorial day (Seems way more like that in Europe at least). More i'm thankful that I came back fine in all ways possible, and take a moment to appreciate others who did not.

Don't take this as a insult or the like, but are you capable of ever not turning a OOPE topic not political?







Quote:

"War is a continuation of politics with an admixture of other means"

--Carl von Clausewitz




And he's right.

We tried following order blindly. How's the world doing? Better?




The only thing i get from people like you is the knowledge you only ever joined up to leech free holidays abroad and play in a uniform with a big gun.

You cant even honour your fellow fallen, even though you claim to know what they went through - unlike us mere mortals and paper pushers alike eh.

Go salute the Cenotaph and at least try to credit your expensive training.

"caught on fire a little bit, just a little."

"Delinquents, check, weirdos, check, hippies, check, pillheads, check, freaks, check, potheads, check .....gangs all here!"

I love Science, it gives me a Hadron.

Astenion
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2011-11-12 13:25:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Astenion
Herzog actually has a very valid, non-tinfoil-hat-wearing point. I've been there too and I've lost friends, but there's a reason we don't like to talk about it. Apart from the obvious ones who saw way too much and have PTSD and whatnot, the "average" veteran who comes back from a warzone relatively unscathed but whose unit comes back with less people than it took downrange, we don't like to talk about it because we feel guilty. We feel guilty because in that moment when we were under attack and one of our friends got blown into pieces by a mortar and another one got limbs severed, we feel guilty about feeling how we were just glad it wasn't us. It's not always the shock of combat that haunts us, it's the feeling guilty because we felt so selfish by being happy we were still alive even though we were grieving the loss of our brothers/sisters. No matter how many people tell you not to feel this way, you just can't help it.

It's not that we aren't grateful for the sacrifices of all veterans past and present, and we honor them EVERY SINGLE DAY and not just on Veterans/Armistice Day, but we typically don't like to see people going overboard glorifying it even if they mean well because it just brings back bad memories and all that guilt and sadness because we were relieved we were still alive.

To this day I can't be around fireworks because it makes me uneasy. It's a Pavlovian response. We are quite literally dogs of war.

Do I support all veterans of all countries, regardless of nationality and politic? ABSOLUTELY. Do I "celebrate" Veterans/Armistice Day? Not at all.

Herzog is quite right in his opinion of people who constantly talk the talk but have never walked the walk, and "the walk" is the walk of your comrades loading the flag-draped coffin of your friend into a C-130. You'll find no glory in this, only sadness and pain, and every time some yahoo on the street comes up to you and tries to shake your hand, pat you on the back, and thank you for your service, you try your best to politely be modest about it and play it down because of that aforementioned guilt you feel.

For us, it's almost easier to tolerate people who don't like us rather than the people who do and go overboard with their praise and flag-waving and stupid little yellow ribbons and bumper stickers.
Astenion
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2011-11-12 13:43:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Astenion
SpaceSquirrels wrote:
^ Dude I know plenty of people that have seen combat and are not jaded, paranoid or misanthropic, or suffer from any mental health issues. In other words normal. Which I might say is kinda of a problem when you tell people you're a vet. People seem to think you'll fly off the handle or duck at any moment.

I'd say in the grand scale of things it's more like a memorial day (Seems way more like that in Europe at least). More i'm thankful that I came back fine in all ways possible, and take a moment to appreciate others who did not.

Don't take this as a insult or the like, but are you capable of ever not turning a OOPE topic not political?


Impossible. If a person has seen real combat and not come back at least a bit jaded, angry, and/or bitter, they're either lying to you and bottling it all up inside or they're completely unstable. The only people who are unaffected by combat are those completely dead inside who will eventually hang themselves in their bathroom and those who have never seen it.

Deploying to a place does not equal seeing combat. Having to shoot at people, getting shot at and/or ducking mortars on a daily basis is seeing combat. For example, Mosul was a fun place to deploy. Three beers a day, parties every night. MAYBE you'd get a mortar or two every few weeks. A few hundred kilometers away in the Sunni Triangle, however, was hell on earth.

That said, seeing combat makes you really appreciate life and peace and all the beautiful and wonderful little things, as cliche' as it may sound. It also puts everything in perspective for the rest of your life. No matter how bad your life may get, you can always say you've seen worse and are thankful that you have a nice warm bed, a roof over your head, people who love you, and all without the fear of having to run to their tent at night after a mortar attack tripping over body parts and the sickly sweet smell of warm blood mixed with the smell of burned skin, hair, and something similar to gunpowder. You appreciate beautiful sunny days, nature, and love much more deeply afterwards. Ironically, it makes you better adjusted to daily life...it's just sad you had to see people die to reach that point.

We live our days like they're our last because we remember the dread we felt when we thought we were possibly about to die because we hadn't done everything we wanted to do before kicking the bucket. Now we grab life by the balls and appreciate even the bad things that happen to us because they're still good by comparison.
Sidus Isaacs
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2011-11-12 13:56:29 UTC
I can get down with Armistice Day, veterans day I could not really care about.
12Next page