These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Security Standing Change % Too High?

Author
Tre Avoiak
BrainBox
Blades of Grass
#1 - 2013-08-17 14:31:20 UTC
NOTE:This isn't a question about *how* standing changes work - there is plenty of information about that, and I have read it.

My question: The security status window of the character sheet shows the % change in security standing; however, when I plug that into a spreadsheet, the "% change" always seems "too high". An example:

Old standing: .1160
% change: .0248%
New standing: .1184

By my math, .1160 * (1 + .0248) = .1188

Rounding doesn't even come close to accounting for the gap. I know there are a lot of veterans here, and many of you are math gurus - can someone shed some light on this?

Mishraile Viliana
Doomheim
#2 - 2013-08-17 15:05:14 UTC
Tre Avoiak wrote:
NOTE:This isn't a question about *how* standing changes work - there is plenty of information about that, and I have read it.

My question: The security status window of the character sheet shows the % change in security standing; however, when I plug that into a spreadsheet, the "% change" always seems "too high". An example:

Old standing: .1160
% change: .0248%
New standing: .1184

By my math, .1160 * (1 + .0248) = .1188

Rounding doesn't even come close to accounting for the gap. I know there are a lot of veterans here, and many of you are math gurus - can someone shed some light on this?

So not a question about how standing works even if you don't seem to have a clue about it?

The percentage is applied to the difference between your current standing and maximum standing and this result as added to your current standing to reach the new standing.

In your example this would mean a starting standing of 0.1160 + (10-0.1160)*0.0248% = 0.118451 which seems to be exactly what you are getting.

Also how does your math make the change seem 'too high'? Last time I checked 0.1188 > 0.1184 ofcourse at the same time when using a percentage for a muliplier you had to divide by 100 first.
Tre Avoiak
BrainBox
Blades of Grass
#3 - 2013-08-17 15:19:59 UTC
Thank you! Your solution more than makes up for your charisma!
ArmyOfMe
Teddybears.
#4 - 2013-08-21 07:15:44 UTC
Tre Avoiak wrote:
Thank you! Your solution more than makes up for your charisma!

I'll admit it, i laughedLol

GM Guard > I must ask you not to use the petition option like this again but i personally would finish the chicken sandwich first so it won´t go to waste. The spaghetti will keep and you can use it the next time you get hungry. Best regards.