These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Love my race, but not good for what I want?

First post
Author
Karl Olken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-08-15 09:12:48 UTC
Starting playing EVE a few weeks ago and really enjoying it.
I chose caldari because I like the corporate background and they were my favourite ships. But looking into it a bit more, I would like to PvP in the future and I understand that they are the worst race to PvP with because of the characteristics of their ships.

I know I can cross train and fly other races ships but that seems time consuming and having immersed myself in my caldari character it would seem odd to start flying amarr or mnimitar ships.

Are caldari that weak in PvP if I was to stick with the caldari ships?
Lugalbandak
Goonswarm.
#2 - 2013-08-15 09:42:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugalbandak
Karl Olken wrote:
I chose caldari because I like the corporate background and they were my favourite ships. But looking into it a bit more, I would like to PvP in the future and I understand that they are the worst race to PvP with because of the characteristics of their ships.

I know I can cross train and fly other races ships but that seems time consuming and having immersed myself in my caldari character it would seem odd to start flying amarr or mnimitar ships.

First Welcome to eve

second , im pure shield skilled and mostly caldari , and there are a lot of good solo & fleet caldari pvp ships

my fav: condor , hookbill , hawk , caracal (anti frig setup) , blaster moa , blaster ferox , tengu , soon with rebalnce i think the cerb will rock again too, medium rails is getting buff too , so maybe eagle also , altho the blaster viariant is nice too but way expensive

edit: minmatar ships are often good with shield too , so training autocannons & art isnt a bad idea too

But i geuss you are in roleplaying , you have to search well , but there are pure caldari corps out there

o/

The police horse is the only animal in the world that haz his male genitals on his back

Ovv Topik
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-08-15 09:50:24 UTC
Welcome to New Eden.

All races have ships which excel in PVP. The Caracal, Rokh, Falcon, and even the Griffin are all popular PVP ships.

But the main point here is that you are not tied to any races ships at all.

Try loads of different gameplay styles and different ships, then choose which to specialize in.

"Nicknack, I'm in a shoe in space, on my computer, in my house, with a cup of coffee, in't that something." - Fly Safe PopPaddi. o7

Tobias Hareka
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-08-15 10:19:41 UTC
There's a reason why Falcon is most hated ship in the game.
There's a reason why sane frigate pilot will not engage Caracal.
Karl Olken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-08-15 10:48:06 UTC
thanks for the welcome, i am loving the game so far. Replies much appreciated as well. not into roleplaying to be honest but like the purity of having my own race's ships. Still planning my career path, not quite sure what to do but plenty of time. This is truly an amazing game. See you guys out there.
Ovv Topik
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-08-15 11:03:01 UTC
And if you want to get stuck in to PVP straight away, the Merlin, Condor and Kestrel are all viable plex fighters in the FW warzone.

Start here:

http://www.evealtruist.com/p/know-your-enemy.html

on how to fit and fly them. (I'm well gutted Azual has quit the game!)

"Nicknack, I'm in a shoe in space, on my computer, in my house, with a cup of coffee, in't that something." - Fly Safe PopPaddi. o7

Major Trant
Red Federation
RvB - RED Federation
#7 - 2013-08-15 11:24:21 UTC
Caldari ships have notoriously been described as poor at PvP in years past. I've never seen that myself, there was always something decent in each ship class. However, this last year it has all turned around anyway in Caldari favour, particularly in small gang and solo play. Don't assume anything that is more then a year old as relevant anymore.

The Light Missile Condor is particular OP in the kiting department atm, with the Kestrel and Merlin great brawlers. The Hookbill can go either way and the two AFs the Hawk and Harpy are both lethal. The Bantam is the superior shield logi frigate (over the Burst).

The Griffin, Blackbird and Falcon are still the most feared EW boats, even with the recent nerf to ECM.

The dessie line up is ok, the Cruiser line up is very good nowadays particularly the Caracal, while the Moa is now viable.

On the BCs the Drake was always OP, both in a PvE and PvP environment, it has taken a bit of a nerf more recently and the jury is still out as to whether it has been over nerfed. But as always a nerf puts the nose out of joint on all the bad players who relied on that OP to cover their shortcommings. Meanwhile, like the Moa, the Ferox is now a viable hull for PvP.

I can't speak for anything bigger cause I don't fly them. But I know this if we ever engage a BS fleet, a high priority is always any Scorpion on field.
Marlin Spikes
G0P-ST0P
P I R A T
#8 - 2013-08-15 11:43:58 UTC
Training for a new race of ships is easy. Don't sweat it. Training your core skills and modules - that's where the majority of your training time goes. Every race has great pvp ships/pilots. Caldari is no exception.

Keep in mind, it's the pilot that makes a ship a great PVP ship - not the other way around.

Bombers Rule!!!

Trudeaux Margaret
The Scope
#9 - 2013-08-15 12:47:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Trudeaux Margaret
Karl Olken wrote:

No. If anything, Caldari ships are rather overpowered in the right hands, and I see this more and more the more I PvP. Don't worry -- I was told the same thing as you when I decided to train for them.

However, don't shy away from cross-training; Minmatar in particular is a good complement to Caldari as those ships can also be shield-tanked and many of them make extensive use of missiles. It's not like you'd be giving up or selling out or anything like that. Most EVE players cross-train. In fact it's very difficult not to cross-train, eventually.

> anyone willing to give me like a 5 min politics crash course?

> grr goons, lowsec is full of elitist sh*s, all roads lead to the bittervet pl

Karl Olken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-08-15 13:02:48 UTC
thanks for the replies. I will definitely cross train after reading those but happy there are good caldari ships there I can use. I am planning a career in buying/selling/trading mixed with some fighting. Stay on the edge of legality without stepping over the line, too much. Is this a viable option? What tend to be the most lucrative careers?
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#11 - 2013-08-15 13:36:48 UTC
Karl Olken wrote:

caldari ships are perfectly fine for PVP. between the merlin and kestrel, corax, caracal, drake, tengu etc. you have a strong pvp setup, as long as you take the time to learn to play to your strengths.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#12 - 2013-08-15 13:41:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Plain
Karl Olken wrote:
thanks for the replies. I will definitely cross train after reading those but happy there are good caldari ships there I can use. I am planning a career in buying/selling/trading mixed with some fighting. Stay on the edge of legality without stepping over the line, too much. Is this a viable option? What tend to be the most lucrative careers?

there are not many options to make money with PvP directly. that said, there are plenty of options where you have to PvP to protect your income. the most popular ones are faction warfare, wormhole life and 0.0 sov holding alliances. in all three cases you have to PvP occasionally but in the mean time you can carebear it up and pad your wallet.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#13 - 2013-08-15 23:47:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
For what it is worth, I'm Caldari, and I can pilot ships of all races.

My blaster-fit Harpy (Caldari Assault Frigate) has been my favourite ship for quite a while now. I like to do level 3 missions with it, just for fun.

Consider that for a moment. Despite all the ships I can pilot with my nearly 100 million skill points, even all carriers and dreadnoughts, my favourite ship is a lowly Caldari frigate.

There is only one way to win EVE: by having fun.
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#14 - 2013-08-16 04:59:28 UTC
Karl Olken wrote:
thanks for the welcome, i am loving the game so far. Replies much appreciated as well. not into roleplaying to be honest but like the purity of having my own race's ships. Still planning my career path, not quite sure what to do but plenty of time. This is truly an amazing game. See you guys out there.

This is a pointless thing to do. Crosstrain everything. Not to mention all of the pirate faction ships which are arguably the best ships in the game require you train two races worth of piloting skills.

i.e. the Cynabal requires Gallente/Minmatar.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#15 - 2013-08-16 06:01:11 UTC
You are in no way locked to Caldari ships.

The big cost to crosstraining is training a new weapons system (example as a Caldari pilot, you will likely have decent missile skills soon, but if you want to crosstrain Gallente, you will then want to also crosstrain hybrids). Training into tech 2 battleship sized weapons for a new race takes a good six weeks (while the spaceship command skills take much less time to at least get to level 4).

But you can do it and probably will want to within two to three years anyway.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Liam Inkuras
High-Grade
Rogue Caldari Union
#16 - 2013-08-16 20:13:12 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
Karl Olken wrote:

This is a pointless thing to do. Crosstrain everything. Not to mention all of the pirate faction ships which are arguably the best ships in the game require you train two races worth of piloting skills.

i.e. the Cynabal requires Gallente/Minmatar.

While cross training is good to be able to do everything, you will do none of them well. Specialization over generalization. Over time as you perfect different races and move into others, your skills will become very good in all races. The way I have been told to train, and how I intend to train, is pick one ship/ship-class/race, perfect it, then move on and perfect something else. This way, you get a very solid foundation of skills and ships to fly.

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#17 - 2013-08-16 20:42:05 UTC
Merlin, Harpy, Cormorant, Moa, Ferox, Onyx, Rokh (guns), Kestrel, Condor, Hookbill, Hawk, Corax, Caracal (+ Navy), Navy Osprey, Drake (+ Navy), Raven (missiles), Griffin, Bantam, Osprey, Blackbird, Falcon, Scorpion (support).

All are very capable and popular PvP ships (and I probably missed a few). I can vouch for all of these as I have either been personally successful with them, or got rocked by them (or both). Caldari have a good presence in PvP, so that's not a problem. It's really more about what/how you like to fly, and since it seems you like Caldari ships, I recommend you have at it!

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Ilkahn
Ideal Mechanisms
#18 - 2013-08-16 21:06:10 UTC
Karl Olken wrote:

This is a VERY new player reaction to every race. Your issues aren't the ships you fly so much as the lack of critical skills that under proper tutalage you would trained at this point. I work with ALOT of new players. In a nut shell

CORE COMPETENCY CERT - BASIC
DEFENSE CERT - BASIC

Get those ASAP, then start working them to standard.

Follow up by DRONES to 5, Missile skills, and don't go any further than Battlecruisers till you have CORE COMPETENCY CERT - STANDARD.

That is a long story short. Next, find an established corp with players at LEAST a smattering of 1 year old pilots, preferably having the CEO at least 3 years old or more.

fly safe
HIsoka Anzomi
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#19 - 2013-08-16 21:09:50 UTC
If you are into Caldari try looking up the dead rabbits society. They were into Caldari specific fleets and would probably be able to assist you.