These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How hot is too hot for a GTX 580?

Author
Eternum Praetorian
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-08-15 20:00:28 UTC
I recently purchased a rendering software called Octane. In short, it is a GPU based computer graphics software of pure awesomeness. However, it is really giving my GTX 580 3G card a work out during rendering.

I am seeing temperatures in the ranges of 85 degrees Celsius at 100% load and these renders (animations) are rendering for a long time. The manufacturer says this is actually good for a gtx 580. I figure I'd post here and ask all of you die hard gamers out there. I know it is hot, but is it too hot? Will this damage my card or significantly reduce it's lifespan? Or is it actually well withing tolerances and just fine like the manufactures at maingear said?

[center]The EVE Gateway Blog[/center] [center]One Of EVE Online's Ultimate Resources[/center]

Gravemind GER
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-08-15 20:08:14 UTC
when my gtx 550(overclocked) is on 100% load it doesn't even get near as hot as 50 degrees celsius :P

I would say things are starting to smell funny at 95 and above, get some better airflow in your case if you care for your hardwares life.
Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#3 - 2013-08-15 20:12:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Maximum safe operating temperature for a GTX 580 is 97 degrees Celsius.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-580/specifications
I'd personally try to keep it under 90C for a reasonably long card life, but that's about it.

Above that, thermal throttling starts happening and performance drops.
Most cards will eventually shutdown if thermal-based performance throttling is not helping with keeping the temperature under the specified operating temp and instead it keeps increasing over that, so actual burnout should not happen unless the temperature spikes too fast for some reason (defective fan, dislodged heat sink, etc.

Gravemind GER wrote:
when my gtx 550(overclocked) is on 100% load it doesn't even get near as hot as 50 degrees celsius :P

Well, that card has a stock TDP of 116W, whereas a stock 580 has a TDP of 244W...
Eternum Praetorian
Doomheim
#4 - 2013-08-15 21:04:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Eternum Praetorian
Well thx Akita, I have seen some of your past threads regarding building a computer specific for eve online. And I am pretty sure that you know what you are talking about. Cool

Between your word and the manufacturer's, I guess 85 degrees is a decent temp.

[center]The EVE Gateway Blog[/center] [center]One Of EVE Online's Ultimate Resources[/center]