These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

How difficult are NPC anomalies to solo + question about backfiring literally

Author
Marc Callan
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#21 - 2013-08-14 14:09:01 UTC
Medarr wrote:
Dont fit lazors on a cane.
Lazors are amarr weapons.
You want projectile weapons on your ship.
They are the ones that get bonuses from the ships hull.
Also to the rest posting in this thread..
Why didnt you catch this glaring error?
Ya all should feel bad.

It was caught, by someone giving advice on what type of weapons would be best suited to the Hurricane. And it was pointed out in a friendly, helpful manner, fully in compliance with Wheaton's Law and Scalzi's Law of Cleverness.

Oh, and to the OP: one thing that's not quite obvious to a beginner is that the "meta" guns can give you better performance than the baseline guns you described. In the case of artillery and autocannons, you'll be looking for carbines (meta-1, slightly improved performance, greatly reduced CPU needs), gallium guns (meta-2, further improved performance, slightly reduced CPU needs), prototype cannons (meta-3, again improved performance, almost as CPU-forgiving as carbines) and scout guns (meta-4, performance at nearly tech-2 levels, but seriously expensive). Whatever you decide to go for, all your guns should be of the same type, so you'll have the option of grouping them (synchronizing them so they all fire at the same target at the same time).

Oh, and be careful when searching the marketplace; there are also scout and prototype railguns, which you do not want for a Hurricane.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Medarr
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2013-08-14 16:03:03 UTC
Trudeaux Margaret wrote:
Medarr wrote:
Dont fit lazors on a cane.
Lazors are amarr weapons.
You want projectile weapons on your ship.
They are the ones that get bonuses from the ships hull.
Also to the rest posting in this thread..
Why didnt you catch this glaring error?
Ya all should feel bad.

That issue was addressed, in this post as well as others.

holy crap i must really be wasted to not have caught that.. I stand corrected.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-08-14 16:23:18 UTC
Mortis Graves wrote:
Yup, has been pointed out earlier, I know I've stubbornly kept these 2 lasers yesterday, will replace them most likely with 2 long-range projectile weapons.

Replace them with the same guns you have in the rest of the slots. Don't mix guns, it doesn't make you more effective, it makes you less effective because now you're doing a portion of full damage at two or more ranges rather than all your damage at one range.
Mortis Graves
Doomheim
#24 - 2013-08-14 20:39:07 UTC
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Mortis Graves wrote:
Yup, has been pointed out earlier, I know I've stubbornly kept these 2 lasers yesterday, will replace them most likely with 2 long-range projectile weapons.

Replace them with the same guns you have in the rest of the slots. Don't mix guns, it doesn't make you more effective, it makes you less effective because now you're doing a portion of full damage at two or more ranges rather than all your damage at one range.

I've heard this one before, but here's the issue I have with this - let's say I have 4 enemies targeted, 2 of them sit 28km away and don't move even when engaged while 2 of them orbit at about 3km.

Here's what I've been doing now:
- Fire my two 650mm Artillery Cannons at one of those at long range
- Web one of the orbiting ones and fire my four 220mm Vulcan Autocannons at him

So far, works like a charm, then repeat with the other pair. Now, if I had only 6x Autocannons, I would HAVE to approach the ones who sit at long range as it would be difficult if not impossible to kill them from 28km away.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm new here, I'm most likely missing something, but could you please clarify why it would be still better in such situation to have only all close range cannons and not at least 2 for long range?

Also, in other situations, even when I deal with some rats that will fly towards me, by the time they do they already have no shield and half armor thanks to my long range cannons and in some cases they don't even make it at close range.

Oh and to clarify - we're talking about PvE here, I can imagine how specializing in one range would work well in PvP, of course.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2013-08-14 21:04:45 UTC
Mortis Graves wrote:
I've heard this one before, but here's the issue I have with this - let's say I have 4 enemies targeted, 2 of them sit 28km away and don't move even when engaged while 2 of them orbit at about 3km.

That's because you're using a ship that's massively overpowered for the rats. You could kill highsec anomaly rats in a frigate even with minimal skills. Battlecruiser is like using a rocket launcher to kill a fly, you've got so much overkill that you could put 90% of your weapons offline and not notice.

Quote:
Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm new here, I'm most likely missing something, but could you please clarify why it would be still better in such situation to have only all close range cannons and not at least 2 for long range?

Which would you rather have, two rats firing on you, dealing significant damage for 2 minutes while you deal half damage to each of them and eventually kill them, or deal full damage to one, kill it thereby halving the damage being done to you then deal full damage to the other killing it?

Option 1 has you taking more damage for longer, option 2 removes reduces the damage you're taking by eliminating the rats fast.

A dead rat deals no damage, but a rat in 10% structure deals full damage.

Quote:
Also, in other situations, even when I deal with some rats that will fly towards me, by the time they do they already have no shield and half armor thanks to my long range cannons and in some cases they don't even make it at close range.

Range dictation is the key to winning battles. Don't fight the rats at whatever distance they want to be at, make them fight you at the range that you are entirely effective at. Done properly, those rats will never close on you because you'll have killed them at your effective distance. Not left them in half armour, dealing damage to you, potentially scramming or webbing you, killed them.
Mortis Graves
Doomheim
#26 - 2013-08-14 21:10:43 UTC
Very good points indeed - more firepower = faster kill = less damage for me. Thanks Smile
Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#27 - 2013-08-15 01:48:26 UTC
I know most of it has been said, but here it is again so you focus on the important points:

1. Don't mix guns
2. Use ship bonuses
3. Gank = Tank for most PvE (ie. kill them, less dps to tank)
4. Don't mix tank except for specific situations (bait)

And one final point on anomalies. Blaster Ratting.

Forsaken Hub Anomalies can earn you a very nice amount of isk/hour in a gank fit blaster ship. This works for guristas and serpentis hubs.

Examples:

low sp and isk
-Naga/Talos (these can use t1 blasters until t2 skills but need to be run in pairs with t1)

High SP and isk
-Megathron/Kronos/Vindicator

The idea is to get the most DPS humanly possible. Vindicator can quite easily achieve 1800+

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#28 - 2013-08-16 06:16:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Sabriz Adoudel
Mortis Graves wrote:
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Mortis Graves wrote:

Here's what I've been doing now:
- Fire my two 650mm Artillery Cannons at one of those at long range
- Web one of the orbiting ones and fire my four 220mm Vulcan Autocannons at him

So far, works like a charm, then repeat with the other pair. Now, if I had only 6x Autocannons, I would HAVE to approach the ones who sit at long range as it would be difficult if not impossible to kill them from 28km away.

Oh and to clarify - we're talking about PvE here, I can imagine how specializing in one range would work well in PvP, of course.

My advice in general is to use your guns to kill the ones that are closest to your preferred range, and drones to kill the others. Most ships can fit enough drones to take out really annoying smaller rats.

Also remember that swapping ammunition can change your effective range enormously. As an example, when I'm forced to kill NPCs (usually to raise my security status after killing too many players), I usually fit a Megathron (a Gallente battleship) or a Talos with a full rack of tech 2 blasters (the Gallente short range weapons).

With one type of ammo I get amazing damage from 4km to 10km. With another type I get good damage from 10km to 35km, but can't hit close up ships under almost any circumstances.

So I start out with the long range ammo, then swap to the short range if appropriate, and have my drones kill frigates/destroyers or even cruisers that get really close.

With that in mind, don't mix guns, but use drones to cover deficiencies in your guns.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Previous page12