These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Poetic Justice for Gold Farming

Author
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#61 - 2013-08-13 21:20:11 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

What I don't get, is how the EULA is even brought in as there is no case (so far apparently) concerning any EULA breach independent of this case. So relevance has no bearing.

Hell, it mentioned eve online but never said anything about isk or RMT'ing Eve, only that she played it and likened the reference to swords and gold nuggets bleh.

That chief court reporter is terrible.

The other games that she played may have similar documents that outline similar prohibitions.

I don't think I'm saying it right...

The EULA has no bearing on the lawsuit. AAMI is an insurance company.

The EULA is evidence that gold farming is in breach of a contract with CCP. Items acquired through that breach demonstrate fraud. It demonstrates willingness to break the rules, willingness to commit fraud (which is bad for her defence that the robbery was not fraudulently faked on her own behalf), and it demonstrates that the items that were insured were acquired by breaking the rules in the first place. How many insurers will pay out on your broken car if they find out later that the car was stolen to begin with?

So you're saying the part where she had receipts, and called each time she wished to add an item to her insurance, even with her premiums getting upgraded, makes her a criminal? Or would you rather forget those parts and just be offended your shiny gold nugget encrusted sword might have been sold to an orc instead of a dwarf?

Read it just fine. Did you read the part where she's been accused of faking the robbery? It makes all her "honest" hard work completely moot if true.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2013-08-13 21:22:05 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
I found it odd you used an opinion piece to flaunt your journalistic view and then defended it by having an opinion.

Like I said, it made me curious.

But did you tip off someone in the AAMI concerning this specific newspiece? That's what I was referring to. (as an open engaging question, not interrogation or anything).

The original link in the OP is not an opinion piece, it is called 'news', the reporting of events that have taken place in the public interest with the facts of the matter at hand, and I didn't flaunt a journalistic view, I expressed a view as an interest party, ie an EVE player. I did present my opinion, yes, but the writer of the article I posted expressed no opinion of their own. I didn't defend anything 'by having an opinion'. That doesn't even make sense.

Your post #s 1 and 9.

Hell, look at the title of your link! Yea that's "news" alright. Stop trying to muddy the waters. You say you posted an opinion/view based on being an Eve player while declaring you had contacts in the associated parties in the news article as a journalist.

Which, as I said, made me curious.

If it doesn't make sense, then why'd you go both ways on the topic?

How are you not understanding what I am saying? The article in the link is the news. I expressed my opinion based on that news. The title of the link is irrelevant, the content of the article is the news, the content of my post is opinion on the article. How are you so incapable of distinguishing between the two? It's really not that hard. My 12 year old sister can do it, dude.

Easy. I'm questioning your claims as being a journalist and the integrity therein since you used that to try to back your opinion up.

I am indeed understanding what you're saying. Which is why I brought your objectivity into light in the first place.

No, I didn't use the fact that I'm a journalist to back anything up. I stated that as a journalist, I have contacts. It had nothing to do with my opinion, just the fact that journalists in general have contacts. You seemed to be trying to use the fact that I'm a journalist to have a problem with me, just by virtue of being a journalist, and it doesn't really matter if you don't believe that I'm a journalist, it's beside the point, and entirely your problem.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#63 - 2013-08-13 21:22:15 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:

I've read the article. The insurance company is denying her claim and countersuing "accusing Ms Fincham of staging the theft in order to fraudulently claim on her policy."

This is not the same thing as stating that it's POSSIBLE that you can speed in a car so you can't have your claim. The analogy was ****, there are no parallels.

Oh, so let's dodge the part where it's said "Today Judge Sydney Tilmouth, who is presiding over the case, asked counsel for more information about gold farming.

"I don't want you to give evidence from the bar table but what would make it illegal, (these) transfers of money in these games?" he asked.

Craig McCarthy, for AAMI, said that was a complicated question.

"I'm not asserting that it's illegal under Australian law, but there are warning signs (while playing the game) saying it might be illegal to trade," he said.

"The position at law is unclear ... certainly some of the games seem to have what's described as an aggressive policy toward trading, other games seem not to.

"I don't assert that Ms Fincham has broken some international law, it's the fact that the games discourage (gold farming)." " means nothing.

Since it's either illegal or not. I mean, if you REALLY want to base the supposed "fraudulent" claims on something NOT deemed illegal or anything.

Heh.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#64 - 2013-08-13 21:23:09 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
So you're saying the part where she had receipts, and called each time she wished to add an item to her insurance, even with her premiums getting upgraded, makes her a criminal? Or would you rather forget those parts and just be offended your shiny gold nugget encrusted sword might have been sold to an orc instead of a dwarf?

My take was that the actual tussle is over whether the abrupt disappearance of all documentation with the gold constitutes extremely bad luck on the farmer's part, or intent to defraud the insurance company. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that having to advance an argument based on a lack of evidence is an uphill battle--the old joke about elephants hiding in cherry trees comes to mind. Essentially, the insurer is down to arguing that the disappearance of the gold and the only computer that the records were stored on, plus the hacking of both email accounts, is too convenient and too unlikely to be credible.

Given that, establishing that the farmer violated the EULAs of the games she farmed would be circumstantial(?) evidence of bad, or at least not good, intentions.

I'm sure that CCP would just love to know which accounts are involved.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Q 5
999 HOLDINGS LLC
#65 - 2013-08-13 21:24:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Q 5
I got virtual items I would sell Big smile anybody wanna buy?

Ha, I could tell you of a similar story that goes on with most of the mega corps here but I won't cause people would just flame it saying I'm trolling.
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#66 - 2013-08-13 21:26:26 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

My take was that the actual tussle is over whether the abrupt disappearance of all documentation with the gold constitutes extremely bad luck on the farmer's part, or intent to defraud the insurance company. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that having to advance an argument based on a lack of evidence is an uphill battle--the old joke about elephants hiding in cherry trees comes to mind. Essentially, the insurer is down to arguing that the disappearance of the gold and the only computer that the records were stored on, plus the hacking of both email accounts, is too convenient and too unlikely to be credible.

Given that, establishing that the farmer violated the EULAs of the games she farmed would be circumstantial(?) evidence of bad, or at least not good, intentions.

I'm sure that CCP would just love to know which accounts are involved.

This is reasonable, but the article doesn't really discuss the evidence that AAMI has to support their counterclaim. Whether they're relying on this woman's lack of record keeping, or they have other evidence, isn't really specified.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#67 - 2013-08-13 21:26:46 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:

Read it just fine. Did you read the part where she's been accused of faking the robbery? It makes all her "honest" hard work completely moot if true.

Gold farming is not illegal though. However, if she did commit fraud by faking the theft.. then yes, she definitely deserves prosecution. I do not like liars. As to burning and RMTing, yes you can definitely have that opinion.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#68 - 2013-08-13 21:29:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Remiel Pollard wrote:
[

No, I didn't use the fact that I'm a journalist to back anything up. I stated that as a journalist, I have contacts. It had nothing to do with my opinion, just the fact that journalists in general have contacts. You seemed to be trying to use the fact that I'm a journalist to have a problem with me, just by virtue of being a journalist, and it doesn't really matter if you don't believe that I'm a journalist, it's beside the point, and entirely your problem.

You did specifically imply that you "might have" contacted your "contacts" you made while you were a journalist.

You can be anything you want. The second you flaunt it and use it as any source of fact or basis for dependency, it's going to get questioned.

Welcome to the internet, land of Critics.

As an edit, wouldn't it be YOUR problem if I as a reader, didn't believe you were a journalist? I mean, it's not like I care if you are a journalist or not (I am not saying I don't believe you are I just think it's important to separate the 2; player and journalist).

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#69 - 2013-08-13 21:34:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
I mean let's be honest, this news article is a hotspot meant as a 1 hit wonder based on the gaming community's general views against RMTing and Gold Farming.

No one really cares some aussie woman had some gold bars taken out of her safe that was worth $75,000.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#70 - 2013-08-13 21:37:00 UTC
Kristina Fincham, 45, is suing AAMI in the District Court for refusing to pay out her house and contents insurance.

She says the company declined her claim on 75 bars of gold bullion, worth $75,000, which were stolen from her home's wall safe in March 2008.

AAMI has counter-sued, accusing Ms Fincham of staging the theft in order to fraudulently claim on her policy.

Ms Fincham said she had receipts for every gold bar she had purchased from Adelaide Exchange Jewellers.

She had also kept copious notes of her conversations with AAMI, recording the dates and times of her calls to add the gold to her insurance - and the names of the staff with whom she spoke.

Ms Fincham said she had turned those notes into a typed 20-page summary, which was tendered as evidence in the trial.

"The idea (to invest in gold) came along after I had started the insurance policy," she said.

"I would ring them, tell them I had purchased it and tell them I wanted to add it to my policy as a specific item.

"They were quite happy to add it ... one time, they told me I needed to increase my policy because of the value of my contents."

Ms Fincham said she no longer had any records of her business dealings because they were on her computer, which was stolen in the robbery.

She said attempts to access her MSN and Hotmail accounts failed because they had been "hacked".

The trial continues.

Kind of a wishy washy article isn't it?

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#71 - 2013-08-13 21:39:24 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
[

You did specifically imply that you "might have" contacted your "contacts" you made while you were a journalist.

You can be anything you want. The second you flaunt it and use it as any source of fact or basis for dependency, it's going to get questioned.

As an edit, wouldn't it be YOUR problem if I as a reader, didn't believe you were a journalist? I mean, it's not like I care if you are a journalist or not (I am not saying I don't believe you are I just think it's important to separate the 2; player and journalist).

Let me just make one thing clear. I specified that as a journalist, I have contacts. What journalist doesn't have contacts? We keep them all written down in a little notepad still because storing them on a computer is still considered too risky when protecting your sources. You then likened that to carebears threatening other EVE players after getting ganked because said carebears got mad. You are terrible at analogies.

But that's the only context I mentioned my profession in. I offered my opinion as a player, and only a player, not as a journalist. The only time whether you believe I'm a journalist or not is when you know my RL identity and you're reading the work I've produced, and even then it's irrelevant if you are using this disbelief to disregard the content of the work.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#72 - 2013-08-13 21:40:45 UTC
Heywood Djiblomi wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Heywood Djiblomi wrote:
[quote=Remiel Pollard]...most trustworthy banks and insurance companies in the world.

You might find it amusing, but it's a statistically supported fact. Australia's Commonwealth Bank and NAB tie for the 12th safest banks in the entire world..

I believe you misinterpreted my message, so let me bring some clarity:

Trustworthy banks and insurance companies are like unicorns - they do not exist.

Oh I dunno.

I'd wager that a quite a large portion of our player base has seen a unicorn... or is at least capable of it. Blink

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2013-08-13 21:41:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Remiel Pollard
Murk Paradox wrote:
Kristina Fincham, 45, is suing AAMI in the District Court for refusing to pay out her house and contents insurance.

She says the company declined her claim on 75 bars of gold bullion, worth $75,000, which were stolen from her home's wall safe in March 2008.

AAMI has counter-sued, accusing Ms Fincham of staging the theft in order to fraudulently claim on her policy.

Ms Fincham said she had receipts for every gold bar she had purchased from Adelaide Exchange Jewellers.

She had also kept copious notes of her conversations with AAMI, recording the dates and times of her calls to add the gold to her insurance - and the names of the staff with whom she spoke.

Ms Fincham said she had turned those notes into a typed 20-page summary, which was tendered as evidence in the trial.

"The idea (to invest in gold) came along after I had started the insurance policy," she said.

"I would ring them, tell them I had purchased it and tell them I wanted to add it to my policy as a specific item.

"They were quite happy to add it ... one time, they told me I needed to increase my policy because of the value of my contents."

Ms Fincham said she no longer had any records of her business dealings because they were on her computer, which was stolen in the robbery.

She said attempts to access her MSN and Hotmail accounts failed because they had been "hacked".

The trial continues.

Okay, that's enough. I've had it with you. Define 'wishy washy' ffs. Start using some words, you know, the English language. You can't expect me to consider you a serious literature or media critic if you can't even construct your prose with clarity.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#74 - 2013-08-13 21:41:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Remiel Pollard wrote:
[

Let me just make one thing clear. I specified that as a journalist, I have contacts. What journalist doesn't have contacts? We keep them all written down in a little notepad still because storing them on a computer is still considered too risky when protecting your sources. You then likened that to carebears threatening other EVE players after getting ganked because said carebears got mad. You are terrible at analogies.

But that's the only context I mentioned my profession in. I offered my opinion as a player, and only a player, not as a journalist. The only time whether you believe I'm a journalist or not is when you know my RL identity and you're reading the work I've produced, and even then it's irrelevant if you are using this disbelief to disregard the content of the work.

I am not the one who likened them to carebears. I abhore that term. You did imply that you dropped an anonomous line to your contacts at AAMI did you not?

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#75 - 2013-08-13 21:43:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

The trial continues.

Okay, that's enough. I've had it with you. Define 'wishy washy' ffs. Start using some words, you know, the English language. You can't expect me to consider you a serious literature critic if you can't even construct your prose with clarity.

Tepid. Boring. Devoid of life. Lukewarm. Lacking of content. A back page article in a subpar newspaper producing content to a town of 300 people. Like watching a washing machine agitating the soap into a tub fool of whites.

And I am not a serious literature critic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#76 - 2013-08-13 21:44:59 UTC
Why does the picture of the woman not surprise me?

(rhetorical question)

Seriously though, she was buying real gold with the proceeds, and hence may have taken "gold farming" quite literally.

One of the problems with real gold is that it has no intrinsic value. You can't eat it, you can't grow crops with it, you can't defend yourself with it. If she really wanted to invest in such a future where one thinks that gold will be needed, she should have gotten farmland or invested it in an industry based on projected needs (ammo, security, etc).

Oh well.

What comes around does go around, and I think on this one it came around. There's something particularly low about gold farming, but those who would buy "gold" with RMT are equally dysfunctional.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#77 - 2013-08-13 21:48:53 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

(rhetorical question)

Seriously though, she was buying real gold with the proceeds, and hence may have taken "gold farming" quite literally.

One of the problems with real gold is that it has no intrinsic value. You can't eat it, you can't grow crops with it, you can't defend yourself with it. If she really wanted to invest in such a future where one thinks that gold will be needed, she should have gotten farmland or invested it in an industry based on projected needs (ammo, security, etc).

Oh well.

What comes around does go around, and I think on this one it came around. There's something particularly low about gold farming, but those who would buy "gold" with RMT are equally dysfunctional.

I agree, but then, CCP does it with plex so I dunno. Not that I would do it personally, but if it's legal, I don't really have a strengthened opinion concerning it. My money turns into isk. Be it CCP or someone else, meh. I mean hell, plex is technically NOT a commodity since there's no physical commodity involved.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#78 - 2013-08-13 21:50:36 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:

Tepid. Boring. Devoid of life. Lukewarm. Lacking of content. A back page article in a subpar newspaper producing content to a town of 300 people. Like watching a washing machine agitating the soap into a tub fool of whites.

And I am not a serious literature critic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

The content is there in the form of the reporting of the facts of events that took place. This is also the part where you learn that news isn't entertainment, it is news. Also, you may not have noticed, but this article is listed under the "National News" section. I'd hardly call the nation of Australia a town of 300 people. Nor the city of Perth.

Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2013-08-13 21:53:05 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:

(rhetorical question)

Oh well.

I agree, but then, CCP does it with plex so I dunno. Not that I would do it personally, but if it's legal, I don't really have a strengthened opinion concerning it. My money turns into isk. Be it CCP or someone else, meh. I mean hell, plex is technically NOT a commodity since there's no physical commodity involved.

The difference between CCP doing it with plex to sell digital content that is their intellectual property and a player selling digital content that they haven't created is pretty big.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#80 - 2013-08-13 21:55:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

The content is there in the form of the reporting of the facts of events that took place. This is also the part where you learn that news isn't entertainment, it is news. Also, you may not have noticed, but this article is listed under the "National News" section. I'd hardly call the nation of Australia a town of 300 people. Nor the city of Perth.

But I'm not reporting facts. I am posting my opinion on a forum. The article, when showing the true nature of the article, isn't very exciting.

Add the fluff part of "gold farming" and it hits national headlines. It's only a supposed fraud and theft article =/.

Spin spin spin!