These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Issues, Workarounds & Localization

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Laptop dedicated GPU question and/or issue

Author
Ghaustyl Kathix
Rising Thunder
#1 - 2013-05-22 20:36:19 UTC
Hello,

My laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad Z570, has two graphics cards. A low-power Intel, integrated card it uses for everyday things, and a dedicated NVidia Geforce 630M that only runs for processes I tell it to. In the NVidia control panel, it says that it is using the NVidia GPU for ExeFile.exe, but in-game in the video option for the display device, it only recognizes the Intel. I don't know which one it's actually using, but I've been lagging in-game in asteroid fields and other places with a lot of objects and my laptop's been running really hot (usually happens when the Intel piece is running) so I suspect it's the Intel GPU.

My question, which GPU is actually being run? If it's the Intel, how do I get Eve to use the NVidia card? I was planning on recording my low-sec roams, battles and things like that (before anyone says, I was planning on blacking out certain information so that's not much of a problem) but I can't if I'm running on the Intel card.

Thanks!
Alex Fabio
Night Creatures
#2 - 2013-05-22 20:47:58 UTC
Im pretty doubtful that the integrated video chipset would even run eve. It is most likely using the Nvidia card. The 630m isnt awfully powerful in the first place though so you may just need to adjust your video settings accordingly.

I could be wrong but usually those integrated video chipsets don't do much beyond internet browsing and video streaming/browser games.

You can verify all drivers are up to date?
Ghaustyl Kathix
Rising Thunder
#3 - 2013-05-22 21:20:13 UTC
Alex Fabio wrote:
Im pretty doubtful that the integrated video chipset would even run eve. It is most likely using the Nvidia card. The 630m isnt awfully powerful in the first place though so you may just need to adjust your video settings accordingly.

I could be wrong but usually those integrated video chipsets don't do much beyond internet browsing and video streaming/browser games.
That's what they're intended for, but this Intel card is surprisingly beefy. It actually ran Starcraft 2 (on low settings, but it ran it fine). The NVidia card should be able to run Eve really well; after I switched SC2 to use it, I was running it fine on the highest settings.

Alex Fabio wrote:
You can verify all drivers are up to date?
Yep, they are. I actually had a blue-screen of death issue until I updated a few weeks ago.
Mr Chili Palmer
State War Academy
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-05-22 21:38:03 UTC
i use my alienware m17x r3 to play eve it has an integrated intel card and a radeon 6970 card. personally i never use the intel card, however i can confirm that when i did use it, eve played fine, not a graphically pretty but it played. i can also confim that when i play eve i can see my radeon card is been used by eve in the game settings menu, if i turn on the intel card i can see that one there too.

"If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence you ever tried"

"If your boss is getting you down, look at him through the prongs of a fork and imagine him in jail"

Alex Fabio
Night Creatures
#5 - 2013-05-22 22:42:57 UTC
Well the GT 630m is roughly equivalent to a 9600 GT (actually worse in some aspects) so it would lag a bit in eve with the graphics up to high.

But from what i can tell the GT 630m works by enhancing the power of the Intel HD on-board. Like even with the graphics card in the laptop the display is still connected to the computer through the Intel HD on-board connection. So even when the 630m is running it would probably still say it is using the Intel on-board.

found this
"Technically, only the integrated graphic card is attached to the display connections (internal and external) and always outputs the displayed images. As soon as an application needs the performance of the discrete Nvidia graphic card, the driver enables it and computes the images with it. The result isn't (as it would usually be) directly outputted but is simply copied into the output memory (frame buffer) of the integrated graphic card via PCI-E bus."
Ghaustyl Kathix
Rising Thunder
#6 - 2013-05-23 00:02:18 UTC
Alex Fabio wrote:
So even when the 630m is running it would probably still say it is using the Intel on-board.
No other game I have that displays which GPU it's using does this. The only other game that did this was Binary Domain but that just wasn't using the NVidia GPU, and that was later patched to fix it.

I've noticed with several games that when the Intel GPU tries to render by itself my laptop gets much hotter than when it uses the NVidia GPU. I'm noticing that huge temperature increase here, so I'm pretty sure it's using the Intel. The fact that the NVidia control panel things it's the NVidia card being used is consistent with what happened to Binary Domain (and after that was patched, I noticed a major performance increase as it started using the NVidia card). Unfortunately, I can't find any way to fix this; I looked on Google for information about this and all I can find are threads from years ago that were never answered.

Mr Chili Palmer wrote:
i use my alienware m17x r3 to play eve it has an integrated intel card and a radeon 6970 card. personally i never use the intel card, however i can confirm that when i did use it, eve played fine, not a graphically pretty but it played. i can also confim that when i play eve i can see my radeon card is been used by eve in the game settings menu, if i turn on the intel card i can see that one there too.
I've noticed AMD and NVidia have two different ways of switching graphics, and AMD's tends to work a lot more often. P
Jana Melain
Aesir Shipyards.
#7 - 2013-08-09 09:08:26 UTC
I've got the same problems at the moment. My GPU driver was corrupted and I had to reinstall it, and now eve doesn't recognize my nvidia card anymore and I can only play the game with my Intel onboard GPU. Would be nice if someone can post a solution.
Lee Trout
The Salvelinus Fontinalis Corporation
#8 - 2013-08-09 13:59:18 UTC
Eve shows that it's using my intel gpu in the in-game options, however, i always monitor processor temps and loads with gpu-z and although it says intel hd 4000 ingame, it's definitely using my nvidia gt650m. i would recommend monitoring the usage of your nvidia card while playing. either on a second monitor or with a log file. in my case eve just isn't displaying the right card in the options menu, even though it"s using it. I run all settings on maximum and other than a few issues get 150-170 fps at 720p.

-Trout
Ajantschin
Brigade of Guards
#9 - 2013-08-09 15:05:49 UTC
It´s not only Nvidia GPUs, ATI cards have the same problems ....
But Lee Trout is right, in the options menu only the Intel HD 4000 appears, but after I launch EVE it`s definitely using my Radeon 7970M. A good tool to monitor your video card woul be MSI Afterburner or something similar.

At least you don´t have the graphics corruption like we poor bastards have ...
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=254490&find=unread

CCP needs to adress this issue, it´s annoying Sad

Proud member of the Frustrated Association of International Losers Failing Against the Gifted and Superior (F.A.I.L.F.A.G.S.) #Are you a gambling addict? Then this is the right place for you IwantIsk!