These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

So I tried to change my password.. Hass CCP heard of password entropy?

Author
Katana Seiko
Made in Germany
#1 - 2013-08-09 13:10:47 UTC
For some reason, CCP is now one of those companies that forces the user to have a certain difficulty in their password strength. I don't know if CCP ever heard of Password Entropy. For us human beings, remembering a password is not very easy, especially if we have to accomplish what you ask for:

http://eve-files.com/dl/264083

Let's say, I want to put in this as my password: "iloveCCPsoMuchThatIstayHere" - that's long, easy to remember and your average password cracker will be busy for quite a while (about 2^50 bits of entropy, takes about 600 years at 1000 guesses per second).

On the other hand, your definition of "safe" is "I don't ever remember that ****". A password with the required configuration will probably be at most 10, maybe 11 characters. That is as much as the normal human being can remember without writing it down. This is about 28 bits of entropy. An average password cracker (1000 guesses per second) can crack this in about 3 days. That is shorter than it takes you to remember this password.

My request to CCP therefore: I don't need to add all that **** into my password. Just put one of these sliders next to the password field that measures safety by what you enter (it's already "safe" at small letters and numbers above 9 characters). Deny access when someone puts a dictionary word or "12345" into the box. And maybe you want to add support for the Google Authenticator. It's the easiest 2-point authentication you can come by today..
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#2 - 2013-08-09 14:01:59 UTC
Are you just fundamentally unhappy ?

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Rain6638
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2013-08-09 15:17:40 UTC
yeah op, don't be sad, you should be gay every day like Krixtal

[ 2013.06.21 09:52:05 ] (notify) For initiating combat your security status has been adjusted by -0.1337

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#4 - 2013-08-09 15:20:25 UTC
Rain6638 wrote:
yeah op, don't be sad, you should be gay every day like Krixtal

One area in which I do most indeed succeed Lol

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#5 - 2013-08-09 15:35:01 UTC
Generate random password. Write on post it note.
Alternatively.
Save in a .txt file kept in a truecrypt volume on Dropbox.

You lock your front door at night, put letters in envelopes and keep your money in a bank, so why not encrypt your data?

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#6 - 2013-08-09 21:01:15 UTC
It really isn't that hard to remember passwords with special characters, especially if you use them each day. The easiest form is creating a 3 word sentence and replacing vowels with special characters and numbers i.e. Thr33Mount@inDog.

I'm not going to describe the combination that I use but I can say that I use 16 different passwords everyday that are complex and I have no issue remembering those. On top of those I also have a varying amount of passwords that alternate, frequency depending on the length of a test here at work.

But judging by the comments explaining all that looks like a point made in futility. Got a certain reputation going for you?

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Emiko P'eng
#7 - 2013-08-10 13:30:52 UTC
Just pick a mathematical formula Big smile

For Example:

One + 1 = Two

or

1000-(Ten*50)=FiveHundred

or

2000 / (500*Four)=One

or

35_÷_ Seven_=_ 5

or

12 / √Sixteen=Three

or

ThreeMinus2=1

or

Four x ¼ = 1

or for insecure sites that don't like special characters!

99Minus33isSixtySix

It can be a bit tricky if you use ' ' or '_' & mix them or use them in random positions Roll, I prefer to either not use them or use one or the other through out the entire password Big smile

I have used this method for years and as a result I can remember over 80 different passwords for all the various most used items that require a password. If you include past items and rarely used ones then I have used over 200+ different passwords Big smile

PS:

Just so as not to be totally predictable I also use Emoticon style passwords as well like:

iAMhAPPY:-D

or

IHateThisSiteಠ_ಠ