These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Carl Sagan's Birthday was today.

First post
Author
Kern Hotha
#21 - 2011-11-10 10:08:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Kern Hotha
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Sagan was the greatest communicator of our time. He could speak about any scientific discipline and make it fascinating. I wish more people regarded people like him as role models.

We distinguish the excellent man from the common man by saying that the former is the one who makes great demands upon himself, and the latter who makes no demands on himself.

Jose Ortega y Gasset (1883 - 1955)

Ann133566
Doomheim
#22 - 2011-11-10 10:14:21 UTC
pussnheels wrote:
Ann133566 wrote:
Carl Sagan had a vision for humanity that no longer seems to exist. A truly inspiring, and charismatic figure that saw the universe in all it's beauty and all it flaws and yet had a unshakable curiousity. A scientist with the soul of a poet, one of the greatest Americans of the 20th century.

a bit selfish to call him the greatest American alone you knowP we in the rest of the world admired him aswell
one of the great thinkers of the 20 th century

I'm not an American, so I'm being unselfish. Lol
pussnheels
Viziam
#23 - 2011-11-10 10:24:58 UTC
Ann133566 wrote:
pussnheels wrote:
Ann133566 wrote:
Carl Sagan had a vision for humanity that no longer seems to exist. A truly inspiring, and charismatic figure that saw the universe in all it's beauty and all it flaws and yet had a unshakable curiousity. A scientist with the soul of a poet, one of the greatest Americans of the 20th century.

a bit selfish to call him the greatest American alone you knowP we in the rest of the world admired him aswell
one of the great thinkers of the 20 th century

I'm not an American, so I'm being unselfish. Lol

lol ok

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#24 - 2011-11-10 10:31:02 UTC
A proper human, a genius of our times, an excellent scientist and exobiologist.

My favourite quote of him when he was being interviewed on radio by a rabid creationist :-

"It's not whether you're right or wrong Sir, you're not even in the conversation." - Carl Sagan

Excellent put-down :D

CCP Manifest
CCP Retirement Home
#25 - 2011-11-10 15:13:27 UTC
Indeed. Happy birthday Carl. Shot up a link on Facebook to honor the man...but more what he stands for. SCIENCE and WONDER.

======== o7 _CCP Manifest | Public Relations and Social Media | @ccp_manifest_

Tear Miner
Doomheim
#26 - 2011-11-11 05:22:22 UTC
NASA did a much better video of the same sound clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY59wZdCDo0

But yes, science and wonder :D
Something Random
Strategic Exploration and Development Corp
Silent Company
#27 - 2011-11-11 14:17:17 UTC
Went and bought the DVD set of COSMOS a while back, still have a last few to watch but it is a great series even now.

Dis'ing Brian Cox here though is a bit pointless, seeing as how the guy picked up his battered copy of the COSMOS book and explained to everyone it was what caught his imagination and sent him on the journey to Astrophysics.
You need a club with "im updating and spreading the message..." written on it or something ?

Sagans ideals are usurped by business nowadays with little in the way of explorative experimentation and endeavor in this field, due to the lack of money, if it isnt going to be 'profitable' research.

Which leads us to The Daily Mail science pages and the desperate claims of failed and flawed 'expensive' research.

Happy Birthday anyway Carl - if my brain was bigger and my wallet deeper i would follow you with a passion.

"caught on fire a little bit, just a little."

"Delinquents, check, weirdos, check, hippies, check, pillheads, check, freaks, check, potheads, check .....gangs´╗┐ all here!"

I love Science, it gives me a Hadron.

Previous page12