These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

eve-kino: My next adventure in WebGL; Create machinimas using ccpwgl

First post
Author
Liu Ellens
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-06-28 07:46:30 UTC
I combined ccpwgl with my desire for well-choreographed machinimas in the EVE universe - and out came the idea of "eve-kino"!

The user-side announcement of my new lean approach is here, this thread is for the code & technology side :)
(For easier clicks: tech-demo video here - youtube, 17sec)

I just sent my registration on 3rdpartyeve.net (and realized I forgot to add the link to the VideoLog channel - how to change/update a registration in hindsight?)
The source is now available on GitHub as well.

Funnily enough, I regularly end up with projects in 3D space and while I understand the concept of vector/matrix calculations and 3D in general, it always takes time until it all melds together until I can feel at home. It took me a few iterations of trial-and-error until I got the rotations correct ;) But at least I'm wielding the power of quaternions.
The careful observer will note that I upgraded the used glMatrix library from CCP's used 0.9.5 to 1.3.7, which - although also outdated because glMatrix 2.x already exists - provides the awesome helper of mat4.fromRotationTranslation()

Apart from being in its infancy, eve-kino is also limited by the availability of CCP's art resources. Still no news when we have the full package available.

Well, they oughta know what to do with them hogs out there for shure.

Peter Powers
FinFleet
Northern Coalition.
#2 - 2013-06-28 09:10:45 UTC
Liu Ellens wrote:

I just sent my registration on 3rdpartyeve.net (and realized I forgot to add the link to the VideoLog channel - how to change/update a registration in hindsight?)

I took the freedom to add your videolog.

atm i'm the only one who can edit those entries, when i created 3rdpartyeve.net i was exepecting oauth2 by ccp to come along much faster than it is taking now, so there is still no login mechanism and for that no editing.

your project seems quite interesting, and i look forward to follow it, i'd love to see a few sophisticated videos made with it.

3rdPartyEve.net - your catalogue for 3rd party applications

cerbus
Carpe Noctem.
#3 - 2013-07-04 14:09:42 UTC
I've created some of the variants of Vexors that exist in the client files (should have them all done by this weekend aswell as fixed a few texture issues), feel free to use them if you wish.

I can see where all the converted ships are, but as of yet am unable to use them to create more manufacturer variants. :(

I'm not a coder so it will take me some time to get them ready.

http://www.caldariprimeponyclub.com/cppc/quafe_vexor.html

This character is no longer affiliated with the Caldari Prime Pony Club.

Liu Ellens
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-07-04 18:00:48 UTC
Cool stuff! I was thinking about having the option of loading resources from additional sources - other than the CCP CDN; The resource-loader of ccpwgl can handle several sources. It would be awesome to load more than the standard set.

Although, I'd really like to have more (all!) of the standard ships available instead of the few current ones. My github issue about that is still unanswered.

cerbus
Carpe Noctem.
#5 - 2013-07-05 01:44:33 UTC
Liu Ellens wrote:
Cool stuff! I was thinking about having the option of loading resources from additional sources - other than the CCP CDN; The resource-loader of ccpwgl can handle several sources. It would be awesome to load more than the standard set.

Although, I'd really like to have more (all!) of the standard ships available instead of the few current ones. My github issue about that is still unanswered.

If someone could identify what 3d format the .wgl models are, I would be able to convert all the existing hulls, and I could also create most of the webgl .red files required for them.

This character is no longer affiliated with the Caldari Prime Pony Club.

Liu Ellens
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-08-06 20:46:00 UTC
Well, the AT XI weeks went past me without notice. Only after I skimmed through the CREST thread I found out that I again managed to sit behind the moon. More specifically about the implications of Two Step's little experiment here.

But, on the plus side, from this experiment I found out that apparently CCP did upload more of the resources, and eve-kino release v.0.0.6 offers now what I could extract from this graphicIDs.js file. (Thanks, Two Step!)

Still, apparently this stuff got released without (my) notice - What secret channels do I have to attend to know about this? The github issue list doesn't seem to be maintained. And: Where did this graphicIDs.js file come from?

CCP Bracari
Doomheim
#7 - 2013-08-07 11:31:37 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Bracari
Liu Ellens wrote:
Still, apparently this stuff got released without (my) notice - What secret channels do I have to attend to know about this? The github issue list doesn't seem to be maintained. And: Where did this graphicIDs.js file come from?

There wasn't an "official release", the file was deployed to the cdn for use in this: http://community.eveonline.com/community/alliance-tournament/battlespace-simulator-xi/

There was some chatter back and forth on irc about webgl resources and I pointed some people there to the file.

edit: Forgot to mention, we uploaded just about every ship that's on tranquility to the CDN, as a requirement for the above link

Team Special Circumstances