These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Bradley Manning Verdict

Author
Astenion
Zeeman Industries
The Ancients.
#41 - 2013-08-03 12:47:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Astenion
Alpheias wrote:
Astenion wrote:
The irony in all of this is that the US wants out of NATO, but the European members are begging them to stay because the US pays 1/4 of the NATO budget alone and has allowed Europe to shirk its military fiscal responsibilities with the notion of, "If anything happens, the Americans will come anyway so why should we invest in our own defense?"

Because America is tired of holding your ******* hand, that's why. However, due to your utter impotence and short-sightedness, it has no choice. America looks out for its own interests, as it should, but as a close second also looks out for the interests of its allies, believe it or not. Europeans wouldn't **** on each other to put each other out if they were on fire, much less give a toss about its babysitter's interests. If you want America out of Europe, try convincing your politicians to stop paying themselves an exorbitant amount of money that makes American politicians' salaries look like janitor wages, take control over NATO, and stop shirking its responsibilities. Europeans still don't get it: what affects you affects Americans, no matter what the idiot American public may think. If you refuse to do anything about it, someone has to take the reigns while you sit around eating olives on your 6 weeks of vacation per year from your job in which it is quite literally impossible to be fired.

Also, I LOVE how this entire NSA controversy has been focused entirely on Americans, yet the UK was right there with us the entire time as well as the "victims" of said controversy.

Sounds like the only intelligent thing you can do in a situation like this is find a job that involved you moving back home rather than being on a continent full of "hypocrites" such as the Europeans that has the favorite pastime of bashing anything and everything 'MURICAN. Right?

Hypocritical Europeans are much more tolerable than Republicans...plus living in the states is dull. Hypocrisy here is like a hemorrhoid: extremely annoying but it comes and goes and doesn't ruin your life. Republicans and their neo-con hawks are cancer.

I'll take the hemorrhoid.

Also, Europe is focking awesome.
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#42 - 2013-08-03 15:51:57 UTC
Astenion wrote:
The irony in all of this is that the US wants out of NATO, but the European members are begging them to stay because the US pays 1/4 of the NATO budget alone and has allowed Europe to shirk its military fiscal responsibilities with the notion of, "If anything happens, the Americans will come anyway so why should we invest in our own defense?"

Sir I think you will find you are consider ably wrong on this. The US pays 3/4 of NATO and just over 50% of the worlds defense spending. Now NATO requires 2% of gdp to be spent on defense, which it generally is. The us spends 4.4%, and has the largest airforce in the USAF, and the second in the form of the US Navy air arm. The US is so heavily militarised it has changed the definition to the point where in its absence the British, Frensh and Russians would be the reighning superpowers.

So far much of this money has been mismanaged in the case of the f35, and a bevy of other developmental systems such as overproduction of the Abrams. Like Britain in the runup to ww1 I suspect that this overcapacity is beginning to be a liability as the US economy is having troubles lowering its military posture for peacetime. How stable is the dollar if money is being printed to support defecit spending on a military of such a scale?

I do think that we need to invest in a unified military in Europe, cut out the redundencies and build up strategic capabilities but we pulled from the East of Suez decades ago, the Cold War was won, Russia tamed and pulled into our sphere and the Atlantic secured. Argentina is the biggest threat to Britain conventionally, and the most likely major war is in the Pacific. Should we enter a war on that scale we can assume we will gear appropriately, but for now we are geared under by less than what you appear to beleive.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Alpheias
The Khaleph
#43 - 2013-08-03 15:56:25 UTC
Astenion wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
Astenion wrote:

Because America is tired of holding your ******* hand, that's why. However, due to your utter impotence and short-sightedness, it has no choice. America looks out for its own interests, as it should, but as a close second also looks out for the interests of its allies, believe it or not. Europeans wouldn't **** on each other to put each other out if they were on fire, much less give a toss about its babysitter's interests. If you want America out of Europe, try convincing your politicians to stop paying themselves an exorbitant amount of money that makes American politicians' salaries look like janitor wages, take control over NATO, and stop shirking its responsibilities. Europeans still don't get it: what affects you affects Americans, no matter what the idiot American public may think. If you refuse to do anything about it, someone has to take the reigns while you sit around eating olives on your 6 weeks of vacation per year from your job in which it is quite literally impossible to be fired.

Also, I LOVE how this entire NSA controversy has been focused entirely on Americans, yet the UK was right there with us the entire time as well as the "victims" of said controversy.

Sounds like the only intelligent thing you can do in a situation like this is find a job that involved you moving back home rather than being on a continent full of "hypocrites" such as the Europeans that has the favorite pastime of bashing anything and everything 'MURICAN. Right?

Hypocritical Europeans are much more tolerable than Republicans...plus living in the states is dull. Hypocrisy here is like a hemorrhoid: extremely annoying but it comes and goes and doesn't ruin your life. Republicans and their neo-con hawks are cancer.

Just admit it as is, you have been here so long that they won't be let back into the States. P

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Mr Morita
Xtreme Role Players
#44 - 2013-08-03 23:34:15 UTC
Tumahub wrote:
Kirjava wrote:
Best outcome, stern message to people that leaks are bad, but sometimes necessary under certain conditions. Of which Manning did not meet, hence guilty of theft and Espionage.

Curious to see the consequences on Julian Assange next.

Could have been worse, but I would disagree this is the "best," outcome. Sends the message that if you provide information to the public about government crimes you will go to jail for 100+ years after being paraded around the media as a sodomite enemy of the state.

Journalism was already dead, but this is the official politburo nail in the coffin.

i still have no potato
Reiisha
#45 - 2013-08-04 01:26:19 UTC
Astenion wrote:
Reiisha wrote:
Astenion wrote:
While I agree that Americans should be ridiculed for being rather ignorant and ego-centric, the hate coming from Europe, most notably the UK, has to stop. In Europe, it's not prejudicial as long as the target is an American, and it's disgusting.

To be honest, this is coming from both sides, not just Europeans.

Because all Germans are na-zed-i's, all French are coward, croissant eating lazy farmers, all Dutch people are high and morally corrupt because weed is legal.... The stuff i've heard from some Americans quite frankly trumps whatever's going on the other way if i'm honest as far as prejudices go. On one hand there's prejudices based on what we see in the news and what a certain country is doing to others in the rest of the world, on the other hand there's prejudices based on hearsay and fairytales made up by people who have never even left their state.

You act like the ignorant Americans are the only ones in the world who look down upon other nations. How many times have you heard the English talk badly about the French? It's practically a national pastime. When was the last time you heard any European NOT speak badly of Italians, even when most of the time it's flat-out racism? But that's ok in Europe, because it's ok to be racist as long as everyone can agree on the country deemed at fault.

While I love living here and I'll never leave, Europe as a whole is one big ball of hypocrisy in nearly any controversy. Europeans hide behind their relative anonymity among themselves in order to lash out against other people because they know it's so much easier to find something wrong with a big issue while simultaneously hiding the mountain of smaller but equally disturbing issues in their own country.

Europeans are that guy who throws the shoe at the band from the crowd and then moves through the crowd so no one can find him, and then defends his actions by saying the band sucks in his opinion and deserved it. Americans can be just as hypocritical, but to act like Europe is some bastion of generosity, fairness, and tolerance is absolutely idiotic. It's cool as hell and I love living here, but it's just as ****** up as the US, just in different ways.

It's not a bastion of those things.

Europe is self-conscious. They know that their own stuff is crap. Problem is that most Americans think their country, their products and their life is so good that it has to be forced on everyone else. Or do you think all those wars are 'for democracy? Maybe, but for American democracy. You know, "You can have democracy as long as you do exactly what the American Empire tells you to do. And if you don't want democracy you'll do it anyway." Europe and every other country in the world is at the mercy and beckon of the US, so yes, obviously Europeans (and everyone else) is kind of annoyed at them, especially when they act all high and mighty based on prejudices and misinformation.

If you want hipocricy, you need not look beyond the borders of the US. To follow your analogy, the US is the guy at a rock concert who threatens to shoot the band unless they play country & western.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-08-04 11:31:38 UTC
Reiisha wrote:

Europe is self-conscious. They know that their own stuff is crap. Problem is that most Americans think their country, their products and their life is so good that it has to be forced on everyone else. Or do you think all those wars are 'for democracy? Maybe, but for American democracy. You know, "You can have democracy as long as you do exactly what the American Empire tells you to do. And if you don't want democracy you'll do it anyway." Europe and every other country in the world is at the mercy and beckon of the US, so yes, obviously Europeans (and everyone else) is kind of annoyed at them, especially when they act all high and mighty based on prejudices and misinformation.

If you want hipocricy, you need not look beyond the borders of the US. To follow your analogy, the US is the guy at a rock concert who threatens to shoot the band unless they play country & western.

indeed we suck. just look at what we did with africa back in the 1600's and stuff.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Medarr
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#47 - 2013-08-04 16:32:13 UTC
Astenion wrote:

You got some warped views there mate and as for the GHCQ being there.. It got asked by the USA to SPY on US citizens so they ( the NSA ) could avoid some legal ramifications.
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#48 - 2013-08-04 16:41:11 UTC
Going to raise my hand and say Europe is best continent.

We have our flaws, our weaknesses and our history, but we are getting better all the time. We live on what is now the safest scrap of Earth and its most prosperous, boasting the largest economy, highest capita per head of any continent and longest life expectancy. The seeds of our future were planted in the bloodiest wars in history, and we've not starved since the war. We have had our most peaceful existence since the Roman Empire and are moving towards a strong secular scientific routed society.

Hopefully we can get to the point where we have a formal federation negotiated to stake our case in the world, I'm not arguing from a pansy weak "but we need to help" perspective but a centralised power with which to engage challenges in future. Military, economic, diplomatic and R&D. Ideally something like a scaled up Japan with the R&D setup, but with the ESA and CERN we seem to be halfway there already, just need to increase funding to 0.5% of GDP, our current it 17 trillion iirc...

Reiisha, we are hardly crap, we don't have the brand names for consumer products and services but the business to business end of things, chemical processing, computer chip design for selling licensing to fabricators, infrastructure design and engineering.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Astenion
Zeeman Industries
The Ancients.
#49 - 2013-08-04 17:37:22 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Astenion wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
Astenion wrote:

Just admit it as is, you have been here so long that they won't be let back into the States. P

You're probably right!
Astenion
Zeeman Industries
The Ancients.
#50 - 2013-08-04 17:56:19 UTC
Reiisha wrote:
Astenion wrote:
Reiisha wrote:
Astenion wrote:
While I agree that Americans should be ridiculed for being rather ignorant and ego-centric, the hate coming from Europe, most notably the UK, has to stop. In Europe, it's not prejudicial as long as the target is an American, and it's disgusting.

To be honest, this is coming from both sides, not just Europeans.

Because all Germans are na-zed-i's, all French are coward, croissant eating lazy farmers, all Dutch people are high and morally corrupt because weed is legal.... The stuff i've heard from some Americans quite frankly trumps whatever's going on the other way if i'm honest as far as prejudices go. On one hand there's prejudices based on what we see in the news and what a certain country is doing to others in the rest of the world, on the other hand there's prejudices based on hearsay and fairytales made up by people who have never even left their state.

You act like the ignorant Americans are the only ones in the world who look down upon other nations. How many times have you heard the English talk badly about the French? It's practically a national pastime. When was the last time you heard any European NOT speak badly of Italians, even when most of the time it's flat-out racism? But that's ok in Europe, because it's ok to be racist as long as everyone can agree on the country deemed at fault.

While I love living here and I'll never leave, Europe as a whole is one big ball of hypocrisy in nearly any controversy. Europeans hide behind their relative anonymity among themselves in order to lash out against other people because they know it's so much easier to find something wrong with a big issue while simultaneously hiding the mountain of smaller but equally disturbing issues in their own country.

Europeans are that guy who throws the shoe at the band from the crowd and then moves through the crowd so no one can find him, and then defends his actions by saying the band sucks in his opinion and deserved it. Americans can be just as hypocritical, but to act like Europe is some bastion of generosity, fairness, and tolerance is absolutely idiotic. It's cool as hell and I love living here, but it's just as ****** up as the US, just in different ways.

Everything you've said is true, and I never said America wasn't hypocritical. I'm pointing out the fact that Europeans tend to point the finger at murica for quite nearly everything. Yes Europe is very self-conscious, but it's also got an inferiority complex and has made murica bashing practically a pastime lately, even when it's not warranted. My only problem is that Europeans act like the US is at fault for acting in its own selfish interests. What do you expect? Why on earth would you put another country's welfare above your own? When was the last time any European country did ANYTHING selflessly? And now Europe is surprised that the US foreign policy is all about furthering its own interests, as if it were some sort of charity before now. It's a country with its own citizens to protect as well as its own interests, so you shouldn't be surprised when American foreign policy is less than desirable when it comes to European countries. It's not like the US is an occupying force in Europe; European countries can ask them to leave any time they want just as Iceland did.

This is where the hypocrisy comes in. Your own countries complain and whine and point the finger and lambaste the US for its presence around the world, its foreign policy, etc., yet your own governments do nothing to rectify the situation for YOU.

All I'm asking is for once, just once, that Europe owns up to the fact that they don't like Americans out of a payback, "haha we told you so" petty sentiment, and not some uppity, high-and-mighty concern for the welfare of others, because Europe doesn't give a toss about its own countries, much less anyone else. It's like asking a racist to simply admit to being racist, that's all. I'm not even contesting the subject matter, just that Europeans need to admit that their dislike of America and Americans really and truly has less to do with foreign policy and actual personal experience and more to do with what they see on tv and their own personal prejudices. For example, the UK is the biggest hypocrite in their anti-Americanism because it's not even a moral or ethical disagreement, but rather that it's the US perpetrating all this instead of they themselves, because everyone knows that all empires are bad unless they're British. And yes, let's go on and admit that America is an empire; maybe not a military or conquering empire, but it is most definitely an economical empire whose decisions affect everyone the world over.
Astenion
Zeeman Industries
The Ancients.
#51 - 2013-08-04 18:00:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Astenion
Kirjava wrote:
Going to raise my hand and say Europe is best continent.

We have our flaws, our weaknesses and our history, but we are getting better all the time. We live on what is now the safest scrap of Earth and its most prosperous, boasting the largest economy, highest capita per head of any continent and longest life expectancy. The seeds of our future were planted in the bloodiest wars in history, and we've not starved since the war. We have had our most peaceful existence since the Roman Empire and are moving towards a strong secular scientific routed society.

Hopefully we can get to the point where we have a formal federation negotiated to stake our case in the world, I'm not arguing from a pansy weak "but we need to help" perspective but a centralised power with which to engage challenges in future. Military, economic, diplomatic and R&D. Ideally something like a scaled up Japan with the R&D setup, but with the ESA and CERN we seem to be halfway there already, just need to increase funding to 0.5% of GDP, our current it 17 trillion iirc...

Reiisha, we are hardly crap, we don't have the brand names for consumer products and services but the business to business end of things, chemical processing, computer chip design for selling licensing to fabricators, infrastructure design and engineering.

I've got to agree here as well: Europe is the best continent, imo. The safety, security, COMMON SENSE, civility (for the most part), and culture make it my favorite place on earth, and I'll never leave it without a six-figure salary to take me away.

The hypocrisy is a pet peeve of mine, but it's not a show-stopper or a game-changer. I'm just bringing it to light because it needs to be addressed. I've already raved how great it is to live here, how tolerant it is, how safe it is, how rich in history and culture it is, how healthy it is, etc., yet people still seem to get uppity and offended when I call them hypocritical in their attitudes towards the US, and it IS hypocritical whether they want to believe it or not. They sound like, well, AMERICANS when someone points out a single fault out of all the positive things that outnumber it, as if you have to be all or nothing in your compliments. That is VERY American-like, which is just another example of the hypocrisy I'm talking about. It's still better than dealing with the conservative morons back in the states, however. Like I said, I'll take the hemorrhoid over the cancer. Hemorrhoids don't ruin your life, but cancer kills.
Astenion
Zeeman Industries
The Ancients.
#52 - 2013-08-04 18:02:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Astenion
Medarr wrote:
Astenion wrote:

You got some warped views there mate and as for the GHCQ being there.. It got asked by the USA to SPY on US citizens so they ( the NSA ) could avoid some legal ramifications.

Really, so is that why Germany has brought charges against both the US and UK? The UK is absolved of all responsibility because the US asked them to do it? Are you even trying anymore?

How can Europeans be so cognizant of what's going on in the world, so informed, yet at the same time so disingenuous and naive when it comes to foreign policy? How can you honestly be shocked by this NSA story, and furthermore, how can you sit there and claim, "Well, here in Europe, we don't spy on our citizens." Are you kidding me? It's not even a secret here! If anything, it's EASIER for European countries to spy on its citizens than it is for America to spy on its citizens. Even the most cursory google search will net you all the information you need to just how much of a sitting duck we are in Europe, and how often our individual governments take advantage of that fact. Wake up, "mate".

Ask the French how often they spy on US diplomats as well as other EU members' diplomats. Ask the South Koreans how much they spy on the US. Go ahead and get all uppity and offended by having been spied on; that's how you get left out of the intelligence loop. No one trusts a country who claims to be above spying.

Everyone spies on everyone. To claim different means you're either a complete idiot or completely clueless or a hypocrite, which in this case Europe is the hypocrite.
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#53 - 2013-08-04 19:00:57 UTC
Astenion wrote:
They sound like, well, AMERICANS when someone points out a single fault out of all the positive things that outnumber it, as if you have to be all or nothing in your compliments. That is VERY American-like, which is just another example of the hypocrisy I'm talking about. It's still better than dealing with the conservative morons back in the states, however. Like I said, I'll take the hemorrhoid over the cancer. Hemorrhoids don't ruin your life, but cancer kills.

Correction, both of them sound like Westerners. USA is just another European nation situated on a landmass not in Europe in my opinion. Speaks English, directly references Greece, Rome and British Empires, is essentially the first British Empire running itself minus the motherland.

As soon as you start looking at the US like this, it all clicks into place rapidly.

And with every European cycle, there is a dominant power that waxes, wanes till another one out competes it. This is Western civilisation in a nutshell, and the balkanised nature of Europe doesn't stop the US being a part of the competing nations system as one with 312M people, a similar ratio of France to the rest of Europe found in the 1700's funnily enough. In a few decades on our current route places may switch, and we have Europeans chanting supremacy on the internet and media ala U-S-A! U-S-A!, or maybe the Russians.

Cyclical in nature, and western nations always game each other, redefine the game to cheat and then capitalise on it.

Astenion
Zeeman Industries
The Ancients.
#54 - 2013-08-04 20:43:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Astenion
Very astutely put, sir. You have given me food for thought.

While I love the European continent and love European society, I can't help be feel a tinge of sadness for how silly the US has become as of late.

MIne is a strange situation: I feel almost as a man without a home (although I feel most at home in Europe). I don't belong in the US, and I'll never be truly European. However, I look at it as a strength, as I'm able to see things for how they truly are without any prejudice or influence; I'm able to be truly objective. It's both a blessing and a curse.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2013-08-05 11:18:00 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
Astenion wrote:
They sound like, well, AMERICANS when someone points out a single fault out of all the positive things that outnumber it, as if you have to be all or nothing in your compliments. That is VERY American-like, which is just another example of the hypocrisy I'm talking about. It's still better than dealing with the conservative morons back in the states, however. Like I said, I'll take the hemorrhoid over the cancer. Hemorrhoids don't ruin your life, but cancer kills.

Correction, both of them sound like Westerners. USA is just another European nation situated on a landmass not in Europe in my opinion. Speaks English, directly references Greece, Rome and British Empires, is essentially the first British Empire running itself minus the motherland.

As soon as you start looking at the US like this, it all clicks into place rapidly.

And with every European cycle, there is a dominant power that waxes, wanes till another one out competes it. This is Western civilisation in a nutshell, and the balkanised nature of Europe doesn't stop the US being a part of the competing nations system as one with 312M people, a similar ratio of France to the rest of Europe found in the 1700's funnily enough. In a few decades on our current route places may switch, and we have Europeans chanting supremacy on the internet and media ala U-S-A! U-S-A!, or maybe the Russians.

Cyclical in nature, and western nations always game each other, redefine the game to cheat and then capitalise on it.

until the day my country comes out on top, I really don't care about it.

if my country comes out on top, may all the gods have mercy on us

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#56 - 2013-08-05 12:07:31 UTC
Grimpak wrote:

You were the superpower of the western world 500 years ago, Lisbon the center of learning, Japanese word for pink is the same as in Portugusese and you guys founded Nagasaki as a trade outpost. Then did Brazil for an encore.

For the record Brazils as western as the US in my opinion, but everyone seems to forget they are there due to a low trade with Europe, so far... Hows Brazil seen in Portugal these days?

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2013-08-05 12:20:56 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
Grimpak wrote:

You were the superpower of the western world 500 years ago, Lisbon the center of learning, Japanese word for pink is the same as in Portugusese and you guys founded Nagasaki as a trade outpost. Then did Brazil for an encore.

For the record Brazils as western as the US in my opinion, but everyone seems to forget they are there due to a low trade with Europe, so far... Hows Brazil seen in Portugal these days?

that was only because, somehow and by a fluke of destiny, we managed to put a king on the seat, that wasn't planned to be a king nor wanted it.

trust me, you don't want us as leaders, even the Romans learned about it.

and Brazil atm? Relatively expensive but popular vacation destiny/place to where our technical engineers that come fresh out of university want to go to work.

Alpheias
The Khaleph
#58 - 2013-08-05 18:55:35 UTC
Astenion wrote:
Very astutely put, sir. You have given me food for thought.

While I love the European continent and love European society, I can't help be feel a tinge of sadness for how silly the US has become as of late.

MIne is a strange situation: I feel almost as a man without a home (although I feel most at home in Europe). I don't belong in the US, and I'll never be truly European. However, I look at it as a strength, as I'm able to see things for how they truly are without any prejudice or influence; I'm able to be truly objective. It's both a blessing and a curse.

You are a human being. You are a resident of this planet. **** nationality.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Previous page123