These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Eve needs joystick control

Author
General Windypops
Skullduggery Inc.
#1 - 2011-11-10 23:22:39 UTC
Hi

I quite like playing Eve online but I can't help thinking that the following would make it a far better game

1. joystick 'twitch' style controls - the ability to control your ship using a joystick or xbox style controller to move your ship around
2. A 'quick match' option where you can enter a battledrome style arena for quick battles against people
3. A 'no-PVP' server where people could just go about their life wihout being ganked by people.

I hope CCP will consider these as it would really make the game much more popular. Thanks

Windy

[img]http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1305/hoff_sig.gif[/img]

Amsterdam Conversations
Doomheim
#2 - 2011-11-10 23:23:56 UTC
Eve needs a dislike button.
Large Collidable Object
morons.
#3 - 2011-11-10 23:27:19 UTC
General Windypops wrote:
3. A 'no-PVP' server where people could just go about their life wihout being ganked by people.

Try TQ in winter.
You know... [morons.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjOx65yD5A)
Krios Ahzek
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2011-11-10 23:29:56 UTC
Joystick control fails for game engine reasons.

Besides, it would completely suck for any ship that does under 400 m/s, it would be just way too slow.

Though All Men Do Despise Us

Cpt Syrinx
Jovian Labs
Jovian Enterprises
#5 - 2011-11-10 23:30:00 UTC
it really does not need any of those things :)
Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#6 - 2011-11-10 23:30:06 UTC
1) have you ever tried to do a flight sim at 1fps. That is what the control would be like in a joystick EVE.

2) go to WOW if you want those

3) EVE is only one server (other than the CHinese one due to China's internet laws). Also, A no PvP server would be you in your CQ. That is it.
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#7 - 2011-11-10 23:30:28 UTC
Amsterdam Conversations wrote:
Eve needs a dislike button.

Indeed.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#8 - 2011-11-10 23:32:01 UTC
Must be dinner time.

I figured this would be three pages by now.

You've stumped them, General. They are either struck speechless or writing novelettes to post shortly.

Mr Epeen Cool
Dirk Magnum
Spearhead Endeavors
#9 - 2011-11-10 23:36:35 UTC
You don't even need a joystick control, just the ability to the turn the mouse into a mechanism for left/right yaw and left/right/up/down pitch. Every aerial combat game has this. It would greatly improve the experience of frigate, destroyer, and some cruiser combat. Since it would be an optional, toggleable feature you could just switch it off when conventional manual vectoring, orbiting, or rangeholding will suffice (PvE, large/heavy ship flying, etc.)

How a decent idea got mixed in with ideas about a PvE server and arena combat I don't know. Cry Maybe it's the stopped clock principle.

"LIVE FAST DIE." - traditional Minmatar ethos [citation needed]

Cpt Syrinx
Jovian Labs
Jovian Enterprises
#10 - 2011-11-10 23:41:12 UTC
Dirk Magnum wrote:
How a decent idea got mixed in with ideas about a PvE server and arena combat I don't know. Cry Maybe it's the stopped clock principle.

It really is not a decent idea. More like beating a pile of bone dust that once originated in the skeleton of a horse. While our clientside presentation of things looks nice and smooth, the server operates in seriously slower ticks. The frequency of twitch controls would just result in a jumble of back-and-forth disagreements between client and server. EVE just isnt wired that way.
erfta
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2011-11-10 23:50:51 UTC
this is what you after or this

i will stay here

no one reads the TOS not even the guy that writes it. this is sig worthy http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/09/mortal-online-plagiarizes-eve-onlines-terms-of-service/1#c35015206

HELIC0N ONE
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2011-11-11 00:17:50 UTC
3/10
seany1212
M Y S T
#13 - 2011-11-11 00:20:42 UTC
oh its THIS thread again, +1 for the dislike button option, get that feature moving people Lol
General Windypops
Skullduggery Inc.
#14 - 2011-11-11 00:22:23 UTC
I'm not sure I understand some of the attacks in this thread. I think we all love this game and love the fact that it's the best space based MMO of all. But adding the extra dimension of joystick control would surely help add engagement to the way we all feel about this game.

It's a slow burn game, and we all like that, but it would add a real sense of adrenaline to the game, particularly for small ship pilots. The only other thing I think might help boost excitement levels for frig / cruiser pilots is some sort of bonus for ship kills. Perhaps some sort of skill speed boost for an hour after every PVP kill?

[img]http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1305/hoff_sig.gif[/img]

Cozmik R5
Chez Stan
#15 - 2011-11-11 00:22:47 UTC
Two words: Mechwarrior Online

Twisted

Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

MeestaPenni
Mercantile and Stuff
#16 - 2011-11-11 00:25:17 UTC
Not just "no"...

But an EvE....NO.

I am not Prencleeve Grothsmore.

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#17 - 2011-11-11 00:25:53 UTC
... Go Back to Star Treck Online.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#18 - 2011-11-11 00:29:13 UTC
General Windypops wrote:
I'm not sure I understand some of the attacks in this thread. I think we all love this game and love the fact that it's the best space based MMO of all. But adding the extra dimension of joystick control would surely help add engagement to the way we all feel about this game.

It's a slow burn game, and we all like that, but it would add a real sense of adrenaline to the game, particularly for small ship pilots. The only other thing I think might help boost excitement levels for frig / cruiser pilots is some sort of bonus for ship kills. Perhaps some sort of skill speed boost for an hour after every PVP kill?

Joystick controls would only add rage and hassles... wait, add them NOW!!!

Serious though. Play a flightsim with either a joystick or mouse, and get the fps down to 1. That would be EVE's controlability.
Marie Hartinez
Aries Munitions and Defense
#19 - 2011-11-11 01:19:40 UTC
General Windypops wrote:
Hi

I quite like playing Eve online but I can't help thinking that the following would make it a far better game

1. joystick 'twitch' style controls - the ability to control your ship using a joystick or xbox style controller to move your ship around
2. A 'quick match' option where you can enter a battledrome style arena for quick battles against people

I hope CCP will consider these as it would really make the game much more popular. Thanks

Windy

1. No and it will never happen
2. It's called Low or Null Sec
3. SISI provides this
4. You owe money 100 USD for the brain cells you killed in making me read this and reply
5. CCP has considered this and have obviously decided it was a silly idea

Surrender is still your slightly less painful option.

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
#20 - 2011-11-11 01:21:06 UTC
Quick somone invent me a time machine and arm me with this clones' original mother location and a coat hanger Ill fix this.

Dust 514's CPM 1 Iron Wolf Saber Eve mail me about Dust 514 issues.

12Next page