These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Upgrading Local to Eliminate All AFK Influence

First post
Author
Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#221 - 2013-07-31 00:00:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Sergeant Acht Scultz
Dude doesn't matter how much you believe you're smarter than everyone else around, will never happen, make yourself a reason and move on to wh or another game.

Don't like cloak? deal with it
Don't like local? deal with it

Let me spell it again for you since you don't seem to understand:

N
O
T

Ready

To

Ever

H
A
P
P
E
N
!

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#222 - 2013-07-31 01:05:16 UTC
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:
Dude doesn't matter how much you believe you're smarter than everyone else around, will never happen, make yourself a reason and move on to wh or another game.

Don't like cloak? deal with it
Don't like local? deal with it

Let me spell it again for you since you don't seem to understand:

N
O
T

Ready

To

Ever

H
A
P
P
E
N
!

You just won, congratulations.
Disiri Skai
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#223 - 2013-07-31 04:16:50 UTC
This thread is stupid, local will never be changed as long as cynos exist.

What's to stop a big alliance from loging off bombers in your space with covert cynos and logging off until after dt and being te first to log in? Most people will never know there hiding in your space. Almost all content in 0.0 that makes isk does not need to be scanned down and they will be on you lighting a cyno and you'll be dead before anyone can even warp to you. 0.0 doesn't make significantly enough isk from high sec to warrant that risk.

Also before you say rat in groups...grouping to rat nerfs the isk/hour to bellow lvl4 missioning so why would anyone want to group up in danger instead of missioning?
KatanTharkay
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#224 - 2013-07-31 09:29:46 UTC
nice :D
Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#225 - 2013-07-31 12:16:01 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Nyancat Audeles wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Oh, I see.

Your argument is you are not forced to PLAY.

My apologies, the idea behind this thread is for those of us who DO want to play.

FFS just go to a wormhole and stop whining.

Poor kitten, you are comparing apples to oranges with suggestions like that.

How about we reduce local to being just a chat channel?

I get that worm holes do not have local.
The argument that those wanting to remove local should move into a wh, falls flat due to the other differences between the two play areas.

That is exactly what local in a Wormhole is... A chat channel. If you chat, you pop up in local. If you don't chat, you do not pop up.
Onomerous
Caldari Black Hand
Caldari Tactical Operations Command
#226 - 2013-07-31 12:37:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Onomerous
Disiri Skai wrote:

What's to stop a big alliance from loging off bombers in your space with covert cynos and logging off until after dt and being te first to log in? Most people will never know there hiding in your space. Almost all content in 0.0 that makes isk does not need to be scanned down and they will be on you lighting a cyno and you'll be dead before anyone can even warp to you. 0.0 doesn't make significantly enough isk from high sec to warrant that risk.

Also before you say rat in groups...grouping to rat nerfs the isk/hour to bellow lvl4 missioning so why would anyone want to group up in danger instead of missioning?

Getting closer to the real problem (if there really is one) with AFK cloaking. If you see the EVE mechanism which is the focal point of this post then you will begin to see the real issue (if there really is one).
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#227 - 2013-07-31 13:08:36 UTC
Disiri Skai wrote:

If you are unwilling to make any efforts towards your own defense, you don't belong in null, period.

If you are willing, then as I repeatedly point out, this idea goes hand in hand with another that explicitly describes how to hunt and locate cloaked vessels.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2668453#post2668453

Your answer is to look and see if someone is hiding in your system, rather than blindly hope it is safe.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#228 - 2013-07-31 13:10:29 UTC
Nyancat Audeles wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Nyancat Audeles wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Oh, I see.

Your argument is you are not forced to PLAY.

My apologies, the idea behind this thread is for those of us who DO want to play.

FFS just go to a wormhole and stop whining.

Poor kitten, you are comparing apples to oranges with suggestions like that.

How about we reduce local to being just a chat channel?

I get that worm holes do not have local.
The argument that those wanting to remove local should move into a wh, falls flat due to the other differences between the two play areas.

That is exactly what local in a Wormhole is... A chat channel. If you chat, you pop up in local. If you don't chat, you do not pop up.

Agreed, it is just a chat channel there.

I even leave some of it's intel properties intact here in this idea

This does not make wormhole living the solution to local, as already pointed out, however.
Shade Alidiana
PROSPERO Corporation
#229 - 2013-07-31 14:35:21 UTC
Would be nice if it becomes closer to WH local chats. Like this way too, though
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#230 - 2013-07-31 14:39:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Your answer is to look and see if someone is hiding in your system, rather than blindly hope it is safe.

But, but... that requires actual *work*. ;)
Still love your idea. What about killing dscan for cloaked ships? (force them to uncloak to use it)

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Liam Inkuras
Furnace
#231 - 2013-07-31 18:34:47 UTC
Ok, just to clarify because I'm a tad bit confused and didn't find an answer after 12 pages.

Are you suggesting that cloaked/docked/pos'd players in a system do not appear in the local player list, but also do not have access to the local list?

If so, then you have my 100% support Big smile

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#232 - 2013-07-31 18:41:24 UTC
Liam Inkuras wrote:
Ok, just to clarify because I'm a tad bit confused and didn't find an answer after 12 pages.

Are you suggesting that cloaked/docked/pos'd players in a system do not appear in the local player list, but also do not have access to the local list?

Yes and your D-Scan does not work when you're in warp then instead of 12 AU range you'll only get 2 AU D-Scan range, alos you'll have to fuel your ship to enter warp if it's longer than 1.5 AU.

Since it's about stupid ideas I can also come with a few ones.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Liam Inkuras
Furnace
#233 - 2013-07-31 19:00:55 UTC
I sense that your serious answer turned into a troll...

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

Infinite Force
#234 - 2013-07-31 19:38:26 UTC
All I can support with any of this is turning Nullsec local into another chat channel -- think WH local.

Null / WH local - chat channel (you're not there unless you announce yourself)
Low - delayed local or no change (I don't have a strong opinion here)
High - no change

It's impossible for you to really know if that person is truely "afk" (gone to the grocery store and not just taking a quick bio). It's a game mechanic that some people have taken advantage of - just like, oh, freighter bumping.

If you can't deal with no local - until you announce your presence there (again, think WH local) - then go back to high-sec or find a different game.

Nullbears need to suck it up and deal with it. The WH people do - and not only have they "dealt with it" - they actually like it!!!

You want to rat / mine / whatever ... Then get a fleet together that can provide security for you - this is an MMO afterall.

HROLT CEO Live Free; Die Proud

http://tinyurl.com/95zmyzw - The only way to go!

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#235 - 2013-07-31 19:48:22 UTC
Liam Inkuras wrote:

Precisely correct.
SGT FUNYOUN
Elysian Space Navy - 1st Fleet
#236 - 2013-07-31 23:57:59 UTC
AFK Cloaking...

... equals AWAY from keyboard and cloaked.

Means he can't do anything until he goes un-AFK and uncloaked.

This is also called haunting.

When a scout haunts a system...

... he is scouting.

Leave cloaks alone, and leave local alone.

The ENTIRE point of cloaks is to keep the enemy guessing.

Leave it alone.

NO ONE wants to nerf cloaks.

Stop whining and play better.
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#237 - 2013-08-01 00:07:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Aihaken
SGT FUNYOUN wrote:

Uh yeah, a lot of folks do. But this isn't really nerf'ing it.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#238 - 2013-08-01 01:43:42 UTC
SGT FUNYOUN wrote:
AFK Cloaking...

... equals AWAY from keyboard and cloaked.

Means he can't do anything until he goes un-AFK and uncloaked.

This is also called haunting.

When a scout haunts a system...

... he is scouting.

Leave cloaks alone, and leave local alone.

The ENTIRE point of cloaks is to keep the enemy guessing.

Leave it alone.

Stop whining and play better.

I missed the part where cloaked ships not being displayed in local could be considered a nerf, but thanks for the bump!

Big smile
Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#239 - 2013-08-01 06:12:37 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
I missed the part where cloaked ships not being displayed in local could be considered a nerf, but thanks for the bump! Big smile

Aw, just kill local already. People have obviously become too dependent on it...

Cade
Underworlds
#240 - 2013-08-01 06:20:22 UTC
WH locals, they work, nothing wrong with them...

same would work really in everywhere and there is no issues?
if you want to show up, then just spam your scams like never nothing changed = jita save
if you want to surprise, go ahead, no1 never knows what happened, and you have more effort to bang some1
this would also improve usage of dscan and other gamemechanics wich are more "realistic" than just showing up in "local" wich is imo from RP view channel where ships/stations broadcast messages and then your ID is revealed when you do so.

Also from other point of view, this is more realistic way, there is custom channels where you can showup if you like.

RP JITA BANG MINER SAVE ?!