These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Bring back the Rifter

First post
Author
Randy Wray
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-07-30 21:12:29 UTC
The Rifter was my first pvp ship. I read wensley's rifter drifter guide and went out to lose some rifters and had a blast. It saddens me to see this beloved ship to be in such poor shape in todays meta. CCP buffed all the other frigates to the skies and left the Rifter behind. I think CCP should take another look at it and make it more diverse from the slasher.

There's some confusion around how strong the rifter was before the frigate rebalancing. I flew the rifter for 2 years prior to the rebalancing and I was beat by plenty of the other tier 3 frigates.
The Merlin was very strong back then already, I lost plenty of rifters to merlins and yet CCP chose to buff it even further. Kestrels were extremely strong in the pre-rebalancing frigate meta since most of the pvp able frigates were turret based and the kestrel could kite these with a dualweb rocket setup very efficiently. The Punisher was very much the same back then as it is now and the inqusitor was a missile frigate extremely underused minding how powerfull it could be in the hands of a good pilot. I met a brawling inquisitor once during my 2 years of flying rifters and it was one of the closest fights I've ever had.

My point here is, just because the rifter was the one that was the most commonly used tech 1 frigates didn't mean it was OP and since it wasn't really OP there was no reason for it to be left behind so badly in the frigate rebalance.

If you look at the rifter today in the t1 frigate meta it's pretty much crap at everything, it's like the old ferox - it can do alot of things but does none of them good. It doesn't have the speed of an attack frigate, it doesnt have the tank of a combat frigate and it doesn't have much gank to speak of either. What used to make the rifter strong was it's ability to project damage further than blaster boats while being able to make a decent tank at the same time as having a decent range control. Right now it has worse projection than blaster frigs loading null even if you load barrage(you have to get outside scram range for autocannons to win the projection game). For new minmatar players skilling into projectiles the slasher is the superior choice in every matter. It has higher speed, similar tank,the same dps if the rifter doesnt fit a rocket launcher which makes little difference anyway, a role bonus that makes it easier on cap, a better slot layout and a smaller signature radius.

The only competetive fit I've come up with for the rifter lately is 280mm artillery. This fit however needs very high SP to work as it plays on the fact that the rifter has higher base powergrid than the slasher and is able to run a microwarpdrive and warp disruptor without cap problems(assuming you have max capacitor skills). I've got a buddey that fits light neutron blasters on a rifter and sadly it works better than autocannons.

TLDR
For a solution I propose the following:

1, Change the skill bonuses from damage and tracking to damage and rate of fire to follow a common minmatar trend or damage and fallof to establish it's role as an attack ship and make it differ from the slasher.
2. Change its slot layout - remove the useless utility high(if you like the utility high I advice you fly a slasher instead, it makes better use of it - dat capstable neut) and replace it with a low or medium slot.
3. Increase its base speed to 375 m/s (this is important)

Solo Pvper in all areas of space including wormhole space. Check out my youtube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd6M3xV43Af-3E1ds0tTyew/feed for mostly small scale pvp in lowsec/nullsec

twitch.tv/randywray

ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-07-30 21:56:56 UTC
I say we first give the crusader an extra medslot. For reasons.

Dodixie > Hek

Ellendras Silver
CrashCat Corporation
#3 - 2013-07-30 22:09:36 UTC
there was a reason that the rifter was so popular
there was a reason they buffed all frigates accept the rifter

[u]Carpe noctem[/u]

Whitehound
#4 - 2013-07-30 22:31:44 UTC
Randy Wray wrote:
... My point here is, just because the rifter was the one that was the most commonly used tech 1 frigates didn't mean it was OP and since it wasn't really OP there was no reason for it to be left behind so badly in the frigate rebalance. ...

I do not think CCP does actually care if a ship is OP, but instead care for the variety of ships. A ship being OP can be a reason why it is flown more often than other ships, but it could also have other reasons. When a ship is being flown too often will it affect the overall balance of the game. In other words, when in a game of rock-paper-scissors someone always calls rock will it get boring very quickly.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#5 - 2013-07-30 22:34:16 UTC
Ellendras Silver wrote:
there was a reason that the rifter was so popular (it was the only useable frigate for a long time)
there was a reason they buffed all frigates accept the rifter (however there wasn't a reason that the others were overbufffed in comparison)
there is a reason no one uses the rifter anymore

Fixed

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

Ellendras Silver
CrashCat Corporation
#6 - 2013-07-30 22:47:22 UTC
Drake Doe wrote:
Ellendras Silver wrote:
there was a reason that the rifter was so popular (it was the only useable frigate for a long time)
there was a reason they buffed all frigates accept the rifter (however there wasn't a reason that the others were overbufffed in comparison)

Fixed

rifters are no longer used i have a hard time believing that

[u]Carpe noctem[/u]

Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#7 - 2013-07-30 22:54:41 UTC
However, I disagree with changing it's base speed, at least to that extent. I think it should definitely gain another low slot to make it a bit like a mini cane/rupture. While this may be unnecessary, I think it's a bit tight on cpu, but then again I believe so for a lot of frigates.

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#8 - 2013-07-30 22:57:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Drake Doe
Ellendras Silver wrote:
Drake Doe wrote:
Ellendras Silver wrote:

Fixed

rifters are no longer used i have a hard time believing that

While I did exaggerate slightly, anything a rifter can do, a slasher can do better, of course besides armor tanking. Also, compare it to the frigates it's classed with. Look at the incursus, good dps, tank and good application. The tristan, great dps and unparalleled damage projection for a frigate. The merlin, great tank and good dps. The kestrel, an excellent long range frigate and rocket user. The punisher, a decent dps frigate with a great tank. The tormentor, a punisher that loses a bit of tank for dps. Last (and probably least without asbs) the breacher, a higher dps (depending on drone skills) kestrel that loses a bit of range and rocket/missile dps for a much better tank.

Milton Middleson
Rifterlings
#9 - 2013-07-30 23:09:03 UTC
Drake Doe wrote:

While I did exaggerate slightly, anything a rifter can do, a slasher can do better, of course besides armor tanking.

Except, of course, that the armor Slasher gets the magic ab-scram-web-TD combo, so for most purposes it's better at that as well. And pretty much anywhere the Rifter does outdo the Slasher, they're both outdone by another frigate.
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#10 - 2013-07-30 23:16:16 UTC
Randy Wray wrote:

TLDR

1, Change the skill bonuses from damage and tracking to damage and rate of fire to follow a common minmatar trend or damage and fallof to establish it's role as an attack ship and make it differ from the slasher.
2. Change its slot layout - remove the useless utility high(if you like the utility high I advice you fly a slasher instead, it makes better use of it - dat capstable neut) and replace it with a low or medium slot.

1.) Tracking is a major boon to the rifter. You may not realize it, but it is majorly important of applying damage to drones and frigates when you are orbiting, and will generally help you much more than a double damage bonus. The Rifter is still pretty much equivalent to the Punisher in terms of firepower, but the merlin seems to light years ahead in terms of dps and tank (50% more on both). Believe it or not, if you scram/web a merlin, orbit at 500 with your ab overheated, you'll mitigate a ton of the merlin's dps (cause it doesn't have a tracking bonus), and allow you to win the fight.

2.) Useless high? One of the HUGE strengths of the rifter comes from fitting a NOS in that "useless high". This allowed it to defy neut pressure, keep it's SAR running, and hit above its weight class. Alternatively, a neut was brutal against active tanked ships when shield gank fit. In general, a rocket launcher is a TERRIBLE use of that high, only slightly better than leaving it empty. It is that utility high with the 3 guns, 3 mids, 3 lows that made it so incredibly useful and versatile!

3.) Increasing the rifter's speed may help flush out it's old place. It still is pretty fast for a combat frig though, and I'm not sure this is necessary.

Overall, I would leave it mostly as is, but simply replace the 5% damage bonus to a 5% R.O.F. bonus (+8.33% dps).
Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#11 - 2013-07-30 23:17:01 UTC
Milton Middleson wrote:
Drake Doe wrote:

While I did exaggerate slightly, anything a rifter can do, a slasher can do better, of course besides armor tanking.

Except, of course, that the armor Slasher gets the magic ab-scram-web-TD combo, so for most purposes it's better at that as well. And pretty much anywhere the Rifter does outdo the Slasher, they're both outdone by another frigate.

Agreed. (The opinions of both the punisher and incursus: oh that is such an adorable armor tank, so cute! If you keep eating your vegetables, one day you'll grow big and strong like us.

Randy Wray
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2013-07-31 08:16:35 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Randy Wray wrote:

TLDR

1.) Tracking is a major boon to the rifter. You may not realize it, but it is majorly important of applying damage to drones and frigates when you are orbiting, and will generally help you much more than a double damage bonus. The Rifter is still pretty much equivalent to the Punisher in terms of firepower, but the merlin seems to light years ahead in terms of dps and tank (50% more on both). Believe it or not, if you scram/web a merlin, orbit at 500 with your ab overheated, you'll mitigate a ton of the merlin's dps (cause it doesn't have a tracking bonus), and allow you to win the fight.

2.) Useless high? One of the HUGE strengths of the rifter comes from fitting a NOS in that "useless high". This allowed it to defy neut pressure, keep it's SAR running, and hit above its weight class. Alternatively, a neut was brutal against active tanked ships when shield gank fit. In general, a rocket launcher is a TERRIBLE use of that high, only slightly better than leaving it empty. It is that utility high with the 3 guns, 3 mids, 3 lows that made it so incredibly useful and versatile!

3.) Increasing the rifter's speed may help flush out it's old place. It still is pretty fast for a combat frig though, and I'm not sure this is necessary.

Overall, I would leave it mostly as is, but simply replace the 5% damage bonus to a 5% R.O.F. bonus (+8.33% dps).
1. Slasher does the same thing but better.
2. Slasher does the same thing but better.
3. Rifter getting a speed buff was mostly due to my idea to change its bonuses which will make it into more of a midrange ship than an orbit 500 brawler.

Solo Pvper in all areas of space including wormhole space. Check out my youtube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd6M3xV43Af-3E1ds0tTyew/feed for mostly small scale pvp in lowsec/nullsec

twitch.tv/randywray

Tobias Hareka
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-07-31 08:46:36 UTC
Rifter isn't iWin button vs other frigates anymore so it needs a buff. Roll

I don't see why it should be better than any other frigate.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#14 - 2013-07-31 08:50:57 UTC
I'm bringin' Rifter back
Those other frigates
Don't know how to act
Milton Middleson
Rifterlings
#15 - 2013-07-31 10:01:42 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

This is mildly disingenuous. The tracking bonus is hardly nothing, but orbiting at 500 will still impact your own dps quite substantially as well. Secondly, the Rifter is faster than its counterparts, but it isn't that fast. Against a non-stationary enemy, maintaining an orbit anywhere close to tight to enough to break the tracking on small blasters requires a ship that is both substantially faster than your opponent and quite agile (hey, look at that - the slasher is faster and more agile than a rifter). Plus, a decent pilot could pulse overheat on their afterburner while flying in a straight line to drag you out behind them, at which point your angular velocity will not be enough to usefully mitigate damage.
HiddenPorpoise
Jarlhettur's Drop
United Federation of Conifers
#16 - 2013-07-31 10:24:42 UTC  |  Edited by: HiddenPorpoise
Drake Doe wrote:
oh that is such an adorable armor tank, so cute! If you keep eating your vegetables, one day you'll grow big and strong like us.
The incursus can perma tank 150dps so I don't know what you're on about.

Rifter isn't a bad ship it just is predictable so people don't feel fancy fitting it.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#17 - 2013-07-31 12:13:04 UTC
Tobias Hareka wrote:
Rifter isn't iWin button vs other frigates anymore so it needs a buff. Roll

I don't see why it should be better than any other frigate.

It shouldn't be an I win button but at the moment it's an I lose button.

It was too strong. It is now too weak.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Randy Wray
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2013-07-31 12:14:33 UTC
HiddenPorpoise wrote:
Drake Doe wrote:
oh that is such an adorable armor tank, so cute! If you keep eating your vegetables, one day you'll grow big and strong like us.
The incursus can perma tank 150dps so I don't know what you're on about.

Rifter isn't a bad ship it just is predictable so people don't feel fancy fitting it.

I think you should read through the thread properly before you post awell.

twitch.tv/randywray

Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#19 - 2013-07-31 17:39:15 UTC
Switch Damage Bonus to Rate of Fire and Tracking Bonus to Falloff, maybe paired with a slightly better base speed, and it should be viable again and not on the ever-receiving end but somewhere mixed in.

Also, Slasher is *not* the new Minmatar Working Horse on Frigscale, it's the breacher. I think the only frigate that's stronger than the breacher is the Tristan (unless you include faction frigs)
God's Apples
Wilderness
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
#20 - 2013-08-02 15:05:06 UTC
Pretty much what whitehound said. They change ships based on their usage within the player base not actual power. This is the reason the cane was nerfed even though it was a much worse brawler than many BCs and a way worse kiter than the tier 3s. It is also the reason that although the sacrilege is probably one of the best HAC's right now it's receiving the largest buff (or at least change) because it is one of the least used whereas the zealot isn't the greatest ship and is over shadowed by the omen navy, but is the most used so they aren't changing it aside from a few minor tweaks to stats.

Before the t1 frigate buff I'd say the merlin was more powerful than the rifter, but the rifter was way way way more common. Now you see all the frigates used and the rifter is still favored by many so there is variety and therefore CCP has done their job.

"Hydra Reloaded are just jealous / butthurt on me / us because we can get tons of PVP action in empire while they aren't good enough to get that." - NightmareX

123Next pageLast page