These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Tidi is gamebreaking for the smaller side

First post First post
Author
Kitty Baugh
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#121 - 2013-07-31 05:03:32 UTC
Kitty Baugh wrote:
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:
Kitty Baugh wrote:

Time dilation is gamebreaking for the smaller side, simply because it gives the bigger side 10x the time to ping and get people online.


Umm CFC lost a titan the other day and TiDi worked against them, slowing their logging, forming and reacting so, no, not really.

And the failed titan gank was more to do with the fact it was in a staging system, allowing quick response time for the rescuers.

Stop talking about last nights failed titan gank please
my original post was an example of how Tidi works against smaller forces

Aparrantly a lot of people fail at reading.
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#122 - 2013-07-31 05:06:30 UTC
Back before TiDi, everything I heard about nullsec made me think that many alliances had a standard operating procedure of: "If the node is running fine, we didn't bring enough ships". Every time CCP did something to improve performance, it worked for a short while. Then fleet numbers increased until problems happened again.

I spent my time in faction warfare. Lowsec had, and still has, a reputation for running on the worst hardware CCP has. Even worse, without reinforcement timers, there was no way to predict which system a large battle would happen in. Battles with less than 100 pilots in them would cause problems regularly. The winner in a fleet engagement was usually determined by who got hit worst by the node failing.

My first taste of FCing happened when the experienced FC realized that his overview was full of enemies that were no longer present. He decided that a completely inexperienced FC (me) was a better choice because, while I had no clue what I was doing, I still knew which enemies were still there to shoot at.

Sure, TiDi has its problems. But it is much better than the only alternative: The server tries to run at full speed and fails.

Alavaria Fera wrote:
No, because EVE doesn't use parallel processing, you can't have multiple servers running the same thing. During 6VDT, the Jita node was not doing anything but running 6VDT, and that's the best hardware they have.

It seems a bit odd that CCP only has one Jita quality node.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#123 - 2013-07-31 05:13:11 UTC
Tidi works against the larger side too.

- Their titan gets tackled
- Pings go out
- They all start undocking from the same station causing 10% tidi in their system but not in the system where the titan is being killed
- Titan is killed before anyone is able to load grid after undocking, much less join fleet and travel to where it is and save it.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
The Initiative.
#124 - 2013-07-31 05:55:04 UTC
Kitty Baugh wrote:
That's right, I said it.
I'll keep it pretty short:

Time dilation is gamebreaking for the smaller side, simply because it gives the bigger side 10x the time to ping and get people online.

Example:
-Fleet of 250 bumps titan out of POS
-Begins killing Titan, gets it to half armour before 100 of the enemy undock and warp to them
-System gets tidi'd to ****
-Before the fleet of 250 can finish killing the titan (Enemy fleet has no serious RR), Tidi goes to insane amounts
-Before the enemy titan or enemy fleet can even be further dented because of how slow it is, enemy sends a ping out and gets hundreds more people online
-More Tidi allows more people to get online
-The people who are much smaller, but would've gotten a monumental victory then lose because Tidi gave their opponents much more time to get online, get organized and get into the fight

Inb4hisecpropvpersjumponthisthread


Solution:
Kill Titan with 45 dudes - no TiDi

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Apocryphal Noise
The Harpooner's Rest
#125 - 2013-07-31 06:53:43 UTC
Hesod Adee wrote:
It seems a bit odd that CCP only has one Jita quality node.


Not really, it's a multi-million dollar piece of equipment and CCP doesn't have a whole lot of money to throw around.
Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#126 - 2013-07-31 07:02:53 UTC
Apocryphal Noise wrote:
Hesod Adee wrote:
It seems a bit odd that CCP only has one Jita quality node.

Not really, it's a multi-million dollar piece of equipment and CCP doesn't have a whole lot of money to throw around.

We'll just have to borrow it everytime nullsec has a major fight.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Apocryphal Noise
The Harpooner's Rest
#127 - 2013-07-31 07:11:34 UTC
Put it this way, until they rewrite every line of code in something other than python, there's going to be lag.
Arduemont
The State of War.
#128 - 2013-07-31 07:21:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
Kitty Baugh wrote:

>Implying that there isnt already massive amounts of lag in large fleet battles *COUGH*6VDT*COUGH*
pls.

Because it's disgusting that CCP should have any lag in the largest MMO battle to ever occur in the history of time. Amirite?!

Apocryphal Noise wrote:
Hesod Adee wrote:
It seems a bit odd that CCP only has one Jita quality node.

Not really, it's a multi-million dollar piece of equipment and CCP doesn't have a whole lot of money to throw around.


It is literally the most powerful single server networking room in the games industry. And they want it to be better. Snap snap.

It's like saying, the fastest man in the world is too slow. How dare he gets so long times on his 100m sprint. He should be doing it in half that time! Derf.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#129 - 2013-07-31 07:44:03 UTC
Apocryphal Noise wrote:
Put it this way, until they rewrite every line of code in something other than python, there's going to be lag.

It doesn't matter what language it's written in. You could write the whole thing in assembly, it'll still lag.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#130 - 2013-07-31 07:47:53 UTC
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
Not sure if you're aware, but little in EVE favors the smaller side.




And We'll get kicked too the side when off grid boosting goes away.... At the Moment our Only defense against a Bigger Fleet Straight

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#131 - 2013-07-31 07:52:46 UTC
Alice Saki wrote:
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
Not sure if you're aware, but little in EVE favors the smaller side.




And We'll get kicked too the side when off grid boosting goes away.... At the Moment our Only defense against a Bigger Fleet Straight

How is off grid boosting an advantage to the little guys when the big fleets can also use it ?
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#132 - 2013-07-31 07:57:19 UTC
Apocryphal Noise wrote:
Put it this way, until they rewrite every line of code in something other than python magical space pixie code, there's going to be lag.


FYP

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#133 - 2013-07-31 08:16:07 UTC
Why can't you people think things through before you impulsively create threads that make you look like dumb people? :(
Sarah McKnobbo
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#134 - 2013-07-31 08:30:53 UTC
Kitty Baugh wrote:
Kitty Baugh wrote:
Sarah McKnobbo wrote:
Kitty Baugh wrote:

Time dilation is gamebreaking for the smaller side, simply because it gives the bigger side 10x the time to ping and get people online.


Umm CFC lost a titan the other day and TiDi worked against them, slowing their logging, forming and reacting so, no, not really.

And the failed titan gank was more to do with the fact it was in a staging system, allowing quick response time for the rescuers.

Stop talking about last nights failed titan gank please
my original post was an example of how Tidi works against smaller forces

Aparrantly a lot of people fail at reading.


Huh?
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#135 - 2013-07-31 09:44:21 UTC
Kitty Baugh wrote:
That's right, I said it.
I'll keep it pretty short:

Time dilation is gamebreaking for the smaller side, simply because it gives the bigger side 10x the time to ping and get people online.

Example:
-Fleet of 250 bumps titan out of POS
-Begins killing Titan, gets it to half armour before 100 of the enemy undock and warp to them
-System gets tidi'd to ****
-Before the fleet of 250 can finish killing the titan (Enemy fleet has no serious RR), Tidi goes to insane amounts
-Before the enemy titan or enemy fleet can even be further dented because of how slow it is, enemy sends a ping out and gets hundreds more people online
-More Tidi allows more people to get online
-The people who are much smaller, but would've gotten a monumental victory then lose because Tidi gave their opponents much more time to get online, get organized and get into the fight

Inb4hisecpropvpersjumponthisthread


What you're complaining about isn't TiDi but server overloading (colloquially known as "lag")

TiDi is a way of managing and mitgating the effects of that overloading. It gives no particular advantage to larger or smaller sides. Complaining that TiDi causes the problems you refer to is like complaining that it always seems to be raining when you stand under an umbrella.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#136 - 2013-07-31 09:56:58 UTC
Alice Saki wrote:
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
Not sure if you're aware, but little in EVE favors the smaller side.




And We'll get kicked too the side when off grid boosting goes away.... At the Moment our Only defense against a Bigger Fleet Straight


Because big fleets dont also use off grid boostersRoll
The Spod
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#137 - 2013-07-31 10:27:50 UTC
OP: "TiDi makes fights bigger by allowing more time to ping up."

Sounds pretty good :)
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#138 - 2013-07-31 10:33:53 UTC
Kitty Baugh wrote:

-Before the enemy titan or enemy fleet can even be further dented because of how slow it is, enemy sends a ping out and gets hundreds more people online
-More Tidi allows more people to get online

me personally would not get online to rescue some stupid titan. Would you?

Kitty Baugh wrote:

-The people who are much smaller, but would've gotten a monumental victory then lose because Tidi gave their opponents much more time to get online, get organized and get into the fight

monumental victory = having spy (who allowed enemies into the POS shield), having stupid titan pilot (who didn't logoff of jump in time), having lazy and/or stupid enemies (who cannot defend their titan)?

I thought "monumental victory" has slightly different meaning Shocked

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Medarr
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#139 - 2013-07-31 10:43:47 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Apocryphal Noise wrote:
Put it this way, until they rewrite every line of code in something other than python, there's going to be lag.

It doesn't matter what language it's written in. You could write the whole thing in assembly, it'll still lag.


Uhm... No. Due to python they can only run one system on a CPU if you can run one system on _All_ CPUs it would have plenty of power.
Trin Javidan
Caymen Labs
#140 - 2013-07-31 10:51:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Trin Javidan
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Trin Javidan wrote:
This is why giving giving unlimeted amounts of isk to the biggest coalitions has been a bad thing, in the end of the day eve is still a numbers and isk game, have both and you win.... rinse and repeat... ruining the politic's landscape and thus the fun for years to come.... CCP you had been warned.


Yeah, because BoB wasn't totally defeated by an upstart coalition with more guts than them, and almost no other advantage... (despite the wide rumor that BoB had devhaxx)


Loook mummy!! A dumm monkey responding who doesnt know were hes talking about... hahaha (me & mommy laughs)

Before you say something,... make sure you know where you talk about...


I guess CCP favours jung kiddies with daddies creditcards than older mature more loyal players. Cant really blame them $$$-wise.