These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Hi new pilot looking for advice on solo/small gang pvp

Author
Terry Qon
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-07-30 15:39:26 UTC
Hi I'm new to Eve. And I want to get into solo or small gang pvp. I'm not into huge fleets or mission running. I am interested in wormholes as well, so I am currently in a very good wormhole corp, currently training to fly a buzzard so I can be helpful to them. But I can get all the help about wormholes as I need at my corp.

As for solo/small gang pvp I have no idea where to start.

I want to be able to fly cheap (disposable?) frigates, I prefer not to get (get everything level 5) advice. I'm not trying to hunt down experienced pirates or battleships. All i want to do is kill other people's ships, even if they are complete noob or I get nothing from it. That's just what I want to do. I want to be able to fly in low sec/nullsec asap in cheap frigates. I got months before I can ACTUALLY become useful to my wormhole corp besides flying a simple scanning boat, so this is what I want to do meanwhile.

1) If anyone can tell me what skills I should be training to fit a frigate for solo pvp, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2) Also what ships should I be flying? How much are fitted frigates capable of killing other ships, like cruisers etc. 10-50mil isk per ship?

3) I prefer to fly caldari ships, could anyone make me a decent fit for a frigate for solo pvp?

4) And this might be a big broad, but strategys on flying small frigates when fighting bigger ships, How to kite, etc

Thanks~
Thanatos Marathon
Moira.
#2 - 2013-07-30 15:52:21 UTC
He doth ask to much.

Disposable frigate costs depend on your isk stream. Most people who fly "disposable" keep them under 2.5mil, others toss away 50 mil isk ships like trash.

As far as skills, use the cert planner and get all your basic core certs, then figure out what ship you want to fly (perhaps a merlin for T1 if you want guns, or the FOTM Condor for missiles) and get the frig level to 4 and T2 weapons then Frig5. After that get acceleration control to 3 and make sure you can fit a web/scram/shield extender/AB/MWD/etc. Then go for Advanced Weapon Upgrades 4. Meh, to each their own, making a skill plan is all about individual needs and desires.

Killing a Cruiser with a low SP char in a T1 frig is tough solo, much easier to take out other frigs or BC/mining barge/etc.
Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#3 - 2013-07-30 15:57:31 UTC
Terry Qon wrote:
*snip*

What I will do is send you an ingame mail (next time I am online later today) with a PvP fit for a Merlin (Frigate), Manticore (Stealth Bomber/Frigate) and Cormorant (Destroyer).

The fits being sent are the ones I use and are pretty good (for me anyway).

Footnote: I know you said Frigates. But I have had a lot of fun in my Cormorant (Destroyer) when it has been blaster fit for max damage! It is exceptionally good against Frigates.

Alternatively if you prefere missiles to hybrids please mail me asap and I will throw in my Kestrel fit and Corax fit.

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

JonnyRandom
#4 - 2013-07-30 18:52:34 UTC
If you don't have good fitting skills (what I assume by the "everything to lvl 5 advice"), it doesn't make a particular fit invalid. Simply sub in any modules that you cannot fit with ones that you can, or ones that require less CPU/PG.

Likewise if you see a good fit with T2 modules, but you can only use T1 modules at the moment, then again, substitute those T2 modules with Meta 4 modules instead.
However do note that Meta 4 modules can sometimes be quite expensive. It's up to you if you want to fork up the isk or use T1 instead.
Fal Shepard
#5 - 2013-07-30 19:09:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Fal Shepard
Disposable all comes down to what you can afford or if you are getting it for free. However if you only drive cheap ships, then it's likely that you will get spaced, especially in null space. I suggest that you fly in a group untill you are confident in your skills and ship. But be warned, some like to hunt pirates who blow things up for no real reason. Pirate's life can be rewaring, but dangerous.

From the ashes of our defeat, we will be reborn. With these chains with which we are bound, we will become indivisible. To those who showed us no mercy, we will give no sympathy. For the flames that burn our cities, we will douse in injustice's blood

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#6 - 2013-07-30 20:28:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Gizznitt Malikite
Terry Qon wrote:
Hi I'm new to Eve. And I want to get into solo or small gang pvp. I'm not into huge fleets or mission running. I am interested in wormholes as well, so I am currently in a very good wormhole corp, currently training to fly a buzzard so I can be helpful to them. But I can get all the help about wormholes as I need at my corp.

As for solo/small gang pvp I have no idea where to start.

I want to be able to fly cheap (disposable?) frigates, I prefer not to get (get everything level 5) advice. I'm not trying to hunt down experienced pirates or battleships. All i want to do is kill other people's ships, even if they are complete noob or I get nothing from it. That's just what I want to do. I want to be able to fly in low sec/nullsec asap in cheap frigates. I got months before I can ACTUALLY become useful to my wormhole corp besides flying a simple scanning boat, so this is what I want to do meanwhile.

1) If anyone can tell me what skills I should be training to fit a frigate for solo pvp, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2) Also what ships should I be flying? How much are fitted frigates capable of killing other ships, like cruisers etc. 10-50mil isk per ship?

3) I prefer to fly caldari ships, could anyone make me a decent fit for a frigate for solo pvp?

4) And this might be a big broad, but strategys on flying small frigates when fighting bigger ships, How to kite, etc

Thanks~

1.) This depends on what frigate you chose to use. Basic fitting skills, weapon skills, and weapon/ship support skills are always good choices to train. You'll also want to train some of the electronic warfare skills (under electronics) so you can fit EWAR to your PvP frigs.

2.) You should fly a ship that fits your desired play style. Do you want to be in your face (blasters/autocannons), to kite (missiles), to annoy the **** out of your opponent (ECM)? A frigate can kill a cruiser easily....once you know how to engage your opponent and do so under the appropriate circumstances. If you don't know how/when to engage, you die in a fire very quickly. Things to learn about: Turret tracking & Damage, missile tracking and damage, and EWAR.

3.) The merlin is a solid in-your-face combat vessel (weapon = blasters). The griffin is a great fleet support vessel (weapon = none really, its an ECM ship that annoys the **** out of people, and is very effective). Kestrel and condor are excellent too, but often flow in a "kiting" fashion (weapon rockets/missiles).

4.) I usually brawl when I take a frigate against a cruiser, battlecruiser, or battleship. Medium and large weapons have significantly more range than small weapons, making kiting much less effective. Additionally, frigate ranged weapons are pretty low damage output. Much like you can negate dps by out-ranging your opponents guns, you can also negate dps by outracing their gun's tracking. Using this principle, I usually engage big ships by orbiting them really, really close. There is a sweet spot next to their ship where you can apply massive dps (for a frig) to them, but they can't hit you. Granted, this only works on turret based ships.

Agony Unleashed has public PvP classes, and our next PvP-Basic class is tentatively August 9th & 10th @ 08:00. If you can attend both those days, email me and I'll scholarship you into the class.
Class signup link
Also, check out our wiki, as it has a lot of information about PvP'ing, especially in frigates.

P.S. Ask around, read about our feedback threads, we have an excellent reputation! (and are on the verge of graduating our 10,000th EvE student this fall).
Terry Qon
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-07-30 23:39:53 UTC
Thanks for the info guys!

I'll don't think I can make it to your public classes, I play on AU time zone, and i don't know exactly what time eve 8:00 is but I'm sure I'll be at work. I appreciate the offer, and if I can make it. I'll msg you asap!

@Seraph Essael, that sounds great man. I am leveling up skills to be able to fly a buzzard so I think I can fly a manticore soon too. Sounds fun. And yes By frigates I just meant small ships. so I would love some destroyer fittings as well. It'll help me alot to get your fittings :)

I think I prefer hybrids. I take it you have to know how to kite if you are flying a missile ship? I think I should learn the basics first by just flying in your face ships like the merlin or cormorant.

Just a couple of questions.

Why do I need both a MWD and a AB, what's the difference? Do I passive tank in most caldari ships?

What does EWAR stand for?

And what do you mean by being annoying with a ECM ship? What do those exactly do? And if I can't end up killing them, wouldn't it eventually be annoying for me as well?

Thanks thanks! o7
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#8 - 2013-07-31 00:22:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Gizznitt Malikite
Terry Qon wrote:
Thanks for the info guys!

I'll don't think I can make it to your public classes, I play on AU time zone, and i don't know exactly what time eve 8:00 is but I'm sure I'll be at work. I appreciate the offer, and if I can make it. I'll msg you asap!

@Seraph Essael, that sounds great man. I am leveling up skills to be able to fly a buzzard so I think I can fly a manticore soon too. Sounds fun. And yes By frigates I just meant small ships. so I would love some destroyer fittings as well. It'll help me alot to get your fittings :)

I think I prefer hybrids. I take it you have to know how to kite if you are flying a missile ship? I think I should learn the basics first by just flying in your face ships like the merlin or cormorant.

Just a couple of questions.

1.) Why do I need both a MWD and a AB, what's the difference? Do I passive tank in most caldari ships?

2.) What does EWAR stand for?

3.) And what do you mean by being annoying with a ECM ship? What do those exactly do? And if I can't end up killing them, wouldn't it eventually be annoying for me as well?

Thanks thanks! o7

Strange, that class is aimed for the AU timezone:
0800 EvE time is 1800 Sydney time (6 pm) on Friday, Aug 9th and Saturday, Aug 10th.

As for your quesitons:

1.) You don't need both an MWD and an AB, and generally speaking most people fit only one of these.
AB = Afterburner. This increases your speed 2-3x it's base speed, and is an outstanding module used for controlling the range between you and your target. If you are using blasters, generally speaking you need to be 500-1,500 m from your target to apply your damage. Range control is important, because an enemy that can keep you at range can essentially mitigate your damage. Note: Range control is only one method to mitigate turret damage. You can orbit a target faster than it's turrets can track you (called tracking speed), you can mitigate all damage just as effectively as being "farther than their guns can shoot". AB's are helpful here, because they increase your speed, allowing you to orbit faster.

MWD = microwarp drive. These modules increase your speed by 6-7.5x your base speed, allowing you to go really fast. They have some penatlies though: a.) They increase your ships signature radius by 500%, making you easier to hit by guns and missiles. b.) They use a large amount of capacitor to run (much more than the ab), as well as reduce your ships total capacitor. c.) An enemy can disable them by putting a "warp scrambler" on you (note, NOT a warp disruptor, only a scrambler).

For a kiter that never intends to get within the limited range of webs/scrams (Generally 10-13 km's for webs and 8-11 km's for scrams), the MWD insures they have complete range control. However, with a brawler (which generally has scram + web) and fights within 10 km's of the enemy, the ab is prefered because it can't be disabled by the enemy.

2.) EWAR == Electronic Warfare. These refer to:
  • Stasis Webifiers: Short ranged modules (10-13 kms) that slow down a target to about 40% of their speed.
  • Warp Disruptors: These are long range modules that prevent a ship from warping. Range 20-28 km's.
  • Warp Scramblers: These are short range modules that prevent a ship from warping, and shut off their MWDs. Range 8-12 km's.
  • Tracking Disruptors: These are long range modules that ruin a turret ability to hit a target. Can be configured to reduce a turrets range by 40-60%, can be configured to reduce a turrets tracking speed by 40-60%, or configured to do both simultaneously, but at half effectiveness.
  • Target Painters: These are long range modules that increase a target's signature radius, potentially making them take more damage from turrets and missiles.
  • Remote Sensor Dampeners: These are long range modules that ruin a target's ability to lock a target. Can be configured to reduce a ships lock range by 40-60%, can be configured to increase the time it takes to lock a target (by a bunch), or configured to do both simultaneously, but at half effectiveness.
  • ECM (electronic counter measures, aka jams): These simply prevent a ship from locking. If they can't lock, they can't apply ewar to keep a target locked down, they can't use their guns to shoot, and generally can't direct the limited forms of damage they can still do. This ewar is 100% chance based, and either works or doesn't. Generally, ECM modules are weak (low percentage of success), but Caldari EWAR Ships (Griffin, Kitsune, Blackbird, Falcon, Rook, Scorpion, Widow) get major bonuses to the effectiveness of ECM.
  • (Note: Multiple Tracks, Damps, Paints, and Webs can be applied to the same ship for a cumulative and brutally debilitating effect. However a mechanic called "stacking penalties" makes more than three modules on the same target (when effecting the same attribute), inefficient.

3.) The ECM ships I mentioned have major bonuses to ECM. Some of those ships will have 50-100% jam success rates per jammer, and most of those ships fit 4-6 jammers each. The ECM ships generally do poor dps (although not all), and generally have a weak tank (but don't need a tank if their enemy can't shoot them!). If out soloing, an ECM opponent is annoying because people essentially sit there and wait for you to kill them with weak dps, or for you to miss a jam so they can kill you. In a fleet, where your not there to "add dps", but simply to remove enemy dps, enemy EWAR, and enemy logistics (healers), ECM boats are VERY potent. In general, that also makes you the primary target Big smile.
    Terry Qon
    Perkone
    Caldari State
    #9 - 2013-07-31 00:52:43 UTC
    Thanks Gizznitt for all that info.

The class starts at 5pm my time, and I finish at 630 :( I'll be able to make the saturday one if nothing comes up irl.

I think you answered all my questions in that one post though. Thanks alot~

For Warp scramblers and Warp disrupters. How do you know when the enemy ship is about to warp out? Or do you activate those modules as soon as you engage the target? Or do you kind of have to predict when he's going to try and warp, like if you are winning the fight, do you start activating your warp scramblers/disrupters?

And since I will have to learn to kite sooner or later. How is it actually done. Do you orbit or keep in range at a certain distance and activate afterburners/MWD when they get closer? or do you have to click on empty space, away from the target with AB/MWD?

Thanks for all the help again o7
    Praxis Ginimic
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #10 - 2013-07-31 00:54:00 UTC
    Living in a wh makes this sort of activity difficult. You will die a lot while learning and replacing your ships gets tough when you're in a new place every day. Dont be discouraged though. It really is just as simple as having 50ish ships to throw at the fire until you get the hang of things. Once you start losing 4 or 5 ships a day the lessons come fast and stick hard.

Good luck out there man
    Terry Qon
    Perkone
    Caldari State
    #11 - 2013-07-31 01:00:10 UTC
    Praxis Ginimic wrote:
    Living in a wh makes this sort of activity difficult. You will die a lot while learning and replacing your ships gets tough when you're in a new place every day. Dont be discouraged though. It really is just as simple as having 50ish ships to throw at the fire until you get the hang of things. Once you start losing 4 or 5 ships a day the lessons come fast and stick hard.

Good luck out there man

Thanks. I probably won't be doing both. The main reason I want to play Eve is to solo/small gang roam in ships I can afford to lose. Basically a pirate :P However a friend that got me into EvE is a wormhole player, and it does interest me a bit. So I'll try both and see what I like.
    Lia Danna
    Perkone
    Caldari State
    #12 - 2013-07-31 02:17:36 UTC
    Terry Qon wrote:

For Warp scramblers and Warp disrupters. How do you know when the enemy ship is about to warp out? Or do you activate those modules as soon as you engage the target? Or do you kind of have to predict when he's going to try and warp, like if you are winning the fight, do you start activating your warp scramblers/disrupters?

95% of the time, you are going to want to apply your disruptor/scram as soon as you're in range. They don't take much cap, so there isn't much of a reason not to do so. Remember, scram/disrupt first then web.

Terry Qon wrote:

Thanks. I probably won't be doing both. The main reason I want to play Eve is to solo/small gang roam in ships I can afford to lose. Basically a pirate :P However a friend that got me into EvE is a wormhole player, and it does interest me a bit. So I'll try both and see what I like.

Wormholes are great for isk grinding to fund your PvP, and there are wormholes that give you a random low-sec everyday to do your k-space PvP in (a c2>ls/c2 would be ideal). You can do both, under the right circumstances.
    Gizznitt Malikite
    Agony Unleashed
    Agony Empire
    #13 - 2013-07-31 03:03:44 UTC
    Terry Qon wrote:
    Thanks Gizznitt for all that info.

The class starts at 5pm my time, and I finish at 630 :( I'll be able to make the saturday one if nothing comes up irl.

I think you answered all my questions in that one post though. Thanks alot~

1.) For Warp scramblers and Warp disrupters. How do you know when the enemy ship is about to warp out? Or do you activate those modules as soon as you engage the target? Or do you kind of have to predict when he's going to try and warp, like if you are winning the fight, do you start activating your warp scramblers/disrupters?

2.) And since I will have to learn to kite sooner or later. How is it actually done. Do you orbit or keep in range at a certain distance and activate afterburners/MWD when they get closer? or do you have to click on empty space, away from the target with AB/MWD?

Thanks for all the help again o7

Class: It's one class, held on two days to make it more time-friendly. The first day is theory (~4 hrs), the second day is the roam (4-8 hrs, the roam is optional, and you can leave it when ever you like). Truthfully, while the roam is "applying' the theory, it is also the frosting on the cake, and our rules require pilots to attend class before attending a roam (Actually, once you attend the class portion, you can attend any & all future Basic-class roams). Sorry you'll be at work during the first day, that's the important day. This is primarily because we also outline coms discipline and fleet operations during the class, so you know what to do during the roam.

1.) You generally warp disruptor your enemy as soon as possible. Many people will flee rather than fight, and by disrupting them, you can prevent them from fleeing. This is especially true if your opponent is afraid you'll clobber them.

2.) Kiting is an art form. The beginner's method is to set orbit around your target, at your desired range. This works fairly well if you are in a small ship, orbiting a big ship (like an Ares orbiting a battleship). If you are trying to "kite" a frigate, with a frigate, people use a combination of keep at range, orbit, double clicking in space, Ctrl+space to stop, etc... to keep their ship out of the scram/web range of their opponent. Brawlers use manuevers like the sling shot (move ---> then quickly change direction and move <---- to oblate a standard orbit, and bring a ship into web range (13 km's when they "overheat" the module). It takes practice to perfect both kiting, and slingshotting.
    Terry Qon
    Perkone
    Caldari State
    #14 - 2013-07-31 05:59:26 UTC
    I am planning on using t1 frigates like the condor and merlin with all basic fittings like t1 stuff and fly out to nullsec, is this a waste of time, do I even have a chance at killing anyone?

Should I train to use t2 launchers/turrets? If so which skill should I learn first there's so much weapon skills. Like Hybrid turrets, Missile launchers, rapid missile launchers, rockets, torpedos. And these are all just for caldari ships Sad
    Praxis Ginimic
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #15 - 2013-07-31 06:36:20 UTC
    Skill plans are a hurdle for all new players but there are a lot of tools at your disposal.

First off take a look at the different weapon systems and decide which ones you would like to focus on first.

Now to pick a ship and fit. Battle Clinic is mildly helpful when used correctly. Do not even look at the load outs section. It is a mountain of crap with little gold nuggets hidden beneath the piles. Instead look up the kill boards, or rather the loss boards, of pilots that do what you want to do well. There you can see how their ships were fit when they died.

Now to make one for yourself. Don't just copy the FOtM. Sure they are popular for a reason but its important to shake things up if just to surprise your foes. Go download a fitting tool like pyfa or EFT. You can import your character's skills with the api to help make a fit that you can use right now then import them to the game's fitting folder. You can also work up a dream fit with a T2 ship and all the T2 mods that you can cram in. Now adjust the relevant skills in the fitter until it all fits and you have a sufficient tank, etc.

Now import that fit intoEveMon. This program will create anooptimized skill plan based on the ship & mods that you imported from eft. Dont forget to add in all your core skills, industrial skills, social skills, etc. Get a good year's worth of plan and let evemon tell you which ones go first and when to remap.

*don't remap just cause evemon says it will save you a few days. Save those for when you have a slew of skills to push up to 5
    *you don't really need to make year long skill plans, after 4 months you will know what you're doing well enough to plug skills in onthe fly...mostly
    *remember that the stats you see on a fitting tool are theory only and will almost never fully apply in-game
    Terry Qon
    Perkone
    Caldari State
    #16 - 2013-07-31 07:18:31 UTC
    I don't really favor any specific type of weaponry. I just want to use what's effective for caldari frigates/dessies, and eventually bigger ships once I can afford them. I looked through some battleclinic profiles from the kill board, and alot of them are fitting condors with t2 light missile launchers. I also saw a corax with t2 rocket launchers which seems pretty cool.

Railguns sound good too, for cormorants. Everyone seems to have ballistic control system 2 so I'll skill up for that. All the electronic warfare medium slots like the warp disrupter, afterburners seem to be all t1.

So once I choose light missiles, rockets, or railguns. I should skill up the chosen one to 5 so I can start using the t2 versions asap right?

I'm guessing for now the ships I can afford are Merlins, condors, corax, and cormorants.

If I choose to roam in merlins/cormorants I should start skilling up for railguns/blasters t2 and if I choose condors/corax I should go for missile/rockets launchers t2?

Praxis Ginimic
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #17 - 2013-07-31 11:10:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Praxis Ginimic
    Yes, but don't forget about your support skills. Your T2 neutron blasters suck without controlled burst, trajectory analysis, etc

Edit: T2 weapons have higher fitting requirements so all those gunnery skills won't do much good without proper fitting skills. Even if you can fit all the things the name of the game is range control so you will be proper navigation skills too. The last goes on.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that you can't pvp without all the skills. You can. You may not be elite and solo especially will be tough. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't neglect your core/support skills. Inject all the things and train them to 3. Lvl 3 is a short train on most anything and having all your gunnery skills at 3 with T1 guns will give more benefit than T2 guns without support skills.
    Terry Qon
    Perkone
    Caldari State
    #18 - 2013-07-31 11:44:41 UTC
    Praxis Ginimic wrote:
    Yes, but don't forget about your support skills. Your T2 neutron blasters suck without controlled burst, trajectory analysis, etc

Edit: T2 weapons have higher fitting requirements so all those gunnery skills won't do much good without proper fitting skills. Even if you can fit all the things the name of the game is range control so you will be proper navigation skills too. The last goes on.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that you can't pvp without all the skills. You can. You may not be elite and solo especially will be tough. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't neglect your core/support skills. Inject all the things and train them to 3. Lvl 3 is a short train on most anything and having all your gunnery skills at 3 with T1 guns will give more benefit than T2 guns without support skills.

thank you!!!
    Gizznitt Malikite
    Agony Unleashed
    Agony Empire
    #19 - 2013-08-01 04:03:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Gizznitt Malikite
    Terry Qon wrote:
    I am planning on using t1 frigates like the condor and merlin with all basic fittings like t1 stuff and fly out to nullsec, is this a waste of time, do I even have a chance at killing anyone?

Should I train to use t2 launchers/turrets? If so which skill should I learn first there's so much weapon skills. Like Hybrid turrets, Missile launchers, rapid missile launchers, rockets, torpedos. And these are all just for caldari ships Sad

A new player can kill an older player simply by employing appropriate tactics. When I first started PvP'ing, I used a tactic we called fishing. I would venture out into nullsec in a t1 frigate designed specifically to kill interceptors, which at the time were very fast, generally didn't have a bunch of dps, and were generally frail. Originally I fit 2x webs and a scram, foregoing a prop mod (to free up pg for more tank & weapons). I would only engage when they got too close, and found I could generally hold them in place and kill them while sporting a superior tank.

I used meta 1, 2, & 3 modules (most of which are very cheap), and I was out killing more experienced pilots, in "better ships" before I ever had an SP advantage over my opponents (These kills are from a long time ago, when I was starting to PvP):

Tristan vs Onyx, Crow, and Raptor.
    Merlin vs Rifter
    Merlin vs Claw
    Merlin vs Crow
    Merlin vs Raptor
    Merlin vs Crusader (loss mail to show my fit)
    Merlin vs Taranis (loss mail to show my fit)
    Merlin vs Taranis
    Tristan vs Crow
    Tristan vs Malediction

I could go on and on with examples, where my low-SP, cheap fit t1 frigates took on higher SP characters in T2 fit t2 ships. Most of the time, SP doesnt' matter nearly as much as combat tactics.

Realize, I had an idea how my desired opponents would be fit before I undocked. Fitting up a ship to counter an opponent is not some impossible thing requiring a crystal ball! The truth is, most ships are fit up in one or two very common and predictable manners, with mild variations. Adapting your fit to take advantage of their weaknesses allows you to kill ships even when you have less skillpoints, less bling, and in a "weaker" ship. Perfecting your fits will take some trial and error, some experience, some research, and a fair number of losses, but you eventually learn what to engage, how to engage, and when to engage. That is how you win!

A few after thoughts: Entrances into nullsec (especially from highsec) are generally camped. Pilots like to use bubbles, and bubbling ships to kill anyone "neutral" or "hostile" that enters their space. Before entering nullsec, read up on bubble mechanics and how to avoid them. I also recommend using resources like dotlan maps to browse your destination (and travel route). It can show you semi-up-to-date activity in the systems you travel through, including ship kills, NPC's destroyed, and gate activations. You don't have to venture far into nullsec before you find lots and lots of empty systems (which means no targets). Finding the right area, with decent activity and engageable targets is not easy, and I recommend NPC regions like Syndicate and/or Curse. Another fairly decent option is to purposely head into "safe" coalition territories. Places like Tribute, Providence, and Delve have lots of activity, and while most of the pilots there are friendly to each other, they sometimes give good fights.
    Lost Greybeard
    Drunken Yordles
    #20 - 2013-08-01 08:43:41 UTC
    Terry Qon wrote:

Turret or missile skill compatible with your race and ship size to 5, for T2 turrets. If you're flying cruisers, some fitting and capacitor skills. If you're flying frigs, ALL of the fitting skills as high as you have the patience to take them as soon as you can do so. Navigation skills are great in PvP for all ships. Otherwise, just get prereqs for modules you want and to buff modules you use as with any other activity.

Quote:

To start, run frigates if you're pirating, and frigates or destroyers if you're looking for actual low-sec fights rather than victims. Transitioning to medium ships is a viable option, but not really urgent or even necessary.

Early on, try for the cheapest fit you can even imagine winning a fight with, because you'll explode a lot while learning. I still fly ships that I can manufacture on my own (so all T1 parts) for like 1-3 million a pop tops when I'm not actually hunting (SB) or supporting a fleet.

Quote:

No. Do it yourself, it's not hard and if you don't learn to fit your own stuff you're going to suck at PVP forever instead of jsut the first couple weeks.

Quote:

The rule for kiting bigger ships is DO NOT, they have the range to smack you out at long point range, which even intermittently is going to kill you much faster than you can smack them around when they're using med/large guns. For a larger ship your best option is usually to maximize angular velocity using some sweet-spot combo of radius and speed. The first tip is to use MWD to get into orbit, but not while you're orbiting, since the increase in radius can easily cancel and more the angular velocity factor on miss chance.

Kiting is mostly about correctly identifying ships that don't have the range to hit you at 20km, and then avoiding running into things where they can catch up. The range thing usually means only use it on other frigates, though technically there are theoretical exceptions for some medium boats with very specific loadouts.