These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Yulai, can we have it back please?

Author
Droidster
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-07-29 02:12:25 UTC
Can we please return Yulai to the way it was before please?

Background for new players: in the old days Yulai was a neutral territory owned by DED/Concord and was connected to all four of the major race areas. Thus, Yulai acted as a neutral hub. The shortest way from any capital to another was through Yulai. There were 4 main capitals: Oursulaert (Gallente), Rens (Minmatar), Jita (Caldari), and Amarr (Ammarian). Yulai was the most populated system, but the race hubs still had large populations. Anyway CCP didn't like having so many people in one system so they decided to disconnect Yulai from the other systems so it was no longer on the shortest path. The stated objective was to make people go back to the racial regions. This completely failed. What happened is that everybody moved to Jita, the second biggest hub due to the popularity of Caldari ships. This had the effect of benefitting all the Caldari-based players and screwing everybody else (who was operating in high sec). For example, being a trader I had to uproot and transport all my stuff out of Alentene and move to Caldari space to be closer to Jita. Since I had literally 1000s of assets in depots all over Essence and Verge Vendor this was a huge pain in the ass for me. Now, years later, the situation is the same: a Caldari-focused high-sec map. Travel became slower and less convenient because you could no longer go through Yulai. So, for example, to go from Jita to Amarr became a longer trip. Virtually every important major high sec route got longer.

Anyway, now that the cut-off-Yulai experiment is complete I don't really see the benefit. In fact, it just seems to have distorted the game in the favor of Caldari and slowed down travel needlessly.

Can we please restore the links to Yulai the way they were before? I think this would result in a much better gameplay.
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2013-07-29 02:33:30 UTC
sure, why not
Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-07-29 02:34:54 UTC
we should do the exact opposite of what you suggest and make it even harder to get around hisec, because making things easier cheapens the experience.

Look at the idea in my signature

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=174097 Separate all 4 empires in eve with lowsec.

Caldari 5
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. S.A.S
Affirmative.
#4 - 2013-07-29 03:19:28 UTC
Neutral Trade hub, sure, why not :)
Aliventi
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#5 - 2013-07-29 03:38:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Aliventi
When CCP Veritas and the team manage to get "Brain on the Box" to work so that it is considerably less server taxing to jump/dock/bridge, etc then I don't see why those connections can not be reestablished. As it stands right now the lag jumping in to Yulai would be many times worse than Jita as masses of people relocate from Jita and the other hubs to Yulai.

Expect some significant backlash as people defend the fact that there is nothing wrong with the way things are now. From what you have said the current market hubs still existed then. I would expect that they would continue to exist after this change, although is a lesser capacity than they do now.
Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#6 - 2013-07-29 05:51:08 UTC
Commander Ted wrote:
we should do the exact opposite of what you suggest and make it even harder to get around hisec, because making things easier cheapens the experience.

So by your logic, creating more opportunities for PvP, making it more accessible and easier to get into will kill PvP?

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!

Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-07-29 05:55:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Commander Ted
Asuka Solo wrote:

So by your logic, creating more opportunities for PvP, making it more accessible and easier to get into will kill PvP?

No? Way to strawman.

See I can do that to.
By your logic anything not easy is bad.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=174097 Separate all 4 empires in eve with lowsec.

Caitlyn Tufy
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-07-29 06:22:31 UTC
Nope, multiple more local hubs are good for business. I haven't been in Jita on my main in... I don't know, two years or so? Still, I manage just fine financially.
Eric Raeder
No Fee Too High
#9 - 2013-07-29 06:23:32 UTC
The OP's suggestions seems to be leading to making Yulai a Super-Jita, with even more congestion than Jita has now. Ugh. What would be much better would be to alter map connections to reduce the dominance of Jita and make the secondary hubs more equal to it. Tricky to do, though. Cutting a connection or two to Jita will likely just result in another Caldari system emerging as the game's uber trade hub. Sufficient connections would have to be altered to make Caldari space in general less of a crossroads to the galaxy.

Aliventi
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#10 - 2013-07-29 07:43:29 UTC
Caitlyn Tufy wrote:
Nope, multiple more local hubs are good for business. I haven't been in Jita on my main in... I don't know, two years or so? Still, I manage just fine financially.

And what would change for you if this were to happen? I would imagine, with what you have said, next to nothing would change for you.

Eric Raeder wrote:
The OP's suggestions seems to be leading to making Yulai a Super-Jita, with even more congestion than Jita has now. Ugh. What would be much better would be to alter map connections to reduce the dominance of Jita and make the secondary hubs more equal to it. Tricky to do, though. Cutting a connection or two to Jita will likely just result in another Caldari system emerging as the game's uber trade hub. Sufficient connections would have to be altered to make Caldari space in general less of a crossroads to the galaxy.

What if CCP were to make it so there was no congestion even in a super Jita? Would you be opposed to it still? Chances are you will never be able to sufficiently cut the number of connections to make all the hubs equal. Even if you did a connection a hub has 2 or more jumps out that allows it easier access to another race's space would make it the dominate trade hub. Balancing correctly across 20+ jumps in any direction from any hub is improbable.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#11 - 2013-07-29 08:09:34 UTC
I always thought it was a bad change tbh. So yes I agree, time to change it back.

+1

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Luc Chastot
#12 - 2013-07-29 08:22:27 UTC
Hopefully this will come with the new industry changes.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Shereza
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-07-29 08:34:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Shereza
A "neutral hub" does not necessarily need to have any usable stations. Would Yulai be such a problem without any stations usable by players in it? For that matter what if CCP could just block market access in the entire system so that you can't buy or sell from within it?

Edit: Please note that trading and establishing or accepting contracts would also have to be blocked in the system as well to eliminate all trade-based server load that isn't explicitly related to transportation.
Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#14 - 2013-07-29 08:38:43 UTC
Droidster wrote:
now that the cut-off-Yulai experiment is complete

your post was a cool story until that line.
right then is when I have to say "tl;dr drugs are bad" and call your entire post bullshit.
Caitlyn Tufy
Perkone
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-07-29 08:41:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Caitlyn Tufy
Aliventi wrote:
And what would change for you if this were to happen? I would imagine, with what you have said, next to nothing would change for you.

Basically, I couldn't exploit the price difference, as a central easily accessible hub acts as a normalizer across regions much easier than decentralized hubs do now.

People aren't limited to caldari space because it would be hard to get to another part of high sec - after all, for a bargain price, you can have all your assets lifted over the night by Red Frog or similar services. People are stuck in caldari space for other, mostly historic reasons.
Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#16 - 2013-07-29 11:40:52 UTC
This is a cool idea.

I've always thought Yulai was a cool system and wondered why CCP swept it under the rug.

Shiera Kuni
Electric Machete
#17 - 2013-07-29 16:53:08 UTC
Shereza wrote:
A "neutral hub" does not necessarily need to have any usable stations. Would Yulai be such a problem without any stations usable by players in it? For that matter what if CCP could just block market access in the entire system so that you can't buy or sell from within it?

Edit: Please note that trading and establishing or accepting contracts would also have to be blocked in the system as well to eliminate all trade-based server load that isn't explicitly related to transportation.

I would agree with reactivating Yulai only if this were the case, not for the market aspect but because Yulai's only station was wiped off the map by the Elder fleet. I wouldn't mind buzzing through the wreckage of that.

CCP Falcon:  This thread is terrible.

Marcus Harikari
#18 - 2013-07-29 19:33:21 UTC
Eric Raeder wrote:

we should keep the caldari market, but take down all the stargates in caldari space, so that the whole region can only be accessed through wormholes
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#19 - 2013-07-29 20:04:11 UTC
The last thing this game needs is an even more centralized trade hub.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Aliventi
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#20 - 2013-07-29 20:07:57 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
The last thing this game needs is an even more centralized trade hub.

Why is this the last thing we need?
123Next page