These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Missioning, Random Player appears! And steals my mission objective loot! How??

Author
Arior Meitoriesis
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-07-29 04:15:51 UTC
Well, I have noticed that on missions where I linger a bit in a "room", sooner or later, a player shows up, and makes an attempt to steal my loot. And said players usually have a suspect tag on them. A part of me wants to shoot him out of the sky, and claim the bounty while at it, but a part of me also tells me, it might be a trap.

My point though is, how on Earth do said players are able to track me to my location (I imagine something invovling the D-scan ), and more so, how on earth are they able to warp to MY location? I thought these mission instances did not show up in the HUD of other players.

This is a major mystery for me, and I wish to know, how this happens. Why this happens, I am content with knowing that said players do it for the lols. Roll
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#2 - 2013-07-29 04:17:22 UTC
Combat probes.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Arior Meitoriesis
Doomheim
#3 - 2013-07-29 04:50:22 UTC
Oh.... I had no idea of their existence.

Much obliged.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-07-29 06:41:28 UTC
And yes, it's mainly for chuckles - and the off chance you shoot them.
Cameron Freerunner
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2013-07-29 16:27:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Cameron Freerunner
It's about 100x more likely to occur in one of a few specific mission hub areas (e.g. the Frarn area, Motsu, etc). Get away from those places and it's much more rare. That said, learn the mission objectives using EVE Survival and plan accordingly. Even a low sp or trial alt can be useful for picking up the objective while the mission runner is engaged. This is doubly true if you're a long range fit and have to motor over to dropped cans and that sort of thing.
Dilligafmofo
3WAYFOUNDATIONS
Job's Done.
#6 - 2013-07-30 08:02:14 UTC
Do NOT ever shoot at them, this is the whole purpose for entering your mission.

Your efficient missioning battleship will be BBQ'd by any PvP ship in most circumstances, if you open fire, they will kill you.
Paul Otichoda
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-07-31 10:37:29 UTC
Dilligafmofo wrote:
Do NOT ever shoot at them, this is the whole purpose for entering your mission.

Your efficient missioning battleship will be BBQ'd by any PvP ship in most circumstances, if you open fire, they will kill you.

yeah I have this issue at your local level 4 mission system. A quick D-Scan showed a Tengu hovering at 1bn km so I left him loot my wrecks. Luckly the mission was just a kill all so nothing important was lost but I'm still bitter.
Moonlit Raid
Doomheim
#8 - 2013-07-31 22:23:21 UTC
Carry some tech 1 ammo and blast your wrecks. Nothing to loot for them they have no reason to stick around.

If brute force isn't working, you're just not using enough.

Please Note: Any advice given comes with the caveat that nothing will be suitable for every situation.

Aurette
962348 Corporation
#9 - 2013-08-01 07:01:17 UTC
Since the agent quality thing changed there are many agents that were "poor" that are now "just the same," which means no real need to mission at the main hubs.

Some will just come in and salvage your wrecks to, as it is not stealing with the game mechanics. Your loot drops in containers once they salvage. You have the option of shooting wrecks out from in front of them :) good for a laugh at times. Be careful not to shoot a can they drop, you will get a suspect flag and they will shoot at you.

Now we have salvage drones :) enough said

Xia Kairui
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-08-01 10:01:58 UTC
These folks come in several flavors.

First, those that want to kill your (blinged out?) mission ship. They usually try to get you to shoot them in some way, usually by stealing from you. As others said a PvP ship will eat your PvE ship for breakfast - or they simply lose the cheap frigate they are in and return in something tailored to eat your ship. They know the resists you tank for after all.
Countermeasure: ignore them, and also make sure your drones do not aggro them.

Then there's ninja looters. I don't know if they still exist, but they come to salvage your wrecks and not to steal. See a dozen CCP responses going "salvaging is not stealing".
Countermeasure: Ignore them too. I usually set my wrecks blue, because, well, I don't care much about the stuff they drop.

I haven't encountered the "I steal your mission critical loot and try to sell it back to you" for some time. Those would snag the damsel and sell it to you for several millions more than it's worth. Err, what is the worth of THAT particular "damsel" by now? Can't be much... But I am drifting off here.
Sometimes the first category turns into this if you ignore them.
Countermeasure: none. Either pay up or take the standings hit. In rare cases you can buy the objective off the market, but IIRC that doesn't work much any more. MAYBE waiting until downtime resets the mission, but usually if the mission item drops the mission counts as "done" and doesn't reset.

There used to be folks that tried to agress as many NPCs as they could and then run out, hoping you'll be killed by the NPCs to loot your (blinged out?) wreck. Rare since it's risky - they have to loot under NPC fire.
Countermeasures: kill everything that points you and warp out. Wait until downtime resets the mission.