These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Alliance Tournament Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

Pathetic Brent

First post
Author
Garmon
Gods Holy Light Bringing You're Penance
#21 - 2013-07-29 00:34:18 UTC
also every single commentator is doing amazing this year specially my lover
I like Duncan
Duncan Tanner
Genos Occidere
HYDRA RELOADED
#22 - 2013-07-29 00:36:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Duncan Tanner
Garmon wrote:

PL IM COMING IN UTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwisted


We are coming for you*

.

Mawderator
ElitistOps
WE FORM V0LTA
#23 - 2013-07-29 01:01:09 UTC
Duncan Tanner wrote:
Garmon wrote:

PL IM COMING IN UTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwisted


We are coming for you*


Coming on you*
Snake O'Connor
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-07-29 01:06:44 UTC
Mawderator wrote:
Duncan Tanner wrote:
Garmon wrote:

PL IM COMING IN UTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwistedTwisted


We are coming for you*


Coming on you*

cuming on u*
Concha
Landed-Gentry
#25 - 2013-07-29 01:38:26 UTC
Apathetic Brent wrote:
Concha wrote:
The issues for me are that Brent's apology was insincere at best and CCP is content to pretend it didn't happen. Weather he meant malice or not, he should own his mistake and realize what he said was wrong. I understand no one is perfect and I personally would have no problem if he commentated for future events - as long as he's willing to own his error and can prepare better material.


Please don't think that my apology was insincere. We're extremely rushed for time and that was all that I was allotted at that moment for the apology. I am so sorry for what I said, and it wasn't meant in a malicious manner. The fact remains though, malicious intent or no, it was a horrible thing to say.

-Brent


It takes a man to own his errors. Cheers for that.

Like I said, I did not think you meant that with any malice or ill will towards anyone, but I don't think that kind of comment should be totally ignored when you have an audience of 12k+ people. You seem like a good guy and I enjoyed your contributions to the stream. However, the word choice was unfortunate and should not be repeated; ignoring it helps no one!

And for those saying I should harden up etc - its not about me. Any racist/sexist/homophobic or other hateful slur only serves to offend or degrade someone. I don't think that's right, so I spoke up. There are plenty of people that are genuinely offended and hurt by societies wide spread acceptance/use of hateful language. I'm speaking for them, not myself.

Apathetic Brent
TURN LEFT
HYDRA RELOADED
#26 - 2013-07-29 02:05:33 UTC
As soon as it came out of my mouth I died a little inside. Being around internet vernacular tends to rub off after a while. I'm ashamed that it happened, and I'll try my best to make sure that it never occurs again.
Orar Ironfist
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-07-29 02:43:06 UTC
Concha wrote:
Apathetic Brent wrote:
Concha wrote:
The issues for me are that Brent's apology was insincere at best and CCP is content to pretend it didn't happen. Weather he meant malice or not, he should own his mistake and realize what he said was wrong. I understand no one is perfect and I personally would have no problem if he commentated for future events - as long as he's willing to own his error and can prepare better material.


Please don't think that my apology was insincere. We're extremely rushed for time and that was all that I was allotted at that moment for the apology. I am so sorry for what I said, and it wasn't meant in a malicious manner. The fact remains though, malicious intent or no, it was a horrible thing to say.

-Brent


It takes a man to own his errors. Cheers for that.

Like I said, I did not think you meant that with any malice or ill will towards anyone, but I don't think that kind of comment should be totally ignored when you have an audience of 12k+ people. You seem like a good guy and I enjoyed your contributions to the stream. However, the word choice was unfortunate and should not be repeated; ignoring it helps no one!

And for those saying I should harden up etc - its not about me. Any racist/sexist/homophobic or other hateful slur only serves to offend or degrade someone. I don't think that's right, so I spoke up. There are plenty of people that are genuinely offended and hurt by societies wide spread acceptance/use of hateful language. I'm speaking for them, not myself.





As someone who really does enjoy the male variety in real life:

You need to harden the fuck up. It was a word not used in a serious homophobic way, but an extremely common Internet slang term accidentally thrown out in a moment of stress.
Concha
Landed-Gentry
#28 - 2013-07-29 02:57:56 UTC
Orar Ironfist wrote:
Concha wrote:
Apathetic Brent wrote:
Concha wrote:
The issues for me are that Brent's apology was insincere at best and CCP is content to pretend it didn't happen. Weather he meant malice or not, he should own his mistake and realize what he said was wrong. I understand no one is perfect and I personally would have no problem if he commentated for future events - as long as he's willing to own his error and can prepare better material.


Please don't think that my apology was insincere. We're extremely rushed for time and that was all that I was allotted at that moment for the apology. I am so sorry for what I said, and it wasn't meant in a malicious manner. The fact remains though, malicious intent or no, it was a horrible thing to say.

-Brent


It takes a man to own his errors. Cheers for that.

Like I said, I did not think you meant that with any malice or ill will towards anyone, but I don't think that kind of comment should be totally ignored when you have an audience of 12k+ people. You seem like a good guy and I enjoyed your contributions to the stream. However, the word choice was unfortunate and should not be repeated; ignoring it helps no one!

And for those saying I should harden up etc - its not about me. Any racist/sexist/homophobic or other hateful slur only serves to offend or degrade someone. I don't think that's right, so I spoke up. There are plenty of people that are genuinely offended and hurt by societies wide spread acceptance/use of hateful language. I'm speaking for them, not myself.





As someone who really does enjoy the male variety in real life:

You need to harden the fuck up. It was a word not used in a serious homophobic way, but an extremely common Internet slang term accidentally thrown out in a moment of stress.


Racial slurs can be used similarly. That's no excuse though.
Bionic Wolf
Doomheim
#29 - 2013-07-29 03:23:27 UTC
Concha wrote:

And for those saying I should harden up etc - its not about me. Any racist/sexist/homophobic or other hateful slur only serves to offend or degrade someone. I don't think that's right, so I spoke up. There are plenty of people that are genuinely offended and hurt by societies wide spread acceptance/use of hateful language. I'm speaking for them, not myself.


Where are all these mute homosexual people that can't speak for themselves and need random people to decide something is offensive on their behalf?

Anybody with an ounce of common sense can see the intent wasn't to offend homosexuals. Tell me are you going to act like superman if someone uses the word bastard for example incase somebody born to unmarried parents gets offended? Or just assume that its use wasn't intended for what it means? Roll
Concha
Landed-Gentry
#30 - 2013-07-29 03:34:36 UTC
Bionic Wolf wrote:
Concha wrote:

And for those saying I should harden up etc - its not about me. Any racist/sexist/homophobic or other hateful slur only serves to offend or degrade someone. I don't think that's right, so I spoke up. There are plenty of people that are genuinely offended and hurt by societies wide spread acceptance/use of hateful language. I'm speaking for them, not myself.


Where are all these mute homosexual people that can't speak for themselves and need random people to decide something is offensive on their behalf?

Anybody with an ounce of common sense can see the intent wasn't to offend homosexuals. Tell me are you going to act like superman if someone uses the word bastard for example incase somebody born to unmarried parents gets offended? Or just assume that its use wasn't intended for what it means? Roll


Bastard is not a bigoted comment. Compare apples to apples, please.

Would it be okay to use a racial slur on air just because it is a commonplace in the vocabulary of the anonymous internet user - even if you meant no offense?

Shiroi Okami
Genos Occidere
HYDRA RELOADED
#31 - 2013-07-29 03:35:37 UTC
Concha wrote:
Apathetic Brent wrote:
Concha wrote:
The issues for me are that Brent's apology was insincere at best and CCP is content to pretend it didn't happen. Weather he meant malice or not, he should own his mistake and realize what he said was wrong. I understand no one is perfect and I personally would have no problem if he commentated for future events - as long as he's willing to own his error and can prepare better material.


Please don't think that my apology was insincere. We're extremely rushed for time and that was all that I was allotted at that moment for the apology. I am so sorry for what I said, and it wasn't meant in a malicious manner. The fact remains though, malicious intent or no, it was a horrible thing to say.

-Brent


It takes a man to own his errors. Cheers for that.

Like I said, I did not think you meant that with any malice or ill will towards anyone, but I don't think that kind of comment should be totally ignored when you have an audience of 12k+ people. You seem like a good guy and I enjoyed your contributions to the stream. However, the word choice was unfortunate and should not be repeated; ignoring it helps no one!

And for those saying I should harden up etc - its not about me. Any racist/sexist/homophobic or other hateful slur only serves to offend or degrade someone. I don't think that's right, so I spoke up. There are plenty of people that are genuinely offended and hurt by societies wide spread acceptance/use of hateful language. I'm speaking for them, not myself.



To quote the great Stephen Fry (Who is also a homosexual FYI)

Quote:
It is now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that', as if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive'. It has no purpose. It has no meaning. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well so ******* what?


Political correctness is getting totally out of hand, and people like you are the main reason. You live/watch/play on the internet, you need to learn to deal with internet lingo, and crying that you are offended when someone says '***' in a way that is not even intended as a slur is ridiculous. Nobody cares that you are offended by this. Brent should not have to apologise. Move on.

My Latest Video: Freestyle III

Katie Frost
Check.M8
#32 - 2013-07-29 03:47:41 UTC
Apathetic Brent wrote:
As soon as it came out of my mouth I died a little inside. Being around internet vernacular tends to rub off after a while. I'm ashamed that it happened, and I'll try my best to make sure that it never occurs again.


I am also, ahem, outraged and appalled by Brent's comments!

Since we are unable to lynch him publicly for this transgression, I think that he should provide due compensation to all the listeners and affected parties. By compensation, I do refer to ISK... because Brent is a known space-rich ***.
Bionic Wolf
Doomheim
#33 - 2013-07-29 04:04:47 UTC
Oh please, the same principle applies, if you heard the word bastard used, you wouldn't have thought for a second it had absolutely anything to do with it's actual meaning. You'd think it was a mildly insulting generic term. Whether you choose to get politically correct about it or not, that's what the word used today has also become, particularly around the internet.

....and yes intent is very important when determining offense.

Anyway I really can't be bothered to get into some drawn out PC debate with you, I really don't care if a few super sensitive people get offended on other peoples behalf over something that had no malicious intent.
Lakitel
4.20ly Mining Range
#34 - 2013-07-29 04:05:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Lakitel
Concha wrote:
Bionic Wolf wrote:
Concha wrote:

And for those saying I should harden up etc - its not about me. Any racist/sexist/homophobic or other hateful slur only serves to offend or degrade someone. I don't think that's right, so I spoke up. There are plenty of people that are genuinely offended and hurt by societies wide spread acceptance/use of hateful language. I'm speaking for them, not myself.


Where are all these mute homosexual people that can't speak for themselves and need random people to decide something is offensive on their behalf?

Anybody with an ounce of common sense can see the intent wasn't to offend homosexuals. Tell me are you going to act like superman if someone uses the word bastard for example incase somebody born to unmarried parents gets offended? Or just assume that its use wasn't intended for what it means? Roll


Bastard is not a bigoted comment. Compare apples to apples, please.

Would it be okay to use a racial slur on air just because it is a commonplace in the vocabulary of the anonymous internet user - even if you meant no offense?




Ermm I disagree, if somebody called me a bastard and meant it, since I was born out of wedlock, I'd probably be quite offended, not only because of the word he or she said, but the fact that they wanted to offend me in the first place.

A lot of people say bastard all the time and I don't mind, because swears are thrown around a lot and have become a valid part of the English dictionary and any psychologist will tell you that F*ck is just as valid a word as B*gger.

At the end of the day, its not your right to say what is and what isn't a bigoted comment, if somebody was targeted and got offended, then let them bring it up, you have no right to. If they do bring it up, and you support them, thats different, but doing the white knight thing is as cliche as it is fake at this point.

Tbh, i think its a bigger insult when you defend somebody who didn't ask to be defended, because you are calling them weak, and thats just as bad as using the variety of words that exist to insult somebody.

Also GG to Brent for apologizing, it takes a man to own up to his mistakes, and for Brent, as a first time commentator and broadcaster, it is a totally acceptable slip to make, especially since he owned up to it.

Well done on the commentating, and well done for your apology.

Edit: Also, I'd like to add that unless you are a robot, you could totally tell from his face and his demeanor that he regretted saying it the second the words came out of his mouth. The fact alone that he was visibly regretting it, and the fact that there was embarrassment in his voice when he apologized, should be more than enough to prove that he didn't mean it and that it was an unfortunate slip.

Again, I personally laughed a little, and I don't think he should apologize because of what he said, I think he should apologize for where he said it, since it is a PG and professional broadcast.

I hope I don't need to tell you all that Brent is not a CCP employee, he has no history of commentating on a PG channel like this that I know. Brent was there as an outreach from CCP to the EvE online community, and when CCP involves the larger community, they can't control every single thing, and they can't train everybody on how they need to commentate and what not.

It was a mistake, he apologized, story over.
Zane Lowe
I Need Some
#35 - 2013-07-29 04:55:05 UTC
It's sad that the world is a place where people like Concha are taken seriously.
Lakitel
4.20ly Mining Range
#36 - 2013-07-29 05:01:05 UTC
Zane Lowe wrote:
It's sad that the world is a place where people like Concha are taken seriously.


Its not about him, its about Brent and how he is basically being bullied. I posted that to support Brent and to show him that not everybody agrees with what people like Concha say.
Concha
Landed-Gentry
#37 - 2013-07-29 05:19:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Concha
Lakitel wrote:
Concha wrote:
Bionic Wolf wrote:
Concha wrote:

And for those saying I should harden up etc - its not about me. Any racist/sexist/homophobic or other hateful slur only serves to offend or degrade someone. I don't think that's right, so I spoke up. There are plenty of people that are genuinely offended and hurt by societies wide spread acceptance/use of hateful language. I'm speaking for them, not myself.


Where are all these mute homosexual people that can't speak for themselves and need random people to decide something is offensive on their behalf?

Anybody with an ounce of common sense can see the intent wasn't to offend homosexuals. Tell me are you going to act like superman if someone uses the word bastard for example incase somebody born to unmarried parents gets offended? Or just assume that its use wasn't intended for what it means? Roll


Bastard is not a bigoted comment. Compare apples to apples, please.

Would it be okay to use a racial slur on air just because it is a commonplace in the vocabulary of the anonymous internet user - even if you meant no offense?




Ermm I disagree, if somebody called me a bastard and meant it, since I was born out of wedlock, I'd probably be quite offended, not only because of the word he or she said, but the fact that they wanted to offend me in the first place.

A lot of people say bastard all the time and I don't mind, because swears are thrown around a lot and have become a valid part of the English dictionary and any psychologist will tell you that F*ck is just as valid a word as B*gger.

At the end of the day, its not your right to say what is and what isn't a bigoted comment, if somebody was targeted and got offended, then let them bring it up, you have no right to. If they do bring it up, and you support them, thats different, but doing the white knight thing is as cliche as it is fake at this point.

Tbh, i think its a bigger insult when you defend somebody who didn't ask to be defended, because you are calling them weak, and thats just as bad as using the variety of words that exist to insult somebody.

Also GG to Brent for apologizing, it takes a man to own up to his mistakes, and for Brent, as a first time commentator and broadcaster, it is a totally acceptable slip to make, especially since he owned up to it.

Well done on the commentating, and well done for your apology.

Edit: Also, I'd like to add that unless you are a robot, you could totally tell from his face and his demeanor that he regretted saying it the second the words came out of his mouth. The fact alone that he was visibly regretting it, and the fact that there was embarrassment in his voice when he apologized, should be more than enough to prove that he didn't mean it and that it was an unfortunate slip.

Again, I personally laughed a little, and I don't think he should apologize because of what he said, I think he should apologize for where he said it, since it is a PG and professional broadcast.

I hope I don't need to tell you all that Brent is not a CCP employee, he has no history of commentating on a PG channel like this that I know. Brent was there as an outreach from CCP to the EvE online community, and when CCP involves the larger community, they can't control every single thing, and they can't train everybody on how they need to commentate and what not.

It was a mistake, he apologized, story over.


It's not saying people are weak at all - there were 12k people on that stream and this section of the forum has, what, 1k views max?

Regardless of what others say, that is not an excuse to make those kinds of comments on a public broadcast.

Offensive slurs are not the same as f*ck - to say otherwise is silly. Bastard is not even a derogatory term, much less a bigoted slur, BTW. Just like b*tch, it the right context, it is a not a hateful word.
TAckermassacker
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#38 - 2013-07-29 07:40:23 UTC
TL;DR can i win something in this thread?
Rob Crowley
State War Academy
#39 - 2013-07-29 09:50:35 UTC
TAckermassacker wrote:
TL;DR can i win something in this thread?

You can win back part of your sanity if you leave the thread within the next 10 minutes and post a mail to CCP Eterne confirming that you left.
CCP Bro
C C P
C C P Alliance
#40 - 2013-07-29 11:05:15 UTC
Hey Everyone,

On behalf of the tournament team and CCP I would like to apologize for the inappropriate language. The term used has no place on any CCP stream and this has been made clear with the team and our player volunteers.

-CCP Bro

eSports Coordinator for the EVE Universe & Community Specialist

Previous page12