These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Missioning as a Minmatar pilot: What's the ship progression?

Author
Anna Verhyldvar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-07-26 10:22:24 UTC
I know that the endgoal is probably a Vargur or more likely a Machariel, but I'm trying to help a newbie friend out and since I personally hate Minmatar ships (AMARR 4 LYFE) I'm not really sure what the progression ought to be.

I've recommended a rifter -> thrasher so far, and that should be fine while he grinds level 2 missions, but what after that?
Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#2 - 2013-07-26 10:28:07 UTC
Rifter (1s) -> Thrasher/Rupture (2s) -> Hurricane (3s) -> Maelstrom (4s) -> Vargur/TFI/Machariel
Anna Verhyldvar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-07-26 10:35:23 UTC
Paikis wrote:
Rifter (1s) -> Thrasher/Rupture (2s) -> Hurricane (3s) -> Maelstrom (4s) -> Vargur/TFI/Machariel
Excellent thanks. And am I correct in advising him to stick to autocannons instead of artillery? AFAIK arty is only good for alpha/instablap stuff and has terrible dps
Jack Morrison
Team Liquid crp.
#4 - 2013-07-26 10:53:23 UTC
Anna Verhyldvar wrote:
Paikis wrote:
Excellent thanks. And am I correct in advising him to stick to autocannons instead of artillery? AFAIK arty is only good for alpha/instablap stuff and has terrible dps

I would actually suggest you use 1200s (or 14000s if they fit) on the Maelstrom. You will hit for about 50% damage at 40km which combined with a slow boat increases the time it takes to finish a mission. So Arties - even if they have a bit less paper dps.

Looking for a group to pew with ? Have a chat with me.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-07-26 10:59:58 UTC
no, actually artillery is preferable for all of the ships for PVE until you get to the mach/vargur and the TFI (assuming were talking about the typhoon) actually uses missiles.
Shizu Eisenkreuz
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-07-26 11:11:25 UTC
While we are talking about Minmatar progression, is there a logical step between Maelstrom and Machariel?

I'm not having any trouble in L4s with my Maelstrom, but it's getting boring. A Machariel is still quite far away, both because of the price and because I have a bunch of stuff to train before Gallente BS.

Maybe a Tempest fleet issue? Or should I simply progress with better modules on my Maelstrom?
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-07-26 11:13:11 UTC
Well once you have t2 everything (including guns) all you really have to do is train gallente BS and large autocannon spec and that easily slides you over.

Nobody said it will be a quick transition, you will definitely be missioning for at least a month in your mael before getting into a mach/varg
Nahira Day
Doomheim
#8 - 2013-07-26 11:22:32 UTC
If your friend is not that into Mach/Vargur (let's see what happens with this ships in the near future) you now have a second line of progression with missiles/drones:

Breacher -> Belicose -> Cyclone -> Typhoon

Kosetzu
The Black Crow Bandits
Northern Coalition.
#9 - 2013-07-26 11:23:31 UTC
Minmatar does have a missile lineup now that their ships have been rebalanced.

Breacher -> Talwar -> Bellicose -> Cyclone -> Typhoon
(Frigate) -> (Destroyer) -> (Cruiser) -> (Battlecruiser) -> (Battleship)

Bear in mind I haven't tested them out as I don't have missile skills so I can't attest for if they compete with the turret ships (not counting the guns vs missiles arguments).

For the turret lineup it might be easier with meta artillery for low skilled pilots as rats in lvl 1-3 missions dies so quickly, but for lvl 4's I'd recommend autocannons (even for the Maelstrom). Artillery/Autocannon discussion is somewhat preferential though, and you should fly what you like, NOT what people says you must fly with.
Nahira Day
Doomheim
#10 - 2013-07-26 11:34:02 UTC
Kosetzu wrote:
Artillery/Autocannon discussion is somewhat preferential though, and you should fly what you like, NOT what people says you must fly with.

^^ This.

I'm in the opinion that maelstrom with:
Low skills and Arties = safer
With improved skills and ACs = more fun and dangerous
Even better skills and ACs = cakewalk

But last time my alt did a mission was 4 years ago or something, at that time there was no MWD in missions.
Things my have changed a lot with missions/tactics since then. If one day I get to missions again I'll may try the missile path.

Caitlyn Tufy
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-07-26 12:55:21 UTC
Nahira Day wrote:
But last time my alt did a mission was 4 years ago or something, at that time there was no MWD in missions.
Things my have changed a lot with missions/tactics since then. If one day I get to missions again I'll may try the missile path.

Given that the Maelstrom turns like a half sleeping dinosaur engulfed in quicksand and has the capacitor of a mosquito, I wouldn't try that, tbh.

As for the missile path, it's good enough, not as focused as the Caldari one, but it works for the most part.
Marc Callan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-07-26 13:18:51 UTC
For a missioning Maelstrom, even if you've skilled up for T2 autocannons, it might not be a bad idea to keep a rack of artillery handy for missions against long-range kiting rats like Guristas. The Mael doesn't have the falloff bonus of the Vargur or Machariel, after all.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Freighdee Katt
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-07-26 13:31:14 UTC
Shizu Eisenkreuz wrote:
While we are talking about Minmatar progression, is there a logical step between Maelstrom and Machariel?

I'm not having any trouble in L4s with my Maelstrom, but it's getting boring. A Machariel is still quite far away, both because of the price and because I have a bunch of stuff to train before Gallente BS.

Maybe a Tempest fleet issue? Or should I simply progress with better modules on my Maelstrom?

TFI sadly is worse than either a Maelstrom or Mach in every possible way, at least for PvE. The only thing it brings to the table is a little more EHP and lots of useless low slots, which even if you throw some nanos in will not make it into a Mach. Its tank is terrible, and it doesn't have the speed or bonuses needed to sig tank or dictate range and project damage like the Mach does.

The reason the Mach is so expensive is because you will complete missions in 1/5 the time compared to the alternatives like the Mael, so just keep that in mind when you're setting your priorities. Running L4s in the Mael is borderline unbearable because of it's glacial speed and inability to do anything other than sit around like a bump on a log soaking up damage and getting speed tanked by everything.

The Mach is fitted and flown in a completely different way, because most of its tank is from its low sig and high speed, and you can dictate range on any NPC target, making it easy to one shot even elite frigates. The only thing that can ever slow you down in it are the missions where you get dropped into a room on top of five elite frigs that insta-web you. In that case, you'll need to rely on drones to unstuck yourself (and that's pretty much the only time you ever need to launch them).

EvE is supposed to suck.  Wait . . . what was the question?

Zor'katar
Matari Recreation
#14 - 2013-07-26 13:48:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Zor'katar
Freighdee Katt wrote:
The reason the Mach is so expensive is because you will complete missions in 1/5 the time compared to the alternatives like the Mael, so just keep that in mind when you're setting your priorities.

I agree with most of your analysis (although undecided about the TFI), but I'm extremely dubious of that number.
Tobias Hareka
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-07-26 13:57:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Tobias Hareka
Jack Morrison wrote:
Anna Verhyldvar wrote:
Paikis wrote:

I would actually suggest you use 1200s (or 14000s if they fit) on the Maelstrom. You will hit for about 50% damage at 40km which combined with a slow boat increases the time it takes to finish a mission. So Arties - even if they have a bit less paper dps.

No, you deal ~87-90% damage at 40km with 1400s. You will deal ~50% damage at 83-86km. Assuming we are talking about EMP/Fusion/Phased Plasma here. Mael will pop BSs at 40-50km with two volleys (thats two volleys from all your four groups).
Zor'katar
Matari Recreation
#16 - 2013-07-26 14:07:26 UTC
Tobias Hareka wrote:
Jack Morrison wrote:

No, you deal ~87-90% damage at 40km with 1400s. You will deal ~50% damage at 83-86km. Assuming we are talking about EMP/Fusion/Phased Plasma here. Mael will pop BSs at 40-50km with two volleys (thats two volleys from all your four groups).

I think he was referring to ACs doing 50% damage at 40k.
Roseline Penshar
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-07-26 15:04:16 UTC
if you want the missile path

L1 = talwar
L2 + L3 = cyclone
L4 = typhoon

i use them and it's really good, you need some drone skills though
Anna Verhyldvar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2013-07-26 21:21:30 UTC
Nahira Day wrote:
Kosetzu wrote:
Artillery/Autocannon discussion is somewhat preferential though, and you should fly what you like, NOT what people says you must fly with.

^^ This.

I'm in the opinion that maelstrom with:
Low skills and Arties = safer
With improved skills and ACs = more fun and dangerous
Even better skills and ACs = cakewalk

Can you give an estimate of what "improved skills" means?
Cameron Freerunner
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2013-07-26 22:09:33 UTC
When I first started playing, I went up through L3s with a thrasher. At level 3, I had to fight skirmish style at med/long range, flying perpindicular, etc (actually, all skills you need for pvp, so an excellent training scenario to fight in higher level than your ship).

Eventually I switched to a passive Hurricane (don't know if that works these days) and then into a Mael. An artillery mael works just fine for l4s. No need to switch to close range or anything. No need for faction ships either. Save your ISK.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#20 - 2013-07-27 09:16:08 UTC
Paikis wrote:

Yep. And then back to a Slasher when you realise that missions are not what makes this game shine.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

12Next page