These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Meta LVs ?

Author
Trebor Nebail
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-07-26 14:41:36 UTC
I know the higher the Meta LV, the better performance of the fit, but just what is Meta it self ?

All good things must end with a violent explosion of frozen vapor and gases in the vastness of space.

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#2 - 2013-07-26 15:01:39 UTC
if you right-click on an item and then click on 'show info', you will see a window with several tabs. click on the 'attributes' tab and look through the attributes. you will find an entry for meta level there (if the item indeed has a meta level).

I should buy an Ishtar.

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#3 - 2013-07-26 15:04:49 UTC
First of all higher meta level does not directly correspond to higher performance. It does so in many cases, but often it comes at a decrease in performance in another area or it is just equal to a lower meta level module.

As for the question about meta itself, meta usually refers to "outside something", so metaphysics for example means outside physics. Usually when used within a game and I would include meta levels in this category, it refers to outside the game or at least allowing external factor to influence how the game is played. So these levels don't exist in the game world, but are just a way of classification, that allows the modules to easily be put in order for the benefit of the players/developers.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#4 - 2013-07-26 15:13:39 UTC
Meta level is an index number for a set of monotonically increasing or decreasing statistics.

Say your 'widget' Meta 0 module has stats like:
Stuff: X
Things: Y
Bogeys: Z
Misc: Q

Increasing the meta to 1 might give you:
Stuff: X + 2
Bogeys: Z + 1
Misc: Q - 3

And meta 2 might give you:
Stuff: X + 4
Bogeys: Z + 2
Misc: Q - 6

And so on. So when you're looking at whether to buy something of higher level, you should ask yourself, roughly in this order:

-- What stats does meta level increase? Which does it decrease? (Note that among these stats are CPU and PG cost and the capacitor cost of the module, which can be more important than the actual module effect.)

-- Do I actually care about the stats that meta level changes? (Not a trivial question-- for instance, the answer with tackle modules tends to be "no, not really".

-- Are the changes worth the difference in price to me? (Again, not a rhetorical question-- prices equilibrate according to the demand of people that NEED that module. Especially for modules where the main scaling is PG/CPU cost, you only need to upgrade to the point the module fits, going further gives you nothing.)

Additionally, be aware that the meta 5 module (aka the Tech 2 module) version is probably substantially different from the progression of the m0-m4 and m6-m13 modules. T2 stuff has a lot of additional balancing factors based on manufacturing costs, as they are player-made and not harvested from NPCs, which can seem nonsensical to people not familiar with the game's manufacturing logistics. It usually works out to them having a higher effect, but also a higher PG cost, the latter balanced by the fact that they are usually cheaper than m4 gear.

Final note, "higher meta is better" is not a good rule of thumb. Like ship size, it's somewhat situational, and some meta increases are outright useless or even counterproductive in certain situations. Meta levels that scale up fitting costs, for instance, can cause your fit to no longer work.
Ilkahn
Ideal Mechanisms
#5 - 2013-07-26 16:40:15 UTC
TL:DR

Meta Level - A quality Indicator

The higher the meta the more effect it has on (1) module performance (2) easier fitting requirements (3) increased durations, ranges, damage etc. or (4) a combination of above effects.
Thomas Builder
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-07-26 19:17:30 UTC
Lost Greybeard wrote:
Meta level is an index number for a set of monotonically increasing or decreasing statistics.
That is overly simplified. It's true for the vast majority of Meta0 to Meta4 levels (but even there are odd exceptions), however higher meta levels usually have their own rules.

Although for a beginner, the simplification is usually enough.

E.g. Statis Webs
CPU costs from Meta 0 to 4 go 25, 20, 23, 21, 22. Definitely not monotonic (one of those rare exceptions)
Web strength goes 50%, 52.5%, 55%, 57.5%, 60%. A very nice, linear monotonic increase.
They all have the same range: 10km

However, the higher Meta variants have their own rules - the increase is no longer linear and they increase the range.
E.g. there are four different Meta 9 webs, and it's not only their name that differs, but even their stats:

• 18 CPU, 14km, 55%
  • 18 CPU, 15km, 50%
  • 25 CPU, 14km, 60%
  • 25 CPU, 15km, 55%
Marc Callan
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#7 - 2013-07-27 07:56:13 UTC
"Meta" also seems to have a bit of a parallel to the rarity of the drops from NPC's, which is sometimes (but not always) reflected in the item's asking price on the open market. Two exceptions: meta 0 modules are basic Tech I, no longer dropped but always manufactured by players, and meta 5 modules are Tech II, again always manufactured by players. Their prices are also based on demand, but with a floor determined by their manufacturing cost.

Sometimes a Tech II (meta 5) module will be measurably superior to a meta 4 module (such as a Tech II warp disruptor, with 20% better range than the meta 4, or Tech II shield or armor hardeners), and sometimes the meta 4 will actually be superior to the Tech II (for example, meta 4 ECM jammers perform just as well as Tech II versions, and have more forgiving fitting requirements and handle overheating better). An odd example is Tech II turrets, which have the same paper performance as meta 4 versions, but in practice always perform better because they're buffed by an additional skill, plus allowing specialty ammuition that the meta guns can't handle. (The downside is that they demand much more CPU and powergrid than the meta versions.)

A Tech II module just about always has a higher skill requirement than its meta equivalent, too. That can limit demand a bit, and lead to funny pricing situations, such as the meta 4 heavy missile launcher (the "Arbalest") selling for five times the price of the Tech II heavy missile launcher.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Paul Panala
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-07-29 16:22:18 UTC
Trebor Nebail wrote:
I know the higher the Meta LV, the better performance of the fit, but just what is Meta it self ?

I think most of the replies missed your question. In this context the word meta can mean one of two things. It could mean extra information. For example, when you take a picture and your camera stores the shutter speed in the file, that is considered metadata. In games, meta also refers to the underling story of the game. Neither fit exactly, so I honestly don't know why CCP chose that word.

Higher meta is almost always better. In some cases they are harder to fit, but that isn't even always true. Unless price or fitting room is a factor, higher meta is almost always better. For example, the meta 3 tackle mods are popular before they perform almost as well as meta 4, but have a cheaper fitting and price.
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#9 - 2013-07-29 18:15:58 UTC
Paul Panala wrote:
Trebor Nebail wrote:

I think most of the replies missed your question. In this context the word meta can mean one of two things. It could mean extra information. For example, when you take a picture and your camera stores the shutter speed in the file, that is considered metadata. In games, meta also refers to the underling story of the game. Neither fit exactly, so I honestly don't know why CCP chose that word.

Higher meta is almost always better. In some cases they are harder to fit, but that isn't even always true. Unless price or fitting room is a factor, higher meta is almost always better. For example, the meta 3 tackle mods are popular before they perform almost as well as meta 4, but have a cheaper fitting and price.

Meta data is normally data about data.

Like data about the picture in the example above.

And meta gaming can be explained as the game about the game.

So the 'Metal level' assigned to various stuff in EvE is simply a quick index to an objects data or stats.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.