These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Agents and Standing - Newbie Decision with Long term effect need help

Author
Ominyx Antollar
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-07-24 00:55:33 UTC
I started as a Gallente and I'm currently in the Verge Vendor Region.

I want to start running some missions, and eventually run L4 missions, maybe join a corp and do the L5s, who knows what else. My dilemma is I don't know where to look to find out who and where I should run missions for and what repercussions my uninformed choice will have in the long run.

What kind of long term rewards should i be looking for, are there any? What's a good resource to know who it's worth running missions for.

I just don't want to blindly start running missions and then wish I had known to run them for X instead of Y a month down the road.

Thanks in advance for any tips or straight up suggestions.
DeAira
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-07-24 02:14:53 UTC
Well, you could do the Jump Clone grind.

Learn from me and first make sure the corp you are grinding has medical clones in their stations before grinding it to 8 ....

#justice4VileRat

Solai
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-07-24 02:38:35 UTC
Good point.

One popular thing is to do is grind the corp standings of a station you use a lot. Many traders grind missions for the corp that runs Jita 4-4, for example. Or perhaps Amarr, Rens, Dodixie, Hek.

I suggest joining a corp sooner rather than later, make sure you're getting access to a good spread of activities. Eve isn't particularly about the (rather sub-par) missioning system.

But regarding NPC corps, this site may help along the way.
http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/npc_corporation_search.php
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-07-24 03:19:26 UTC
Eventually, even with diplomacy 5 trained, 2 factions won't like you very much
Running Gallente missions means the 2 faction standings that will deteriorate over time are Caldari & Amarr

It's not the basic missions that cause this, but the 'Storyline Offers' you get after you've done 16 normal missions
You won't totally lose access to half of hi-sec, just half of it will become annoying & irritating to fly through

Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#5 - 2013-07-24 06:17:10 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:
Running Gallente missions means the 2 faction standings that will deteriorate over time are Caldari & Amarr

It´s not that bad if you are careful.

Basically, you just have to alternate for whom you are running (storyline) missions; up to a certain point, the standing gain will be greater than the loss. Also, some minor Factions give some selected great derived standing gains with little standing loss (the Sisters of Eve Faction is great for this). I have Connections only to IV but access to Level 4 missions with 2 Empire Factions and various other, smaller Factions and Level 3 with the other 2 Empire Factions and all other minor Factions.
So, it´s entirely possible to balance your standings out. It does require a good deal of grinding, though (strictly avoiding any anti-Empire missions and regularly running the SoE Epic Arc helps a lot here).

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-07-24 07:55:28 UTC
Ominyx Antollar wrote:
I started as a Gallente and I'm currently in the Verge Vendor Region.

I want to start running some missions, and eventually run L4 missions, maybe join a corp and do the L5s, who knows what else. My dilemma is I don't know where to look to find out who and where I should run missions for and what repercussions my uninformed choice will have in the long run.

What kind of long term rewards should i be looking for, are there any? What's a good resource to know who it's worth running missions for.

I just don't want to blindly start running missions and then wish I had known to run them for X instead of Y a month down the road.

Thanks in advance for any tips or straight up suggestions.

Well, sometime in the future you just might need to use 'The Plan', especially if you concentrate on doing missions for one specific Faction.

Course you could just work those Event Agents to quickly build up your standings with all Empire Factions.

DMC
erg cz
ErgoDron
#7 - 2013-07-24 08:35:58 UTC  |  Edited by: erg cz
Ominyx Antollar wrote:
I started as a Gallente and...
I want to start running some missions, and eventually run L4 missions,

Hi.

I am exact in the same situation as you. When I started I planned to go exploration career, but Odyssey patch ruined those plans since exploration loot prices droped to oblivion.

So I decided to go do missions. I created my own one-man corporation, so someone's corporation standings will not affect my standings toward Gallente and to avoid taxes (NPC corp like the one you are in now has 11% taxes). I also play with the idea of building my own home one day (player-owned starbase) to open industrial path, if I ever go that far. To build a PoS I need Gallente faction standing over 6. There are ways, how to bypass grind - some corps with high standings wil let yuou join for a fee so you can create yourself jump clone and PoS. But I take this game as a game and want to enjoy working that path myself.

So I used Dotlan maps to study my location in a sence of local NPC corporations, that offer agents services. I found out, that Chemal Tech and Alliastra both has stations in null, where I can make a jump clone. Later on I found out, that it is not that important, since you can move you jump clone anywhere. I checked agent locations of those corps and now I am running level 3 missions for Chemal Tech. In Sinq Laison, where I play, agents of this corporation offer level 1 to level 3 missions in a calm, rather unpopulated high or low sec systems. I do not have much concurence if I feel like doing explorations and I am not in that big danger if I run missions in low sec.

So long story short:
1. Use dotlan maps to look for NPC corp to work with.
2. Choose only security missions agents. If you find security mission agent close to Story line agent - that is the right place to be.
3. Do Epic Mission Arcs mission circle before you standing to some faction drops below -5. This mission chain can be repeated each 3 months and gives you sagnificant boost in faction standings.
4. level2 agents are opened after you get standing 1 toward corp or faction, but level 3 agents are opened first after you hit level 3 standings.
5. level 3 missions are doable in cruiser, but you will lose to much time working on them. Get a battle cruiser fo them. Or shuttle - some mission do not require shooting.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-07-24 08:44:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Elena Thiesant
erg cz wrote:
To build a PoS I need Gallente faction standing over 8.

Over 5 (to anchor in a 0.5 system). Faction standing required to anchor a POS is 10x(system security)

8 is the standing with an NPC corp needed for jump clones (corp standing, not faction)
erg cz
ErgoDron
#9 - 2013-07-24 09:02:10 UTC
Sorry, I meant 6 - since I choosen system with 0.6 security.
Woeful Animation
Ascendent.
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#10 - 2013-07-25 14:05:05 UTC
Because you are in Gallente space the following may be counter-intuitive. Consider grinding out missions for Republic Security Services and then Corp of your in Gallente.

I am in the clone grind with RSS. From my base, its easy the mission levels 1-5 are all within 3 systems. There is support close by for ammo and drones and since RSS is all over both Gallente and Minny space, I will have a high standings with corps that has stations located on both sides of Empire space. This gives me a lot of flexibility.

Another consideration. If you see yourself in the research business at some point in the future, consider grinding with one of the Corps with R&D facilities. Standings with those Corps appear to affect your R&D capabilities.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#11 - 2013-07-26 07:24:00 UTC
DeAira wrote:
Well, you could do the Jump Clone grind.Learn from me and first make sure the corp you are grinding has medical clones in their stations before grinding it to 8 ....

Also don't pick a NPC corp with players in it, like I did. You lose standings for shooting their members. One is enough to lock you out of Jump Clones, and any NBSI behaviour outside of hisec will see your standings drop fast enough to lock you out of missions. Pick a NPC corp that has medical facilities, but no player members.
Ilkahn
Ideal Mechanisms
#12 - 2013-07-26 13:46:46 UTC
Run for Federation Navy, but try to avoid taking to many missions against the Amarr/Caldari. Fed Navy has the capability to allow you to make jump clones.

Rodens Ship Yards has excellent missions with the majority vs NPC. The drawback is that they don't have med bays to make jump clones and you'll want those Jump Clones.

If you are truely worried about faction standings, then my best advice is to run for Fed Navy till your Caldari is around -1.5 or so then relocate to Caldari Space and Run for someone like Corporate Police Force over there till you bring those standings back to 0.

Rinse and repeat.
Silas Sedal
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-07-26 20:01:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Silas Sedal
Kitty Bear wrote:

It's not the basic missions that cause this, but the 'Storyline Offers' you get after you've done 16 normal missions
You won't totally lose access to half of hi-sec, just half of it will become annoying & irritating to fly through

This isn't entirely true. While grinding out Brutor faction standing in Rens I noticed that my Amarr, and to a lesser extent Caldari standings were taking hits even on non-story missions. Not on every mission, mind you. But nevertheless they were being effected by ordinary level II (edit: security) missions and sometimes by up to two-tenths of a point; even with Diplomacy 3! Needless to say I was surprised. I thought it was only story missions that could change standing, but clearly this isn't so.

As well, while traveling into Amarr controlled space and doing the career missions to repair my standing, after completing the tenth career mission for an agent I also saw my standing taking a hit, only this time Minmatar/Gallente.

So yeah, it seems story missions are only one type of several that will change your faction standings. To any new players, let me advise checking your standings after every round of turn-ins to see exactly what missions are altering what standing.

Simply the worst capsuleer there's ever been.

Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-07-26 20:39:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Elena Thiesant
Silas Sedal wrote:
This isn't entirely true. While grinding out Brutor faction standing in Rens I noticed that my Amarr, and to a lesser extent Caldari standings were taking hits even on non-story missions. Not on every mission, mind you. But nevertheless they were being effected by ordinary level II (edit: security) missions and sometimes by up to two-tenths of a point; even with Diplomacy 3! Needless to say I was surprised. I thought it was only story missions that could change standing, but clearly this isn't so.

Because you were taking anti-faction missions and shooting Amarr and Caldari ships. The governments don't really like people shooting their ships, so when you take anti-faction missions, you'll see your standing to those factions drop.

If you decline those missions and only run missions against pirates, mercs and whatnot, your faction standings will only change when you run storyline missions, up for the faction you're missioning for and their ally, down for the other two.

The last mission for each of the career agents is considered a storyline, hence the change in faction standings for running that.
Silas Sedal
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-07-26 20:52:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Silas Sedal
Elena Thiesant wrote:
Silas Sedal wrote:

Because you were taking anti-faction missions and shooting Amarr and Caldari ships. The governments don't really like people shooting their ships, so when you take anti-faction missions, you'll see your standing to those factions drop.

If you decline those missions and only run missions against pirates, mercs and whatnot, your faction standings will only change when you run storyline missions, up for the faction you're missioning for and their ally, down for the other two.

Thing is, though, I've done security missions out of Rens where I had to kill some Caldari Navy pilots and received no faction hit after the turn-in. I know this to be so because I've gotten in the habit of checking my standings both after completing a mission and when turning it in. Further, I've done story quests that entailed nothing more than delivering Scordite to a neighboring system, no combat involved whatsoever, that had my standings taking hits. I'm not sure what sense either scenario makes, frankly.

As I mentioned, too; doing career missions will also alter standing. Having done some Amarr career missions that saw me do nothing more than kill a few pirates or learn how to use the exploration modules damaged both my Minmatar and Gallente standings upon completing the series.

Silas Sedal
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2013-07-26 21:00:28 UTC
Elena Thiesant wrote:
[quote=Silas Sedal]The last mission for each of the career agents is considered a storyline, hence the change in faction standings for running that.

Sorry, noticed this edit after I'd already replied.

Anyway, this being the case, is it reflected in the mission dialogue before you accept? Not that faction standings aren't able to be repaired, of course, but it would at least be nice to know beforehand if one's standings will take a hit during the course of a mission.

Up until a few days ago, I honestly only thought standing could be altered via story missions. *shrug*

Thomas Builder
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-07-26 21:05:38 UTC
Silas Sedal wrote:
Anyway, this being the case, is it reflected in the mission dialogue before you accept?
Yes.

Although a true Newbie probably has no idea what exactly that message in bold light gray truly means. E.g. it mentions faction standings, but not that'll lower your standings with the other factions.
Silas Sedal
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2013-07-26 21:09:28 UTC
Thomas Builder wrote:
Silas Sedal wrote:
Anyway, this being the case, is it reflected in the mission dialogue before you accept?
Yes.

Although a true Newbie probably has no idea what exactly that message in bold light gray truly means. E.g. it mentions faction standings, but not that'll lower your standings with the other factions.

To be fair, I know story missions come with such a disclaimer. But again, the tenth mission of a career arc will say the same?

I'll come right out and say I probably just accepted the career missions I did yesterday without paying attention to what the tenth mission's dialogue said. Nevertheless I was just hoping for some clarity.

Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-07-26 21:09:57 UTC
Silas Sedal wrote:
Thing is, though, I've done security missions out of Rens where I had to kill some Caldari Navy pilots and received no faction hit after the turn-in.

There was a bug for a few months where the faction hit didn't apply. It appears to be fixed now because I took a hell of a standing drop from Amarr recently for an anti-faction mission.

Also, it's not after turn in, you get the standing hit from killing the ships and it can be delayed a little. I suspect before Odyssey it had the same 20 min cycles as security standing, so you could kill ships, check your standing, see no change and then have the standing hit apply just after.

Quote:
Anyway, this being the case, is it reflected in the mission dialogue before you accept? Not that faction standings aren't able to be repaired, of course, but it would at least be nice to know beforehand if one's standings will take a hit during the course of a mission.

Yes it is. They have the same text as storyline missions, something about "This is an important mission that will have consequences to your standing, blah, blah, blah."

You get an increase to the faction you're running the mission for, a small derived standings increase for their apply, a small derived standings drop for their enemy and a very small derived standings drop for their ally's enemy.

Do a storyline for Amarr and you get an increase to Amarr standings, a small increase to Caldari, a small decrease to Minmatar and a very small decrease to Gallente.
Silas Sedal
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2013-07-26 21:18:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Silas Sedal
Elena Thiesant wrote:
There was a bug for a few months where the faction hit didn't apply. It appears to be fixed now because I took a hell of a standing drop from Amarr recently for an anti-faction mission.

Also, it's not after turn in, you get the standing hit from killing the ships and it can be delayed a little. I suspect before Odyssey it had the same 20 min cycles as security standing, so you could kill ships, check your standing, see no change and then have the standing hit apply just after.

Interesting. I've killed countless Caldari in the course of grinding out security missions and their standing with me has never really taken much of a hit at all. Far, far less than the Amarr anyway. I mean, I've got hundreds of Caldari tags, literally, and my faction standing with them has never dropped below -2 even without Diplomacy in play.

I'll continue to keep an eye out and see if I'm missing anything, though.

Elena Thiesant wrote:
Quote:

Yes it is. They have the same text as storyline missions, something about "This is an important mission that will have consequences to your standing, blah, blah, blah."

You get an increase to the faction you're running the mission for, a small derived standings increase for their apply, a small derived standings drop for their enemy and a very small derived standings drop for their ally's enemy.

Do a storyline for Amarr and you get an increase to Amarr standings, a small increase to Caldari, a small decrease to Minmatar and a very small decrease to Gallente.

Yeah, as I mentioned it's entirely possible I clicked the tenth mission without reading the full text.