These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Drone Carriers

Author
Aiwha
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#21 - 2013-07-25 01:36:39 UTC
Tier III battleships still need a Tech 2 version. Givng them the ability to launch 5 fighters (highsec would have fighters again) or launch extra drones would definitely be cool.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Destoya
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#22 - 2013-07-25 01:39:21 UTC
You mean like the current Vexor Navy Issue/Gila and the future Ishtar? (carriers and supercarrier as well but I'll exclude for the sake of argument) Even the Dominix and Arbitrator pretty much fits this mold; the guns are not bonused and in many cases it relies purely on the strength of it's drone bay

By current design choices on ships like the ishtar it's also a very high probability that at least one of the updated versions of the Eos and Sin will also have the majority of non-drone damage removed, adding yet another good drone ship to the fray.

Really, there are far more drone ships nowadays than missile ships, so I'm not entirely sure where you are going with that comment.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#23 - 2013-07-25 02:12:13 UTC
Destoya wrote:
You mean like the current Vexor Navy Issue/Gila and the future Ishtar? (carriers and supercarrier as well but I'll exclude for the sake of argument) Even the Dominix and Arbitrator pretty much fits this mold; the guns are not bonused and in many cases it relies purely on the strength of it's drone bay

No, he means like a ship that has no hardpoints at all. No ubonused turrets, no unbonused missiles; they're not even an option for the highs.
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#24 - 2013-07-25 04:40:11 UTC
In b4 nerf Smartbombs.

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#25 - 2013-07-25 09:55:46 UTC
tl;dr drugs are bad

(insert suicide solution suggestion)
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-07-25 11:22:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Debora Tsung
I want to have a ship that can launch a hundret scout drones at once.

I'd unleash them at my enemies cackling and laughing maniacally while all they could do is crying in pain and terror "OH GAWD THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!".

I'd watch their ships hulls dissolve in a torrent of drone blaster fire, see their metal innards spilled into space in glorious streams of glittering, burning debris while their hapeless cries for mercy would slowly fade into the all encompassing white noise of my madness.

It'd be awesome, I'd never stop playing.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

HalfArse
Wixo Trading Co.
#27 - 2013-07-25 11:36:21 UTC
all the people saying drone boats can put out around 1000 dps are really missing the point.

ppl are asking for DRONES to do comparable damage - those fits ppl post rely on blasters. ATM a drone boat isnt all about its drones - its about guns with a few drones to pad a little extra dps.

Id love to see a propper drone boat - one that can put out 10 drones or at least bonus's that makes 5 drones dps on par with gun ships - as pointed out previously the missile/turret hardpoints would all have to be removed but still need high slots for some drone mods.
Ruskarn Andedare
Lion Investments
#28 - 2013-07-25 13:32:56 UTC
Debora Tsung wrote:

I'd unleash them at my enemies cackling and laughing maniacally while all they could do is crying in pain and terror "OH GAWD THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!".

I'd watch their ships hulls dissolve in a torrent of drone blaster fire, see their metal innards spilled into space in glorious streams of glittering, burning debris while their hapeless cries for mercy would slowly fade into the all encompassing white noise of my madness.

19 alts so you can fly 20 Tristans in formation using isboxer, all the drones assigned to one ship so they act together.

Would that do as a substitute for now?
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#29 - 2013-07-25 14:41:24 UTC
Ruskarn Andedare wrote:
Debora Tsung wrote:

19 alts so you can fly 20 Tristans in formation using isboxer, all the drones assigned to one ship so they act together.

Would that do as a substitute for now?

Adeqate, if barely.

Once I did that I can write a book, "ISBoxer and the army of you."

Or something like that.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

IHaveCandyGetInTheVan69
Crouching Woman Hidden Cucumber
#30 - 2013-07-25 15:57:15 UTC
This thread pops up every 6 months or so, the general jist is 'CCP give me a cheap high sec carrier'

That said I'm surprised that it is being suggested again now, given that drone boats are arguably at their most powerful since about 2005. Sentry drones are featuring in major fleet doctrines and they are highly favoured within the alliance tournament (although the AT is very different to real Eve, I accept).
Chic Botany
Doomheim
#31 - 2013-07-25 19:16:14 UTC
OK, CCP decide to build a purely drone boat, average tanking capabilities based on a battleship hull.

Ship bonus could be either range or damage per level, 700m3 drone bay or so, to allow for some choice in drones.

Then come the posts

Waah, CCP mission rats are eating my drones alive, they're targeting them even though I had full aggro. Roll
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#32 - 2013-07-25 19:51:46 UTC
Chic Botany wrote:
OK, CCP decide to build a purely drone boat, average tanking capabilities based on a battleship hull.

Ship bonus could be either range or damage per level, 700m3 drone bay or so, to allow for some choice in drones.

Then come the posts

Waah, CCP mission rats are eating my drones alive, they're targeting them even though I had full aggro. Roll

The dominix has what kinds of bonuses, it's all drone bonuses now right?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Marwolaeth Arglwydd
Alternate Powers
#33 - 2013-07-25 20:02:23 UTC
Something like what was discussed here?

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=108615
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#34 - 2013-07-25 20:29:32 UTC

Perhaps what we need is a new massive ship that can launch a thousand or so drones at once. Before introducing on a wide scale though, it should go through testing.

I propose we test such a ship in Fountain. We can play rock, paper, scissors to decide which side gets it.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#35 - 2013-07-25 21:21:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Lipbite
1) first it could be nice for NPCs to stop chewing drones non-stop and

2) where were so many wonderful ideas for EVE on these forums (like this one) - I'm looking forward to see many of them implemented in Star Citizen. Because CCP is distracted by Dust.
Just Lilly
#36 - 2013-07-25 21:49:38 UTC
Lore wise, it would be a big no no.

Research got banned iirc, out of fear from what happened the last time...

I'm not 100% sure about the lore though, but I believe I've read somewhere about a drone research "accident"...

It's safe to blame this one on the Gallente though Blink