These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Remove local list (make all local like w-space)

First post
Author
Stan Smith
Ixian Machines
#61 - 2011-11-10 06:06:05 UTC
there's no way for concord to know you're in a system? you have to travel through stargates! they know what system you're in because you've traveled through a gate and concord knows in what system you're in. its just like the way you can be tracked with something like ezpass, smart tag, whatever it's called. there's a record of you getting on the road, and a record of you getting off. no record of you leaving, there's a good chance you're on the road.
if you use a stargate, you should appear in local

pirates get into highsec via jump bridges of some sort, therefore their presence is not known by the gate watchers

there, i just gave you two lore reasons why you should keep local

☻/ /▌ / \ This is Bob, post him into your forum sig and help him conquer the forums.

FluffyDice
Kronos Research
#62 - 2011-11-10 06:09:50 UTC
I though the story with concord was the ever useful "jovians showed them how" explanation?
Wen Jaibao
Perkone
Caldari State
#63 - 2011-11-10 06:18:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Wen Jaibao
Stan Smith wrote:
there's no way for concord to know you're in a system? you have to travel through stargates! they know what system you're in because you've traveled through a gate and concord knows in what system you're in. its just like the way you can be tracked with something like ezpass, smart tag, whatever it's called. there's a record of you getting on the road, and a record of you getting off. no record of you leaving, there's a good chance you're on the road.
if you use a stargate, you should appear in local

pirates get into highsec via jump bridges of some sort, therefore their presence is not known by the gate watchers

there, i just gave you two lore reasons why you should keep local

All of that is indeed supported by lore and I accept that as how things should be, especially in empire space (0.0 is up for debate, another topic)

So explain to me why, according to the lore, I would appear in local after entering system from a wormhole.
Kietay Ayari
Caldari State
#64 - 2011-11-10 06:21:15 UTC
I would not mind if they removed the list of players in Local, but please don't remove the ability to talk in Local... If I cannot talk to the people killing me what is the point in dying? Thank you in advance.

Ferox #1

Sicex
#65 - 2011-11-10 07:47:04 UTC
This is an old topic to be sure... but I have always thought it would be so lovely as a predator.

Expect tidal waves of miners' tears as now they can only start to react if we jump into their belt, etc... would love to see the adaptations.

On the plus side, it supports the RP community immensely as it would develop a true sense of hi sec or 'civilized space' WITH a local chat channel, versus the unsupported 'wild space' of low sec WITHOUT the local chat channel.

The main negative to the devs is that is makes low sec that much scarier. The Golden Idea that will win all the iskies is how to move hi sec players into low sec. Unfortunately making low sec harder and scarier is not difficult to non-combat pilots...
EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#66 - 2011-11-10 07:49:11 UTC
its like a god damn broken record in this forum
Sicex
#67 - 2011-11-10 07:51:23 UTC
EI Digin wrote:

Those that recognize the cycle also recognize it's pointless to point it out.
EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#68 - 2011-11-10 07:52:44 UTC
Sicex wrote:
EI Digin wrote:

Those that recognize the cycle also recognize it's pointless to point it out.

you are blowing my feeble goonpet mind
Xavier Quo
Ashfell Celestial Corporation
Ashfell Federation
#69 - 2011-11-10 10:58:53 UTC
hi sec should have it
in lo sec it should be intermittent/unreliable or not there
npc null, maybe shouldn't have it
null local channel should be controlled by sov holder (i.e. they choose to be on it or not but you don't, and you don't see it)
local should be hackable/manipulatable with a module &/or skill (to remove yourself from it)

like the cloaking idea

going out into the great unknown and still having a little cast iron accurate and up to date list of whose in the system without any explanation of how it works, what kind of signals you are giving out (esp if you set up your ship to be hard to probe, lol) or who owns it is incredibly jarring.
Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#70 - 2011-11-10 11:00:13 UTC
Xavier Quo wrote:
null local channel should be controlled by sov holder (i.e. they choose to be on it or not but you don't, and you don't see it)

This is the first good idea in the thread.

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#71 - 2011-11-10 11:12:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Kidd
Andski wrote:
because removing local is a stupid ******* idea that will do nothing for the game

I just spent a few days ominously afk cloaked in someone's WH with very dramatic effects. Local had nothing to do with it. Noone needs local except the bots. You just have to remind the inhabitants occasionally that you're there. And there are a plethora of ways to do so: kill the occasional and random PI hauler, mining hulk, show up on dscan.

Don't ban me, bro!

Arrs Grazznic
Poena Executive Solutions
#72 - 2011-11-10 12:05:29 UTC
Jodis Talvanen wrote:
REMOVE LOCAL

I wonder why no one has thought of this before? Roll
Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#73 - 2011-11-10 12:05:31 UTC
Confirming that instant and omniscient local needs to go away. PvEers might have to have a CAP (combat air patrol) to protect them. OR god forbid, they have to PvP fit their ships.

Don't be stupid and you won't get killed. It's way to easy to stay safe in nulsec. The last time I got killed doing a PvE activity was because I was half asleep ratting in a pipe system. Never even noticed the red in local until he literally popped up on grid in my sanctum. lol, was like, wtf is that? Since when do Guristas fly Cynabals? Why does that strange new rat have a red tag?

Yeah, was funny. Cool story and all that.

Point is that if you don't take unnecessary risks, you don't get killed needlessly. Also, this is an MMO, not a single-player game. IF you try to solo Eve, you will get involuntarily corn-holed. So HTFU and adapt.

IF you are worried about not having someone to talk to, then there must be something wrong with you. You have corp chat, alliance chat (if you're in one) constellation chat, region chat, and any number of voluntary and public corp chats you can join. There is no shortage of chat channels, so stop using that as an excuse.

"I need local intel to find gudfites!" Yeah, starmap is your friend. Along with actual friends who go out and scout you some fights. You still have your intel channels. Put your intel alt on the friggin gate instead of at a safe.

Get rid of instant local intel!

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

MaiLina KaTar
Katar Corp
#74 - 2011-11-10 12:28:10 UTC
Sicex wrote:
The main negative to the devs is that is makes low sec that much scarier. The Golden Idea that will win all the iskies is how to move hi sec players into low sec. Unfortunately making low sec harder and scarier is not difficult to non-combat pilots...

Removing local would in fact make it easier to move around.

It's much harder right now where everyone and their mum will instantly see you the moment you pop up somewhere. It's impossible to conceal your movement due to local and starmap instantly alerting everyone to your presence.

Furthermore, people should stop believing the stupid hype that removing local would somehow affect social aspects. Players can create chat channels at will. That's all you really need to know to be sure that removing local would have no impact at all on your ability to find and socialize with people.

Removal of local would hurt the major alliances in some ways. That much is true. It's also a good thing.
Solstice Project
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#75 - 2011-11-10 12:59:09 UTC

Lock for no-content please.
Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#76 - 2011-11-10 13:17:21 UTC
Mr Kidd wrote:
Andski wrote:
because removing local is a stupid ******* idea that will do nothing for the game

I just spent a few days ominously afk cloaked in someone's WH with very dramatic effects. Local had nothing to do with it. Noone needs local except the bots. You just have to remind the inhabitants occasionally that you're there. And there are a plethora of ways to do so: kill the occasional and random PI hauler, mining hulk, show up on dscan.

Notice how you never see any threads whing about people afk cloaked in a wormhole? The problem isn't local... it's that you can't hide from local. Even when you're cloaked they can see you. Change that and you add a whole new dynamic to the game.
I still think that The Ultimate Guide to Life, the Universe and Cloaking is a concept that would really add a lot to the game... it would keep some of the dangers of null there, it would kick bots right in the balls, it would add a whole element to small scale PvP and covops groups would be able to actually hunt like they're covert... it would be good.

Six months in the hole... it changes a man.

CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#77 - 2011-11-10 13:36:43 UTC
Please do not create duplicate threads about the same topic, thank you.

Thread locked.

Discussions about this topic can be continued here.

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer