These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

typhoon is bad for shield tank?

First post
Author
Mer88
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-07-20 17:09:23 UTC
i cant even shield tank it due to cpu limits. I dont want to use modules to boost the cpu cuz the tank is already weak i rather use dc or cap regen on the lows. what can i do? i need to have 4 x bcs and at least 1 tp . thanks
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#2 - 2013-07-20 17:37:21 UTC
Hrm? I'm not seeing any issues. What else are you trying to do with it? Cruise or torp? What kind of prop mod, if any?
Mer88
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-07-20 17:53:28 UTC
i have

High
6 t2 cruise launchers

Med
3 t2 shield resist
1 tp
1 xl deadspace shield repair

Low
3x flux coil

Trying to put 4x bcs in the lows

runs out of cpu after putting is 2.
The Djego
Hellequin Inc.
#4 - 2013-07-20 17:58:29 UTC
You can save a lot of CPU with faction hardeners(not that expensive) and a dead space L booster(what provides enough tank for L4 in my opinion).

Improve discharge rigging: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=246166&find=unread

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-07-20 19:37:49 UTC
faction BCS will save cpu
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#6 - 2013-07-20 21:26:28 UTC
Rack of cruise, 4 T2 BCUs, Pith-B LSB, painter, 2 T2 hardeners, and a utility mid (T2 hardener, T2 boost amp -- so you know you have CPU to spare, prop mod) seems to fit just fine. Just drop the XL booster.

As for trying to eke cap out of those last lows... I dunno. CFCs are pretty awkward, CPRs hurt your boost, and PDUs really don't do much for you. I think you're stuck using the rigs for that.
voetius
Grundrisse
#7 - 2013-07-21 08:39:42 UTC

How are your armor tanking skills OP? My armor tanked Typhoon has 1084 dps according to the ingame fitting screen

6 x Cruise II
Drone Link II

100MN Afterburner
2 x Pawnage painter
Medium Capacitor Booster with 800s (+16 in cargo)
Alumel Wired sensor Booster (scripts in cargo)

LAR II
3 x Active Armor Hardener II
3 x BCS II

5 x Hobgoblin II
4 x Sentry II

Large Sentry Damage
Large Aux Nano Pump
Large Nanobot Accelerator

Sentries shoot to 70km+

Very tight fit with 1 cpu left free, I have almost max fitting skills, AWU V, all rigging IV, all fitting skills pretty much maxed and I think I put a 3% cpu hardwire in, so it's a bit tight :)
hellcane
Never Back Down
#8 - 2013-07-21 12:49:41 UTC
Shield is the way to go IMO. It does require slight pimpage but nothing terrible.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#9 - 2013-07-21 16:12:25 UTC
This managed to come up in Ships and Modules on the same day: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=261005&find=unread
Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-07-21 16:48:20 UTC
Armor phoon lives longer than sheild phoon in pve.

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

hellcane
Never Back Down
#11 - 2013-07-21 17:15:23 UTC
Over tanking is bad
Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#12 - 2013-07-22 20:10:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Bugsy VanHalen
Mer88 wrote:
i have

High
6 t2 cruise launchers

Med
3 t2 shield resist
1 tp
1 xl deadspace shield repair

Low
3x flux coil

Trying to put 4x bcs in the lows

runs out of cpu after putting is 2.

Typhoon is a great ship. It does shield tank very well for level 4 missions. however it requires very good skills to make the most of it.

to top up your CPU you can use a rig slot for a processor over clocking rig, plug in a CPU implant and/or the two gen set implants.

As others have said faction hardeners make a huge difference. 16 CPU vs 30. also faction BCS as already mentioned, better DPS boost and less CPU.

drop the flux coils, they are useless, if you need the cap PDS's will be better for you. cap recharge is not worth dropping cap capacity or shield boost amount, unless you are running a passive tank with no booster.

It takes time to build up a decent set of faction modules and know what to fit for what mission. Faction modules are as much worth the isk for the lower fitting requirements as they are for the higher boosts. I would buy a full set of faction hardeners and BCS's before buying a dead space XL booster. The higher resists means you take less damage allowing a lower booster to keep up. While higher DPS means your tank will not need to last as long before you clear the room.

The Fleet typhoon is even better, although it has doubled in price, it is still a good buy.

If you are having so much trouble fitting a typhoon, stick with a raven until you get your skills up and buy the couple faction modules you need for the typhoon fit. My faction fit raven does over 1000 DPS with cruise, has an amazing tank, and can even hit frigates with precision missiles due to the flare and 2 rigor rigs.

I can not get into game right now to post the exact fits I use, but I change it up a lot anyway and have over 50 Mil skill points on both my main mission runners.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#13 - 2013-07-23 11:45:44 UTC
Mer88 wrote:
i cant even shield tank it due to cpu limits. I dont want to use modules to boost the cpu cuz the tank is already weak i rather use dc or cap regen on the lows. what can i do? i need to have 4 x bcs and at least 1 tp . thanks

CN BCUs will free up 16 CPU each compared to T2

Likewise look at faction hardeners.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016