These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Petition for name purging

First post
Author
The Spod
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-07-20 20:55:40 UTC  |  Edited by: The Spod
Rules for making a good name:

- less than 5 letters, less is more
- one of the obvious ones that get reserved during the first hours of final name reservation
- no numbers, no prefixes (like on this crappy name), no typos

e.g.
I played "die" in diablo2 ladder which was the best one I ever managed to snatch. The amazon named LOL topped it easily, though. In eve, the best name would obviously be EVE. In dust beta I played "sniper", "tank", and "duster" but those got sweeped on the move to tranquility. In Perpetuum (a dead mini mech sandbox) I grabbed Mech and Bot and consider those pretty good.
The Spod
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2013-07-20 20:57:20 UTC
On topic:
Resetting the names would just remove all of the value in getting those. If you want the best ones that are inactive, contact the owners and be prepared to pay a fortune (trillions in isk, RL cash not allowed but would be in the thousands range). Or just find a gullible one to give you something cheap.
Mark Androcius
#23 - 2013-07-20 21:01:50 UTC
The Spod wrote:
On topic:
Resetting the names would just remove all of the value in getting those. If you want the best ones that are inactive, contact the owners and be prepared to pay a fortune (trillions in isk, RL cash not allowed but would be in the thousands range). Or just find a gullible one to give you something cheap.

It is kinda hard though, to contact someone in a game that someone doesn't play anymore :P

You can see which players they are, as they have no character image/avatar, which means they are made way before Carbon was introduced ( i think it was carbon that introduced the new characters, i don't remember exactly )
Gawain Edmond
Khanid Bureau of Industry
#24 - 2013-07-20 21:07:40 UTC
hoe do you know they never play have you checked to see if the account the character is on has been inactive? that'd probably count as hacking and get you banned should my character on my account have his name changed even though i've not logged that toon in for a few years
Zaknussem
Everybody Loves Donuts
#25 - 2013-07-20 21:16:39 UTC
There were characters made in EvE upon launch with famous and well-known names with the SPECIFIC intent of selling them on to other players later on for large sums. I say this with 99% certainty.

This applies to big names that came after EvE's launch. There's a webcomic I read that started in 2005. Starting from 2006 and onwards, characters starting appearing in EvE bearing names of persons from that webcomic. From what I can tell, none of them are currently used.

This ALSO applies to the EvE update that allowed a third name to be added, then a surge of new characters were created which I'm guessing are mostly unused nowadays.

I'm still not going to advocate any system that attempts to put these names back into circulation.

If you want your character's name to be recognizable, then ACT and BEHAVE in a manner that does so. Whining until some GM caves in and allows you to be Darth Vader in EvE is not a good way to do so.

Also, the rule of "first come, first serve" applies in EvE. Just like in real life.
Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services
#26 - 2013-07-20 21:26:38 UTC
All my six avatars have a first name and a sur name. Never had a problem finding a new name.

... also I biomassed one character back in 2006. That name might be still available Smile

Don't anger the forum gods.

ISD Buldath:

> I Saw, I came, I Frowned, I locked, I posted, and I left.

Xavier Higdon
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-07-20 21:29:01 UTC
BadAssMcKill wrote:
Seriously come up with something better

I mean Carl Sagan and Neill Degrass Tyson? How Reddit could you even be

I laughed at this, and the guy talking about TV shows. Personally, I hate Carl Sagan. The way he thinks drives me nuts. On topic, however, I think it's best that names of real people or from other popular sci-fi mythology are not in the game. I would also prefer to see a bit more thought put into character names. After all, who names their kid Psychotic *insert random noun here*. That's probably the most prevalent immersion breaking name, though most common is a name with a random string of numbers attached. People will tell the OP to be original, even though most of them have terribly unoriginal names.
Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services
#28 - 2013-07-20 21:32:38 UTC
Xavier Higdon wrote:
I would also prefer to see a bit more thought put into character names. After all, who names their kid Psychotic *insert random noun here*. That's probably the most prevalent immersion breaking name, though most common is a name with a random string of numbers attached.

Totally agree.

btw, I checked: John Noble has been picked up already 11 months ago. Just know that the original was a Minmatar of Sebiestor descent Blink

ISD Buldath:

Shaera Taam
Khanid Prime Free Irregulars
#29 - 2013-07-20 21:33:14 UTC
Be creative. Find a name no one else has. Run with it and be proud of it. Dont rely on someone else's intellectual property to inform you of what is 'cool.'

Be an original. Just like everyone else!

:-D

Thus Spake the Frigate Goddess!

Pesky LaRue
Mercatoris
#30 - 2013-07-20 21:51:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Pesky LaRue
Mark Androcius wrote:

Yet most of the responses i see, are to do with his examples, THEY ARE JUST EXAMPLES PEOPLE!!!

This being said, i don't think you're the first one to come up with this actually..

He isn't and everytime someone DOES come up with this, it's always because they want to use a name from a show or a celebrity. That's why he is drawin flak.

If he had some originality this would be a non-issue, per the comments in the thread.
Skywalker
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2013-07-20 22:18:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Skywalker
It's not only good things with popular names, for instance, when i need to contract something from an alt to this character, i get a list of 500+ names on variations of "Skywalker" and my name ain't on top.

Since i started shortly after game launch, i was lucky enough to snatch this name, actually i was surprised it wasn't taken already even back then and i am glad i gave this universe an evil Skywalker in opposite to the movies Pirate

And to OP, i don't agree that inactive player names should be free to take, anyone should have the chance to reactivate and start with same character name, all names have their history.
Obunagawe
#32 - 2013-07-20 22:24:26 UTC
Skywalker wrote:

And to OP, i don't agree that inactive player names should be free to take, anyone should have the chance to reactivate and start with same character name, all names have their history.

Some names are worth hundreds of billions of isk though. Yours perhaps included.
Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services
#33 - 2013-07-20 22:26:41 UTC
Obunagawe wrote:
Skywalker wrote:

Some names are worth hundreds of billions of isk though. Yours perhaps included.

Hundreds ? Bazillions !

ISD Buldath:

CCP Falcon
#34 - 2013-07-20 23:06:47 UTC
Hannibal Octavianus wrote:
No this topic does not belong in F&I it belongs here

No, it belongs in Features & Ideas Discussion, and that's where it's being moved to.

This is also something that you could being up with the CSM on the appropriate forum if you feel strongly enough about it.

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#35 - 2013-07-20 23:32:37 UTC
I would say some great ones are still there
Alpha Saber
Coyote Lightning
Thunder Erupter
Gank Tank and Whine
White Blight
Vector Tango
Inferno Love
Chemo Kill No Mo

Think of this as the future cast off the millstone of names as profession and embrace the birthright of the first.
Don your vestments and gird your mind for where we go there are no roads but our own.
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#36 - 2013-07-21 02:44:15 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Hannibal Octavianus wrote:
No this topic does not belong in F&I it belongs here

No, it belongs in Features & Ideas Discussion, and that's where it's being moved to.

This is also something that you could being up with the CSM on the appropriate forum if you feel strongly enough about it.

you know you still have not told me how you got that jacket...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Beliar Gray
I'm quitting Eve PV Rock I want to talk with you
#37 - 2013-07-21 04:27:41 UTC
This topic is too stupid even for F&ID.
Weighted Companion Cube
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#38 - 2013-07-21 04:42:04 UTC
We all have terrible names. I demand we all get our names deleted.

Hop to it, See Sea Pea.
Telemachus Rheade
State War Academy
Caldari State
#39 - 2013-07-21 06:28:51 UTC
Umm you know that you can change ONE letter in the name, or add an initial and have it sound the same right?

Like Caarl Sagan, or Neill Daegrass Tyson or something (going with your examples).

Also, some of the taken names are by people who have saved the name for themselves by making an alt. -1 on the OPs idea. It is silly.
Pytria Le'Danness
Placid Reborn
#40 - 2013-07-22 12:21:06 UTC
I'm kinda happy these names are already taken, that way I don't have to deal with kids running around in my spaceship making "swoosh" sounds or telling me that those aren't the droids I'm looking for. That sort of behaviour upsets the Fedos, and they stink the ship up even more.