These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why you should NOT pick up your afterburner in Old Man Star

Author
Terek Brinalle
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-07-20 06:46:01 UTC
So... that Parthus guy in the Sisters of Eve newb missions had me stumped. My frigates and Catalyst had taken a crack at him and failed. So on some advice given in newb chat, I'd purchased an Algos and was in the process of fitting it out. Most of the stuff I was able to buy in-station. But some of the prices made me look at purchases 6 or 7 jumps out. No problem, I figured I'd just fly out there and collect the equipment.

After one such pickup, I set destination for the station holding my purchased afterburner. It was in some system called "Old Man Star." The name meant nothing to me.

So I warp out and travel there. Just as I'm nearing the last jump gate, I notice... "hey wait a second - Old Man Star is 0.3"

Well... I'd picked up stuff in lowsec before and pulled it off. And sitting on over 20 million, it's not like an Algos was going to ruin me. So I decided to carry on.

When I hit the gate I sat there hesitating a bit wondering if someone was spying on me. Decided to pull up the map and look at ship kills in the system.

71 in the last hour. Wow...

Oh, what the hell, I'll try it anyway. Maybe the gate campers have logged off. I close out the map and realize I'm surrounded. A massive Eve University fleet had just warped into the gate and was forming up around me. I knew they were Eve Uni because I'd blued them while considering whether to join the corp or not. I was in low sec, but it felt a bit nervous with that many ships formed up around me. Near simultaneously, they all jump through the gate leaving me sitting there.

Madness took me - I decided to jump through with them. On the other side of the gate cloaked, I realize they can shoot me since I'm now in lowsec. So maybe I should just warp to the stupid station fast before they notice me.... yeah...

I make it (maybe Eve Uni has rules about not shooting non-red parties like me) out, and warp in on the station and see - to my dismay - 3 red ships nearby. I manage to dock anyway and collect and mount my afterburner.

Meanwhile, a couple pirates are smack-talking the Eve Uni blob and posturing in local. A part of me thinks it would be a good idea to just log off now and go to bed and hope things look brighter tomorrow. But another part of me says - "hey.... maybe the three pirates I saw outside are hiding from the Eve Uni blob... or maybe they're fighting them. Maybe this is my best chance to get out of here!"

In the spirit of throwing one reckless decision after another - I undock.

"Good lord - there's stuff everywhere...."

My tactical is full of yellow ships and drones with lasers and bubbles and pretty colors everywhere. Apparently the entire Eve University fleet is parked outside my station having a knock-down-drag-out fight with some pirate corporation. Almost instantly I get some random mail notice and have enough time to think "run you fool!" Only I can't find the warp gate in my tactical. I can't find the station in my tactical either. It's full of ships. I locate my warp gate by sight in space and try to warp. I manage to align and get the pretty voice saying "warp drive active" when - I'm stuck. I can't move. Now my shields have magically vanished. Futilely, I activate my 75mm railguns. Then I blow up.

I did manage to get my capsule out safely. Here's the killmail:

http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=20151130

About a 2.5 mil loss. Nothing that terrible for such reckless stupidity. I convo'ed one of the guys who killed me to offer congratulations. He was quite polite about it and laughed at my reason for being there ("I just came to get my afterburner").

So yeah. I learned that Old Man Star is a crappy place to pick up a ruddy afterburner.

Maybe I'll just try refitting my Catalyst to kill Parthus instead... Yeah...
Max Godsnottlingson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-07-20 06:55:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Max Godsnottlingson
Next time you buy something, look to the top right of the market window you will see a set of filters that let you fitler out sales in specific security state space.

It's not that obvious and easy missed if you are new to the game
Max Godsnottlingson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-07-20 06:55:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Max Godsnottlingson
Damn! Double post! Teach me not to post before the first coffee of the day hasn't kicked in!P
Terek Brinalle
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-07-20 06:57:03 UTC
Good call Max. Guess I'll remember that option now.
Terek Brinalle
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-07-20 07:09:42 UTC
Oh, I forgot to mention - that was my first time ever being blown up by a human player (instead of by an NPC).

Guess losing your ship by blundering into a battle of over 100 ships beats dying to a run-of-the-mill gate-camp or can-flipper for uniqueness.
Snaggletooth Slackjaw
Banana Moon Industries
#6 - 2013-07-20 08:47:42 UTC
Good story.

It's handy to set up a tab on your overview to show nothing but celestials (planets, sun, gates etc), so you can easily pick something far away to warp to when the local area is full of ships etc.

CEO, Banana Moon Industries. Alliance Diplomat, Rim Worlds Protectorate

Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#7 - 2013-07-20 09:18:44 UTC
Snaggletooth Slackjaw wrote:
Good story.

It's handy to set up a tab on your overview to show nothing but celestials (planets, sun, gates etc), so you can easily pick something far away to warp to when the local area is full of ships etc.

This.

Also if you set your course via Autopilot, the stargate will appear yellow in your overview. Might have helped in your situation.

Finally, if you undock from a station, you will be invulnerable for a short time as long as you don´t move or activate a module (but at full speed).
You also can stop your ship without becoming vulnerable as well. Unless you are at a kickout station (a station whose docking radius is so small that you are outside its range before coming to a stop), you should have enough time to press Ctrl+Spacebar, find the station icon in your overview and dock up again (commonly known as "playing Station Games", btw).

Better luck next time!

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-07-20 10:56:23 UTC
EVE uni will not attack you in low security space unless you are a suspect, criminal, less than -5 security status or -5 or -10 standings to the IVY league.

Basically if you are a law-abiding eve citizen you can expect no aggression from the Ivy league alliance in low sec. In null sec it's a different story though.

As people have already pointed out: make an overview tab with escape options. http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Overview it's a long read but well worth it.

Picking up things in low sec can also be quite safe if you know how to do the mwd+cloak trick too, google "mwd cloak" and there should be plenty of texts that describe it in detail.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#9 - 2013-07-20 11:09:10 UTC
An 'undocking bookmark' might have saved you here. Basicly it's a bookmark straight in line with the undock, as the station will spew you out at full speed. This ensures you don't have to align for a long time. That's the moment when you are vulnerable.

Good read! Big smile
Silas Sedal
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-07-20 17:24:41 UTC
Terek Brinalle wrote:
My tactical is full of yellow ships and drones with lasers and bubbles and pretty colors everywhere. Apparently the entire Eve University fleet is parked outside my station having a knock-down-drag-out fight with some pirate corporation. Almost instantly I get some random mail notice and have enough time to think "run you fool!" Only I can't find the warp gate in my tactical. I can't find the station in my tactical either. It's full of ships. I locate my warp gate by sight in space and try to warp. I manage to align and get the pretty voice saying "warp drive active" when - I'm stuck. I can't move. Now my shields have magically vanished. Futilely, I activate my 75mm railguns. Then I blow up.

For what it's worth, you can create additional tabs in the overview up to a total of five. If you were to create a new tab, and name it something like "Warp To," you can then go into the overview options and disable every filter for that tab save for Station and Warp Gate. This way, when your default overview gets too cluttered, you can quickly select the "Warp To" tab, see your available options for escape, and proceed to get the hell out as quickly as possible.

Check out a tutorial here for more detail on how to customize the overview should you need it.

Good luck.

Simply the worst capsuleer there's ever been.

Donbe Scurred
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-07-20 17:29:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Donbe Scurred
OP, good attitude and there has been good advice given here.

I would have just left it there and turned back to the gate and bought one somewhere else. I'm assuming you bought it because it was the cheapest available, remember if something is too cheap there is probably a reason and not a good one.

As an alternative when you realized it was low sec, you could have gone back and got a shuttle as the 1mn afterburner will fit in there.
Maria212
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2013-07-20 17:57:27 UTC
Terek Brinalle wrote:
Old Man Star is 0.3

Well... I'd picked up stuff in lowsec before and pulled it off.

My tactical is full of yellow ships and drones with lasers and bubbles ...

Well i dont get how there were bubbles in low sec space?

Anyways, cool story OP..

Lowsec systems are always pain in the b... khm ˝NECK˝... to get equipment.
Its always good to check map for details like pod and ship kills in past hour, and active pilots aswell..
That generaly gives you a good idea how nasty system is...

Old man star brings back memories... Used to live there with Merc corp/alliance few years ago.. a home away from home...

9/10 would read again Big smile
Terek Brinalle
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-07-20 22:11:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Terek Brinalle
No idea Maria. There probably weren't bubbles. But there sure was a lot of something going on - and it scared the hell out of me.
Maccian
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2013-08-12 23:37:24 UTC
Pirate Glad you enjoyed your first visit to Old Man Star, its a popular hot spot you should come back again! Bring some friends to and try get some vengeance for your Algos loss!

Mac
Demica Diaz
SE-1
#15 - 2013-08-13 00:49:15 UTC
Great story, thanks for sharing. Reminded me of E-Uni blobs when I was in it. Good times. Lol
Ned Taggart
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-08-13 17:18:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Ned Taggart
When was this, I may have been in that blob.

What was said earlier is correct. In Lowsec, we will not shoot unless you are a war target, red or orange to us (-10 or -5).

Also, please sort out your overview, it is a lifesaver, seriously. Here is our page on how to do it - http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Overview . There are others but the idea is all the same.

A hint about traveling in Lowsec, set up your ship for traveling when you are making these kind of runs. Fit at least one warp core stabilizer, 2 is better. I would also fit a cheap cloak on mine, because hiding is helpful if you are being hunted.

Setting up an instant warp out is hard to do on a camped station, but take some time to learn how to drop safes and how to build tactical bookmarks on the fly. its so much better coming in at least 150 from a gate or station and getting eyes first.
Jayor Robb
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-08-13 17:56:56 UTC
I saw a bunch of Eve Uni peeps in there the other day.

I avoid Old Man Star, seems like one of the most reliably camped systems I've found.

You've been playing EvE for 6 years and gate camping is the best idea you can come up with? XD

Lufen V2-0-1
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-08-13 18:48:26 UTC
If you don't have a Pod Saver tab, simply reverse sort your overview by proximity will get you stations/gates to warp to. Same amount of clicks using a dedicated Pod Saver tab. I do this in Jita all the time, so damn crowded.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#19 - 2013-08-13 19:13:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
This may be of interest:
Louis's epic Overview Settings v1.1

I commend your bravery, and attitude. o7

EDIT: Dangerous systems
* Rancer (smartbomb battleships on gates is normal - anything less than a cruiser is at risk)
* Amamake
* Old Man Star
* Tama
* Kamela

Lowsec entry systems to faction warfare zones can be completely dead, or you may find yourself in the middle of a large fleet gate camp.