These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Joining Militia right off the bat, good idea or no?

Author
Tyrius Nabali
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-07-18 20:46:21 UTC
I mean after just finishing all of the Career Agents.

Is Faction Warfare Militias a logical next step?

or is it something you would want to hold off on?
Ilkahn
Ideal Mechanisms
#2 - 2013-07-18 21:21:37 UTC
Tyrius Nabali wrote:

Most would tell you to hold off, others would tell you to jump right in. What you need to consider is that no matter your choice today, you can make another tommorrow.

And your choice is??
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-07-18 23:04:59 UTC
Can you use a warp disruptor/scrambler and a microwarp drive ?

If so, you are ready to dive into FW. Especially if you can find a corp to teach you.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#4 - 2013-07-19 01:34:39 UTC
Jump in, see how you like it. You can always change your mind later.

The only warning you really need is: be aware that joining Faction Warfare will trash your faction standings. Repairing those standings is fairly easy (if a little tedious) and you can always roll two alts on your existing account to take care of ISK geeration, hisec hauling, and other activities where your shoot-on-sight status might be a liability.

Who knows, maybe you will end up making enough ISK from FW that you won't care about hisec at all?
Ovv Topik
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2013-07-19 07:33:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Ovv Topik
I suggest you start plexing and avoid combat for a short period while you skill up. Focus on one race and one weapon system at first so you can get up to par asap. then you can broaden out.

There is a lot to learn regarding situational awareness and lowsec survival. So maybe a couple of weeks doing that would be time well spent before you start taking fights.

Plus you should have a very healthy bank roll by then!

And x up for a few fleets as they happen in Militia chat. You wont have much impact, but will learn loads and get your first few kills!

This is all the info you need:
http://www.gamerchick.net/2013/01/the-beginners-guide-to-faction-war.html

"Nicknack, I'm in a shoe in space, on my computer, in my house, with a cup of coffee, in't that something." - Fly Safe PopPaddi. o7

Zoe Allende
Gardes Feydakin
#6 - 2013-07-19 08:30:28 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
The only warning you really need is: be aware that joining Faction Warfare will trash your faction standings.

Yes and no, depending on your actions.

Not at all if you restrict yourself to PvP (although your standings with the other faction's militia NPC corp will still go down the drain).

Not that much if you plex a bit but don't get promoted that often, or restrict yourself to defensive plexing.

A lot if you do FW missions and a lot of offensive plexing.
Paul Otichoda
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-07-19 10:14:36 UTC
Tyrius Nabali wrote:

avoid pvp like the plague. As far as I can see its nothing but instant deaths against people who are so much better than you (damn tech 2)!

Hold off untill you have 10m SP or so. Atleast at that level you might have a chance.
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2013-07-19 10:19:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Cannibal Kane
Paul Otichoda wrote:
Tyrius Nabali wrote:

avoid pvp like the plague. As far as I can see its nothing but instant deaths against people who are so much better than you (damn tech 2)!

Hold off untill you have 10m SP or so. Atleast at that level you might have a chance.

Incorrect...

I have been killing people with better ships with my t1 guns. Stop being a moron.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Paul Otichoda
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-07-19 10:40:31 UTC
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Paul Otichoda wrote:
Tyrius Nabali wrote:

Incorrect...

I have been killing people with better ships with my t1 guns. Stop being a moron.

eve kill disagrees with you

http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=1675337
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-07-19 10:49:50 UTC
Paul Otichoda wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Paul Otichoda wrote:
Tyrius Nabali wrote:

Incorrect...

just because you are bad doesn't mean everyone else will be.

Also why are you advising the OP to wait until 10m sp, you don't even have 10m sp.
Cannibal Kane
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2013-07-19 10:54:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Cannibal Kane
Paul Otichoda wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Paul Otichoda wrote:
Tyrius Nabali wrote:

Incorrect...

My EVE kill disgrees with you...

http://kane.killmail.org/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=9977480
http://kane.killmail.org/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=8600172

Just because you are bad does not mean others are. If you know how to use your ship even a person at that time like myself with t1 guns can kill older players.

"Kane is the End Boss of Highsec." -Psychotic Monk

Paul Otichoda
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-07-19 10:56:03 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Paul Otichoda wrote:
Cannibal Kane wrote:
Paul Otichoda wrote:
Tyrius Nabali wrote:

Incorrect...

just because you are bad doesn't mean everyone else will be.

Also why are you advising the OP to wait until 10m sp, you don't even have 10m sp.

atleast when he and I have 10sp we'll have the skills and money to throw battlecruisers around without risk and have a chance at doing anything. Frigate pvp is a waste, its too fast and you have no chance to react.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-07-19 11:18:03 UTC
Frigate pvp is fast, but YOU have no chance to react because you don't know how to play.
erg cz
ErgoDron
#14 - 2013-07-19 11:47:59 UTC
Back on topic.

If you got enough ISK from buddy program to lose few dosens of equiped frigates - go and have your fun ;) Of cause if eve for you is a pew-pew PvP game in the first place. For me it is the world to explore so I am not rushing into activity, that will lock half of it. At least you can concider to finish sisters of eve arc. before you go kill innocent veterans ;)
Shane Saken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-07-19 14:18:55 UTC
Uhm actually frigate warfare is very viable and needed. I run a T1 condor with pretty basic fits with my corp and i run as a tackle. Your making one of the big mistakes of EVE, bigger is not always better my friend. Now yes i know im comparing my small fleet exp to a solo but still. Get in a big BS and get jumped by a Frig fleet and you'll see how hard it is to hit those suckers.

NOW having said that i do also see where your coming from where a decent amount of SP is handy, 10m i think is a bit over kill though as that will take quite a few months to achieve and its best to get your feet wet early on so your better customed to it when you start flying high isk hulls and fits
Ilkahn
Ideal Mechanisms
#16 - 2013-07-19 14:31:17 UTC
Shane Saken wrote:
Uhm actually frigate warfare is very viable and needed. I run a T1 condor with pretty basic fits with my corp and i run as a tackle. Your making one of the big mistakes of EVE, bigger is not always better my friend. Now yes i know im comparing my small fleet exp to a solo but still. Get in a big BS and get jumped by a Frig fleet and you'll see how hard it is to hit those suckers.

NOW having said that i do also see where your coming from where a decent amount of SP is handy, 10m i think is a bit over kill though as that will take quite a few months to achieve and its best to get your feet wet early on so your better customed to it when you start flying high isk hulls and fits

This new guy is getting good advice. OP, join his corp.
Varlo Hobbs
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2013-07-19 17:36:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Varlo Hobbs
I had a brief dip into FW the other week at about 1mill skill points, I didn't join a faction war corp as I just wanted to have a nose at it without committing to it long term (and annoying ppl by joining a corp just to quit a couple days later).

I lost a few ships, and a couple pods, but see it as by far the most beneficial experience I've had in EvE so far. I learnt a hell of a lot about navigating low sec and staying safe. Most of it had to do with gate camps (if there's a blinky red about don't go through, don't warp to 0 etc.), using d-scan and being aware of your surroundings, and mostly how to bravely run away, GTFO and save your ass. I also learned that doing really dumb things is... errrr ... really dumb, like spending ten minutes with the browser open setting up your overview while undocked, or asking nooby questions in local by mistake instead of rookie chat.

To put Paul Otichoda's comments in a more helpful way, don't expect to get any solo kills, if you want kills on your board you probably have to join a corp and/or fleet. Your not going to get a fair fight, a group of 3 t2s (I had problems with a group of Russian guys) are not gunna look at your t1 and think, ahhhhh bless, it just wouldn't be fair to kick the crap out of that guy (although I'm sure you probably know this). Even 1v1 in the same ship the opponent is highly likely to have a lot more experience than you in combat, so its still not really fair and the odds are stacked against you.

Despite that, like I said above, I learned so much more in those 10 or so hours playing than I could of ever done reading any guides, I even went two whole evenings without getting killed. I was delighted with myself. I'm currently waiting a couple days to get the min SP required to join a "PvP training corp" I feel having someone on voice comm is just going to be so much more helpful watching youtube/reading guides.

Give it a go OP, whats the worst that could happen? You lose a bit of imaginary space money, decide you don't like it and go do something else.

Just my 2 cents from a fellow newb.
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-07-19 21:56:25 UTC
Paul Otichoda wrote:
atleast when he and I have 10sp we'll have the skills and money to throw battlecruisers around without risk and have a chance at doing anything. Frigate pvp is a waste, its too fast and you have no chance to react.

Where do people find the most fights in FW ?
Inside plexes.

Which plexes can a BC enter ?
Only the large plexes. Which don't spawn as often as the rest, and can let anything in. Including T3s.

Which ships can enter all plexes ?
T1 Frigates.

Which ships have the best chance of escaping a pirate gate camp ?
Frigates.

Unless you're doing an IHub bash, as part of a fleet, flying anything bigger than a frigate or destroyer is questionable.