These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Why you hate utility highs?

Author
S Byerley
The Manhattan Engineer District
#1 - 2013-07-18 23:59:32 UTC
I don't want to fly a drone boat. You can't make me fly a drone boat!

ARGHRGRGRHRGRH

* fetals in corner

(Reference to the recent HAC post: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=260029 , but moreso the general trend - lock/discuss/explain to me if you so desire)
Aiwha
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-07-19 00:05:50 UTC
HAC's aren't built around being brawlers.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#3 - 2013-07-19 00:15:02 UTC
If you purposely don't put a turret or a launcher in a high slot, that could also be a utility slot...

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Mirel Dystoph
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-07-19 00:16:27 UTC
Aiwha wrote:

So that's why they made the Vagabond into a special purpose ASB brawler.

"Nothing essential happens in the absence of noise." 

S Byerley
#5 - 2013-07-19 00:18:49 UTC
Aiwha wrote:

Coming from more of a PVE perspective personally.
Alua Oresson
Alcorp Unlimited
#6 - 2013-07-19 00:48:33 UTC
S Byerley wrote:
Aiwha wrote:

If you want to salvage while you run missions, get a pirate ship or a marauder.

http://pvpwannabe.blogspot.com/

S Byerley
#7 - 2013-07-19 00:57:44 UTC
Alua Oresson wrote:
S Byerley wrote:
Aiwha wrote:

If you want to salvage while you run missions, get a pirate ship or a marauder.

Uh... wormholes and complexes are the more obvious application.
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-07-19 05:45:42 UTC
What are you actually putting in the utility hi-slot for pve?

I can only think of two modules, cloak and drone link, one is mostly useful for drone boats the other only useful in specific situations and primarily outside hi-sec.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#9 - 2013-07-19 05:58:10 UTC
I put a firework launcher on my navy mega's utilityBlink
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#10 - 2013-07-19 06:14:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
dexington wrote:

I can only think of two modules, cloak and drone link, one is mostly useful for drone boats the other only useful in specific situations and primarily outside hi-sec.

For PVE?

Well aside from the obvious salvager or tractor beam it's also beneficial to mount a Neut (which lowers NPC overall toughness or repair ability) or a NOS (which provides you with cap for a few cycles, depending on the NPC).

Neither effect is being changed as far as NPC targets is concerned with the upcoming NOS tweak.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#11 - 2013-07-19 06:50:03 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
dexington wrote:

For PVE?

Well aside from the obvious salvager or tractor beam it's also beneficial to mount a Neut (which lowers NPC overall toughness or repair ability) or a NOS (which provides you with cap for a few cycles, depending on the NPC).

Neither effect is being changed as far as NPC targets is concerned with the upcoming NOS tweak.

A probe launcher is also a must have, if you plan on doing anything exploration related.
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-07-19 07:26:54 UTC  |  Edited by: dexington
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
dexington wrote:

For PVE?

A probe launcher is also a must have, if you plan on doing anything exploration related.

The slot layout needs to be balanced in both pve and pvp, and you have the marauder if you feel strongly about fitting salvage equipment, and there are also plenty of good exploration ships.

Cap warfare modules and also smartbombs are offense modules, only fair you sacrifice a turret to use them, if you could fit them freely it has a much larger impact on pvp.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#13 - 2013-07-19 07:35:14 UTC
Removing utility highs makes the ship worse.

HACs were blatantly OP and needed a nerf. Some also had too much tank and slots, happy to see them addressed too.

amirite

S Byerley
#14 - 2013-07-19 18:23:44 UTC
dexington wrote:
and there are also plenty of good exploration ships.

In the cruiser class.... there's the Ishtar. Don't get me wrong, the Ishtar is pretty exceptional for the job, but one ship for the entire profession is pretty lame.

BC's generally can't tank DED 6+ (AFAIK)

Perhaps BS exploration will be the new thing?
S Byerley
#15 - 2013-07-21 18:00:40 UTC
dexington wrote:
The slot layout needs to be balanced in both pve and pvp

Wait... so, HACs can't have utility highs both because they can't use them (not being brawlers) and because having them would be unbalanced?

I can't follow this reasoning at all; seems like some of these professions just weren't considered.
Banjo String
Steel Winters Stellar Enterprises
#16 - 2013-07-21 18:04:45 UTC
Roime wrote:
Removing utility highs makes the ship worse.

HACs were blatantly OP and needed a nerf. Some also had too much tank and slots, happy to see them addressed too.

amirite

are you mad?