These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

POS Doomsday Device

Author
Blastil
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#1 - 2013-07-17 14:33:57 UTC
Hey CCP, noticing that supers/capitals are now the primary mode for structure grinds. Anyway we could see anti-capital guns on POSes? Maybe restrict them to large poses. Additionally, Doomsday device so I can have a freal Death Star? Seems kind of unfair that there exists no class of guns for POSes to defend against capital ships, which are their chief predators.

This might have a detremental impact in WH space though, where capitals are hard to bring into a hole unless you built them there. then again, this might be a bonus for invading WH organizations to level the playing field against an enemy cap fleet?

Player opinion?
suid0
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2013-07-17 14:35:47 UTC
Blastil wrote:

Player opinion?

Biomass.

If you don't want someone to shoot your tower... don't anchor it

the entire enemy support fleet is dead except for one interdictor a titan could easily finish off with drones  - Commander Ted

Siri Exotic
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-07-17 14:39:42 UTC
1 shot every 24 hours and it takes the pos shield down to fire due to power consumption and I'd Sign it :)
Blastil
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#4 - 2013-07-17 14:45:21 UTC
Siri Exotic wrote:
1 shot every 24 hours and it takes the pos shield down to fire due to power consumption and I'd Sign it :)

I definitely think it should have limitations, It also should come with a built in exhaust shaft which is conveniently unarmored but some how requires an inexplicable trench run to hit.

It definitely needs balancing, and balance ideas are welcome, but I think the general idea has merit. Perhaps a high stront requirement? Obviously, because it is immobile it is very much limited from a Titan doomsday by default. I could see it having to drain some shields to fire (Taking them offline seems counter productive, and no one would use them then). Should cycle slower than a normal DD device.
De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2013-07-17 14:50:18 UTC
suid0 wrote:
[quote=Blastil]

I can confirm that this works. I have never lost a tower I didn't put into space first.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

NuNu Dagobah
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2013-07-17 14:50:53 UTC
I would say it consumes all the stront in the bay, regardless of amount and it prevents tower refueling for 24 hours.
So if it fires, say bye bye to RF timer
seth Hendar
I love you miners
#7 - 2013-07-17 15:10:43 UTC  |  Edited by: seth Hendar
De'Veldrin wrote:
suid0 wrote:
[quote=Blastil]

I can confirm that this works. I have never lost a tower I didn't put into space first.

same is true for ship, i never lost the one i never undocked! magic isn't it?

also, more on the subject, i agree those would be a good idea, but would need an effective balancing, like a cooldown, a limitation in fitting (how many / tower, if several, how long between those can fire), and indeed, would require fuel (stront or their racial fuel block in a specific bay?).

and indeed, would those be automated or only man gunned (in any case, only viable tgt would be cap ships)

and while we are at it, it would also be logic that a infinipoint module exist for pos, with the limitation of being able to tgt only caps (or maybe just super / titans)
Hopelesshobo
Hoboland
#8 - 2013-07-18 11:04:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Hopelesshobo
De'Veldrin wrote:
suid0 wrote:

So you havn't lost a ship with a tower in the cargohold then?

Lowering the average to make you look better since 2012.

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#9 - 2013-07-18 12:07:31 UTC
More capital deaths ?

... Where do I sign ?

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Mr Doctor
Star Nation
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2013-07-18 12:14:06 UTC
How about a gun that shoots dust mercs at it which then have to get to the core and set the self destruct. The super pilot has to play a minigame thats basically FTL to defend his ship. It will be awesome.