These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

wow is dying

First post
Author
Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2013-07-10 00:37:27 UTC
They say that when a player quits EvE to play WoW, the average intelligence of both games goes up.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Inokuma Yawara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2013-07-10 00:49:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Inokuma Yawara
I played WoW. Started with Burning Crusade and played up through Cataclysm. I would still be playing, but the Pandas totally killed it for me. They should not have introduced a whole new race that was never in the world of WoW to start with. Maybe instead of Pandas, it should have been Ogres, or some other race that was already in-game but not playable. They dropped a giant continent onto the map (again) with no back-story or history or lore that tied it with the rest of WoW lore, and called it an expansion.

I had to leave WoW. I went to SWTOR. The buggiest game on Earth! It's fun being a Sith lord however, so I still play it. I feel kind of cheated, though. I pay the monthly subscription, but if I want the cool looking l3wtz, I have to pay extra. At least it's not pay to win stuff.

Taking the plunge in EVE was an eye opener. It's freaking hostile around here (in game - not the forums. Forums are forums are forums). This is the first game I've ever played that's got me constantly looking over my shoulder and feeling the tension.

I go out on an expensive mining barge fitted with expensive modules and just hope I'll survive long enough to make back my expenses. I did, by the way, make bake my investment. Even made enough to replace the Navy Comet I lost not long ago.

EVE Online is an exiting game. I can't wait until my skills are good enough to let me survive in lowsec space.

Watch this space.  New exciting signature in development.

Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#43 - 2013-07-10 17:30:17 UTC
Inokuma Yawara wrote:
I played WoW. Started with Burning Crusade and played up through Cataclysm. I would still be playing, but the Pandas totally killed it for me. They should not have introduced a whole new race that was never in the world of WoW to start with. Maybe instead of Pandas, it should have been Ogres, or some other race that was already in-game but not playable. They dropped a giant continent onto the map (again) with no back-story or history or lore that tied it with the rest of WoW lore, and called it an expansion.

I had to leave WoW. I went to SWTOR. The buggiest game on Earth! It's fun being a Sith lord however, so I still play it. I feel kind of cheated, though. I pay the monthly subscription, but if I want the cool looking l3wtz, I have to pay extra. At least it's not pay to win stuff.

Taking the plunge in EVE was an eye opener. It's freaking hostile around here (in game - not the forums. Forums are forums are forums). This is the first game I've ever played that's got me constantly looking over my shoulder and feeling the tension.

I go out on an expensive mining barge fitted with expensive modules and just hope I'll survive long enough to make back my expenses. I did, by the way, make bake my investment. Even made enough to replace the Navy Comet I lost not long ago.

EVE Online is an exiting game. I can't wait until my skills are good enough to let me survive in lowsec space.

Some days, some days I want to believe these little new faces to the game forums are actual real persons and not alts ... I might be wrong, I hope I am wrong.

Dare to Dreaaaaaaaammmm ...

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Myfanwy Heimdal
Heimdal Freight and Manufacture Inc
#44 - 2013-07-10 19:40:52 UTC
I was in WoW before I found EvE.

I got bored of it after about a year. I didn't level fast; I didn't want to. I wanted to explore everything and that was more fun when it was hard to just to survive. Exploring when you can kill everything in one zone with a single glance isn't fun.

Before WoW, I played Asheron's Call 2. Or, at least I tried to, but the lag was murder. Again it was fun to explore off the roads and sometimes I would put the game on one computer, tind a nice spot and sit and fish. As a screen saver it was perfect.

As for the quests and things they got silly in WoW and then I discovered Trade. So armed with a spreadsheet and 1 Gold Coin I ended up with hundreds of thousands in weeks. Dead easy in WoW and I wish it were that easy in EvE, but then that would spoil the game.

"Want a new spaceship, sir? Yes, it's in the postbox next to Mallory's Bar. Mind how you unpack it sir, the antennae could take your eye out"

WoW soon becaome tedious when they started to make everything easier and the ability to level in a keystroke. I hope that CCP don't dumb this little gem down.

Pam:  I wonder what my name means in Welsh?Nessa: Why?

Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#45 - 2013-07-11 07:09:06 UTC
Guess they will announce their F2P model shortly too.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Shalua Rui
Rui Freelance Mining
#46 - 2013-07-11 09:45:11 UTC
WOW... yea, true, nobody seems to use that expression much anymore these days... WOA and HEY are much more common.

OH! The GAME! ...is that even still around? Blink

Just kidding... but yea, F2P will come soonish, I bet.

"ginger forum goddess, space gypsy and stone nibbler extraordinaire!" Shalua Rui - CEO and founder of Rui Freelance Mining (RFLM)

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#47 - 2013-07-12 00:33:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Eurydia Vespasian
i loved WoW once. from burning crusade to panderia. panderia destroyed it for me. because super tedious non-stop daily quests to unlock gated gear to unlock LFR raids to get into real raids to get into heroic raids...finally ruined the game for me. i supposes i should give blizzard thanks...their failure to keep my attention brought me to eve on a whim one night.
Shereza
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-07-14 05:22:40 UTC
In response to the title, World of Warcraft has been "dying" since the end of Wrath of the Lich King and the start of Cataclysm. With its peak total number of "subscriptions" (and I use quotation marks intentionally because Blizzard has a habit of counting accounts and/or account states as "active subscribers" that many people don't agree with) in the 12m to 13m (some advertisements did claim 13m) in 2009 it has since been dropping. Sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's slow, and sometimes there's a resurgence, but overall people are leaving it and have been for almost half a decade now.

Inokuma Yawara wrote:

Your stance here is somewhat puzzling. Pandaren at least tie into World of Warcraft via the easter egg pandaren brewmaster in Warcraft 3, but you take exception to them rather than the draenei which have no basis in any of the lore prior to The Burning Crusade.

I don't much care for pandaren myself, but I'd have thought anyone who objected to "a whole new race that was never in the world of WoW to start with" would have twigged to Space Goats Coast to Coast first.

Tzar Sinak wrote:
I find this to be an interesting read and appropriate for this thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7540/Have-MMOs-Become-Too-Easy.html

I like that article. It's really interesting for me given that I've been messing with the code for one of the World of Warcraft server projects off and on for a couple years now, and one of the things I've been pondering for a large portion of that time is how to "improve" the leveling process so that it is a journey, not a race, and how to make it a fun journey as well.
Bryen Verrisai
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-07-14 06:01:26 UTC
If WoW's current level of success means it's "dying", what's that say about EVE? I play both and enjoy both. Eve is a very fun, intellectually stimulating game with an entertaining community and surprisingly vibrant RP scene. Plus the space ships are pretty.

And while I may be a relatively fresh player, I have yet to experience anything as viscerally satisfying as downing Lich King on heroic back in Wrath.
Shereza
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#50 - 2013-07-14 06:16:48 UTC
Bryen Verrisai wrote:
If WoW's current level of success means it's "dying", what's that say about EVE?

Look at it this way. World of Warcraft might still have 9m "active subscriptions" (of which maybe 3-4m are "real" players and not botters or internet cafe "subscriptions" for the Chinese shards), but it's lost 3-4m in as many years. EVE Online, however, has only just recently hit 500k or so "active subscriptions" (quotation marks to denote possible shenanigans on CCP's part for what constitutes an "active subscription"), but not only has EVE Online continued to grow year after year its losses have not amounted to a percentage equal to World of Warcraft's losses. Even the worst debacle I've seen from CCP (Captain's Quarters, NEX store, leaked memo on "theoretical" further/extreme monetization of EVE Online all hitting at once) failed to cause a comparable drop in subscription numbers.

All things considered I'd say that the condition of World of Warcraft says that EVE Online's condition is pretty damn good.
Bryen Verrisai
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-07-14 07:08:04 UTC
Shereza wrote:
Bryen Verrisai wrote:
If WoW's current level of success means it's "dying", what's that say about EVE?

Look at it this way. World of Warcraft might still have 9m "active subscriptions" (of which maybe 3-4m are "real" players and not botters or internet cafe "subscriptions" for the Chinese shards), but it's lost 3-4m in as many years. EVE Online, however, has only just recently hit 500k or so "active subscriptions" (quotation marks to denote possible shenanigans on CCP's part for what constitutes an "active subscription"), but not only has EVE Online continued to grow year after year its losses have not amounted to a percentage equal to World of Warcraft's losses. Even the worst debacle I've seen from CCP (Captain's Quarters, NEX store, leaked memo on "theoretical" further/extreme monetization of EVE Online all hitting at once) failed to cause a comparable drop in subscription numbers.

All things considered I'd say that the condition of World of Warcraft says that EVE Online's condition is pretty damn good.

There's an argument to be made that the peak numbers of WoW were never possible to maintain in the first place and only achieved due to fifteen minutes of mainstream fame. In that scenario the current losses would be less indicative of the game "dying", and more indicative of the population stabilizing in the wake of an over-saturation of players brought in by pop-culture popularity.

But this is an argument I've had many times, and in the end it really isn't all that meaningful. No matter how bad a financial year McDonald's has and how good a year Billy's Neighborhood Burgers has, the former will still remain leaps and bounds more successful (in a business sense) than the latter.
Otrebla Utrigas
Iberians
#52 - 2013-07-16 09:27:13 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Guess they will announce their F2P model shortly too.

They already have one. It is called access level, and you can play for free up to level 20. If you want more, pay for it.

Concerning the WoW enjoyment and such, I play WoW from time to time just for the fun. I haven't done a single raid, and I just play for the Lore and the views. For me, the path to the level cap is the achievement, and in fact, once I reach level cap with a toon, I just leave it rooting in the list, and pick another one from level 1 for another race or class.

WoW is impressive, and it is really a pity that people just rush to get the max level and don't enjoy the journey.
Slade Trillgon
Brutor Force Federated
#53 - 2013-07-16 14:37:12 UTC
I started my online gaming in 2005 with WoW. I 'played' for 2 years till I was so utterly bored as I was left behind level wise by my friends as I was an explorer. Once I had seen the whole world, Alliance and Horde Sides all level zones, by level 45 lol and finally experiencing the fun of WoW pvp, I was done. I started looking for F2P pvp game. That next summer, 2007, I asked my new brother in law if he new of any. He said no, but he did introduce me to EVE. Boy what an extremely awesome next 6 months of gaming I had.

I doubt either game 'benefited' from my participation, but I definitely know which game I have the best memories in.
jason hill
Red vs Blue Flight Academy
#54 - 2013-07-17 18:02:07 UTC
I find it odd when I read posts about game XXX is dying theres only X amount of million players active/subscribed . I thought the idea of a game dying would be when there isn't enough active subscriptions to keep the game financially viable?. im pretty sure that WoW with its 5 plus million active accounts pouring into its coffers every month is making the owners of the game a pretty decent profit .
I still recall when EVE only had 8 thousand active players ....and EVE has come along way since then .would be interesting to see what the break even for active players is for eve.

enquiring minds and all that .Question
Previous page123