These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK cloakers "working as intented"?

First post
Author
Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#41 - 2013-07-12 15:12:06 UTC
BadAssMcKill wrote:
This thread again

Yup.
Again.
Lost count already.
Aiwha
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#42 - 2013-07-12 15:12:37 UTC
Put a WCS on your mining barge. Problem solved.

Sanity is fun leaving the body.

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#43 - 2013-07-12 15:13:03 UTC  |  Edited by: TheGunslinger42
Baroness Vulna wrote:
AFK cloaking.... anything?....waiting..... nope ....still no counter to it. the AFK cloaker has all the power. I am all for AFK cloaking but i am also for in game counters to it.

I know of one.

You do too.

It's so obvious and in your face I understand why you missed it.

You'll hit yourself when I say it, a classic "how did I miss THAT!" moment.

Are you ready, friend?

I hope you're ready.

Here goes.

local
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#44 - 2013-07-12 15:22:23 UTC
TheGunslinger42 wrote:
Ruezer wrote:
I'll give you the business perspective on this. People that extort players by AFK cloaking their systems pay their monthly fee/plex for that account.

If they change cloaking to something fuel based/cycle based, how many AFK cloaking accounts will they lose? I'll give you an answer, more then the people who whine about AFK cloaking and say they are gonna quit and dont.

I've got an AFK cloaker in my system as of right now. Tonight, I'm putting up a cyno jam in the system, and getting back to business. I can kill a stealth bomber with a mining fleet, easily.

EDIT: And to be more clear, I hate the AFK cloaking mechanic, but it's EASY to counter. Once they find out that they'll lose more ships trying to kill you then they kill, they'll go find easier targets.

It's not even a matter of "losing" subs by disallowing it, it's a matter of balance.

Requiring fuel for cloaks, or timers/cycles, etc is massively, MASSIVELY unbalanced. It very badly breaks numerous active playstyles. Cloaks aren't solely used by people who pester the terribads like OP - they're also used for scouting ahead, for reconnaissance, for setting up strategic locations, bombing runs, countless other things. Ideas like fuel or cap requirement destroy these playstyles - and for what? Because OP is a coward who has no right to the rewards of nullsec? Pleaaaaaase

I remember a recent GD thread where It was explained that what the guy wanted was bad because it would take a major re-write of the game. Everytime we would say "well, what about this, this would be broken", he come back with "well then ccp could cahange "x" to fit with the new system". After 8 pages of that we ended up with a total re-write of the game being the only way his no local or anti cloaking ideas would fit lol.

People don't seem to want to understand that EVE works fine the way it is, it gives you plenty of tools to mitigate and eliminate risk. i play in null sec every day and deal with neutrals and reds and cloakys and I haven't lost a ship to real people in months.

I've personally developed (or, more truthfully i should say "stolen from smarter people" ) a couple dozen different cloaky mitigation techniques, everything from moving to another (non-upgraded system to triple boxing RR battleships (the "this nut is too tough to crack" doctrine lol) to ratting in small (or big with warp stabs) ships with assigned fighters to using all kinds of gear like FoF missiles, MJDs etc etc etc.

As you point out, the problem isn't the game, it the -mental impotence- of too many of the game's players. They don't want to figure things out for themselves, they want someone to fix it for them, not realizing that if someone fixes it for them THEY won't like the game anymore because it's too reasy.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#45 - 2013-07-12 15:29:50 UTC
Quote:
AFK cloakers "working as intented"?

Yes.

/thread
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-07-12 15:55:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Kidd
Posting in a "People who aren't there scare me" thread or "I see dead people" thread.....I can't decide.

Don't ban me, bro!

Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#47 - 2013-07-12 16:00:41 UTC
Mr Kidd wrote:
Posting in a "People who aren't there scare me" thread or "I see dead people" thread.....I can't decide.

Yesterday upon the stair
I saw a cloaker who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
How I wish he'd go away...
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#48 - 2013-07-12 16:05:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Koskanaiken
Vol Volume wrote:
This aint the issue thou, issue is that they can prevent people from earning their isk just by logging in and going afk, since you cant mine or you can mine but you will surely lose your ship when the afk cloaker happens to come back.
I hav myself 3 miners and orca booster and just 1 tard can stop me from earning isk what i need for plexes, even i think the eve is greatest game i hav ever played and want to support CCP im not going to pay 60e each month just that i can give some depraved tard hes fun.

You know there are asteroids outside the grav site you've huddled together in for the last few years.
Verunae Caseti
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#49 - 2013-07-12 16:05:12 UTC
If "1 tard" can stop you from earning your ISK, then there's more than 1.
Cyclops43
Deeper Trouble
#50 - 2013-07-12 16:09:40 UTC
To the OP...

Do you also bitterly complain over the rules in football when you lose a football match?

Complaining over the rules of a game does only one thing... it shows that you're not good enough at it to competitively play...
Jorden Ishonen
Doomheim
#51 - 2013-07-12 16:21:37 UTC
Vol Volume wrote:
(this is indeed null sec so he dont hav any realistic risk of losing hes ship if he ganks someone)

There are so many things wrong with this sentence I can't begin to even
Milan Nantucket
Doomheim
#52 - 2013-07-12 16:26:28 UTC
Im lost.... I sit afk out in null sex all the time and I have yet to see my internet spacehip pixels actually do anything.

If the cloaker is afk how is that stopping you from doing your mining?
Jorden Ishonen
Doomheim
#53 - 2013-07-12 16:26:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Jorden Ishonen
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Here's the thing. If he is in fact afk, then he is no threat to you.

If he isn't afk, then what he is doing is perfectly legitimate stalking of potential prey.

Either way, there is no problem here as far as game mechanics go. The only problem is the one you create for yourself.

Problem is, people are used to local being a perfect source of intel. Uh oh, red in local! Dock up until he's gone! So, when someone decides to dedicate some time to blowing up these risk-adverse mouthbreathers, and suddenly local doesn't tell them if they're safe or not, they immediately go to the forums to whine and complain.

Because heaven forbid they actually do something.

Hint: cloaks are not only available to reds.

Milan Nantucket wrote:
I sit afk out in null sex all the time

Totally read that as "afk sex." Nerf my wife!

ba-dum TISH
Mag's
Azn Empire
#54 - 2013-07-12 16:37:18 UTC
INB4AAW

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Milan Nantucket
Doomheim
#55 - 2013-07-12 16:42:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Milan Nantucket
I just figure it even:

Afk cloak in system

AFK Miner and Botters

We're all afk.

Someone had sex with my jump clone while I was away... afk sex ftw
Verunae Caseti
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#56 - 2013-07-12 16:52:48 UTC
Milan Nantucket wrote:

We're all afk.

That's a hump clone, sweetie.
Daisai
Daisai Investments.
#57 - 2013-07-12 16:59:40 UTC
They wont fix it untill they see they see subscription numbers drop because of it.
Verunae Caseti
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2013-07-12 17:03:20 UTC
Daisai wrote:
They wont fix it

It's not broken.
Plastic Psycho
Necro-Economics
#59 - 2013-07-12 17:24:13 UTC
It's been broadly hinted at, but I'll make it explicit: Counter-cloak.
Bring in a couple killer hulls yourself, and cloak where you expect to get bounced - then counter-bounce when your tormenter reveals himself.

Or, as I said previously, bring enough friends when you undock that you can kill him reliably and often.

Or bore him to tears by going elsewhere/staying docked-up/playing another game for a while.

If he's able to bounce you at-will, and with no risk - even in Null - YOU are doing something very wrong.

Milan Nantucket wrote:

How did you know? Do a clone jump and find yourself pregnant?
Daisai
Daisai Investments.
#60 - 2013-07-12 17:26:44 UTC
Verunae Caseti wrote:
Daisai wrote:
They wont fix it

It's not broken.

Depends, if they change it they admit it was broken so in case that happens it would have been fixed.
But i agree with one thing though, they wont do anything about it.