These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

My EVE

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Freelance Translators

First post
Author
blazegryph
Corpy Hooves
#21 - 2013-07-12 15:52:13 UTC
CCP Shiny wrote:
blazegryph wrote:
i'd like to acclarate that, for many, is not the same the Spain's Spanish (Castillian) than the South America's spanish... many expressions and words change, altough the phrase constructions are quite equal... so it may be a bit risky deciding which translation apply to the game (if it ever gets translated!)... so perhaps you /may/ want to specify which branch of the languaje CCP wants (or even all of them!!, that would add even more deep to the gamers all around the globe)

You are right about that - currently we use European Spanish for DUST but I am interested in hearing from native speakers of other variations, too.

Ahh, guessed so... Sadly, or lucky, am from the Continental European Spanish Castillian branch.... then just may have have to ask in the Spanish channel... many from South America there, and everoyne with theyr own languaje variation (wheter it be mexican, cuban, venezolan(sp?)...) and drag them here to read all this
Hernan Johuihen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#22 - 2013-07-12 16:31:22 UTC
Woho . Im from argentina and an spanish translation would be great to introduce more friends into the game.
Juvenius Drakonius
#23 - 2013-07-12 16:56:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Juvenius Drakonius
Spanish FTW finally at last!. Latin America and Spain have a great potential but we need EVE in spanish, lots of new players will come because of this.! KUDOS to CCP

There is no shame in saying you don't know something, and there is no glory in keeping knolege to yourself.

Lieutnant Crane
That Little Neptune Foundation
#24 - 2013-07-12 17:39:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Lieutnant Crane
Hi Guys, I am the french jerk

Fix me if I'm wrong but "idioma" makes more sense than "languaje". It always have been a matter of discussion because "language" is used in english and french, but spaniards tend to use la idioma Pirate

By the way CCP Shiny, would you tell me why the french content available eons ago in test server isn't ready yet ? you are losing many frenchspeaking potential gamers as the english language is not as " welcome" in France as it can be somewhere else. I do not think there is english bullying (french bullying exist, but not its counterpart), simply our country is very protective with la langue française against "englishization".

My points sounds stupid-childish-white heating ? You are wrong : simply more than a thousand years of conflict against two brothers in law doesnt fade in a grin.

I always tell my friends that Eve is great because of its diversity, and because of that, english is mandatory but now that you are adding localization contents, I hope you won't forget the proudest and the less forgiving people in this corner of the milky way.

Our cheeses can kill or resurrect... Evil
You 've been warned
Fairball DePQ
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2013-07-12 17:44:38 UTC
CCP Shiny wrote:
blazegryph wrote:
i'd like to acclarate that, for many, is not the same the Spain's Spanish (Castillian) than the South America's spanish... many expressions and words change, altough the phrase constructions are quite equal... so it may be a bit risky deciding which translation apply to the game (if it ever gets translated!)... so perhaps you /may/ want to specify which branch of the languaje CCP wants (or even all of them!!, that would add even more deep to the gamers all around the globe)

You are right about that - currently we use European Spanish for DUST but I am interested in hearing from native speakers of other variations, too.

I can do the job perfectly. Just tell for PM what you need. I'm spanish and spanish teacher with a lot of knowledge in english language.
LesbianCharizard
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#26 - 2013-07-12 18:40:21 UTC
Awesome news ! Sending my CV right away for Spanish Translator !
Juvenius Drakonius
#27 - 2013-07-12 19:03:21 UTC
If you where to point a country that speaks Spanish that is more understandable across all Hispanic speakers, Colombia is the one. On the other hand spoken and written Spanish are to different things, it has the same grammar rules across all countries, yes there are some conjugations and synonyms difference to a certain degree, but all in all is the same way written.

There is a great Hispanic community that was waiting for this opportunity to have EVE in Spanish, no doubt you will have great support.

There is no shame in saying you don't know something, and there is no glory in keeping knolege to yourself.

NoName Trader
Teczowe Misie
#28 - 2013-07-12 19:42:40 UTC
CCP Shiny wrote:
Za'afiel wrote:
I do translations, I was electrified by the news, but...

Polish here,

potentially in the future, in the future? :)

Unfortunately not right now, but yes maybe in the future.

I just love how we are ignored by some companies and as illustrated by some production translated into Polish, If the game is localized in Polish number of players is comparable to the number of players from Germany or France.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#29 - 2013-07-12 20:14:42 UTC
CCP Shiny wrote:
blazegryph wrote:

Not meant to be dismissive of other Spanish, but precisely that "European" Spanish is the one Spanish everyone will understand. That's why there is a scientific institution that ensures that what is standard is standard, and what is local is local and everyone knows what each word means in every place.

FAI, a simple pitcher haves several "common" names in different countries, and also haves a "formal" name which will be identified by everyone as exactly and precisely a pitcher, even if they call it some other way in everyday use. Adding localisms to a translation would make it something halfway between weird and laughable.

So even if "formal" Spanish is not usual not even in Spain itself (that's why it's "formal"), there should be an agreement to keep the translation as formal as possible, whereas EVE specific terminology could be more open to debate.*

And in case you doubt... sing it back!

*as long as "capsuleer" is translated as "capsulero" and not "capsulista", of course... P

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Silivar Karkun
Doomheim
#30 - 2013-07-12 22:44:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Silivar Karkun
i have made some translations for my spanish fanpage but i dont have a CV (still a student) and im only a native speaker, not a major in language.

overall good proposition, i hope to see some good translations of the game in the future, usually the spanish translations go out of context, spanish tends yo have some differences on the quality of translations due to territories, overall the latin translation has more sense than the one used in spain.

just my 2 iskies..

y para los españoles que esten leyendo esto, saben que las traducciones de juegos como WoW o de series como Los Simpsons estan en muchos casos mal hechos, si vais a traducir las cosas al español, no tiene sentido ver los nombres en ingles cuando estan hablando en español, sabiendo que hay nombres en ingles que se pueden traducir perfectamente.

independientemente de si a la RAE le parece o no.

fuera de eso, si llegan a hacer la voz de Aura en español, ojala sea la de la chica del Avast Antivirus, it would be really funny XD

speaking in english again, i hope a real work in translation goes there, because there are examples in the game where the names of certain ships could go wrong in its meaning like:

the Caldari Merlin, Merlin is used as a name for a bird in english, but in spanish is only known as the name of Merlin the mage, another would be the Caldari Blackbird, if it's gonna be translated it would have to be researched or we would end with things like "Ave Negra", and that isnt the real meaning...
MailDeadDrop
Archon Industries
#31 - 2013-07-13 00:10:46 UTC
CCP Shiny wrote:
blazegryph wrote:

It's even worse than you think. Even among Spanish speakers in the Americas there are some fundamental differences. For example, Columbians, Venezuelans, Mexicans all say café for the color brown (the simple form), while Argentinians, Chileans, and maybe Bolivians (unsure) generally use marrón (like Castilians I believe). God only knows what the Ecuadorians and Nicaraguans say.

It's roughly analogous to how Americans use diaper while residents of the UK generally say napkin or nappy.

MDD
Shimerin Mileghere
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2013-07-13 11:10:59 UTC
Hungarian here let me know if you guys need help.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#33 - 2013-07-13 14:20:02 UTC
Silivar Karkun wrote:
i have made some translations for my spanish fanpage but i dont have a CV (still a student) and im only a native speaker, not a major in language.

overall good proposition, i hope to see some good translations of the game in the future, usually the spanish translations go out of context, spanish tends yo have some differences on the quality of translations due to territories, overall the latin translation has more sense than the one used in spain.

just my 2 iskies..

y para los españoles que esten leyendo esto, saben que las traducciones de juegos como WoW o de series como Los Simpsons estan en muchos casos mal hechos, si vais a traducir las cosas al español, no tiene sentido ver los nombres en ingles cuando estan hablando en español, sabiendo que hay nombres en ingles que se pueden traducir perfectamente.

fuera de eso, si llegan a hacer la voz de Aura en español, ojala sea la de la chica del Avast Antivirus, it would be really funny XD

speaking in english again, i hope a real work in translation goes there, because there are examples in the game where the names of certain ships could go wrong in its meaning like:

the Caldari Merlin, Merlin is used as a name for a bird in english, but in spanish is only known as the name of Merlin the mage, another would be the Caldari Blackbird, if it's gonna be translated it would have to be researched or we would end with things like "Ave Negra", and that isnt the real meaning...

Blackbird = "mirlo" in Spanish. Blink

Anwyay, as a rule of thumb, it makes no sense to translate nouns being used as proper names, even if they had a translation. FAI, how you translate "Rifter" so it makes sense? Further, how to translate common words which are widely spread in the community as anglicisms, like "fit" and its illegitimate verb, "fitear"?

"Fit the Rifter with 200mm autocannons and Void charges" =/= "Ajuste el Distanciador con unos cañones automáticos de 200 mm y cargas de Vacío", rather: "Fitea el Rifter con autocannons de 200 mm y cargas Void". Blink

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#34 - 2013-07-13 14:31:48 UTC
MailDeadDrop wrote:
CCP Shiny wrote:
blazegryph wrote:

It's even worse than you think. Even among Spanish speakers in the Americas there are some fundamental differences. For example, Columbians, Venezuelans, Mexicans all say café for the color brown (the simple form), while Argentinians, Chileans, and maybe Bolivians (unsure) generally use marrón (like Castilians I believe). God only knows what the Ecuadorians and Nicaraguans say.

It's roughly analogous to how Americans use diaper while residents of the UK generally say napkin or nappy.

MDD

Heh. "Color café" is a dark brown in Spain, minus in clothing where "café" is a lighter brown compared to "chocolate" (a very dark brown).

But the formal noun everyone will know and understand is "marrón" (with "claro", "medio" or "oscuro" for shades). Cool

Hernan Johuihen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#35 - 2013-07-13 17:54:48 UTC
NO, DONT CHANGE SHIP NAMES PLS :D, we dont need that.

thanks again
Silivar Karkun
Doomheim
#36 - 2013-07-15 04:24:31 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Silivar Karkun wrote:

just my 2 iskies..

Blackbird = "mirlo" in Spanish. Blink

Anwyay, as a rule of thumb, it makes no sense to translate nouns being used as proper names, even if they had a translation. FAI, how you translate "Rifter" so it makes sense? Further, how to translate common words which are widely spread in the community as anglicisms, like "fit" and its illegitimate verb, "fitear"?

"Fit the Rifter with 200mm autocannons and Void charges" =/= "Ajuste el Distanciador con unos cañones automáticos de 200 mm y cargas de Vacío", rather: "Fitea el Rifter con autocannons de 200 mm y cargas Void". Blink

well then, but take in account that it certain words can actually be translated, autocannon -> "autocañon" it doesnt have to be completely technical.

if there isnt a real translation of certain terms in the game there will be certain loss of context, you cannot expect to play something in spanish and see "activando el cynosural field", that spanglish mix just pretty kills the point of translating the game.

one that can come very easy with translation are the ship classes, like frigate to fragata, there will be certain exceptions like covert ops or black ops which have an specific name.

same for certain modules, laser is the same, but we cannot call it "pulse laser" or "beam laser", it could be "pulso laser" and "rayo laser", "blaster y railgun" have to keep those names due to no real common translation to it (people cannot expect someone to say, "no, le meti esta pistola de riel".....too long).

as for non weapons, "interdiccion bubble" again looses context with the spanglish, it would have to be "burbuja de interdiccion", or "burbuja interdictora" whatever sounds better.

stargate -> puerta estelar, jump bridge -> puente de salto, starbase -> base estelar, it isnt too hard sometimes.

about ammunition, they can keep their english names, it isnt important anyways, as long as the attributes are translated to spanish, along with their descriptions and that stuff.

technicisms of course have to be translated, they are the most important thing to know, range of falloff -> rango de caida, optimal range -> rango optimo, rate of fire -> ritmo/velocidad/frecuencia de disparo.

the idea is to have the least mixes between english and spanish during the translation, ship types, technicism and other important things have to be kept in spanish, with certain exceptions, while the specific names of the ships/modules can be kept in english, with certain translation

JOHN BRUBAKER
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#37 - 2013-07-16 11:12:45 UTC
Hi, is CCP still looking for any freelance transalators? Asking, bacause I did send out a mail, but didn´t hear back from CCP, so I´m just wondering, if you are still looking or not.
CCP Shiny
C C P
C C P Alliance
#38 - 2013-07-16 17:30:23 UTC
JOHN BRUBAKER wrote:
Hi, is CCP still looking for any freelance transalators? Asking, bacause I did send out a mail, but didn´t hear back from CCP, so I´m just wondering, if you are still looking or not.

Hi, we are but it is a lot of mails to go through and of course it is happening next to other things that are going on. I have started to send out replies though and will make sure that everyone will get one.

CCP Shiny \ Producer NES Localization Services \ @ccp_shiny

Juvenius Drakonius
#39 - 2013-07-16 18:21:10 UTC
CCP Shiny a open a Sticky forum post by language could be a great way of helping in the translation of EVE to spanish there is a very active comunity of PPL that i'm sure can help out with terms that are not that clear on the best way to translate.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#40 - 2013-07-16 20:05:25 UTC
Juvenius Drakonius wrote:
CCP Shiny a open a Sticky forum post by language could be a great way of helping in the translation of EVE to spanish there is a very active comunity of PPL that i'm sure can help out with terms that are not that clear on the best way to translate.

Let me tell what happened when I was fan-translating a (large) game mod... There were those 5 fan-translators... who were given roughly similar text files... and ended up quarreling about who had made the best translation of certain words which were very common and appeared in every file.

Multiply that by n translators, add a forum, mix in some LatAm crackpots, drop a pinch of Spanish regionalists and you will get a bloody mess and no translation. Lol

BTW: pulse laser = láser de impulsos (not to be mistaken with a pulsating laser or láser de pulsos, láser estroboscópico); beam laser = láser continuo. Those devices already exist and also there is a translation to their names.

Previous page123Next page