These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Remove Titans & Supercarriers

Author
Shadow Lord77
Shadow Industries I
#41 - 2013-06-10 21:32:46 UTC
I'm sure there's a place for Supers and Titans. Maybe if they increased the cost of Supercarriers 4x and titans by 2x, and gave Titans a buff that would make them super rare yet justified for the price? Supers are too cheap.
Airto TLA
Acorn's Wonder Bars
#42 - 2013-06-10 21:54:09 UTC
Shadow Lord77 wrote:
I'm sure there's a place for Supers and Titans. Maybe if they increased the cost of Supercarriers 4x and titans by 2x, and gave Titans a buff that would make them super rare yet justified for the price? Supers are too cheap.

At this point price will not balance them, a large monthly upkeep cost may be helpful though, since it is the ever increasing nubers that people find offensive.
Maximus Andendare
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#43 - 2013-06-10 21:59:27 UTC
Shadow Lord77 wrote:
The cost really isn't the limiting factor. It's the fact that Eve is an over-time game combined with the fact that Super fleets--like those famed ones PL likes to drop--just don't get "used up." So, you have a situation where, over time, alliances build supers and distribute them with very little attrition. Without attrition, the game begins to suffer the sort of "supercap overpopulation" problem that its facing now.

I hate to say that arbitrary limits are the solution, but they are one possible solution. Limit the amount of Supers that are available in a battle, and one side may drop theirs, knowing that the maximum opposing force (supplied by supers) will be limited. I know there's a similar thought to wormhole space battles in that we know the maximum number of Dreads/Carriers that could theoretically be brought by one side or another, and knowing that risk helps us to decide to risk assets (since it's not just going to be an automatic wipe-fest).

Other than some spur to start super attrition, there's really nothing to stop the constant build-up and disuse of them. Hence, some sort of limit (cyno/jump bridge) limits would at least be somewhat effective, at least until an actual rebalance pass on supers can be made. And please no one think that I'm trying to limit the sizes of fights, since you can jump in all the subcaps you want the old fashioned way through a gate.

Enter grid and you're already dead, destined to be reborn and fight another day.

>> Play Eve Online FREE! Join today for exclusive bonuses! <<

Tiberu Stundrif
Nifty Idustries
Pandemic Horde
#44 - 2013-06-22 15:47:07 UTC
If you make them more expensive it will still only be a matter of time before everyone gets them.

To be honest, I wouldn't see a problem if they made them 1/4 their current cost and 1/4 the EHP with the same bonuses/damage. This would make them easy to kill but also easy to replace.

Another thing, be able to build them in low-sec. This would allow smaller alliances to gain super capital power.

Sounds pretty complicated, but I still think removing them is the best bet.
Vayn Baxtor
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2013-06-22 19:51:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Vayn Baxtor
Tiberu Stundrif wrote:
First of all, I'm a Supercapital pilot. I own an Avatar and a Nyx.

Remove them from the game.

- Reprocess ships and place all minerals in "Redeemable Items" based on ME 0 Titan/Supercarrier BPO
- Refund all skillbook costs & refund skillpoints
- Place character in home station.

The Supercapital problem will not improve by simply nerfing these ships into uselessness as CCP has intended to do. My Avatar is a giant logistics cannon and mobile jump bridge. It is a 80-100 billion ISK sink that simply isn't worth what it is intended for.

- The power of the Doomsday is fine as it is, but when you look at the numbers of Titans owned by any one corporation/alliance, it is unbalanced. When an alliance can drop 50 titans on an opposing fleet, there is something terribly wrong.

- I don't want to bring tracking titans back. This was a stupid mechanic and far too easy to make subcapital fleets inferior.

I want to bring back Dreadnought slugfeasts and the days when Carriers were considered something amazing. Remove Supercapitals from the game completely.

This will go a long way to balancing the game and giving newer alliances the chance to succeed.

QFT
Think it would be much cooler to see varieties of standard capitol ships and dreads than Titan/Scaps.

I would just say that the Titan/Scap hulls could be scaled down and reapplied for other on-the-field roles (literally, the visual hulls so they are not just "deleted" from the game). There are a lot of creative people who had posted things like Scout Carriers etc, too. Heck, maybe we could see Science Carriers and other whatnots too.

But yes, I think it would be a smart move. It is pretty much so that anybody who has more superduper ship wins - if we could break that ice and somehow spread the power across the board of new Dreads/Carriers, the territorial gameplay could become more interesting rather than just tossing in the few yet overpowered vessels.

edit

Quote:
If you make them more expensive it will still only be a matter of time before everyone gets them.

To be honest, I wouldn't see a problem if they made them 1/4 their current cost and 1/4 the EHP with the same bonuses/damage. This would make them easy to kill but also easy to replace.

Another thing, be able to build them in low-sec. This would allow smaller alliances to gain super capital power.

Exactly.
Money is not a problem for any the big alliances. No matter how high the costs, people will get them sooner or later.

While I favor the "power to the little people in lowsec" part, I'd rather see the removal - and revamp'ed if possible. Hopefully once tiericide hits the big ones, we will really get to see some significant changes.

Using tablet, typoes are common and I'm not going to fix them all.

Tiberu Stundrif
Nifty Idustries
Pandemic Horde
#46 - 2013-07-12 07:02:50 UTC
Bump because Titans and Supers are still in game! Big smile
Ronny Hugo
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#47 - 2013-07-12 12:47:17 UTC
(@ original post) Hm, I'm working on a set of changes that would fix a lot of stuff ((a) boring structure shooting, (b) instapopping being all the fleet commander facilitates with some small unit-specific roles sprinkled on top, (c) not being able to feel like you're putting up a fight when dropped by huge fleets (you want to go out in a blaze of glory where you feel you did more than most would be able to), (d) active tanks having so low buffers they pop before the second and third rep cycle hits, and (e) the inherent SP cap which often has old players training stuff they won't really use while (f) the new players have a year of capacitor cap, capacitor recharge, shield HP, armor HP, agility, hull HP, etc, to train before they get properly competitive in whatever ship they wish to fly, and (g) also people are carbon-copies of each other because everyone has the same skills. Having everyone be the same is a lame but easy way to balance the game, but there are other options).
Good games from real life allows players to adjust in accordance with conditions, this is what I want to incorporate into Eve.
I'll spend a few days thinking about this problem also to see if I can incorporate something that fixes it in my set of changes.
But could you come with some specific points which are the problems with Titans and supercarriers? Others are welcome to add points also.
Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#48 - 2013-07-12 16:03:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Commander Ted
If you could use supers without being under threat of being dropped on by someone with MORE supers then I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

Make supers use stargates and reduce there align time by a lot.

Also make titan jump bridges work backwards, make it so you can use a pos mounted jump bridge to jump to a titan, and let the titan connect to a jump bridge.

Now your titan is a mobile beachhaed in enemy space, maybe it could go into an anchored deathstar mode or something. Now you only need a few titans for sov warfare and they act more like your fleets true flagship.

Now moving around supers is to much of a ***** to do outside local invasions and home defence, so you basically nerf PL into oblivion and make it so smaller alliances can actually use supers.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=174097 Separate all 4 empires in eve with lowsec.

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-07-12 19:43:29 UTC
If you remove the Super part from them they would be ok to keep in game.
Basically nerf the EHP down to standard capital levels, remove the invulnerability to E-war, reduce the price and construction time, just all around bring them down to normal capital levels.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Ronny Hugo
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#50 - 2013-07-12 20:17:00 UTC
Hm, What we really have is a problem of escalation. All alliances are reluctant to escalate into supers and titans because that's what could be their downfall, losing a bunch of supers. Not because they don't have the resources to replace them, but because they only have as many supers as they have people to babysit them. They can't dock in any stations. So you alone can not have ten and bring them in to a fight one after the other like battleships. Supers require sitting alts and so you only have as many supers as you have alts. And while you have the resources to build ten Titans more right away, you don't have the alts for that. But since you must wait a month for a new Titan if you lose the one you have, you are reluctant to fight with the titan in an even fight. Because the enemy would know you lost your super and however many other supers, and then take advantage of that month taking territory.

I think making supers able to dock in particular huge stations would help, then they could have lots of supers and bring them in one after the other like battleships and triage carriers. Then the resources now built up as parts for supers, ready to put them together, would be put together, and we'd have lots of supers that can be brought in one by one to die in a jiffy.
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#51 - 2013-07-12 20:57:11 UTC
Add a mobile cyno jammer to titans.
Make it similar to the one for FW where it cant be constant thus titans will be committed to fights as there is less fear of "escalation", so then you kill them by having enough on grid to kill them before the cyno jammer finishes.

Or for real fun, make the pos fuel idea true but when it runs out boom! the self destruct is activated and you better have some more fuel!
Suddenly the proliferation slows as now you have to make sure they are fed, at a rate I would say equal to 100 blocks an hour.
Ronny Hugo
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#52 - 2013-07-12 21:08:56 UTC
NEONOVUS (Novus like in that game?)
I remind you that ships being destroyed is what makes the economy go, so that's the solution to capitals, make the players destroy more of them by daring to fly them even when its not a sure victory. Cyno jammers would just ensure they'd be even more careful on top of being careful because constructing supercaps take so long (the parts can be stacked mile high and are produced almost continually, but it takes so very long to put the parts together, and when you have the parts together you need someone to sit in it all the time, otherwise anyone could go up to it and take it).
Vendictus Prime
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#53 - 2013-07-12 23:05:32 UTC
Honestly, the best argument for removing Supers was the recent grind accomplished by PL, Nulli and NC. after losing their renters sov. Less than 2 days and they ground 200+ systems due to the use of supers.

Tiberu Stundrif wrote:

I agree that cutting their EHP would be a good start as well as their ecm invulnerability and while I was reading this forum I thought of, what if you limited any Titan and Supers jump ability to only systems you own SOV in as well as a limit on the number in a given system. 1 maybe 2 titans to a system and less than 10 total supers at any given time. With the EHP nerf and ecm vulnerability that makes fleets of subcaps able to kill the bigger ships. The SOV ownership issue would affect low sec, but I really do not see why they need to be there either. You have to own SOV to build them, why not restrict them solely to Null and limit how many can be in any specific location at all times.

An invading group would have to establish a beachhead with subcaps if they want to bring in their supers and titans which require them taking control of a specific system with TCU's and or SBU's. Add some more mechanics to also not make the new features to benefit one side or the other. Titans and Supers would then be a limited defenses tool only.

These ideas are very very preliminary and are designed to be expanded on and /or reworked from this forums contributors.
Ronny Hugo
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#54 - 2013-07-12 23:18:31 UTC
Vendictus Prime wrote:
Honestly, the best argument for removing Supers was the recent grind accomplished by PL, Nulli and NC. after losing their renters sov. Less than 2 days and they ground 200+ systems due to the use of supers.

Tiberu Stundrif wrote:

I agree that cutting their EHP would be a good start as well as their ecm invulnerability and while I was reading this forum I thought of, what if you limited any Titan and Supers jump ability to only systems you own SOV in as well as a limit on the number in a given system. 1 maybe 2 titans to a system and less than 10 total supers at any given time. With the EHP nerf and ecm vulnerability that makes fleets of subcaps able to kill the bigger ships. The SOV ownership issue would affect low sec, but I really do not see why they need to be there either. You have to own SOV to build them, why not restrict them solely to Null and limit how many can be in any specific location at all times.

An invading group would have to establish a beachhead with subcaps if they want to bring in their supers and titans which require them taking control of a specific system with TCU's and or SBU's. Add some more mechanics to also not make the new features to benefit one side or the other. Titans and Supers would then be a limited defenses tool only.

These ideas are very very preliminary and are designed to be expanded on and /or reworked from this forums contributors.

The problem is not killing them, but getting the enemy to commit them to battle when you might win. If you might win, they don't commit them to the battle. Making them easier to kill would just worsen this.
NEONOVUS
Mindstar Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#55 - 2013-07-13 02:28:47 UTC
Ronny Hugo wrote:
NEONOVUS (Novus like in that game?)
I remind you that ships being destroyed is what makes the economy go, so that's the solution to capitals, make the players destroy more of them by daring to fly them even when its not a sure victory. Cyno jammers would just ensure they'd be even more careful on top of being careful because constructing supercaps take so long (the parts can be stacked mile high and are produced almost continually, but it takes so very long to put the parts together, and when you have the parts together you need someone to sit in it all the time, otherwise anyone could go up to it and take it).

cyno jammers cut both ways and prevent all reinforcements.
Of course if you happen to have a hic and a fleet....
But yeah the idea is embolden the pilots so they come out more, right now deaths canbe attributed to awoxing and really not much else, there is no screw it send in the supers as with bcs and even t3s instead you have people utterly freaked at the concept of putting them in anything but we win or leave there is no die
also what game?
Jinli mei
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#56 - 2013-07-13 04:13:44 UTC
Vendictus Prime wrote:

While we're at it, using this example we should make spying and metagaming a bannable offense because it dropped 200+ systems without the use of any ships. (See how silly that sounds?)

This entire thread screams "move the goal post closer, I can't win."
Prelate Hucel-Ge
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2013-07-13 04:17:21 UTC
Oh, what's that? You spent how many years hoarding all of that Tech ISK and you still can't achieve supercap superiority over Pandemic Legion and Northern CoalitionDOT in the Fountain War? Too bad, so sad. Maybe you should use your supers once in a while and you wouldn't have people unsubbing their titans/supers due to sheer boredom.
Tiberu Stundrif
Nifty Idustries
Pandemic Horde
#58 - 2013-07-13 04:30:12 UTC
Jinli mei wrote:

I'm pretty sure many PL/NCdot super pilots agree with me on this. Removing them from game is really the only option for fixing a game mechanic broken the moment supers were introduced to this game.
Prelate Hucel-Ge
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2013-07-13 04:37:30 UTC
Tiberu Stundrif wrote:
Jinli mei wrote:

I'm pretty sure many PL/NCdot super pilots agree with me on this. Removing them from game is really the only option for fixing a game mechanic broken the moment supers were introduced to this game.

Name three people that actually matter and quote where they said this. :allears:
Tiberu Stundrif
Nifty Idustries
Pandemic Horde
#60 - 2013-07-13 04:43:22 UTC
Prelate Hucel-Ge wrote:
Tiberu Stundrif wrote:
Jinli mei wrote:

Name three people that actually matter and quote where they said this. :allears:

Why would I go on a quote-hunt to appease someone who obviously doesn't understand how much supers impact the game in a negative way?