These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Noob explorer seeking advices

Author
Leo Sagan
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-07-11 22:06:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Leo Sagan
Hi everyone !

First, my apologies for my English : this is not my 1st language.

I'm fairly new to EVE and I'm looking for advices. My toon is a young explorer (425 000 sp) flying an Imicus in low-sec. I created a 2nd toon (trial account) to scout ahead and so far, I didn't get caught. I'm not sure if it's because I'm doing things right (let's hope so) or by pure luck. I'd like to explain how I work and to read your advices to improve. I use two computers and two accounts.

1) Scout ahead, make my bookmarks
With my scout, I'll go visit a bunch of low-sec systems linked together. In every system, I'll put a "Safe Spot" bookmark (warp to a celestial, put a bookmark while warping, return to the bookmark, delete the bookmark, warp to another celestial, drop the real bookmark) + a "Safe Gate" bookmark at every useful gate (warp at 100km from the gate, go away until I'm at 150km+, put a bookmark).

After this work is done, I'll return to give a copy of my bookmarks to my main.

2) Exploration
The scout goes to the 1st low sec system, warps to the safe spot and makes sure everything is OK. My main joins him (he enters the system then warps to the safe spot). Then he scans the system, trying to find Data and Relic sites (I'm too young to use the other ones). During this scanning job, I use the D-Scan set to 360¨ and to the maximum range, in order to spot combat probes or any funny stuff. I also have the local chat open to be sure I can see who is entering / leaving the system.

Every time I locate a relevant signature, I warp in at 100km to be sure it's empty and the data / relic cans are still full, then I hack. After that, I return to the safe spot where my scout is waiting for me. The scout jump to a safe spot near the gate, and if there is no danger, he jumps in the next system. If there is no gate camp, he jumps to the safe spot in this system and my main follows him. Rinse and repeat.

3) Poor Richard's Imicus

• Low : 3 x "Warp Core Stabilizer 1"
  • Mid : 1 x "Cargo Scanner" // 1 x "1MN Microwarpdrive 1" // 1 x "Data Analyzer 1" // 1 x "Relic Analizer 1"
  • High : 1 x "Salvager 1" // 1 x "Core Probe Launcher 1" // A slot empty
  • Drone bay : 3 x Hobgoblins I (training Drones skill to 4 and to 5 after that)
  • Rigs : No rigs, poor Richard is poor :-)

4) My questions :

1. Is there something I'm doing wrong ?
  2. What can I do to be even more careful ?
  3. Do I use the D-scan properly ? I mean, I use the 360"/max range with the Overview basic "PVP" settings, is that enough ?
  4. How would you improve my ship fitting, knowing that I want to keep it unexpansive ?
  5. Do I really need 3 warp core stabilizers ? Any suggestion about my empty high slot ?

Thanks !
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#2 - 2013-07-11 22:37:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Xercodo
One thing I can think of right off the bat you might be doing wrong, the "Safe Gate" bookmarks.

(Gate)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Each tick above represents 10km, or 150km total.

You come out of a gate on the outside of it, 15km from the gate center itself

This means that, according to the diagram above, you might actually be 120km from the bookmark you thought was 150km away.

This difference isn't nearly as drastic as it is here but you get the idea, always add another 10km or so beyond the usual warp range. To test this try making the bookmark, warping to the gate/station, then trying to warp back to the bookmark. If you cant fly a bit in the opposite direction and THEN warp to go fix it.

The Drake is a Lie

Max Godsnottlingson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-07-11 23:04:32 UTC
Leo Sagan wrote:

3) Poor Richard's Imicus

• Mid : 1 x "Cargo Scanner" // 1 x "1MN Microwarpdrive 1" // 1 x "Data Analyzer 1" // 1 x "Relic Analizer 1"
  • High : 1 x "Salvager 1" // 1 x "Core Probe Launcher 1" // A slot empty
  • Drone bay : 3 x Hobgoblins I (training Drones skill to 4 and to 5 after that)

4) My questions :

1. Is there something I'm doing wrong ?
  2. What can I do to be even more careful ?
  3. Do I use the D-scan properly ? I mean, I use the 360"/max range with the Overview basic "PVP" settings, is that enough ?
  4. How would you improve my ship fitting, knowing that I want to keep it unexpansive ?
  5. Do I really need 3 warp core stabilizers ? Any suggestion about my empty high slot ?

Thanks !

You are pretty well on track with things. Main thing that I would advise, for that spare high slot. Train up so you can cloak.I am not in game, nor am I familiar with the Imicus, so I don't know if it can take a full cov ops cloak, that lets you warp while you are cloaked. But if not any cloak will be useful.
As an explorer, you are not a fighter. If anybody catches you, you are dead. So you need to think about making your self as uncatchable as possible, so you can never have enough WCS.
For the same reason don't bother with the drones and the salvager. I don't mean this in a nasty way. But you will lose a ship at sometime, so minimize your costs, don't carry what you don't need or cannot use.

But on the whole, you are doing well and heading in the right direction.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#4 - 2013-07-12 00:15:31 UTC
My main pointers would be that you're over-doing it and using some of your time inefficiently, though you have the core of it right:

Leo Sagan wrote:

1) Scout ahead, make my bookmarks
I'll put a "Safe Spot" bookmark (warp to a celestial, put a bookmark while warping, return to the bookmark, delete the bookmark, warp to another celestial, drop the real bookmark) + a "Safe Gate" bookmark at every useful gate (warp at 100km from the gate, go away until I'm at 150km+, put a bookmark).

This is the main one where you're wasting a lot of your time. A mid-point bookmark (the first one you made) already forces people to use probes to find you in your safe spot, doing the bit with the third celestial from the mid-point adds nothing safety-wise: they still have to scan you down, and you're still in the plane of the ecliptic so it's not rocket science.

If you're setting up safes fast, what I would do is make TWO mid-point safes. When you have to run away and people are chasing you, warp between the two every minute or so, or wait until you see 4 probes on the d-scan then instantly swap, wait, repeat. This will drive many probers quite nuts.

In low-sec, you don't NEED gate safes at all unless you're sniping or planning to fight a sniper fleet and need large-increment range control... there are no bubbles to dodge, just d-scan the gate to look for camps before warping instead, and when scouting bounce off an off-angle celestial to avoid people waiting for your warp-in.

Quote:
2) ExplorationDuring this scanning job, I use the D-Scan set to 360¨ and to the maximum range, in order to spot combat probes or any funny stuff.

Every time I locate a relevant signature, I warp in at 100km to be sure it's empty and the data / relic cans are still full, then I hack.

As with the above, learning to use d-scan well will save you a lot of pain here.

1 au = about 150 million km. There, now you can apply your scanning experience to d-scan.

Know how close you have to get 4 probes to 100% a site? While running sites, set your 360 degree d-scan to that, when you see three or four probes, bolt. It is much more common for a pirate to find you by scanning the site with regular probes than to scan you down with combat scanners.

Additionally keep in mind that someone looking for PvP targets will scan down the sites _beforehand_ and just pop in and out of them fast looking for the people in local. It's very hard to tell the difference between someone just hanging at a nearby celestial and someone warping at your face with d-scan 360, so it comes down to footwork again: stay away from your mission's warp-in point and keep an eye on it, because that's where the baddies are usually going to drop in.

Quote:
3) Poor Richard's Imicus

On the note of wasting effort, you only need 2 stabs (for total strength 3) to block a short point. There's no real reason to have 3, because if they're double-short-pointing you that's a total power of 4 and beats the 3-stab setup as easily as the 2-stab. I'd stick in some more agility or maybe a damage control unit in there for surviving to run away.

And a gravity capacitor rig is the best thing ever as a newer player exploring. Grab some sisters probes too, normal probes are for people with maxed skills.

The rest is fine.

• Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

• No, not really. You have the basics, but you can always do better, because eventually it turns into PvP through competition with other explorers and pirates, like everything else in Eve.

• What can I do to be even more careful ?
  • Do I use the D-scan properly ? I mean, I use the 360"/max range with the Overview basic "PVP" settings, is that enough ?

• The second question answers the first. Make sure your d-scan has player ships and probes on the overview tab (can also have NPC ships since they don't display if they're off-grid anyhow, mess around to see if you can get a clear d-scan with what you're using as a standard UI), read the info of people in local, use your people and places system to flag known pirates, make sure the tags you care about (like hostile and FW enemy and the setting you use for pirates) are at the top of the list so they're not overwritten.

And mostly remember that anything you can do, another player can do. The big one you're missing is that they can also scan and bookmark sites in advance, think about how that can be used to ambush you.

And, of course, the big rule: stealthed ships don't show up on d-scan. Anyone you don't actually see on scan could be right behind you, at any time. Have fun!

• How would you improve my ship fitting, knowing that I want to keep it unexpansive ?
  • Do I really need 3 warp core stabilizers ? Any suggestion about my empty high slot ?

• Covered.

And, finally, the most important piece of advice: you're working in low sec. Do not ever take anything personally, ever, or even seriously. Especially, if someone catches you and blows you the hell up, ask them for tips or how they did it, see if they know of other area pirates, ask what they were doing in the area and where they stage from, etc. Be polite, be friendly, and see how much you can get other people to help you. And by "help" I mean "inform", as an explorer and low-sec dweller you live and breathe information, intelligence, and forethought. When you lose "by luck" 99.999% of the time it's no such thing and the other guy either accurately predicted, outstrategized, or plain cheated and scouted you in advance.

Same with assholes: if people respond to you with rudeness, just shrug it off, maybe murder them later, nothing big or urgent. Coming after them half-cocked is what you'd call "taking the bait".
    Don Purple
    Snuggle Society
    Belligerent Undesirables
    #5 - 2013-07-12 08:09:28 UTC
    You are... vastly over doing it in my opinion, but whatever keeps you alive. Might I add no area in space is safe, keep your eyes out wherever you are.

I am just here to snuggle and do spy stuff.

Leo Sagan
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #6 - 2013-07-12 17:47:12 UTC
    Thanks a lot to you all , there's a lot of interesting infos in the thread, especially about the bookmarks, the d-scan and the fit. I'll try to adapt my gameplay accordingly and to concentrate on getting my covop ASAP. Actually, thanks to you all, I think I can even fly safer AND be more relaxed at the same time. I know there is no way to be 100% safe in lowsec but it's fun to be the prey and to survive, even though sometimes I'm pretty sure no one is chasing me for real and it's just me being paranoid. The thing is, it's part of the fun. Big smile
    And I'll try to chat next time I get killed : it's a game.
    dexington
    Caldari Provisions
    Caldari State
    #7 - 2013-07-13 00:04:52 UTC
    Leo Sagan wrote:
    Hi everyone !

The warp stabs seem like over kill to me, but if you like don't change it.

Get 3 rigs for relic sites (Small Emission Scope Sharpener I) they are cheap and 3 of them makes the sites a lot easier.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.