These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Revenant kill in the news

Author
Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-07-11 09:10:04 UTC
Oh my, the comments on that Yahoo article. I know it's Yahoo, but wow. What?
Prince Kobol
#22 - 2013-07-11 09:12:51 UTC
Who cares about the Rev.. Garth's Rage is what made it special.. damn I love that guy Big smile
Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-07-11 09:15:46 UTC
That Soundcloud is once to cherish.

But now I am sat here correcting the people on Yahoo. Please make me stop.
Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-07-11 09:21:16 UTC
Also Yahoo's commenting format is bad. I keep clicking 'more' and the same comments show up again.
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2013-07-11 09:29:11 UTC
TharOkha wrote:
OMG on those comments below article:

"I imagine the owner of this virtual ship probably doesn't have a girlfriend."
"That 9k could have made sweet upgrades in his parents' basement that he is living in."
"If someone spends $9,000 on a video game spaceship, it would be my pleasure to help destroy him."
"All virgins."
"This is why I hate pay to win games. That and I would never spend money on anything but the game itself."
"A dude spends $9,000 on a video game. Wow! That is POWERFUL stupid!"

And that's folks, is how misunderstandings are born. Roll Some readers just cant distinguish "wort of 9k" between "paid 9k for it"

but some of them are good:
"Some people's hobbies are "dumb" and worthless to others. The same thing we Gamers think of smokers and bar hoppers.To me video gaming is just fun!"
"A bad day playing eve online is still better then a good day at the office......"
""The only difference 'tween the men and the boys is the size of their feet and the price of their toys...""

But complaining about it on a home forum isn't going to change the public perception of the game.

This is the problem with games that have outside revenue streams that folks can claim a RL money value to them. Great for stroking ePeens, but the public views not only the players, the game, as stupid.

--

Yeah, really now the thing the Goons will be remembered for IS that ship going down.

Not Mitt. Not what antics they did (Burn Jita, et al). One freaking ship.

This is right up there with the BoB - CCP incident of EvE's most stupid moves.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2013-07-11 09:35:43 UTC
Sol Kal'orr wrote:

Free speech site.

My favorite news site since 1998.

Older than Google. Older than Facebook. Older than Twitter.

To think the youngest kids playing EvE today was just born then.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-07-11 09:51:12 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Sol Kal'orr wrote:

Free speech site.

Enlighten the group, how does old mean good?
Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2013-07-11 09:52:45 UTC
Seriously, I have just spent the last twenty minutes correcting grammatical errors on Yahoo.
Six Six Six
Doomheim
#29 - 2013-07-11 09:54:31 UTC
Sol Kal'orr wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Sol Kal'orr wrote:

Free speech site.

Enlighten the group, how does old mean good?

He didn't say it's good, just that it's his favourite news site.

Which means very little to the rest of us.
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#30 - 2013-07-11 09:55:22 UTC
Sol Kal'orr wrote:
Seriously, I have just spent the last twenty minutes correcting grammatical errors on Yahoo.

Duty calls?
Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2013-07-11 09:59:03 UTC
I just copy-pasted "He paid no RL money for that ship. I know it is a bad article but come on, read between the lines." four times in a minute, why am I doing this.
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#32 - 2013-07-11 10:09:42 UTC
Sol Kal'orr wrote:
I just copy-pasted "He paid no RL money for that ship. I know it is a bad article but come on, read between the lines." four times in a minute, why am I doing this.

You know You have to, and deep inside You also know You'd use fire, steel and lead to educate them if need be.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#33 - 2013-07-11 10:12:33 UTC
You Is Now A Proper Noun.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#34 - 2013-07-11 10:17:24 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
You Is Now A Proper Noun.

Eh, friggin german grammar -.-

It states that everytime you address someone in a written conversation or a letter directly you capitalize the form of address (I hope that was even remotely understandable).

I'd correct it in my original post but I already wasted my time on writing up this abomination.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2013-07-11 11:07:36 UTC
I am okay now.

I found a Condor in Losec named 'Hodor'.

I'll focus my anger on that.
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2013-07-11 12:02:54 UTC
Six Six Six wrote:
He didn't say it's good, just that it's his favourite news site.

Which means very little to the rest of us.

Before there was a Google. Before there was a Facebook/MySpace or whatever social media site that is "kewl" today, Yahoo existed.

It offered something people only had their local newspapers for to comment in with their Letters to the Editor section on the latest news.

I've been there commenting since 1998, and will attest that it's as free speech as the main stream news sites allow. Which is refreshing considering all the PC of late (just try to post "sensitive" comments on sites like CNN or Fox, to see what free speech is really about). Only other news site that is free speech friendly would be The Guardian, with their Free Speech is Free section (but they also moderate comments, but less than CNN/FOX/ABC/CBS/NBC/MSN news sites).

Is the news there reported "good", must news sites get their feeds from AP/UPI/Christian Science Monitor (which is one of the few news sites that have world wide in the field reporters still -- CNN and others rely on CSM reporters, and only have offices in the most news worthy areas of the world). So if folks complain about Yahoo News being "bad", well they're complaining about the MSM (which does have it's problems).

Sol Kal'orr
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2013-07-11 12:16:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Sol Kal'orr
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Before there was a Google. Before there was a Facebook/MySpace or whatever social media site that is "kewl" today, Yahoo existed.

I've been there commenting since 1998, and will attest that it's as free speech as the main stream news sites allow.

So, in the context of this thread - and the comments in the OP linked article - what you are saying is that free speech plus people equals bad-posting?

I have lurked here for awhile and this is the first time I have agreed with anything you have typed.

Edit: drunk ninja formatting.
Fear Near
No Fear PP
#38 - 2013-07-11 12:17:56 UTC
Quote:
Imagine spending years devoting your time and your finances to acquiring an impressive video game spaceship

I'm assuming it gets more depressing from here
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#39 - 2013-07-11 12:18:17 UTC
Six Six Six wrote:
TharOkha wrote:

Some readers just cant distinguish "wort of 9k" between "paid 9k for it"

That's because people try to compare in-game items with real currency, when in fact in-game items have no real currency value.

Wrong.

The one time I bought a PLEX to sell for ISK it was paid for with RL cash. PLEX is an ingame item. Do not tell me otherwise.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Sipphakta en Gravonere
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2013-07-11 12:34:47 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

The one time I bought a PLEX to sell for ISK it was paid for with RL cash. PLEX is an ingame item. Do not tell me otherwise.

A ingame PLEX has a monetary value of 0$. Just like the Revenant. It is really really stupid to say "Oh, he lost 8000 Dollar" because there is no thing in eve that has a dollar value of more than 0. What was lost was the time spent acquiring the ISK, but I'm not in the know how much ISK/hour the Revenant's pilot makes.