These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Revenant kill in the news

Author
Joran Jackson
The Red Circle Inc.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#1 - 2013-07-11 01:29:20 UTC
Browsing yahoo news tonight and what did I find?

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/video-game-starship-worth-9-000-destroyed-ambush-190533986.html

Featured piece, which means millions of people see it as a story on yahoo's main page.
Jumpshot244
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-07-11 01:38:06 UTC
Must be a really slow news day
Winterblink
#3 - 2013-07-11 01:44:07 UTC
Jumpshot244 wrote:
Must be a really slow news day

Seriously. Forbes and BBC too.
Azitek
Serenity Labs
#4 - 2013-07-11 01:56:42 UTC
Joran Jackson wrote:
which means millions of people see it as a story on yahoo's main page.

Let me stop you right there....

I kid. Always love seeing EVE in the news, thanks for sharing.
Joran Jackson
The Red Circle Inc.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#5 - 2013-07-11 02:05:18 UTC
Azitek wrote:
Joran Jackson wrote:
which means millions of people see it as a story on yahoo's main page.

Let me stop you right there....

I kid. Always love seeing EVE in the news, thanks for sharing.

110m site visits a day to yahoo's main page. Maybe slightly optimistic, but I'm not being crazy
Ckra Trald
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-07-11 02:44:00 UTC
I like how everyone isn't calling this not enough of a big deal when the forums exploded with rants about the revenant kill a day ago

http://www.rusemen.com/ Join Tengoo xd

Transmaritanus
Exergy.
#7 - 2013-07-11 02:46:01 UTC
Yahoo news is usually the most slanted liberal drivel ever, interspersed with human interest stories. Fortunately, Eve was one of those so yay!
Mikhail Dmitriev
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-07-11 04:11:13 UTC
My dad asked me what I knew about this at dinner, lol. Not sure how I feel with friends on both sides, though more recently Black Legion ones. EVE has a habit of making it into the news, much moreso than other MMOs.

Ah. Moving out again in a month, will miss the old man.
TharOkha
0asis Group
#9 - 2013-07-11 05:02:10 UTC  |  Edited by: TharOkha
OMG on those comments below article:

"I imagine the owner of this virtual ship probably doesn't have a girlfriend."
"That 9k could have made sweet upgrades in his parents' basement that he is living in."
"If someone spends $9,000 on a video game spaceship, it would be my pleasure to help destroy him."
"All virgins."
"This is why I hate pay to win games. That and I would never spend money on anything but the game itself."
"A dude spends $9,000 on a video game. Wow! That is POWERFUL stupid!"

And that's folks, is how misunderstandings are born. Roll Some readers just cant distinguish "worth of 9k" between "paid 9k for it"

but some of them are good:
"Some people's hobbies are "dumb" and worthless to others. The same thing we Gamers think of smokers and bar hoppers.To me video gaming is just fun!"
"A bad day playing eve online is still better then a good day at the office......"
""The only difference 'tween the men and the boys is the size of their feet and the price of their toys...""
Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#10 - 2013-07-11 05:04:49 UTC
Forbes has a game section so they feature lots of gaming news.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-07-11 05:34:32 UTC
GreenSeed
#12 - 2013-07-11 05:37:47 UTC  |  Edited by: GreenSeed
the only thing annoys me about plex has always been when people use it to explain something from eve to people who don't know or understand the game in detail.
"the ship was worth 9000usd!"
no it wasn't, there's an equivalence between plex and isk, yeah... but no one ever buys a ship for money like that... right?

right?
Inokuma Yawara
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-07-11 06:05:34 UTC
The article also sported a clear image of the space ship in question. It's the first clear look I got of it. Now I understand the turd jokes, and the joke about making a toilet shaped asteroid, in the thread about memorializing this ship wreck as a celestial body.

It really does look like a turd. Who designs these ships? Titans look like shlongs, and revenant looks like a turd. What's next? A POS that looks like a vagina?

Watch this space.  New exciting signature in development.

Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-07-11 07:39:54 UTC
Ahh, yahoo news comments. It's where the liberal neckbeards come out of their caves and spew insults at everything.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Yonis Kador
KADORCORP
#15 - 2013-07-11 07:50:31 UTC
Just spotted this story over at Yahoo! myself and was going to write about it too until I saw this topic. It's always great to see EVE getting free press and national exposure. Congrats.

YK
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#16 - 2013-07-11 08:05:53 UTC
Inokuma Yawara wrote:
What's next? A POS that looks like a vagina?

I'd support that, I bet it'd feel warm and comfy...

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Six Six Six
Doomheim
#17 - 2013-07-11 08:09:58 UTC
TharOkha wrote:

Some readers just cant distinguish "wort of 9k" between "paid 9k for it"

That's because people try to compare in-game items with real currency, when in fact in-game items have no real currency value.
TigerXtrm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-07-11 08:39:42 UTC
GreenSeed wrote:
the only thing annoys me about plex has always been when people use it to explain something from eve to people who don't know or understand the game in detail.
"the ship was worth 9000usd!"
no it wasn't, there's an equivalence between plex and isk, yeah... but no one ever buys a ship for money like that... right?

right?

Wrong.

At least one person at one time, somewhere, somehow, for some reason must have been stupid enough to sink that much money into this game at once thinking it would make him unbeatable..

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#19 - 2013-07-11 08:41:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Darek Castigatus
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/07/09/eve-online-player-loses-a-spaceship-worth-approximately-9000/

heres a link to the forbes article - simple and to the point and the comments arent totaly braindead, I'd call that a result myself.

Can someone link the BBC article, im having trouble finding it.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome

Six Six Six
Doomheim
#20 - 2013-07-11 09:04:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Six Six Six
Although this is not directly related it's worth saying as people get confused over this.

I'll use WoW as an example as you can buy directly from their shop with real currency.

If you pay for a Celestial Mount (I did when I was drunk once) you are not buying the Celestial Mount, you are paying for the use of it and helping to pay towards it's development costs.
123Next pageLast page