These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is Astrometrics V still worth training?

Author
Gaerlan Harbinger
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-07-09 06:50:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Gaerlan Harbinger
I just came back to Eve Online after a two year break and I saw they revised the scanning system again. Ignoring jump portal generation, is Astrometrics V and Astrometric Rangefinding/other astrometrics level V skills still worth the training time for scanning down enemy ships, 0.0 plexes, and wormhole space now that the primary benefits of deep space probes and having 8 probes are gone? Also, is it still possible to create unprobable ships like unprobable tengus?
Random Woman
Very Professional Corporation
#2 - 2013-07-09 09:52:04 UTC
A CovOps with eccm in a WolfRayet c5+ is pretty much unscannable.

As for astrometrics 5, it enables you to take the T2 probelauncher, better than the t1, not as good as the sisters, but also way cheaper than the sisters.

Also you need it for opening jumpportals (blops got more jumprange now)
Freighdee Katt
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-07-09 11:09:35 UTC
Random Woman wrote:

How does ECCM help make you unscannable? I also have seen people say the sensor comp skills help make you harder to scan down. But nothing about the description or stats of these skills suggests they have any effect on this. Is there some stealth stat that is being buffed here that is not visible anywhere in game?

EvE is supposed to suck.  Wait . . . what was the question?

Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-07-09 11:21:49 UTC
No astro 5 in no longer worth training.
makes virtually zero difference.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Random Woman
#5 - 2013-07-09 11:38:05 UTC
Freighdee Katt wrote:
Random Woman wrote:

How does ECCM help make you unscannable? I also have seen people say the sensor comp skills help make you harder to scan down. But nothing about the description or stats of these skills suggests they have any effect on this. Is there some stealth stat that is being buffed here that is not visible anywhere in game?

The scan forumula includes your sensor strenght as a factor, along with your ship sig.

Wolf Rayet reduces your sig, Eccm increases you sensor strenght (both factors make it hader to scan you down).

Thats the reason why miners with mining drones used to be dead meat in WHs until CCP decided to let Team EVE is for everyone "improve" all the mechanics.

While the barges were big they also had at least some sensor strenght, for example a hulk with 3 ECCM was very hard to scan down, in a WR you were more likely to get the core site before finding that hulk. If that hulk would have used mining drones you would have gotten it a lot faster (probably on 8 or 4 AU) as the mining drones have a small sig (25m or so) but only a sensor strenght of 1. So the sensor strenght to sig ratio of the drones most likely got your Hulk killed :) (You would have scanned the drones down instead of the Hulk)

Covert ops have a small sig and for a frig a rather high sensor strengh, improve that by one or two ECCM and i would think even a fully skilled scanning char with virtue set wouldnt be able to scan you down, that was before the introduction of the new scanning modules though.
Freighdee Katt
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-07-09 13:39:16 UTC
Random Woman wrote:
The scan forumula includes your sensor strenght as a factor, along with your ship sig.

Wolf Rayet reduces your sig, Eccm increases you sensor strenght (both factors make it hader to scan you down).

Thats the reason why miners with mining drones used to be dead meat in WHs until CCP decided to let Team EVE is for everyone "improve" all the mechanics.

While the barges were big they also had at least some sensor strenght, for example a hulk with 3 ECCM was very hard to scan down, in a WR you were more likely to get the core site before finding that hulk. If that hulk would have used mining drones you would have gotten it a lot faster (probably on 8 or 4 AU) as the mining drones have a small sig (25m or so) but only a sensor strenght of 1. So the sensor strenght to sig ratio of the drones most likely got your Hulk killed :) (You would have scanned the drones down instead of the Hulk)

Covert ops have a small sig and for a frig a rather high sensor strengh, improve that by one or two ECCM and i would think even a fully skilled scanning char with virtue set wouldnt be able to scan you down, that was before the introduction of the new scanning modules though.

Interesting. Thanks.

EvE is supposed to suck.  Wait . . . what was the question?

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-07-09 17:42:18 UTC
Random Woman wrote:

As for astrometrics 5, it enables you to take the T2 probelauncher, better than the t1, not as good as the sisters, but also way cheaper than the sisters.

you cant be scanned while cloaked anyway...
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#8 - 2013-07-09 21:37:25 UTC
Random Woman wrote:

Back in the day, mobile warp disruptors had a sensor strength of 0 and could not be located with probes.

CCP finally gave them sensor strength >0 so they could be probed, and there was much rejoicing in w-space.
Random Woman
#9 - 2013-07-10 05:35:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Random Woman
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Random Woman wrote:

you cant be scanned while cloaked anyway...

But where is the fun, without Lolcal you have to reproduce the rage, that forces everyone in 0.0 to log off once you enter a system somehow.
GreenSeed
#10 - 2013-07-10 17:49:16 UTC
if you have it already, good for you, it is in no way wasted sp. if you don't have it and the character will be focused on probing, leave it for last.

any of the support stills to 5 will allow the t2 scanning upgrades. for example the scanning time one at 5 gives you 5% less scanning time from skills and an additional -10% from the t2 mod. way better than astro V.

given that probing is now easier, you want it done faster before having it done proper.
Gaerlan Harbinger
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-07-10 18:49:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Gaerlan Harbinger
Thanks everyone. Big smile I have a scan alt on a 2nd account that had Astrometrics V and other skills at IV when I played two years ago and the other scan skills at 4 sitting in a covops with sisters launcher and probes. My other character is a combat character and may be fitting a launcher on an unbonused ship. The prober alt doesn't have a virtue set of implants. After the changes would a virtue set still be really good?