These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Teenage gamer may go to prison for 8 years.

First post
Author
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#321 - 2013-07-06 16:52:17 UTC
Tumahub wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Tumahub wrote:
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:

Next time you talk to security at an airport and declare that you have explosives in your luggage, do tell us what happens.

We will, of course, wait.

So you think the TSA needs to be in schools or listening in on gamers? Sorry, I know you probably thought that was clever, but you need to stay on the immediate topic for your jokes to make sense.

Sounds like you enjoy a good groping and radiation bath at the airport. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it should be mandatory.

I just knew you were not old enough to remember Sept 11, 2001.

"9-11 changed everything."

-Sean Hannity, Fox News

So I guess this is your way of coming out as a conservative?

You draw the oddest conclusions.

Conservative ?? Not this San Francisco fa**ot.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#322 - 2013-07-06 16:54:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Tumahub
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Tumahub wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Tumahub wrote:
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:

Next time you talk to security at an airport and declare that you have explosives in your luggage, do tell us what happens.

We will, of course, wait.

So you think the TSA needs to be in schools or listening in on gamers? Sorry, I know you probably thought that was clever, but you need to stay on the immediate topic for your jokes to make sense.

Sounds like you enjoy a good groping and radiation bath at the airport. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it should be mandatory.

I just knew you were not old enough to remember Sept 11, 2001.

"9-11 changed everything."

-Sean Hannity, Fox News

So I guess this is your way of coming out as a conservative?

Well that just sounds like a conservative line. I mean, who just drops 9-11 as an excuse for people being groped and x-rayed en mass?

Sure Mr. Hannity and O'riley did it while Bush was president. They were partisan war mongering hacks.

But surely you, a peace-loving anti-war liberal, who wants civil rights for everyone, would not advocate for such barbaric behavior in the name of "security."
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#323 - 2013-07-06 16:54:49 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
all teenagers should go to prison.

Robert Heinlein wrote an entire essay about why all males need to be shut up in barrels and fed through the bunghole until they are 21. It's actually quite convincing. Can be found in his "Expanding Universe" anthology.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#324 - 2013-07-06 16:56:07 UTC
Tumahub wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

Well that just sounds like a conservative line. I mean, who just drops 9-11 as an excuse for people being groped and x-rayed en mass?

Sure Mr. Hannity and O'riley did it while Bush was president. They were partisan war mongering hacks.

But surely you, a peace-loving anti-war liberal, who wants civil rights for everyone, would not advocate for such barbaric behavior in the name of "security."

Because those things were not requirements before that date. herp-a-derp derp

Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#325 - 2013-07-06 16:59:22 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

Because those things were not requirements before that date. herp-a-derp derp

So you would agree that you support most of the policies enacted by Bush?

That doesn't sound very liberal.
ISD Tyrozan
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#326 - 2013-07-06 19:33:34 UTC
Removed post with sexual content.

Forum rule 6. Racism and discrimination are prohibited.

ISD Tyrozan

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

@ISDTyrozan | @ISD_CCL

Kanmar Centae
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#327 - 2013-07-06 21:11:24 UTC
Teen needs the HTFU for the next 8 years. Sarcasm is fine and even threatening my in game character I could give two s's about. Threaten real people guess you may do real time. Restraint is a beautiful thing.
Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#328 - 2013-07-06 21:30:32 UTC
Kanmar Centae wrote:
Teen needs the HTFU for the next 8 years. Sarcasm is fine and even threatening my in game character I could give two s's about. Threaten real people guess you may do real time. Restraint is a beautiful thing.

“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”
-George Orwell, 1984
jason hill
Red vs Blue Flight Academy
#329 - 2013-07-07 11:07:23 UTC
errrm ... I`m sort of confused on this one so please enlighten me

a person in Canada takes offence about what someone says in another country and has that person prosecuted ?.

am I understanding this correctly ?
sorry im not that clued up with international law ...but as far as I`m aware he actually hasn't broken any laws as far as I can see (he`s a fkn twatt for what he said )
but I don't believe 8 years in prison is justified

what ever happened to a punch in the face

please ...someone enlighten me on this one
Hessian Arcturus
Doomheim
#330 - 2013-07-07 11:27:06 UTC
jason hill wrote:
errrm ... I`m sort of confused on this one so please enlighten me

a person in Canada takes offence about what someone says in another country and has that person prosecuted ?.

am I understanding this correctly ?
sorry im not that clued up with international law ...but as far as I`m aware he actually hasn't broken any laws as far as I can see (he`s a fkn twatt for what he said )
but I don't believe 8 years in prison is justified

what ever happened to a punch in the face

please ...someone enlighten me on this one

Huffington post link to current story

Also, as far as I am aware, no current update on the verdict.

It's human nature to want to explore. To find your line and go beyond it. The only limit, is the one you set yourself.

Myfanwy Heimdal
Heimdal Freight and Manufacture Inc
#331 - 2013-07-07 11:42:09 UTC
From what I understand that there's been more than one or two incidents in American schools and colleges by teens who, for little reason, become unhinged and then end up on a killing spree.

I would imagine that the authorities are sick and tired of these incidents. The NRA wouldn't be too pleased neither because it'll put them in a negative light. Don't get me wrong, I am no supporter of the NRA but I can equally appreciate their frustrations as some idiot runs amok with automatic weapons; even the most dyed-in-the-wool NRA supporter woudl say that this isn't really what they want.

So, we have a young lad who then makes a threat which is completely out of order. The authorites have a number of choices; ignore him and hope he doesn't do anything stupid or, two, lock him up for a few days and tell him to grow a brain or, thirdly, make an example of him because (2) won't stop the next imbecile from mouthing off.

In the US one of the basic principles there is Free Speech. But that even has its limits; I thinkl that everyone understand that shouting "Fire" in a crowded theatre without reason is beyond the scope of free speech.

This is much the same; the lad made a threat and the sort of idot who makes such a threat which, let's face it no normal straight thinking person would, can be seen to the sort of person to go Postal.

I have no complaint about the possibility of the eight year term. He won't get it but he does deserve to be very worried about it and, perhaps, just perhaps, it may stop other idiots from issuing a threat before engaging the brain.

Pam:  I wonder what my name means in Welsh?Nessa: Why?

jason hill
#332 - 2013-07-07 11:53:07 UTC
but this what I`m trying hard to understand

who is it that decides what is right ..and what is wrong

especially as the person who isn`t even from that country
he`s an idiot for what he said of that there is no question

does this mean that if I say that the French are a bunch of cheese eating surrender monkys then does this mean im off to jail ?.

ps...ive got a few French mates

and if they call me roast beef can I get them jailed ?

even though they are in a different country
Hessian Arcturus
Doomheim
#333 - 2013-07-07 11:55:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Hessian Arcturus
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:
From what I understand that there's been more than one or two incidents in American schools and colleges by teens who, for little reason, become unhinged and then end up on a killing spree.

I would imagine that the authorities are sick and tired of these incidents. The NRA wouldn't be too pleased neither because it'll put them in a negative light. Don't get me wrong, I am no supporter of the NRA but I can equally appreciate their frustrations as some idiot runs amok with automatic weapons; even the most dyed-in-the-wool NRA supporter woudl say that this isn't really what they want.

So, we have a young lad who then makes a threat which is completely out of order. The authorites have a number of choices; ignore him and hope he doesn't do anything stupid or, two, lock him up for a few days and tell him to grow a brain or, thirdly, make an example of him because (2) won't stop the next imbecile from mouthing off.

In the US one of the basic principles there is Free Speech. But that even has its limits; I thinkl that everyone understand that shouting "Fire" in a crowded theatre without reason is beyond the scope of free speech.

This is much the same; the lad made a threat and the sort of idot who makes such a threat which, let's face it no normal straight thinking person would, can be seen to the sort of person to go Postal.

I have no complaint about the possibility of the eight year term. He won't get it but he does deserve to be very worried about it and, perhaps, just perhaps, it may stop other idiots from issuing a threat before engaging the brain.

Same argument that has been made repeatedly in this thread and I have to dissagree. I have on many a time said to someone "You do that and I swear to god i'll kill you" in a joking way. This kid, said something as a joke. He didn't plan to walk into the school. He didn't plan to eat the still beating hearts of the children. He didn't do anything wrong at all.

It is as you said, number three on your list. He is being made an example of and its being blown out of proportion. What sort of world will we live in if everything is monitored and people are placed in prison because of jokes and things that are said in passing?

Im pretty sure everyone, yes everyone, has made a questionable comment at somepoint in their lives. Would people rather have people be held accountable for them via incarceration for months with a possibility of 8 years? If thats the case, might as well put every 12 year old foul mouthed COD player in jail if that's the case. When I used to play they always used to tell me they were coming to slit my throat or **** my mother or whatever.

It's human nature to want to explore. To find your line and go beyond it. The only limit, is the one you set yourself.

Myfanwy Heimdal
#334 - 2013-07-07 12:16:28 UTC
Hessian Arcturus wrote:

This kid, said something as a joke. He didn't plan to walk into the school. He didn't plan to eat the still beating hearts of the children. He didn't do anything wrong at all.

I do agree with you in spirit. But as for doing something wrong; he clearly did as what he did was contrary to the various laws and statutes.

In a place where killings are far too frequent, it's easy to understand how the authorities said "I'm sick of this, you're coming off the streets" and he'll be out with a slapped wrist in a few weeks.

Which is fine if he is as the final warning to the idiots will have been served.

Hessian Arcturus wrote:
If thats the case, might as well put every 12 year old foul mouthed COD player in jail if that's the case. When I used to play they always used to tell me they were coming to slit my throat or **** my mother or whatever.

I have no time for these foul-mouthed brats and just because it's the internet it doesn't give them the right to mouth off such obscenities. It's just a lack of grace and respect for one's fellow gamer and the world is simply too full of mornons like this and if one gets removed from the game universe every now and then for a month or two then I applaud it.

To some people these comments may be a joke, a sick and twisted joke. But to others it may not. I, myself, got a "I want to feck your mother up the 'arris" message from a vile creature the week that I buried mine. To him it may of being a prank but to me, at the time, it wasn't. In fact, it never will be.

Who is to say that someone reading of that message wasn't rightly offended and the Canadian wrote a formal complain on their friend's behalf?

There's no place for this moronic behavour anywhere and if the individual can't control and police their own actions then someday someone else will. For that Texan lad that day had arrived

jason hill
#335 - 2013-07-07 12:24:01 UTC
so we should just shut down the internet then ?. people not allowed opinions anymore ?.

freedom of speech working as intended ?.

he`s an idiot ....but he hasn't actually done anything
jason hill
#336 - 2013-07-07 12:33:43 UTC
ok ...here`s a solution

I think everyone agrees he needs to be punished but eight years is a fkn joke

why don't we go back and do what the people in the medieval periods did ..
bring back the stocks
a half hour in the stocks getting rotten vegitibles thrown at you is a big enough deterant to put anyone one off
Myfanwy Heimdal
#337 - 2013-07-07 12:34:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Myfanwy Heimdal
Yes, you are allowed opinions, I didn't say anywhere where opinions weren't allowed and nowhere did I even suggest that the internet ought to be closed down.

Okay, let's have opnions. Nothing wrong with opinions but's let's have opinions that you hold by rather than lies.

By this if I say that I am not keen on a certain section of society, or how a part of society is run or that I am going or not going to do something then let's make it truthful.

Everything that I have written here in this thread and every other message since my first message on Eve and, in fact on any message board anywhere on the internet at any time, or BBS in time before that, has been truthful. And because I never intented ever to harm anyone I have never had ever had the need to threaten anyone.

If someone comes onto the internet and fouls the waters by being an utter prat and, in doing so, breaks the law then he fullly deservers what he gets. And, yes, he did something wrong - he fell foul of the law with respect to publishing various threats which cannot be taken lightly.

Yes, let's have freedom of speech but let's add a proviso - you can say what you want but it had better be true to your feelings and intentions. And then beware of the consequences. I am the biggest advocate of freedom of speech but I know that with some freedoms comes reposnsibilities. That fact may now have dawned onto that idiot.

So, no. I don't think it's the right thing to do is to do as you suggest and close down the internet.

Myfanwy Heimdal
#338 - 2013-07-07 12:35:21 UTC
jason hill wrote:
ok ...here`s a solution

I think everyone agrees he needs to be punished but eight years is a fkn joke

why don't we go back and do what the people in the medieval periods did ..
bring back the stocks
a half hour in the stocks getting rotten vegitibles thrown at you is a big enough deterant to put anyone one off

Now, that is worthy of a virtual pint. Let me buy you the first.

Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#339 - 2013-07-07 12:36:02 UTC
Has this guy been freed yet?

Cause this is silly, I've heard worst things on the net....

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#340 - 2013-07-07 19:16:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Tumahub
Alice Saki wrote:
Has this guy been freed yet?

No.

Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:

I do agree with you in spirit. But as for doing something wrong; he clearly did as what he did was contrary to the various laws and statutes.

Because many fascistic liberals and conservatives alike believe this line of reasoning is valid.

The fact is almost every American commits three felonies per day unwittingly and ignorance of the exponential growth of law is "no excuse."

So to say he deserves what he gets because "he broke the law," is like saying he deserves what he gets because he put on his shoes this morning. In a world where living normally is breaking the law, anyone who champions "the law," over reason itself, is a boot-heel licking fascist toad.

The stated purpose of having a judicial system is to see that miscarriages of justice like this don't happen.