These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey 1.1] Skill group name changes

First post First post First post
Author
Hakaru Ishiwara
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#281 - 2013-07-05 01:47:19 UTC
I don't mean to derail the topic, but why not spend the time and resources allocated towards this work on POS upgrades which will win you serious loyalty and kudos from your existing [and paying] customers?

+++++++ I have never shed a tear for a fellow EVE player until now. Mark “Seleene” Heard's Blog Honoring Sean "Vile Rat" Smith.

Maldiro Selkurk
Radiation Sickness
#282 - 2013-07-05 04:17:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Maldiro Selkurk
Hakaru Ishiwara wrote:
I don't mean to derail the topic, but why not spend the time and resources allocated towards this work on POS upgrades which will win you serious loyalty and kudos from your existing [and paying] customers?

I give them kudos for fixing a system that is clearly broken and im an existing and paying customer.

"What you want" doesn't not necessarily make your issue more important than what others feel is a good idea (see several previous posts where the poster expressed a fondness for this proposal).

It also does not imply that there is a general consensus that "we the paying customer base" feel your proposal is more important than the topic of discussion.

I would advise against the argumentative form of "we" and instead simply and succinctly express your opinion and let it rise or fall in the arena of public discourse based on its merits or lack thereof.

Yawn,  I'm right as usual. The predictability kinda gets boring really.

buffindy
Perkone
Caldari State
#283 - 2013-07-05 04:57:15 UTC
will this make it easier to tell the Q key from the Z key?
Heinel Coventina
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#284 - 2013-07-05 05:48:01 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
Update based on what we have seen so far.

[list]
Starship Piloting instead of Starship Command:
  • For this particular point we wanted to distinguish the skill and the group so they do not overlap - it also ties on other plans we have on the future. However, we hear you, agreed it sounds less appealing than the one we have currently - we'll discuss this point internally again.

• This should be Starship Mastery.
    Commander A9
    True North Solutions
    Aurora Alliance
    #285 - 2013-07-05 07:07:19 UTC
    The certificate adjustment and adding more of them I like.

But the renaming of skill categories I feel is a waste of time; it doesn't terribly do anything drastic other than change of a few names. And I feel like it is being considered as 'change for the sake of change to avoid stagnation.'

Recommendations:

-enable ships wobbling in hangar view (pre-Captains Quarters)

-add more missions (NPC fleet vs. NPC fleets that actually shoot)

-STOP NERFING EVERYTHING!

Join Live Events!

Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
    Republic Military Tax Avoiders
    #286 - 2013-07-05 07:07:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
    Heinel Coventina wrote:
    CCP Ytterbium wrote:

[list]
    Starship Piloting instead of Starship Command:
  • For this particular point we wanted to distinguish the skill and the group so they do not overlap - it also ties on other plans we have on the future. However, we hear you, agreed it sounds less appealing than the one we have currently - we'll discuss this point internally again.

• This should be Starship Mastery.

Nope, Starship Mastery = Advanced Starship Command.
    And then:
    we already have dungeons(CCP definition of deadspace pockets)
    all management skills > mastery skills
    specialization skills > attunement skills
    Corporations > Guilds
    Missions > Quests
    Capacitor > Mana
    Cap Battery > Mana potion
    Modules > spells
    (small/medium/large) Shield/Armor Booster/Repairer > (minor/-/major) shield/armor healing spell
    SP > EXP
    Off/on-grid booster > Buffer
    Logistics > Healing
    Cloaking > Hiding
    Every lvl in support skills for any weapon system will give +1 to that weapon's name: gunnery 5, surgery strike 4, Large energy turret 4 = +13 Tachyon Beam Laser. WIth every + guns get bigger model and at certain + start to glow.
    etc...

Would that make game easier to understand for new players? Maybe. Would that be better for game? Certainly not.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Alexila Quant
    Versatility Production Corporation' LLC
    #287 - 2013-07-05 08:50:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Alexila Quant
    Spaceship Piloting is just bad. I didn't mention it on my first post because I figured it would quickly get changed but it hasn't yet so I must say something.

'Space Ship Control' (or Command), or more concise; 'Ship Control/Command' would be a better route to take if you MUST rename the category (I don't see a reason)

CPU Management is not immersion friendly and sounds bad (Same with Power Grid Management, and, well all of your current name changes)

You can be specific and explanatory with your naming conventions without being robotic.

Just a few ideas;

Processor Enhancement
    Processor Management
    Computer Engineering
    Electronics Engineering
    (Since the sole reason for this change as you said is to not have the skill name be the same as the category name)

Target Management
    Advanced Target Management

Power Core Management
    Power Core Enhancement

Category gripes:

Renaming the Electronics category and shifting some skills around sure, but if you're switching it to only offensive Electronic Warfare skills then switch it to something along those lines. Not 'Electronic System' (See point above about being robotic).

Ideas:
    Electronic Warfare? Roll
    Offensive Electronic Systems
    Offensive Electronics

Cutting down Missile Launcher Operation I can understand but again with the robotic approach.

Ideas:

Missile Operation?
    Missile Control

My original gripes were with regard to you guys needlessly over complicating the sorting. Merging the subsystems and Rigs skills into one category is counterproductive as well as splitting up the Planetary interaction skills into how ever many different places you are putting them.

I would strongly suggest, however, splitting the spaceship command skills into racial folders with an Advanced Ship Command folder for all of the non-racial ship command skills. There are FAR too many skills in this category that can easily be sorted down to something more manageable.

Minmatar Ship Command
    -Minmatar Frigate
    -Minmatar Cruiser
    -

Amarr Ship Command
    -
    -

Caldari Ship Command
    -
    -

Gallente Ship Command
    -
    -

Advanced Ship Command
    -Interceptors
    -Recon Ships
    -

Spaceship Command and
    Advanced Spaceship Command could be moved to Navigation since they affect align time and are technically navigation skills in practice.

Tech 3 Ship Command

( would say move the Strategic Cruiser skills into this folder rather than the Ship Command folders but they could fit in either place.)

That's all the moaning I have for you now. I'll think of more later probably.
    Vorll Minaaran
    Centre Of Attention
    #288 - 2013-07-05 09:46:01 UTC
    Hi,

I can accept your desire to make the skillnames more newbie-friendly, but you do exactly as the item name change: finding out the worst new names and alienating the older players. It's really sad. :( How many times will you make the same mistake?

Some constructive thoughts:
    If the goal to eliminate the same groupnames and skillnames, would be better to rename the Spaceship command and Advance spaceship command skills. Those skills affect the ship agility, so could be Spaceship control and Advanced spaceship control instead.
    Or maybe the group could be Spaceship Operation as the skill description says so: "Skill at operating Amarr frigates."

The ultimate solution would be some new UI for skills, more visual, tree or graph-like or as like John McCreedy's post #247 in this thread.
    And need some modul info which show the affecting skills on that module like in EFT.
    Eli Kzanti
    Brutor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #289 - 2013-07-05 10:08:44 UTC
    'spaceship piloting' - honestly? You'd rather call it that than spaceship command? 'Spaceship Piloting' is the dumbest name for a skill group in EVE you could've come up with... What has this EA man done to you, CCP...

And don't even get me started on how stupid 'multiple targeting' sounds...
    War Kitten
    Panda McLegion
    #290 - 2013-07-05 11:20:42 UTC
    CCP Ytterbium wrote:

EVE gameplay and sense of loss should be harsh, dark and unforgiving, in that there is no doubt and we agree completely. However, fighting the UI at every turn should not be the main complexity point here

Where was this principle when the loot spew mechanic was thought to be a wonderful idea?

"Let's make it hard to get everything by introducing a UI mechanic that makes it hard!"

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

valthyr
    Order of the Void Logistics
    #291 - 2013-07-05 11:27:15 UTC
    I have to say I like most of the changes except the part about lumping the subsystems skills in with Ship Modifications, I honestly believe that the subsystems need to remain their own group or a sub group under Ship modifications.
    Turelus
    Utassi Security
    #292 - 2013-07-05 12:23:44 UTC
    Spaceship Command sounds better than Spaceship Piloting IMO, can't we keep it?What?

Turelus CEO Utassi Security

Elena Thiesant
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #293 - 2013-07-05 12:31:06 UTC
    Hosedna wrote:
    I really would have kept the old Planetology group intact. Now the planet skills are in 2 or 3 groups, which defeats the whole purpose of the rename pass imho !

This. Absolutely.
    Sahriah BloodStone
    State War Academy
    Caldari State
    #294 - 2013-07-05 12:31:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Sahriah BloodStone
    Most of the changes are awesome. I definitely agree with creating new groups to have things more organized.

There are a couple things that sound kinda silly though.

1. Engineering and electronics were fine. The names are a little long winded now, but i could live with it
    2. Spaceship piloting - Really? Sounds like the way a 7yr old would describe it. Spaceship command was WAY better, please don't change this. I'm playing a grown up game (incoming lols)
    3. Targeting was fine. I think Targeting and Advanced targeting would sound better, or something like Target Acquisition and Advanced Target Acquisition.
    4. Please keep all the planetary interaction skills together
    5. Missile ? No Missile Launcher operation was perfect, no touchy!
    6. Electronic system? Why not Electronic Warfare?

As Alexila Quant said above, Keep it immersion friendly. 'Processor' for CPU and 'Power core' for PG. Dont dumb things down to much

Try to keep everything sounded advanced and professional, other then that its fantastic you guys are grouping everything into more intuitive sections!

Sahriah Bloodstone

No.Mercy // Triumvirate

"Never underestimate your enemy or disrespect its abilities. If you do, you shall become the hunted "

Galen Dnari
    Dnari Mining and Manufacturing
    #295 - 2013-07-05 12:48:37 UTC
    Keep Spaceship Command and Advanced Spaceship Command. If you must change the group name, change it to Spaceship Operation. Or do it the other way around.

Subsystems are not rigs. Don't group them together.

Non sequitur: What happens to a capsuleer who is killed when outside his pod?

http://eveboard.com/ub/1939472205-31.png

Harvey James
    The Sengoku Legacy
    #296 - 2013-07-05 13:00:27 UTC
    Electronic warfare skill doesn't tell you its actually an ecm cap reduction skill....

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Bienator II
    madmen of the skies
    #297 - 2013-07-05 14:02:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Bienator II
    i think you guys should review the complete set of drone skills.

Just took another quick look and its full with inconsistencies.

example:
    scout drone operation -> (scout?) drone range (is the description even correct? doesn't count for heavies?)
    combat drone operation -> light + medium dps (heavy drones are no combat drones?)
    heavy drone operation -> dps
    sentry drone interfacing -> dps
    electronic warfare drone interfacing -> drone range for all drones

thanks for listening, much appreciated

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Mila Strelok
    Sebiestor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #298 - 2013-07-05 14:14:43 UTC
    Eve Online is dying...
    Harvey James
    The Sengoku Legacy
    #299 - 2013-07-05 14:15:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Harvey James
    Bienator II wrote:
    i think you guys should review the complete set of drone skills.

Just took another quick look and its full inconsistencies.

example:
    scout drone operation -> (scout?) drone range (is the description even correct? doesn't count for heavies?)
    combat drone operation -> light + medium dps (heavy drones are no combat drones?)
    heavy drone operation -> dps
    sentry drone interfacing -> dps
    electronic warfare drone interfacing -> drone range for all drones

thanks for listening, much appreciated

there are loads of inconsistencies with skills names and effects.
    Drone skills need a good re balance and new ones added
    Guns need sorting out needing small specs in order to train large specs make no sense.
    missiles skills need reducing from 10% to 5% to be brought back into line with the rest of the skills.
    T3 subs should take longer to train and remove SP loss
    T3 ships shouldn't need cruiser lv5 as a pre-req to train
    add a shield extender efficiency skill that reduces sig rad penalty by 5% on shield extenders

T3's need to be versatile so no rigs are necessary ... they should not have OP dps and tank

ABC's should be T2, remove drone assist, separate HAM's and Torps range, -3 HS for droneboats

Nerf web strength, Make the blaster Eagle worth using

Akiko Sciuto
    Caldari Provisions
    Caldari State
    #300 - 2013-07-05 14:29:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Akiko Sciuto
    Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
    I give them kudos for fixing a system that is clearly broken and im an existing and paying customer.

Please explain to me how the names are broken?
    Might it be a little confusing? Yeah, but I don't see how it's broken, I can still train the skills just fine. I personally don't see how having to read the description means its broken.

As for fixing things, really? Sure they're renaming a few things to become easier to understand, great makes sense no arguements here, doesn't effect me in the slightest, but I can't really argue about the change when it makes sense. But take for example the PI skills they're scattering them across multiple catagories. How is this helpful or useful?

CCP Ytterbium wrote:
    Planetology and Subsystem groups:
  • If possible we would like to separate skills by purpose, not feature. For instance we are not splitting Sience skills if they are based on Tech2 Invention or Tech3 reverse engineering.

• I'm fairly sure the purpose of the Planet Management skills is to manage planets, they don't do anything else so why shove them into a bunch of different catagories? Your just undoing the work this change is meant to be doing.
    Sure I get you want to put all the scanning skills together but when the scanning skills only reflect one catagory just leave it in said catagory.
    The PI scanning and managemeant is all handled by the same UI so the skills should also stay in the same catagory. It's not as if I have to jump in a scanning ship to do this, its just pulling a slider left and right so its not even really scanning per se, more so a feature on the planet management UI.

As for the subsystem skills I do think it would be wise to leave them in their seperate catagory, due to the special circumstances regarding the skill loss on ship loss.

Edit:

Harvey James wrote:
    there are loads of inconsistencies with skills names and effects.
    Drone skills need a good re balance and new ones added

Guns need sorting out needing small specs in order to train large specs make no sense.

add a shield extender efficiency skill that reduces sig rad penalty by 5% on shield extenders

Gotta agree on these points.
    Drones are a bit of a messy to be honest and could do with a little love to sort them out.

Specializing in small guns just so you can specialize in large guns really makes no sense at all. Switch it to the way missles work. You know specializing in the areas you actually want to be good at....

Amour tanking got Armour Honeycombing, wheres my shield honey huh? HUH? But in all seriousness I do believe this should be balanced.
    While your at it mabye even throw in an X-Large shield extender so that we're also on par with the 1600mm plates....Blink