These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Import/export of settings! - How do you want it to work?

First post First post
Author
Rhyarkh
Slow Match
#41 - 2013-06-21 09:52:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Rhyarkh
Hi there,

oh, I am REALLY happy to hear that you want to improve this thing as it's a pain in the a**, currently :).

1) What settings would you like to have stored?

Basically just everything, every possible setting. But I don't need to be able to save/export and restore/import every single setting individually, groups of settings would be enough. Some groups could be (the list is not complete):

• Every tab in the ESC menu should be an own group (Display & Graphics, Audio & Chat, General Settings, Shortcuts, ...).
  • Window positions and window sizes (including column widths of tables in overview, market, scanner, ...) and Neocom position, size and icons on it.
  • Overview settings (including ALL overview settings: Appearance tab, Columns tab, ...).
  • Fittings
  • Filter presets (scanning, inventory, ...)
  • Drone groups (
  • Entered chat rooms
  • Notepad content
  • Browser settings, bookmarks

It should be still possible to export single overview presets, fittings and filter presets. But not necessarily in a general export function. These single export functions already exist in game.

2) How would you expect the synchronization (import/export) to function? What would the interaction be?

Exporting the settings to a specific file that name I can choose would be great. It would be great if I can choose between "store all in one single file" and "create for every group one single file". Importing could work just like other import features already work: Selecting the file, pressing something like "ok", getting a list of possible setting groups, selecting all/none/some of the settings and import them.

But here is another really fancy solution: I'd would be really great, if I can set one character as "master". This should be local to my computer since I think saving this on your servers isn't the best idea. (Some player may want to be able to set more than 1 character as "master").

Then I want to be able to set a different character (even on a different account - this is important!) as "derived character" or "clone". I want to be able to select all or just some of the groups I mentioned above (remember, the groups in the list above aren't complete). Afterwards, my derived or cloned characters automatically import every time I log in the up-to-date settings of my master character.

(If it's just local to my computer, it shouldn't be a problem the share settings between different accounts.)

When I'm logged in with my master character and a clone character at the same time and I change settings on my master character, it would be cool if the update on the clone character is immediately without relogging. But the need of relogging would be still fine, though.

There are maybe some things that you have to think about that they aren't updated every time (like "which window was opened the last time on the master character" and so on), but this feature would be really great.

One thing to mention: screen resolution. Window sizes and positions (including column width of tables) should be saved for each screen resolution individually. That makes it easier for different resolutions. It would be nice if the position and size is stored for e.g. 1280x1600, 1920x1200, 800x600 (including rounding up and down if the solution is e.g. 750x 555 if a player is using window mode).

3) How would you go about sharing settings with other players? (directly or in-directly)

Besides the master-clone feature I talked above, importing and exporting to a file or files would be enough. Then I can send the files to friends via email.

Regards

Rhyarkh

Edit: Hmm ... if everything is stored on the CCP servers, my master-clone idea might be a bit harder to implement ... but maybe not. You could restrict it to real persons which could mean that the billing addresses of accounts must be the same to be able to be a clone of a master. Another idea is that the master has to unlock his settings for every clone explicitly.

And if I think about the "graphics issue on different screens", I feel more and more comfortable with the idea to save window positions and sizes for each screen resolution independently.
Mourning Souls
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2013-06-23 16:12:30 UTC
How: Simple file swap/addition. Like how overview settings sharing is supposed to work (But doesn't for me).

What: I'm happy with just basic UI stuff, window positions and sizes, pinned or not, etc. Bonus points for anything else though.
Bum Shadow
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#43 - 2013-06-24 01:56:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Bum Shadow
New chat channels and new private conversations should remember your damn chat settings. (Compact member list, text only, highlight my chat, timestamp)

Please just......please do this. please.

Otherwise full overview settings
chat channels
all settings that are none hardware specific basically (So not the graphics options obviously)

As for exporting. I'd do this in a similar manner to how you make an API key, where you click "export" and you get a list of areas you can add to the exported file. You click them up. click "export" and it will make a file with those settings. When importing you do the reverse obviously.
Stigman Zuwadza
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#44 - 2013-06-24 07:05:23 UTC
What is definitely needed is per character settings and not per account.

As to what settings to keep, as many as possible. Big smile

It's broken and it's been broken for a long time and it'll be broken for some time to come.

raawe
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#45 - 2013-06-24 10:46:57 UTC
IMO every option should be saved, mainly overview, backgrounds, tabs in overview and brackets because these things are the most important. Then you should also add video & sound options, drones groups, window placement etc. Import/export should be via file like now and you should be asked what options you want to take.
Strockhov
The Shire
#46 - 2013-06-24 18:12:14 UTC
As everyone has said, the more settings the better. What I want to see is the ability to share partial settings easily. If I want to share my over view settings, I don't want to include my chat settings or shortcuts. Maybe some mechanism like the the API key manager. It should allow you to generate a mask of settings to include.
Ganthrithor
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#47 - 2013-06-25 04:38:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Ganthrithor
I don't really care so much about sharing all UI settings as presets through a website (presumably varieties of screen resolutions etc would limit the usefulness of presets that contained things like UI size and window positions). What I would like is a way to normalize settings across all my accounts quickly. Basically I'd like to be able to:

- Install a new client

- Configure character 1's UI, channel settings, overview, keybinds, graphics settings, etc-- basically every configurable option in the game. The more the better.

- Log in to all my remaining accounts and characters using this initial client install

- Copy / install additional clients

- Run a script that applies character 1's settings to all characters on all accounts for all the discreet client installations

So, essentially, say I have four accounts (which I do): I install one client and configure all my settings once. Then I log in to all my accounts / characters to create the various config files for each (I guess you guys at CCP could probably code a way around this step, but this is what I have to do currently when I do this all by hand). Then the script replaces each character and account's config files with the ones from the first account / first character (again, this is how I do it by hand currently, by duplicating the template configs and re-naming them so they affect the appropriate chars/accounts). Then the utility takes this full collection of settings and applies them to all my EVE installs (currently IIRC I just do all the aforementioned to one install, then dupiicate it as necessary).

I'm sure you guys will try and do something more complicated and user-friendly than this, but really it would save me a ton of time just to have a basic GUI-based utility that automated these pretty basic steps. Currently it's just really time-consuming and annoying to have to do things like go look up your character ID numbers to determine which files need to be duplicated or renamed to what. I probably spend at least an hour or two doing all this stuff when necessary. Basically the only part of the game that works right now is the overview export function. Hell, even if you could just make the other settings work like the overview settings (export, import on the other characters / accounts as desired) that would still save a lot of time over doing everything by hand.

I really look forward to this added functionality. Currently it's at the point where, when considering the :effort: required to do a reformat on my PC, "having to re-do my EVE installations" is basically the most significant and off-putting item on the list. It shouldn't be this way.
Sir Dragon
Einherjar Yggdrasils
#48 - 2013-06-26 13:45:36 UTC
The lack of simplicity is not an sufficient antecedent form making everything, related, simplistic.

"What the helm am I on about" ?

Consider me as more of an very concerned father figure towards EVE's well being:
red eyes, frothing at the mouth, wielding a dented bat.
Yet this is just text that does not scream...
Nor do I wield any malice nor loath...
And I am very thankfull for being asked of my opinion towards said case.

Lets not go overboard with this "exportation of settings" :
Would not generating this "export import" feature,
causes us to take an already flawless system,
hack it to pieces,
to that end of,
making it more "player whinnying" compatible.

All that is really needed is an "load configuration file" button. [ ( local file , and of course save button) ]
A button that would be inside of "esc->Shortcuts" 's lower right corner,
along side the button "Defaults".

I must protest and warn you away from something / anything along the lines of:
Going all " Adrian!! " -- quoting rocky (don't forget the theme song)
on the "new incoming system feature"
with the result of creating an failed monstrosity that is an
encrypted server that:
manages passwords,
protects content,
demands an entire crew to "upkeep",
"with respect" [insert any idea that is on this forum's post] ,
etc etc.

So ofcrouse, 2 months into the development . . . (of said monstrosity)
we never could stare our own egos down, and
admit our mistake; thus,
we would scrap the entire [old/pre-existing] "settings system",
just to make it "adaptable and simplistic" enough to fit the new monstrosity.
Ultimately, creating an environment that is " apply face to keyboard " adaptable.

When all we really needed was a "load settings" button, inside of "esc->shortcuts",
snuggling away beside the button "default".

Pantera Home Videos:    http://pktube.onepakistan.com/video/ck2ykdBrDRM/Pantera-Vulgar-Video-Full-Completo.html  ;  http://pktube.onepakistan.com/video/xpma3u7OjfU/Pantera-Watch-It-Go-Full-Completo-CD1.html ;    http://pktube.onepakistan.com/video/yyO9rAx8eoQ/Pantera-Watch-It-Go-Full-Completo-CD2.html .
Infinite Force
#49 - 2013-06-26 16:50:12 UTC
Quote:

- Overview / Tabs / Etc
- Open Windows & their positions
- All 'esc' options - exception, graphical options (e.g. screen resolution, texturing, etc.)

Quote:
2) How would you expect the synchronization (import/export) to function? What would the interaction be?

- esc / export settings
- esc / import settings
-- similar to how the overview filters work now

Quote:
3) How would you go about sharing settings with other players? (directly or in-directly)

- several good solutions have been proposed already.

I think that while some settings lend themselves to be stored on the server, most, if not all, of these settings should be kept locally.

People that play on mutiple computers need to keep those settings (window layouts, screen resolutions, for instance) seperate for a given character - and if those are stored server-side, then playing on a large dual-monitor desktop will break when you go to play on a much smaller laptop.

HROLT CEO Live Free; Die Proud

http://tinyurl.com/95zmyzw - The only way to go!

Alexila Quant
Versatility Production Corporation' LLC
#50 - 2013-06-26 21:29:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Alexila Quant

There should be options.
[x] Store Window Positions
[x] Store Keyboard Layout
[x] Store Overview Tabs
[x] Store Overview Presets
[x] Store Overview Appearance Settings (Column settings, color settings (Blinky or not blinky and in what order of priority(More nested parenthesis)))
[x] Store Chat Channels
[x] Store Graphics Settings
[x] Store General Settings (Merge station panel, lock windows if pinned, color schemes ETC ETC)

[ALL] This button will for all intensive purposes, make a copy of the CORE_USER_.dat and CORE_CHAR_.dat files and allow you to import them to another character.

Something like a button in the escape menu that when pressed brings up a dialogue with the options listed above (plus what ever obvious options I forgot) with Update, Import and Export buttons on the bottom.

When Exporting it will export only the checked categories.
When Importing it will only import the checked categories.
As a side note to importing, I would not expect this to overwrite my current chat channels if I import channels. It would only put me in the channels that I'm not in.

When Updating it will overwrite the settings of a chosen file for the selected profile. So say I have a profile for missioning but when I made it I forgot to name an overview tab but I've moved windows or other things around from where I want the default positions of those windows to be in my profile. What I can do is simply check ONLY "Store Overview Tabs" and uncheck everything else. When I hit Update and select my previously saved mission profile it will only update the overview tabs settings in that profile and leave everything else in tact.

I don't know that I would share my settings with other players super often, but this would absolutely be used to sync all my setting profiles on all my characters and be able to easily switch from one activity to another. For instance if I want to go run some missions I can switch to a mission preset. If I want to go roam lowsec I can switch to a lowsec preset. If I want to go into a wormhole I can have yet another preset for that.

As for sharing in an alliance type situation this can make it MUCH easier to get everyone in the correct intel channels, and have standardized overview tabs and presets for fleet fights. Just simply post a master settings profile on the forums and have everyone grab it when they join so that they have the basic settings correct.

EDIT: I misunderstood number 3. The method I would expect to use would be a file transfer service of some sort. Something built into the game would be amazing but the likelyhood of that is... well, slim.

Well I think that's all I've got. Been a long time coming (this feature)
Haifisch Zahne
Hraka Manufacture GmbH
#51 - 2013-06-27 23:35:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Haifisch Zahne
If settings could be saved in some kind of folder in the game (much like bookmarks are, but better) and given names, with the ability to drag and drop into chat/mail/notes/profiles, etc., it would be nice. There could then be an option (right click or "radial menu") to download the settings (albeit not as important as CCP would have them saved for us).

Which settings? In the immortal words of Stansfield, "EVERYONE!!!"
Bakuhz
NED-Clan
Goonswarm Federation
#52 - 2013-06-30 10:23:05 UTC
CCP Fear wrote:
Hello all!

Something that comes up again and again is making how you import/export and share settings better. In some cases it's non-existant. In others it's a overly complex to do. (I'm looking at you Overview.. Especially on a Mac!)

So I've been pondering over it, look around and trying to get a better picture on how it should function within EVE. So here I am and I want your input on it!

Here are a couple of thing I would like your input on, but don't let that discourage you to give general input and feedback on the topic.

These are just some basic questions to get the discussion going. Feel free to add any more within the realm of sharing/import/export of settings.

Best
CCP Fear

what would be great if the overview tabs setup and the settings of it would be tranferable ingame to another player
maybe make it possible to have an option in corporation and alliance control panel to save setups that people can load with a click of a button.

and make it possible to have more then 5 tabs in the overview it is not enough.
i have 2 sets for pvp 1 for drones 3 for PVE 1 for travel and 1 for loot. and for ECM pilots i advice a ECM pvp tab

not that i need 10 tabs but make it possible to instead of 5 max have 7 to 8 tabs possible.
this will give more configuration options to quickly asses situations.

one thing some of the younger ecm pilots.
why not makign the overview settigns menu a bit more diverse and instead of havign checkboxes or frigates destroyers etc etc...
have every ship itself in it like punisher, rigter, maulus , celestis, blackbird and so on.

the ecm pilots might want to configure 4 racial ecm tabs to quicly check what ships are in the field and what form of ewar
they can use.

one thing what woudl be awesome is when i made my setup of the HUD overview chat channels etc.
that you can save the size layout and position in a file
that you can export to your alts and other accounts.

can save you alot of time doing the same thing all over again

https://zkillboard.com/character/584042527/

Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#53 - 2013-06-30 16:18:17 UTC
I would like most of my settings to be stored server side if at all possible, so I can play comfortably on a different computer if necessary or if I get a new one. Wrangling all my windows and hotkeys is a long drawn out progress and a complete pain in the ass.

Graphical and sound settings should be stored on the PC they are associated with, but everything else should be able to be serve side.

I would like the following saved:
hotkeys
drone settings
window position and status (including having it remember what pinning should do)
chat channels in use
autopilot settings
neocom setup
overview

when it comes to the general settings, a file saved on your computer is good, then you can share it between different accounts of yours or back it up. The overview, however might benefit from a method to share it in game with other people like fittings since it's complicated, but there are some efficient setups around that people spend time trying to recreate from scratch.
Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#54 - 2013-07-01 07:02:25 UTC
CCP Fear wrote:

ALL THE SETTINGS!
CCP Fear wrote:

one button for export and one button for import for each settings category
CCP Fear wrote:

WinZipping the files and emailing them?

Roll
Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#55 - 2013-07-01 10:52:00 UTC
The answer is really quite simple... when I export my settings and import them onto another computer, everything should be exactly like it was on the first computer, hardware permitting. Since EVE is obviously able to store the settings persistently on the first computer (well, most of the time at least), surely it shouldn't be too hard to export everything?

And please hurry, I'm planning to buy a new computer this month Big smile

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#56 - 2013-07-01 17:07:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
When it comes to import/export the most crucial element (out of all the elements that would benefit from an update) would be the Overview... but I have to say, any serious work on this should probably come hand in had with a complete rework of the Overview first.

Currently it is far too convoluted to set up an Overview properly, and whether people admit it or not this is probably (in reality) one of the largest reasons why many people don't take their first steps into PVP. People learn quickly that it is very easy to mess up a your settings to show targets properly, and currently the only way to test it is when hostiles are present (obviously highly problematic).

I know that isn't your focus, but I am concerned that considering how complex an improved import/export function for the Overview would need to be (a lot of work there) that the work might be done for nothing if the Overview is eventually redone... or worse yet used as a (valid) reason for putting off an Overview rework.

All that being said I just got a replacement computer, and I have to say I am NOT looking forward to setting everything up again even with the limited import/export we already have. A lot of my Quick Bar stuff for the markets is going to end up being a pain I think in particular (haven't checked that out yet, so maybe I'll be pleasently surprised).

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Shade Alidiana
PROSPERO Corporation
#57 - 2013-07-02 10:01:43 UTC
I would like to save everything with the only exception for graphics and for it to be stored on server (probably dublicated with an option to restore from server and with a few backups there. 2-3 I don't know. They're not too heavy anyway...

Import-export - both locally to a file and through a server, without a need to alttab or anything (and make it linkable, like "send my settings to" or something similar). Last thing is to share them, not only carry through all clients.
Magic Crisp
Amarrian Micro Devices
#58 - 2013-07-02 13:48:24 UTC
Make it so, when a GM tricks us into a "reset settings" action, we can recover from the damage. Simple as that :)
Andre Moonrise
Somali Sailors
#59 - 2013-07-03 12:32:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Andre Moonrise
Tread carefully please, i for example have multiple symlinks set up to have different cache/settings for different purposes when playing eve.

I guess being able to save/load presets would solve this.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#60 - 2013-07-05 11:25:39 UTC
CCP Fear wrote:
Hello all!

Something that comes up again and again is making how you import/export and share settings better. In some cases it's non-existant. In others it's a overly complex to do. (I'm looking at you Overview.. Especially on a Mac!)

So I've been pondering over it, look around and trying to get a better picture on how it should function within EVE. So here I am and I want your input on it!

Here are a couple of thing I would like your input on, but don't let that discourage you to give general input and feedback on the topic.

These are just some basic questions to get the discussion going. Feel free to add any more within the realm of sharing/import/export of settings.

Best
CCP Fear

Let me save my overview settings to create a tradeable in-game item. 1 token = 1 overview tab. When someone trades you the token, it adds the completely set up tab to their overview.

Please

Please

Please

Even if it costs ISK to make, just let us make these tokens and reproduce them and put them on contract, I don't care, it's worth it.

Being able to quickly and easily set up new players with properly configured overviews would be an absolute god-send both to the new players and the experienced players who want to work with them in-game.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016