These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Dead Island OMG!

Author
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2011-09-08 16:36:17 UTC
Freaking FUN! Easily the most fun I have had in any game in a very long time. No offense CCP but EvE does not have proper zombies with heads to smash. No Sansha's don't count.

Still a few glitches in the game but it is amazing. Kind of like Oblivion meets Borderlands meets Dead Rising.

120% absolute best game of the year for me so far. We will see what Skyrim holds in store in November.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Blacksquirrel
Doomheim
#2 - 2011-09-08 17:13:15 UTC
A fan of the first trailer and downloaded the theme song to it.

I heard it was fun, but have enough zombie games to play already, and single player games I find are best to wait on for price drops.


That and im waiting for BF3 to come out...and thus suck up my life into a destructible environment shooting, bombing void.
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-09-08 18:24:58 UTC
There is a 4 playier Co-Op option in the game but currently not functioning. It's supposed to be patched this weekend. It honestly isn't like any of the other zombie shooters I have ever played. There is a certain satisfaction to jump kicking a zombie in the head only to follow up by stomping on his head to crush it. Most of the combat so far has been using knives, pipes and bats. Made a flaming bat...thats pretty fun.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#4 - 2011-09-08 19:17:46 UTC
I'm enjoying it quite a bit, too. Good break after some of the more complicated games i've been playing lately. Graphics are great, and just wandering around aimlessly is fun.

Only qualms so far is that weapons seem to break too easily and the world is TOO wide open, which is a good problem to have.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-09-08 20:26:01 UTC
Bane Necran wrote:
I'm enjoying it quite a bit, too. Good break after some of the more complicated games i've been playing lately. Graphics are great, and just wandering around aimlessly is fun.

Only qualms so far is that weapons seem to break too easily and the world is TOO wide open, which is a good problem to have.



I agree that the weapon degradation is a little extreme. I have a feeling they will patch it eventually. It is also really expensive to repair the items.

Other than that my only complaint is the music. Sometimes it has sounds in the music that sound like screaming zombies and it throws you off. I turned off the music for this reason.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Alpheias
The Khaleph
#6 - 2011-09-09 14:02:24 UTC
Huh? I enjoy the fact that weapons deteriorate so fast, makes you be on your toes and I feel that the huge world is the biggest appeal, a Dead Island with a more narrow "corridor shooter" perspective would just be terrible.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#7 - 2011-09-09 14:27:45 UTC
I'm just not sure if i'm supposed to be certain places at certain times and whatnot, similar to the way other games are. For example, right at the beginning i felt inclined to comb the entire map looking for anyone i had to rescue, fearing they'd be dead if i left them too long. That makes the giant free roaming map a bit overwhelming, but like i said, it's a good problem to have. The people might even wait forever, making my efforts unnecessary.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Verone
Veto Corp
#8 - 2011-09-10 01:08:32 UTC
This game is epic.

Verone CEO & Executor Veto Corp WWW.VETO-CORP.COM

NeoShocker
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#9 - 2011-09-10 02:37:33 UTC
I was actually hesitant from preordering this game. But since you guys recommend it, I might reconsider it. Please, some well written reviews here guys. :)

350+ steam games and haven't bought much for the past month (since summer sales, lol) TBH other than Deus Ex Revolution. :)
VKhaun Vex
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2011-09-10 04:57:12 UTC
I've been playing DAoC too much to really get into DI... probably shouldn't have bought it at all, but the game was fun for the little bit of it I tried at the start.

I was disappointed by the low field of view but later found you can play with the files and adjust that.

The doors being tied to story triggers bothers me. The very beginning requires you to do specific things before a hatch is clickable, and when you start there's a very interesting bunker down the shore but there's a gate you can't interact with between you and a 'portal' on your map to another location. I assume this is the same thing, and if I've seen two in the first ten minutes I don't think they're the only ones. It's strange to make a game so open, and then arbitrarily lock off some areas.

Weapons breaking extremely easily is annoying, but realistic for now. I wouldn't expect a wooden paddle or broomstick to be even as durable as it is in the game. I was surprised to see a shovel go to useless so quickly though. Hopefully purpose made metal weapons won't be so fragile...

Kicking is OP. At first it was very tricky trying to get used to the range and timing of fists but once I realized there was a kick button I went straight RTCWolfenstein on the motherfuckers and I'll probably just go ahead and set kick to my mouse 1 to save weapon condition. Too bad he can't just take his shoe off and put that over the end of a paddle because obviously those are indestructible.

Charges Twilight fans with Ka-bar -Surfin's PlunderBunny LIIIIIIIIIIINNEEEEE PIIIEEEECCCCEEE!!!!!!! -Taedrin Using relativity to irrational numbers is smart -rodyas I no longer believe we landed on the moon. -Atticus Fynch

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#11 - 2011-09-10 15:23:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Bane Necran
Yeah, kicking is very effective for taking out 'walkers' and 'infected, which make up most of what you encounter early on. Although i worry what someone walking in the room may think to see me curb stomping old ladies repeatedly. Lol Even the sounds can be a little unsettling. Don't even try kicking the more serious zombies, like rams and thugs, though, they hardly flinch. And even the walkers and infected are getting hard to deal with at level 15 using kick. They move much faster, and get up quicker.

In Act II now and and still having a blast. Got myself a gun, an armored truck, and a teenager acting as storage, for some reason unknown to me. In terms of sheer fun value this is better than Deus Ex or anything else i can think of recently. The plot is moving along smoothly, isn't assaulting me with massive walls of text for every little development, and the missions are all unique enough to not be repetitive. It's making me realize just how much i'm not enjoying most games, and only playing them to beat them.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2011-09-12 13:52:35 UTC
Kicking becomes far less effective as you get deeper into the game. I have also discovered a few skills that help with the weapon degradation issue. It is not as bad anymore. At the point I am at the game is getting quite hard to play solo. I am finding that I really do need some friends to help me along in a few situations unless I feel like just dying over and over and losing all my money.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Meridith Akesia
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2011-09-12 13:58:52 UTC
Bought this game the other day, been too busy to really get into it, but the hour or so i have played has been damn fun.

I havent really noticed all the bugs people have been complaining about, and the blunt weapon combat is oh so satisfying.
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#14 - 2011-09-12 22:25:29 UTC
Meridith Akesia wrote:
I havent really noticed all the bugs people have been complaining about


The only bug i've seen so far is the Y key one, which isn't really a bug at all, but something the devs forgot to disable before release. It's easy enough to just not press that key.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Jon Taggart
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2011-09-13 01:39:55 UTC
Bane Necran wrote:
Meridith Akesia wrote:
I havent really noticed all the bugs people have been complaining about


The only bug i've seen so far is the Y key one, which isn't really a bug at all, but something the devs forgot to disable before release. It's easy enough to just not press that key.


You may not be aware, but when the game first became available on Steam, the wrong version of the game was uploaded. The Dev Version of the game was issued to buyers by mistake. This meant that no clip was bound to a key, you could play in third person, and a slew of other bugs and issues because of this.

jason hill
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#16 - 2011-09-13 03:07:30 UTC
meh ... i downloaded the game tonight ... but for some reason it doesnt seem to like the scroll button on my mouse ...and its just a bog standard m$ mouse aswell
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#17 - 2011-09-13 03:27:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Bane Necran
Jon Taggart wrote:
Bane Necran wrote:
Meridith Akesia wrote:
I havent really noticed all the bugs people have been complaining about


The only bug i've seen so far is the Y key one, which isn't really a bug at all, but something the devs forgot to disable before release. It's easy enough to just not press that key.


You may not be aware, but when the game first became available on Steam, the wrong version of the game was uploaded. The Dev Version of the game was issued to buyers by mistake. This meant that no clip was bound to a key, you could play in third person, and a slew of other bugs and issues because of this.




Yeah, i heard about all that. The problems are probably due to it being a rushed port, or the people hired to do it were just plain lazy and missed a few details. But it's still very playable.

Coincidentally, There's an article i just read on Kotaku about how modders are banding together to fix any bugs. I may have just run into my first one int he form of a computer i'm supposed to download something from but no matter how many times i use it i dont get what i need. Hoping it sorts itself out when i load that game up again, or i just missed something after playing too long.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Jon Taggart
State War Academy
Caldari State
#18 - 2011-09-13 11:23:12 UTC
Bane Necran wrote:
Jon Taggart wrote:
Bane Necran wrote:
Meridith Akesia wrote:
I havent really noticed all the bugs people have been complaining about


The only bug i've seen so far is the Y key one, which isn't really a bug at all, but something the devs forgot to disable before release. It's easy enough to just not press that key.


You may not be aware, but when the game first became available on Steam, the wrong version of the game was uploaded. The Dev Version of the game was issued to buyers by mistake. This meant that no clip was bound to a key, you could play in third person, and a slew of other bugs and issues because of this.




Yeah, i heard about all that. The problems are probably due to it being a rushed port, or the people hired to do it were just plain lazy and missed a few details. But it's still very playable.

Coincidentally, There's an article i just read on Kotaku about how modders are banding together to fix any bugs. I may have just run into my first one int he form of a computer i'm supposed to download something from but no matter how many times i use it i dont get what i need. Hoping it sorts itself out when i load that game up again, or i just missed something after playing too long.


That's the big reason why I'm excited about eventually buying this game. The modding potential is enormous. I'm still finding awesome mods for games like Morrowind and Oblivion, and enjoying the heck out of them still because of it.
VKhaun Vex
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#19 - 2011-09-13 16:04:00 UTC
Am I the only one completely ASTOUNDED that there is no active block/parry button?

Charges Twilight fans with Ka-bar -Surfin's PlunderBunny LIIIIIIIIIIINNEEEEE PIIIEEEECCCCEEE!!!!!!! -Taedrin Using relativity to irrational numbers is smart -rodyas I no longer believe we landed on the moon. -Atticus Fynch

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#20 - 2011-09-13 17:08:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Bane Necran
VKhaun Vex wrote:
Am I the only one completely ASTOUNDED that there is no active block/parry button?


Wouldn't say i'm astounded there is none, but i do find myself trying to block now and then when panicked.

Not sure how well blocking would fit, though. Combat is pretty fast paced, and you'd probably find yourself surrounded or run over while you're standing there blocking. In games like Oblivion you could take your time.

There's also how zombies tend to grab your arms and try to bite your throat whenever close, which would make blocking kind of redundant.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

12Next page