These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

At what point is something an Exploit and not game Mechanics ? Bumped for 60 Minutes

First post First post First post
Author
Istyn
Freight Club
#401 - 2013-07-03 17:02:24 UTC
I actually tried to watch that video and it's pretty clear that those ludicrously obnoxious clicks are a greater crime than anything done to the freighter pilot.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#402 - 2013-07-03 17:25:11 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:

Quote:
Bad form using a bad mechanic

The mechanic is fine, but yes we're heartless assholes. Deal with it.
Quote:
Nah not really, but it would justify having diminishing returns, or justify an addition to the mechanic that allows for Eve play.

You know, sandbox

The "sandbox" concept is inherently against any and all rules on what players can do to one another. If you want to argue for a true sandbox, one needs to remove concord. Let other players freely stop us from attacking the freighter.

Well, I don't think it taking you an hour to finish the job is a testament to your levels of cruelty, but if it were, as you suggest, that could be cause for griefing since profit would be clearly not the intention. Be mindful of your claims.

Your shortcomings to ability is not an excuse. That gank was such pisspoor performance I don't think even trying to justify it is good, or any indication of you trying to say that was intended (which would be way worse lol).

Now, concerning sandbox, and your response.. I like the idea! I HATE highsec above all the other sectors. I think a lot of the mechanics are terrible. I think a lot of player abuse of those mechanics are very reminiscient of early 1990's gaming and is not a testament to skill, but that is neither here nor there.

Such as your comment about "deal with it". Do not mistaken my charitable contributions on behalf of the victim to think I'm soft. I'm not.

I assure you, I am most likely quite a bit more heartless than you would ever make yourself seem to be.

But that isn't the point! If you wish to travel down THAT path then by all means we can compare e-peens on that regard.

But this isn't a competition about who can abuse what, this is a discussion about freedom of choice. I'm not saying the pirates or the victims are in the right, nor the wrong.

It's a ****** mechanic that got abused. On paper, you can argue about the semantics of the written word, but I would suggest rewatching the video.

You can choose to claim it as cruelty, or you can claim it as lack of ability, matters not which. That's up to you to decide.

Point being, if you can't do a job well, don't bother trying. Using a mechanic as a crutch is NOT what being a sandbox means.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#403 - 2013-07-03 17:32:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
I did not make up the timer.
…and no-one said you did.

Reread your posts. You inferred it. If you want to be obtuse, then you're going to have to excuse my assumptions.

Quote:
…just like Orcas. And no, Freighters are not special. They most certainly aren't special in any way that should let them abuse a mechanic that was put in place specifically to put an end to that kind of abuse.

If a Freighter gets itself mixed up in something it can't handle, it should die, just like every other ship. It's really as simple as that. The solution to this problem is not to start doling out game-breaking special rules for freighters, but for freighter pilots to stop getting themselves mixed up in things they can't handle.

I agree. I also agree that pirates shouldn't be able to use a mechanic to the advantage of not being able to accomplish that same goal. It taking 1 hour
+ (edit- sorry I typed 2) to kill a freighter in highsec is not the same as killing a capital in null. The sandbox, mechanic, meta game etc are all very different as it is a very different circumstance. Hence why there should be diminishing returns on such a thing.

Quote:
No. I'm saying that claiming that it's broken because it drags on for an hour is wrong — the reason it drags out for an hour is because neither side wants to give in. I'm saying that time and brokenness are not connected.

And I'm saying it's broken because it was used as a griefing tool and a crutch to accomplish something that wasn't able to with what should be an "acceptable" amount of time to be able to. Do not forget, this is an opinion thread. Whether you agree with mine or I do not agree with your's... it's a ****** situation that shouldn't have happened in the first place. Be it prudent planning or better execution. But an hour to kill something in highsec is ******* ********.

Quote:
He's saying that freighter ganks are ridiculously rare events — not something that's done to excess or that creates excessive risk for freighters.

I don't understand how you are speaking for baltec. I answered his question with an answer and a question of my own.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#404 - 2013-07-03 18:16:17 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Reread your posts. You inferred it.
No. I said that you made up the nonsense about “victims are aggressors. Stop inventing things I never said.

Quote:
I agree. I also agree that pirates shouldn't be able to use a mechanic to the advantage
So you don't agree. Stop inventing things I never said.

Why should pirates, completely arbitrarily, not be able to make use of this mechanic to ensure that the target can't get away without dying (which they would otherwise be able to) when the mechanic was put into the game for the express purpose of ensuring that targets can't get away without dying (which they would otherwise be able to)?

Quote:
And I'm saying it's broken because it was used as a griefing tool and a crutch
…except of course, that it's not griefing, and that it's not a crutch. It's a counter to a crutch that was used for many years to make people get out of situations that they had no business getting out of. It is also done in an acceptable time — 15 minutes — unless the target is slippery enough to avoid destruction for long enough, in which case who knows how long the chase might go on. Probably until either side gives up or until either side finally manages to press home their advantage. This can go on for hours.

It's excellent game design that these kinds of long-lasting struggles can happen. Oh, and it doesn't take an hour to kill something in highsec. It takes ~15 seconds. It apparently does take about an hour to finally catch the target, though — at least if he's struggling. This also shows that, quite contrary to the lies some people try to spread, the victim is far from helpless…

Quote:
I don't understand how you are speaking for baltec
By easily understanding the connection he made and explaining it to you since you didn't.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#405 - 2013-07-03 18:22:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Reread your posts. You inferred it.
No. I said that you made up the nonsense about “victims are aggressors. Stop inventing things I never said.

Quote:
I agree. I also agree that pirates shouldn't be able to use a mechanic to the advantage
So you don't agree. Stop inventing things I never said.

Why should pirates, completely arbitrarily, not be able to make use of this mechanic to ensure that the target can't get away without dying (which they would otherwise be able to) when the mechanic was put into the game for the express purpose of ensuring that targets can't get away without dying (which they would otherwise be able to)?

Quote:
And I'm saying it's broken because it was used as a griefing tool and a crutch
…except of course, that it's not griefing, and that it's not a crutch. It's a counter to a crutch that was used for many years to make people get out of situations that they had no business getting out of. It is also done in an acceptable time — 15 minutes — unless the target is slippery enough to avoid destruction for long enough, in which case who knows how long the chase might go on. Probably until either side gives up or until either side finally manages to press home their advantage. This can go on for hours.

It's excellent game design that these kinds of long-lasting struggles can happen. Oh, and it doesn't take an hour to kill something in highsec. It takes ~15 seconds. It apparently does take about an hour to finally catch the target, though — at least if he's struggling. This also shows that, quite contrary to the lies some people try to spread, the victim is far from helpless…

Quote:
I don't understand how you are speaking for baltec
By easily understanding the connection he made and explaining it to you since you didn't.

Untrue on all counts.

1, you did infer it. Stop saying you didnt when you did. I'm not making up the victim is an aggressor. The timer is right there. Again, a ship has no way to aggress, therefore it CANNOT cause an aggression timer. It is simply a victim, and because it became a victim, it cannot log off. You said this is for capitals so they could not escape a fight. Freighters don't fight. She did NOT deserve the unwanted attentions of the male aggressor for wearing a short skirt. Stop implying she does (in this case).

2, I do agree that if it should die, it should. Again, you started that, I agreed. Stop inventing things I never said. I never said I do not agree. They didn't call in support, they didn't plan it all, they used alts to keep a timer alive that shouldn't be there in the first place. Pirates do not try to find fights. They find victims. Yet you try to ignore this fact. Piracy and freighting both, unless in a really rare circumstance (I don't think this qualifies) involve victimization. Not consensual pvp. Pisspoor performance on the gankers part. They even hid off the GCC (another mechanic sandboxed?) as to not lose their precious tools.

3, Pirates should not arbitrarily abuse a mechanic if they can't do the job. That mechanic should allow them the attempt, but not do the work for them. A logoff timer allows aggression to commence sure... but at what point does it become excessive and abusive? You said days. DAYS.

It did not take the victim over an hour to be caught. It took over an hour, of the freighter pilot flopping helplessly until he was blown up.

Nothing of that shows skill or using a ship to its fullest extent or ability. It only shows the abuse of a mechanic to make it to where the freighter pilot, on his own (yes solo) was not able to do anything to escape.

Stop trying to make it out to be where he shouldn't have died. Noone is saying that! It shouldn't also take over an hour to get the job done.

That is in excess, no matter how you slice it.

It, was, **** poor, performance. On both sides. Many things could have been done to prevent such a thing. But it wasn't. Both sides screwed up.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#406 - 2013-07-03 18:25:16 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Untrue on all counts.
So you can't think of anything that actually disproves any of what I said, then.
Goodie. I accept your surrender to facts.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#407 - 2013-07-03 18:34:49 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Untrue on all counts.
So you can't think of anything that actually disproves any of what I said, then.
Goodie. I accept your surrender to facts.

Don't be a tool.

Abishai
#408 - 2013-07-03 18:37:09 UTC
The only reason I have a problem with resetting the agression timer in this situation is due to thave fact it was done in high-sec.

There is no way for him or anyone else to agress the bumpers without getting concorded, meanwhile they continue to bring in expendable ships to extend agression and prevent him from taking any action.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#409 - 2013-07-03 18:40:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Abishai wrote:
The only reason I have a problem with resetting the agression timer in this situation is due to thave fact it was done in high-sec.

There is no way for him or anyone else to agress the bumpers without getting concorded, meanwhile they continue to bring in expendable ships to extend agression and prevent him from taking any action.

I think a combination of elements involved prove that the system is not working as intended. This was not a case of showing why the timers are in place, but a good show as to how you can exploit them.

Of course, a caveat would be that if the entire job was done with just noobships, that would be different. But that's not the case.

Istyn
Freight Club
#410 - 2013-07-03 18:43:59 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:

Such as your comment about "deal with it". Do not mistaken my charitable contributions on behalf of the victim to think I'm soft. I'm not.

I assure you, I am most likely quite a bit more heartless than you would ever make yourself seem to be.

http://i.imgur.com/XxjdQc8.jpg
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#411 - 2013-07-03 18:46:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Murk Paradox wrote:
Don't be a tool.
So you still can't think of anything that actually disproves any of what I said, then.
Goodie. I accept your surrender to facts once again.

Abishai wrote:

You don't have to aggress the bumper to make them fail. In fact, any of their tactics can be used against them: bump the bumpers; keep calling CONCORD to the scene so they have to move the bumpee another 150km out of the way, gank the gankers (many of them will be legitimate targets in one way or another); or just provide the victim with a good out. If you can web-sling him, that's one way. If you can provide a warp-in in-line with where they're bumping him, that's another.

All their strategies are made specifically to work within the confines of highsec. Steal them and make them your own.
Moth Eisig
Gallente Federation
#412 - 2013-07-03 19:02:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Moth Eisig
It's very unintuitive that prolonging a gank benefits the gankers. Concord should be attracted to prolonged bumping, follow it off grid, and show up in greater force the longer it goes on instead of just watching freighters get bumped away. What kind of police force would ignore obviously hostile actions like this?

If prolonged bumping attracted Concord attention, ganking would work more intuitively. The faster you pull it off, the less time security forces have to respond and the fewer ships you need to do it. If you take too long, it gets to the point where you need so many ships it's no longer profitable because of all the attention you've attracted, and the extra time you've given the target to call the police.

This also rewards skilled efficient ganking teams while giving gankers who can't get organized a harder time instead of letting them push people around indefinitely before finally getting enough people together to do the job.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#413 - 2013-07-03 19:03:08 UTC
Istyn wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

Awww how cute.

And irrelevant.

Maximillian German
Task Force Coalition
#414 - 2013-07-03 19:03:38 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Don't be a tool.
So you still can't think of anything that actually disproves any of what I said, then.

Abishai wrote:

You don't have to aggress the bumper to make them fail. In fact, any of their tactics can be used against them: bump the bumpers; keep calling CONCORD to the scene so they have to move the bumpee another 150km out of the way, gank the gankers (many of them will be legitimate targets in one way or another); or just provide the victim with a good out. If you can web-sling him, that's one way. If you can provide a warp-in in-line with where they're bumping him, that's another.

All their strategies are made specifically to work within the confines of highsec. Steal them and make them your own.

Hmm, I never thought to use the mechanics to keep bringing concord to you with an alt. Learn something new every day i guess.

That being said, trying to win an argument just by trying to sound smart is pretty see-through. Also, don't forget to claim internet victory since nobody is wiling to try and follow your derailed train of logic :/

Still, these are some great suggestions. Pluswan
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#415 - 2013-07-03 19:04:02 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Don't be a tool.

Again, don't be a tool.

You're just parroting nonsense now.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#416 - 2013-07-03 19:05:53 UTC
Maximillian German wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Don't be a tool.

Abishai wrote:

Hmm, I never thought to use the mechanics to keep bringing concord to you with an alt. Learn something new every day i guess.

That being said, trying to win an argument just by trying to sound smart is pretty see-through. Also, don't forget to claim internet victory since nobody is wiling to try and follow your derailed train of logic :/

Still, these are some great suggestions. Pluswan

If I remember correctly, baltec did say dragging Concord away was ok, but pre spawning them for protection was not.

Now... if Concord were to spawn in the middle of a fight....

Becareful which side you are on =P

Istyn
Freight Club
#417 - 2013-07-03 20:04:33 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Istyn wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

Awww how cute.

And irrelevant.

That is exactly what I thought about someone boasting about how 'heartless' they are randomly, so I couldn't resist.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#418 - 2013-07-03 20:23:08 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
1, you did infer it. Stop saying you didnt when you did. I'm not making up the victim is an aggressor. The timer is right there. Again, a ship has no way to aggress, therefore it CANNOT cause an aggression timer. It is simply a victim, and because it became a victim, it cannot log off. You said this is for capitals so they could not escape a fight. Freighters don't fight. She did NOT deserve the unwanted attentions of the male aggressor for wearing a short skirt. Stop implying she does (in this case).
No he didn't infer that. I've read the thread and he's referring to your talk regarding the capital pilot not being the aggressor. It's irrelevant they were not the aggressor, they are still subject to the timer because they were aggressed. No one has disputed the freighter CANNOT aggress, that's the point and that's what he was referring to.

Murk Paradox wrote:
2, I do agree that if it should die, it should. Again, you started that, I agreed. Stop inventing things I never said. I never said I do not agree. They didn't call in support, they didn't plan it all, they used alts to keep a timer alive that shouldn't be there in the first place. Pirates do not try to find fights. They find victims. Yet you try to ignore this fact. Piracy and freighting both, unless in a really rare circumstance (I don't think this qualifies) involve victimization. Not consensual pvp. Pisspoor performance on the gankers part. They even hid off the GCC (another mechanic sandboxed?) as to not lose their precious tools.
The only reason the timer was kept alive for so long, was due to the freighter pilot not using his head. People were stupid on both sides, but one stupid lost out in the end. This doesn't mean we should remove the aggression timer from freighters, it means people should stop being stupid first.

Murk Paradox wrote:
3, Pirates should not arbitrarily abuse a mechanic if they can't do the job. That mechanic should allow them the attempt, but not do the work for them. A logoff timer allows aggression to commence sure... but at what point does it become excessive and abusive? You said days. DAYS.

It did not take the victim over an hour to be caught. It took over an hour, of the freighter pilot flopping helplessly until he was blown up.

Nothing of that shows skill or using a ship to its fullest extent or ability. It only shows the abuse of a mechanic to make it to where the freighter pilot, on his own (yes solo) was not able to do anything to escape.
You couldn't keep the aggression timer going for days, but I digress.

He said the harassment could only sometimes be concluded after days of bumping the same person. There has to be intent shown over a long period, to be sure you have the right conclusion.
This is where the GM's have the final say. The bumping of this freighter for an hour however, was not harassment.

Murk Paradox wrote:
Stop trying to make it out to be where he shouldn't have died. Noone is saying that! It shouldn't also take over an hour to get the job done.

That is in excess, no matter how you slice it.

It, was, **** poor, performance. On both sides. Many things could have been done to prevent such a thing. But it wasn't. Both sides screwed up.
He shouldn't have died. Both sides were stupid, one side stopped being stupid before the other. Guess who lost.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#419 - 2013-07-03 20:23:37 UTC
Istyn wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Istyn wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

Awww how cute.

And irrelevant.

That is exactly what I thought about someone boasting about how 'heartless' they are randomly, so I couldn't resist.

Oh! My apologies. You meant to quote the other person then, not me. I wasn't the one who was boasting it (even mentioned it wasn't the point and should be taken for a separate conversation) nor was my reply random.

I should have just responded that you quoted the wrong person instead of just saying "...irrelevant".

Again, apologies for jumping the gun, I should have given you time to fix your post, my bad.

Tollen Gallen
Glory of Reprisal Enterprise
#420 - 2013-07-03 20:27:58 UTC
awww i missed the video Cry

Zimmy Zeta - I f*cking love martinis. the original ones, with gin, not that vodka martini crap. Your old Friends can use me for 7 days, free!!!